Unresponsive Query Wizard

Hi there,
I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data
from our SQL server.

When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current
data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not
appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using
task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works.

I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a
problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve
0
steveNO (9)
11/5/2007 10:15:57 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Dooza wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data
> from our SQL server.
>
> When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current
> data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not
> appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using
> task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works.
>
> I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a
> problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas?

We have tried removing and reinstalling MS Query but this has not
resolved the issue.

I was going to suggest the same with Office but I am not convinced this
will work either.

Its not just the Query Wizard, its the Query Editor too, when trying to
Edit Query it does the same. You can switch task in Task Manager and see
some of the query but not touch, and have to End Task it to close it.

We even tried with a blank document and it does the same.

Steve
0
steveNO (9)
11/5/2007 11:55:42 AM
Dooza wrote:
> Dooza wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data
>> from our SQL server.
>>
>> When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the
>> current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard
>> does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches
>> focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works.
>>
>> I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests
>> a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> We have tried removing and reinstalling MS Query but this has not
> resolved the issue.
>
> I was going to suggest the same with Office but I am not convinced this
> will work either.
>
> Its not just the Query Wizard, its the Query Editor too, when trying to
> Edit Query it does the same. You can switch task in Task Manager and see
> some of the query but not touch, and have to End Task it to close it.
>
> We even tried with a blank document and it does the same.

We have tried a repair installation option and that has not worked either.

Steve
0
steveNO (9)
11/5/2007 3:13:10 PM
Dooza wrote:
> Dooza wrote:
>> Dooza wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>> I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data
>>> from our SQL server.
>>>
>>> When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the
>>> current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard
>>> does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches
>>> focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works.
>>>
>>> I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which
>>> suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have
>>> any ideas?
>>
>> We have tried removing and reinstalling MS Query but this has not
>> resolved the issue.
>>
>> I was going to suggest the same with Office but I am not convinced
>> this will work either.
>>
>> Its not just the Query Wizard, its the Query Editor too, when trying
>> to Edit Query it does the same. You can switch task in Task Manager
>> and see some of the query but not touch, and have to End Task it to
>> close it.
>>
>> We even tried with a blank document and it does the same.
>
> We have tried a repair installation option and that has not worked either.
>
> Steve

UPDATE: This has now happened to my computer, not just my colleagues,
but I have found a workaround.

Open the spreadsheet, then go and find MSQRY32.EXE, it should be
somewhere in your Program Files folder. If you run it you should find it
works, then go back to Excel and edit data. MS Query will now show the
data and allow you to edit the SQL. Once finished editing you can click
on the return data button and away you go.

I managed to break my installation this afternoon by switching between
sheets, each with different SQL. I would love to get it working again
tho, so if anyone has some clever ideas :)

Steve
0
steveNO (9)

ADC query?
Hi all, As we have migrated our Ex5.5 servers over to Ex2K we have set up ADC Connection Agreements. Each new Exchange server is added to the Exchange site containing the old server and mailboxes moved using ADU&C. These connection agreements firstly point at the original 5.5 server on port 389 and once all of the mailboxes are on the new server we change them to point at the new server on port 379. We have a slightly different situation at one of our offices in that the old servers were in a different domain that we don't intend to keep. Therefore the new server is sitting in a ne...

Using Count or DCount in a query
I have several tables in a database, tracking membership signups by generation. Because it is important for us to track that each member gets 2 and only 2 sign-ups underneath them in a particular affialiate program, I designed the tables by generations of sign-ups, starting with a table labeled as FrontLine, and then 1stLevel, 2ndLevel, etc. I link the tables by using a one-to-many link in Front line from MemberId to MemberJoinedUnderId in 1st level, and so on and so forth. I now need to perform a query that displays each member that does not have two members signed underneath them. I w...

Missing Query
I have a couple of queries that I know are in my database because when I change the layout view to 'by type' it shows up. However, I do not see it under the table it is actually associated with and runs against. Help!!!!! ....Dana This must be Access 2007. There are some problems with the Navigation Pane, for example when it becomes a moving target, and there are patches out there. Make sure that you have the lastest service packs installed. It's also possible that there could be a corruption issue. Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption....

Exchange Store Event Sink Wizard
I am running Exchange on SBS 2003. MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/e2k3/e2k3/wsst_web_storage_system_event_sink_wizard.asp) says: Note: The Exchange Store Event Sink Wizard can only be implemented in Visual Basic 6.0 and not in Microsoft .NET Framework applications. As VB 6.0 is no longer available what can I do? I have Microsoft Visual Basic .NET I want to implement the disclaimer to outgoing SMTP messages as outlined in: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317680 P.S. Does anybody know how to get hold of VB 6.0? ...

