Unmerge so I can sort

I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation
requires merged sells to be identically sized".  I understadn the work around
in KB but how do I find which sells are merged?
0
PaulH7436 (1)
2/23/2006 1:20:29 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I wouldn't bother looking.

I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort.

Select that range
format|cells|alignment tab
uncheck the merge cells box

But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination.  Select a
range, format|cells|alignment tab.

If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged.  If it's
grey, then part of that selection is merged.  If it's clear, then no merged
cells in the selection.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Can't open this item" error
Hello, I have an email that's been sitting in my Inbox for about three months. I can't delete it, reply to it, move it, forward it, anything. I always get an error "Can't open this item", "Unknow Error" etc. Is there a way to get rid of the email. I heard that Working Offline might work, but I don't know how to do that. Can you please help? Thanks, Joe Turn off the preview pane and see if you can now delete it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and fin...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

How can I graph using pictograms in excel?
I am looking for a way to represent data (say 3.5) in a pictogram that would consist of say 3.5 gingerbread men. I am willing to use a method as basic as finding clip art of what I want to use for the pictogram and having excel represent non-interger portions as a percent of the rectangle that forms the graphic (ie: gingerbread men). Thanks! I'm thinking you want to do something like this http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomSeriesFormatting.html "madrabbit7" <madrabbit7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94152091-FC4F-4A53-9466-58AED15...

Can a table be linked
It's been requested that a table in one worksheet be linked to the same table in another worksheet. Can Excel update ALL information changed in the first table to the linked table without having to link each cell separately? No (and yes) Each of the cells will have to be linked, but you don't have to do each one individually one-by one. Let's say your source table in WBook1 begins in cell A1 on some sheet in it, and the table in the other workbook, WBook2, begins at cell C1 (although it could also begin at A1, I'm using 2 different cells to help keep things clear). Go...

Can you connect to E*Trade brokerage account
I'm a new Money 2005 user and I have successfully been able set up my online accounts except one, E*Trade. I keep getting the message "Your accounts couldn't be updated with infromation from your bank or brokerage". Called Microsoft and they blame E*Trade, called E*Trade and they didn't even know Money 2005 was out already. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm I correct in assuming that I use the same username and password to access the information through Money as I do from the E*Trade website. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I am using both M2003 deluxe and M...

How can I setup send/receive to automatically update in outlook 20
I just upgrade from outlook express 2003 to outlook 2007 and my send/receive will not update/refresh automatically like my outlook express did.even though i have the setting set to do so every 1 minute. I am using hotmail if this makes a difference. Thank you Bobby Don't set it to every minute - that's too often and can cause problems. Try setting it to every 5 minutes and see if that helps. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com "bobby02169" <bobby02169@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:280E1DCC-50BF-...

Can't upload business card in Outlook 2000 as I can for Outlook
Express allows you to upload a business card that is like a header at the top right of every e mail. Outlook seems to only allow a V card which is not visable when sending e mails. Express allows the card to show without blocking the entire page . Express has tools, options, compose, and under Stationary you can upload a new jpeg along with the signature at the bottom. Outlook has almost the same feature, but when trying to upload the stationary, the card duplicates itself and covers the entier page like wallpaper which does no good. HELP Doug In news:9364D241-098E-48F4-9B5A-DB4411A4...

Can I get a new volume license product key because i lost it?
I installed Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 onto my computer and then i got a virus and all the programs were taken off it .. I kept the CD but i've lost all the packaging so i lost the volume license product key that you need. So when I try and install it back on I don't have a product key to put in. Can i get a new one? Thanks Help needed ASAP Call Microsoft. You will need certain information to prove you have the program but it's a simple thing to do. Refer to their site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];326246 -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publis...

How can I delete embedded clipart?
I pasted clipart unto a project but once on the page i was unable to move, resize or even delete the clipart. It is now embedded right in the center of my, otherwise, completed project (newsletter). I do not know how to remove it. Obviously, it is defective but now frozen onto my page. I copied other clipart onto other parts of the project with no problem. Since this is a newsletter and there are several articles on the page, it would be time consuming to think of retype everything. CN Tools, Graphics Manager, click on the image description, expand and click go to the image. If that d...

Graphing a cumulative count by month: Can it be done?
I am trying to not use any add-ins or BI tools. I'm wanting to use a pivot table to create a histogram (graph) that shows: A.) Count of new action items for the week B.) Count of action items resolved for the week C.) The cumulative count of unresolved action items for the week My columns are in a table called tblMain and I figured I could get by using columns [ID] (a unique ID number) and [DateComplete] (a short date). Filtering out the action items that weren't completed is easy enough using a "null" qualifier for the date field if it's not yet resolved and usin...

Can 'see' exchange server from some PC's
Hi there, I have recently installed a 2nd Exchange 2003 server in our organisation and we will be removing the 1st one when everything settles down. However on some PC's I cannot browse to the new server - using "Run \\server07" (exchange). And therefore on those PC's I can't setup Outlook to retreive their email. Does anyone know why this might be? Thanks in advance, Steve. Well, let's start with a couple of really basic questions. 1) Can those clients PING the server by name? 2) Can those clients PING the server by IP? 3) Is the Windows Firewall en...

Help: Can't assign tasks from Web Client
Hoping that someone can help with this. Is there a way under Exchange 2003 to assign tasks from the web client? I don't see the option when I log in. Is task assignment not offered from the web client or does the ability need to be set on the server? Correct, you can't assign tasks from OWA. You need to use outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outloo...

