unhide fails everytime

I have a macro that hides all columns and rows with no data in them.
To re-edit the thing and fill in the data, I have to unhide those rows and
columns.

I've got the unhide help screen staring me in the face.
if I GOTO a1 and choose unhide from the format menu NADA
if I select b2-> right click and unhide NADA
select B1 format->unhide NADA..

excel 2003.
What am I missing ?
cbminfo (13)
10/17/2005 11:57:48 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown.

Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide,
format|Row|unhide???

If you want to unhide a column (say), you have to select that column first.  I
like to just enter a cell from that column into the namebox (to the left of the
formula bar).

Say I want column G unhidden.  I type G1 in that namebox.
then format|column|unhide.

Same with any particular row, too.

If I want to unhide everything, I select all the cells on the worksheet, then
format|column|Unhide followed by format|row|unhide.

--

Dave Peterson
0
wrote:

>First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown.
>
>Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide,
>format|Row|unhide???
>

>If you want to unhide a column (say), you have to select that column first.  I
>like to just enter a cell from that column into the namebox (to the left of the
>formula bar).
>
>Say I want column G unhidden.  I type G1 in that namebox.
>then format|column|unhide.
>
>Same with any particular row, too.
>
>If I want to unhide everything, I select all the cells on the worksheet, then
>format|column|Unhide followed by format|row|unhide.

BTDT. That's exactly what the help says which is why I posted it fails every
time here. Those steps do NOT work after I run the hide empty stuff macro.
After I print out the actual data, I need to unhide everything that was hidden.
and nothing on the helps work.

>Husky wrote:
>>
>> I have a macro that hides all columns and rows with no data in them.
>> To re-edit the thing and fill in the data, I have to unhide those rows and
>> columns.
>>
>> I've got the unhide help screen staring me in the face.
>> if I GOTO a1 and choose unhide from the format menu NADA
>> if I select b2-> right click and unhide NADA
>> select B1 format->unhide NADA..
>>
>> excel 2003.
>> What am I missing ?
>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 1:34:32 AM
Post your code

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Husky" <cbminfo@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:10:09 -0500, Dave Peterson
> <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
> wrote:
>
>>First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown.
>>
>>Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide,
>>format|Row|unhide???
>>

>>If you want to unhide a column (say), you have to select that column
>>first.  I
>>like to just enter a cell from that column into the namebox (to the left
>>of the
>>formula bar).
>>
>>Say I want column G unhidden.  I type G1 in that namebox.
>>then format|column|unhide.
>>
>>Same with any particular row, too.
>>
>>If I want to unhide everything, I select all the cells on the worksheet,
>>then
>>format|column|Unhide followed by format|row|unhide.
>>
> BTDT. That's exactly what the help says which is why I posted it fails
> every
> time here. Those steps do NOT work after I run the hide empty stuff macro.
> After I print out the actual data, I need to unhide everything that was
> hidden.
> and nothing on the helps work.
>

>>Husky wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a macro that hides all columns and rows with no data in them.
>>> To re-edit the thing and fill in the data, I have to unhide those rows
>>> and
>>> columns.
>>>
>>> I've got the unhide help screen staring me in the face.
>>> if I GOTO a1 and choose unhide from the format menu NADA
>>> if I select b2-> right click and unhide NADA
>>> select B1 format->unhide NADA..
>>>
>>> excel 2003.
>>> What am I missing ?
>>> --
>>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

0
terre081 (3245)
10/18/2005 1:41:58 AM
How are you selecting all the cells?

Try using the "button" to the left of the column headers and to the top of the
row numbers.