Web query link to sheets
Hi - using Excel 2002 on Win XP I am trying to find out if I can copy data from a cell (that is update from a web query every five minutes, and to plot that data into a ne cell - so that the updated data increments down the spreadsheet - so can eventually plot graphs. For example - I am monitoring a weather station that updates a cell o my sheet with the atmospheric pressure. Every five minutes the shee refreshes and the data in that cell may change if the pressure readin has altered. How would I write a formula to take that cell data and t create a list of data readings so that I can plot ...

query help please
I posted this on the forum, but thought I'd post it here too. I need to add the words "dog food" to the extended description of every item in my "Dog Food" Department. If someone could please help with a SQL query so I wouldn't have to go into each item individually I sure would appreciate it. I just recently purchased a Star TSP100 Future print receipt printer, and it has the capability to print coupons at the end of the receipt depending on key words you specify that show up on the receipt. Using the extended description field to add keywords for th...

Help Needed in query
hello, everyone Help needed in query i have a table which have three field tabId tabPrtId tabSlab 1 11 50 2 11 100 3 11 150 4 11 200 tabId Is table id it is key also tabPrtId Is Party id in table tabSlab Is slab value now i want result like tabPrtId slabFrom slabTo 11 50 100 11 100 150 11 150 200 means for a particular party id i want to create slabs range -- fro...

Query to select from list
I have a table which contains one field "connector" which could contain one name or more than one name. Is there a way to build a query that will travel through the table and select the records that contain that person's name (John Smith)? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Are you saying you have multiple names in a single field? Or is that field for the name may have multiple records? The first is the wrong way to store data but if that is what you have then you can use this as criteria -- Like "*" & [Enter search name] & "...

Date query in Acceess
Hello there. I am a beginner with Access software. I have created a data base with this software that is used to have information about the missions in the office. This database has information about the name, cost, date etc. In addition the data base is not in English. I want to have a query that is calculating sum of the costs for each person in a month. I have tested 2 ways and couldn't get the result I am looking for. First, I made a query that has 3 fields: name, date and costs. Then I used Criteria for date like this: <#1386/08/01# which is our country date and all the dates in th...

Passing parameter from Query to vba
I have a table with field names like: Present Status Q3 Your satisfaction Q4 etc... when the field is populated it has one of many different answers Present Status Q3 could have Employed, part-time Employed, Full-time Not employeed but seeking etc... I started building IIf statements but they got very ugly very quickly and I did see something about no more than 2 so I started trying to pass this information into a module and cannot seem to get the paramaters to pass In the query I have Status:WrkStat([Present Status Q3]) and in moudle I have Public Function wrkstat([pre...

unresponsive
My laptop is running vista 32....recently it started after id shutdown to start not responding on all of the windows, i ran virus/spyware/adaware did registry cleaners such as reg mech and reg cure, cleaned up the pc and nothing was fixed, so i then went and updated any drivers that needed to be updated. I still have the problem but i can at least get onto the web which i couldnt previously or run any programmes, they do become unreponsive especialy if theres more than one. i get a lot of script errors too and i have just installed the latest java...now when i switch on i get a black...

Problem using rules wizard script
Hi there I'm have a problem using rules wizard script with outlook 2003 on a windows xp. I have got the follwoing code from the microsoft site: Sub CustomMailMessageRule(Item As Outlook.MailItem) MsgBox "Mail message arrived:" & Item.Subject End Sub In Outlook I activated the editor with Alt F11 and add this text in Project1 - Microsoft Outlook - ThisOutlookSession After this I created a rule checking the subject and excute the script CustomMailMessageRule. I restarted Outook and even the PC but the script doesn't come up. What did I miss ? Thanks in advance f...

Query criteria in a memo field
I have a notes field that is a memo field type. I am needing to do a query of the field and can't figure out how to do it. The field is a multivalued field. I tried "Allows dogs in unit" and it gave me a blank query. Can someone help me out? I would appreciate it. Thanks Gamefewel, I'm not sure I understand your question... Do you mean you typed "Allows dogs in unit" in the Criteria section and nothing showed? If so you could try placing the below on the Criteria line... Like "*Allows dogs in unit*" OR did you mean that your ...

Library wont erase deleted videos and library unresponsive
I deleted a bunch of movies from my library and there icons wont disappear and when i go inot manage library's it saids that the folders are unresponsive. i tried changing the folder but same thing happens.,.only happens with video's music works fine can anyone help me...help page was useless In WMP,click on tools,options,locate the settings to where the files are stored,edit if needed. "cisco" wrote: > I deleted a bunch of movies from my library and there icons wont disappear > and when i go inot manage library's it saids that the folders are ...