Can not recover my messeges.
Hi Dear sir/... I have win xp sp1 with outlook 2003. I have my old user data on a cd....( for example : outlook.pst) when i removing my old data - & install a fresh win xp and outlook 2003 - i can not recover my old file . System says to me : it is not a outlook data file. or you have not any access to this file. My file size : 277 MB Name : outlook.pst I have total user data... It is very important for me to recover my data as soon as Please tell me with this email : ali_mahoutchian@yahoo.com or answer to my problem here . thanks a lot. i am very sorry for bad language...... ...

The DAO that can be spoken of is not the DAO
Hi If I state in my VB: Dim blah DAO.Database, does that make it a DAO Database, or is it DAO anyway? Stapes Stapes wrote: > Hi > > If I state in my VB: > > Dim blah DAO.Database, does that make it a DAO Database, or is it DAO > anyway? > > Stapes As far as I know DAO is the only library that has a Database object so you don't need the prefix. Those that use the prefixes often just prefer to use them everywhere for the sake of clarity and/or consistency. -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com ...

can't read emails
When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but inbox, where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where download from my server On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:34:07 -1000, emilio <emilio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I do send & recieve it look like the mails go somewhere else but > inbox, > where they go? how can I see them? I know for sure those email where > download > from my server What version of Outlook are you running and what mode (Corp/Workgroup, Internet Mail Only, etc.) do you have it installed i...

Can get trail version to....
I cant get my MS Money 2003 trail version to download straight from Union Planters..... Quicken 2001 works great....my girlfriends Quicken 2003 works great for her.. Matter of fact MS Money has the wrong url for signing into UP Online. It will not even let me change that. I was going to buy MS Money but I am not to sure now. And Union Planters also support MS Money. I like MS products but I'm not to sure about this one.......????????? I installed my Quicken and it worked from word get go....Money has not worked yet....... Sounds like Quicken's the ticket for you. Go for...

Can I print calendars without start & end times?
This would be a good thing for our employee vacation calendar since the time takes up too much page in each printed cell, but I can't figure out how to do it! Mary if they show on the outlook calendar, they will print if there is room. Turn them off on the outlook calendar by right clicking on the grid and choosing other settings and uncheck Show end times. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outloo...

Message recepients can't reply
I'm using Outlook '02' thru MSN (Outlook connector). Several recepients of messages sent from Outlook report that they are unable to reply. Messages come back undeliverable. I ve contacted MSN and have determined that there isn't a problem with server. Isn't this supposed to be the most basic function of this software? signed FRUSTRATED up to here Need to see the exact text of the NDR (nondelivery report) in order to ascertain the problem.... Charles Brown wrote: > I'm using Outlook '02' thru MSN (Outlook connector). > Several recepients of message...

In Excel 2000, How can I change the order in a pivot table?
I am having problems changing the order of my pivot table. The "Drop Column Fields here" is date related and I grouped that area by month. I can change the chart data series order, save the file, close the file, then reopen it and the changes go back to the default view before the series order in the chart changed. I have another co-worker that has Office 2003 and it does not happen to her. It retains the information as she saved it. Is it a glitch in Excel 2000? ...

splitting unmerged cells issue
Help please- I have an excel file that is a result of an oracle report feed with some 42,000 rows. I'm trying to split fields that contain both a date and time in it (mm/dd/yyyy mm:ss,0). After going through the "text to column" wizard, some of the values are still left in the original cell- it cuts off the first number on the time and leaves it with the date even though the divider line in the setup box shows it to cut through it correctly. It only does this on certain rows and I cannot find a rhyme or reason for it. I have messed with the column format/number/date, but it does ...

Outlook2007 Can't select text
This has occurred several times. I cannot select text or place the cursor anywhere on page when composing or replying. If I close Outlook and restart it that seems to solve the problem. I gather this is a known issue in the Beta. Does anyone know of a fix? There are some known issues related to responsiveness in the editor that = should go away in later versions.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, a...

An instant sorting problem
Dear all, I have a list of data in 2 columns: Column A stores 1000 names of students and Column B stores the scores of the corresponding students. If I want to make a sorted list of data in Columns C and D with descending scores, what formulas should I use in columns C and D? It should be noted that some students may get the same score. The order of these students in the sorted list is not important as long as they are in adjacent rows. Best Regards, Chris You could copy the list from columns A:B, and paste it into columns D:E. (leave column C blank, so the lists are separated). The...

How can i know who published a gantt ?
Friends, I need know who published , ie, who migrate from database draft to published a gantt; sql query also can be; regards (sorry for my bad english) -- PaseEscolar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PaseEscolar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/166005.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1290274.htm http://forums.techarena.in On Jan 6, 9:33=A0pm, PaseEscolar <PaseEscolar.44d...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote: > Friends, =A0I need know who published , ie, who migrate from database &...

How can I sort by font color?
I have a large spreadsheet with roughly 2800 rows of data. A coworker has formatted individual cells in red in which she has made changes and I need to extract only those rows of data...is there an automated way to do this? Thanks, Ryan Check out Chip Pearson's site http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00c801c3d3c5$93ffd1a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have a large spreadsheet with roughly 2800 rows of > data. A c...

Can I do a merge into an old presentation with PPTools
Trying to do a mail merge with the demo pptools and its not merging into my existing file. What am I doing wrong. I would email ppttools rather than post here in a public forum. -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Jazming" wrote: > Trying to do a mail merge with the demo pptools and its not merging into my > existing file. What am I doing wrong. In article <FCA3D42A-5355-4DF3-A5F5-0A917039D577@microsoft.com>, Jazming wrote: > Tryi...