Husky wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:10:09 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
> wrote:
>
> >First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown.
> >
> >Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide,
> >format|Row|unhide???
> >

> >If you want to unhide a column (say), you have to select that column first.  I
> >like to just enter a cell from that column into the namebox (to the left of the
> >formula bar).
> >
> >Say I want column G unhidden.  I type G1 in that namebox.
> >then format|column|unhide.
> >
> >Same with any particular row, too.
> >
> >If I want to unhide everything, I select all the cells on the worksheet, then
> >format|column|Unhide followed by format|row|unhide.
> >
> BTDT. That's exactly what the help says which is why I posted it fails every
> time here. Those steps do NOT work after I run the hide empty stuff macro.
> After I print out the actual data, I need to unhide everything that was hidden.
> and nothing on the helps work.
>

> >Husky wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a macro that hides all columns and rows with no data in them.
> >> To re-edit the thing and fill in the data, I have to unhide those rows and
> >> columns.
> >>
> >> I've got the unhide help screen staring me in the face.
> >> if I GOTO a1 and choose unhide from the format menu NADA
> >> if I select b2-> right click and unhide NADA
> >> select B1 format->unhide NADA..
> >>
> >> excel 2003.
> >> What am I missing ?
> >> --
> >> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12003)
10/18/2005 1:43:57 AM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:41:58 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote:

>Post your code
Sub printout()
'
' printout Macro
' Macro recorded 09/05/2005 by ken
'

'
    Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1", Operator:=xlAnd
    Range("C:D,F:F,G:G").Select
    Range("G1").Activate
    Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
End Sub

Don't really know why. But I can finally get things back with the pulldown in
the 1st column where it says ascending, descending, all, top 10, custom.
All the columns have the same things, but it only works in column 1.
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 3:42:08 AM
Since you hid the rows by using autofilter, you can reset each field by using
the dropdown arrow and choosing all.

Or you could click on Data|Filter|Show All

Husky wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:41:58 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Post your code
> Sub printout()
> '
> ' printout Macro
> ' Macro recorded 09/05/2005 by ken
> '
>
> '
>     Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1", Operator:=xlAnd
>     Range("C:D,F:F,G:G").Select
>     Range("G1").Activate
>     Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
> End Sub
>
> Don't really know why. But I can finally get things back with the pulldown in
> the 1st column where it says ascending, descending, all, top 10, custom.
> All the columns have the same things, but it only works in column 1.
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12003)
10/18/2005 12:46:28 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:46:28 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
wrote:

>Since you hid the rows by using autofilter, you can reset each field by using
>the dropdown arrow and choosing all.
>
>Or you could click on Data|Filter|Show All
Show all is grayed out now. Though my top row of definitions is now missing

Only worked when I selected column 1.
And actually all the labels in row 1 have now disappeared. and been replaced
with the pull downs. I only had 1 pull down to select rows that actually had a
positive number in them.

I have no idea why this happens but I usually wind up rebuilding the entire
sheet from scratch when this happens.

Just want a simple grocery list of item, aisle, on hand, needed, buy, cost,
rebates, spent.

well I just found my top row of definitions, they were sitting on row 18. Just
below instant potatoes. I would say it got there by sorting since that's
happened b4, except now that I've cut and pasted it back at the top where it's
supposed to be, sorting is now having zero effect on it. It's stuck right there
at the top where I want it. That won't last. I'll turn to see what's on the
tube, and it'll migrate somewhere else..

And all the pull downs have now disappeared. Even the ONLY one I had in column
BUY.

Glad I'm not having this much trouble with access.

>Husky wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:41:58 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Post your code
>> Sub printout()
>> '
>> ' printout Macro
>> ' Macro recorded 09/05/2005 by ken
>> '
>>
>> '
>>     Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1", Operator:=xlAnd
>>     Range("C:D,F:F,G:G").Select
>>     Range("G1").Activate
>>     Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
>> End Sub
>>
>> Don't really know why. But I can finally get things back with the pulldown in
>> the 1st column where it says ascending, descending, all, top 10, custom.
>> All the columns have the same things, but it only works in column 1.
>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 6:17:50 PM
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:43:57 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
wrote:

>How are you selecting all the cells?
>
>Try using the "button" to the left of the column headers and to the top of the
>row numbers.
I've been to the left, the top, the right, the bottom, the very top left cell
that selects everything.
When I run the macro, I print the results and go shopping.