Query works on dev db, gets a Run-time error '3073': Operation must use an updateable query on Pre-prod.
Hello all, I have an update query that works fine in my Development database that I use to run ad hoc requests or tinker around with new stuff. The same query in a database I have set up as 'pre-prod' that I eventually convert to and accde and distribute to my users gets a "Run-time error '3073': Operation must use an updateable query." error. It seems pretty simple, here's the SQL: UPDATE DISTINCTROW tbltXSReport INNER JOIN qryDomesticNon ON tbltXSReport.CompanyNum = qryDomesticNon.CoNum SET tbltXSReport.Status = [qryDomesticNon]![Status]; tbltXSR...

Unresponsive toolbar
Hi I'm trying to use an outlook archive addin that came with our CRM software - this works fine on all the other machines but it is not working on a new build laptop (same version of office) There are two toolbars - one for the outlook main window and one for new messages - its the one for new messages that we have problems with. Upon installing the addin (by going to com addins and adding the dll file) the toolbar shows up and works fine in new messages. However, after that, the toolbar is unresponsive for creating any other new emails - by unresponsive i mean nothing is indented when y...

UPGRADE WIZARD ERROR
In the first screen of the Upgrade Wizard after I enter the database, password, etc, and I pressed the "Next" button, a message box appears saying "Overflow". What's happennig? I thought that maybe the database was too big, and then I created a simple database but it returned the same error. PLEASE HELP! ...

Unresponsive email
I can open my Outlook & see my emails. But the emails won't open and I get message Outlook not responding? How can I correct this? ...

IN query not working
Hi When I run an IN query as below I don't get eh desired results? SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Table1.ID In (SELECT [ID] from Table2) What is the problem and how to fix it? Am I better of using and equivalent EXISTS query? Thanks Regards ...

Running Query from form with wildcards
Based on a previous post, I used [Forms]![Search Form]![MLO #] in my query to refer to my form and put a command button to run the query. The MLO # is a catalog number in the form of ####-####. I am able to run the query for exact matches to the entire field but it doesn't work for ranges or matches to part of the field. Is there a way to use wild cards on the form? I've tried typing an expression on the form as I would on the query, such as >####-####. I also have a column for desciption refered to as [Forms]![Search Form]![Description] in my search. For this column we...

Select, update query--same query, different result
Hi I have an existing Update query that I just copied and converted to a Select query. When I run it as an Update query, I get 4 records. However, when I run it as a Select query, I get 411 records. It is the same query with the exception of Select vs. Update. Anyone know why this is? Paul Why did you not post the SQL so it could be looked at? -- Build a little, test a little. "Paul" wrote: > Hi > I have an existing Update query that I just copied and converted to a Select > query. When I run it as an Update query, I get 4 records. However, whe...

two-sided printer setup wizard, Publisher
In 2007 version of Publisher--- I try and run the 2-sided printer setup wizard using the bypass tray (called tray 1) on my printer (for heavy stock) and it will not work. Every time it still draws from tray 2, not tray 1. Is there a way to overide this? I have set the defaults in widows to pull from tray 1 and also in Publisher right before running this wizard to no avail. Most duplex units will not work with card stock. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "bc84" <bc84@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Query and Extract
Hello all, This seems basic, but I just cannot get it. While using SQL Server 2005 and the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, I created a database called AssetQuote. Inside I have on table called assetquotes. From there, I have three columns, (date, quote, author) The column type for date is datetime and the other two are just text. My Query is something this: INSERT INTO AssetQuote (date, quote, author) VALUES('052010','No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.', 'Aesop'); When I run the query I get this result: Msg 208, ...

Computer becomes unresponsive after installing updates.
Hi, I'm hoping someone could shed some light on some issues I've been having. I've just done a format and installed WinXPPro with SP2 and the computer. The automatic updates picks up a batch to download (approx 65), but whenever update KB956572 or KB959426 is installed, subsequence updates fail and the computer becomes unresponsive. I am unable to open IE or even notepad; any application will not launch and I'm forced to shutdown. After the restart, I can see the history by going to windows update via IE, and the failed updates all have the "Error Code: 0...

CrossTab Query that shows original data (text)
I am a scheduler and would like to build a pivot table in Excel or a Cross Tab Query in Access that shows the data in its original form (text) instead of calculating the count, sum, avg., etc. Row headings would have member’s names. Column headings would have times. Data items would be the name of the assignment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim G You can use a text field for the Value of a crosstab with FIRST or LAST or MIN or MAX. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.h...