Come back fill in what's been picked up, costs etc. BUT I have to 1st restore
the view of everything after running that macro.
There's the hangup. The entire sheet view won't return all the time.
Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Usually when I need to do something with
it is when it's not there.
I've tried just about every help that comes up with the word unhide as the
search word.

>Husky wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:10:09 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown.
>> >
>> >Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide,
>> >format|Row|unhide???
>> >

>> >If you want to unhide a column (say), you have to select that column first.  I
>> >like to just enter a cell from that column into the namebox (to the left of the
>> >formula bar).
>> >
>> >Say I want column G unhidden.  I type G1 in that namebox.
>> >then format|column|unhide.
>> >
>> >Same with any particular row, too.
>> >
>> >If I want to unhide everything, I select all the cells on the worksheet, then
>> >format|column|Unhide followed by format|row|unhide.
>> >
>> BTDT. That's exactly what the help says which is why I posted it fails every
>> time here. Those steps do NOT work after I run the hide empty stuff macro.
>> After I print out the actual data, I need to unhide everything that was hidden.
>> and nothing on the helps work.

>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 7:52:10 PM
"Data|filter|Show All" if your autofilter range is already showing all the
rows--or you don't have autofilter applied in that worksheet.

And I would stay way from using Selection in your code.  Using selection means
that the results could vary depending on what was selected.

Maybe you could do all the hiding, printing and unhiding in your code.

I assumed that the quantity was in column A--and the only header row was 1.

Option Explicit
Sub PrintOutSheet()

    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Set wks = ActiveSheet
    Dim ColsToHide As Range

    With wks
        Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:F,G:G")
        'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
        .AutoFilterMode = False
        .Range("a1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
            Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

        .printout preview:=True

        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
        'remove the filter
        .AutoFilterMode = False
    End With

End Sub

I also changed the name of the routine so that it wouldn't match the .printout
method that VBA uses.

Also, I added "Preview:=true" to save paper while testing.

Husky wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:46:28 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Since you hid the rows by using autofilter, you can reset each field by using
> >the dropdown arrow and choosing all.
> >
> >Or you could click on Data|Filter|Show All
> Show all is grayed out now. Though my top row of definitions is now missing
>
> Only worked when I selected column 1.
> And actually all the labels in row 1 have now disappeared. and been replaced
> with the pull downs. I only had 1 pull down to select rows that actually had a
> positive number in them.
>
> I have no idea why this happens but I usually wind up rebuilding the entire
> sheet from scratch when this happens.
>
> Just want a simple grocery list of item, aisle, on hand, needed, buy, cost,
> rebates, spent.
>
> well I just found my top row of definitions, they were sitting on row 18. Just
> below instant potatoes. I would say it got there by sorting since that's
> happened b4, except now that I've cut and pasted it back at the top where it's
> supposed to be, sorting is now having zero effect on it. It's stuck right there
> at the top where I want it. That won't last. I'll turn to see what's on the
> tube, and it'll migrate somewhere else..
>
> And all the pull downs have now disappeared. Even the ONLY one I had in column
> BUY.
>
> Glad I'm not having this much trouble with access.
>

> >Husky wrote:

> >> Sub printout()
> >> '
> >> ' printout Macro
> >> ' Macro recorded 09/05/2005 by ken
> >> '
> >>
> >> '
> >>     Selection.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1", Operator:=xlAnd
> >>     Range("C:D,F:F,G:G").Select
> >>     Range("G1").Activate
> >>     Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
> >> End Sub
> >>
> >> Don't really know why. But I can finally get things back with the pulldown in
> >> the 1st column where it says ascending, descending, all, top 10, custom.
> >> All the columns have the same things, but it only works in column 1.
> >> --
> >> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12003)
10/18/2005 8:33:53 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:33:53 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
wrote:

>"Data|filter|Show All" if your autofilter range is already showing all the
>rows--or you don't have autofilter applied in that worksheet.
>
>And I would stay way from using Selection in your code.  Using selection means
>that the results could vary depending on what was selected.
>
>Maybe you could do all the hiding, printing and unhiding in your code.
>
>I assumed that the quantity was in column A--and the only header row was 1.

Well since I'm having trouble with the sheet this minute, only thing I can say
about your macro is it didn't set the machine on fire.
Other than that all I got was a preview of a blank sheet.
But if I figure out what's going wrong with the sheet, [been fiddling with a
renegade ATI update from windows update] that torched my machine all day. I
haven't been able to even look at the grocery list today.

>Option Explicit
>Sub PrintOutSheet()
>
>    Dim wks As Worksheet
>    Set wks = ActiveSheet
>    Dim ColsToHide As Range
>
>    With wks
>        Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:F,G:G")
I'm guessing the above code may be where the bug is because I have added
columns since the 1st macro code was written.
C = on hand, D = need, E = Buy, F = cost, G = completely blank, just a space
holder now, H, I, J, K and L should be added as columns to hide now.

>        'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
the auto filter drop down I had was for on hand. If it found nothing, not much
use in running the macro.
Probably not necessary, but I hadn't figured out how to lock the top row while
scrolling the page down when the original macro was made.

>        .AutoFilterMode = False
>        .Range("a1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
I should change the range a1 above to E1 for BUY?
>            Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
>        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
>
>        .printout preview:=True
>
>        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
>        'remove the filter
>        .AutoFilterMode = False
>    End With
>
>End Sub

Yeah the change I made above to E1 worked to some degree.
The display and column headings 'Aisle, and need' are missing.

Here's your code as I rewrote it.
Option Explicit
Sub PrintOutSheet()

    Dim wks As Worksheet
    Set wks = ActiveSheet
    Dim ColsToHide As Range

    With wks
        Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:L")
        'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
        .AutoFilterMode = False
        .Range("E1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
            Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

        .printout preview:=True

        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
        'remove the filter
        .AutoFilterMode = False
    End With

End Sub

Hmmm. Wonder why it doesn't show columns h, i, j, k and l ?

Well the code above works. Tnx...

Wonder where the headers to the columns went ?

Oh cripes. Wilma is looking like all this is going to be a waste of time. Be
lucky if there's a tree standing in this area, this time next week.
Another Hurricane Charlie headed in.
Hope Winn Dixie got smart and bought a backup generator since last year. Took 6
months for them to restock back to anything resembling normal.

>I also changed the name of the routine so that it wouldn't match the .printout
>method that VBA uses.
>
>Also, I added "Preview:=true" to save paper while testing.
>
>Husky wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:46:28 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Since you hid the rows by using autofilter, you can reset each field by using
>> >the dropdown arrow and choosing all.
>> >
>> >Or you could click on Data|Filter|Show All
>> Show all is grayed out now. Though my top row of definitions is now missing
>>
>> Only worked when I selected column 1.
>> And actually all the labels in row 1 have now disappeared. and been replaced
>> with the pull downs. I only had 1 pull down to select rows that actually had a
>> positive number in them.
>>
>> I have no idea why this happens but I usually wind up rebuilding the entire
>> sheet from scratch when this happens.
>>
>> Just want a simple grocery list of item, aisle, on hand, needed, buy, cost,
>> rebates, spent.
>>
>> well I just found my top row of definitions, they were sitting on row 18. Just
>> below instant potatoes. I would say it got there by sorting since that's
>> happened b4, except now that I've cut and pasted it back at the top where it's
>> supposed to be, sorting is now having zero effect on it. It's stuck right there
>> at the top where I want it. That won't last. I'll turn to see what's on the
>> tube, and it'll migrate somewhere else..
>>
>> And all the pull downs have now disappeared. Even the ONLY one I had in column
>> BUY.
>>
>> Glad I'm not having this much trouble with access.

>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 9:37:41 PM
Not starting your pc on fire is usually a good thing!

Replies interspersed.

Husky wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:33:53 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"Data|filter|Show All" if your autofilter range is already showing all the
> >rows--or you don't have autofilter applied in that worksheet.
> >
> >And I would stay way from using Selection in your code.  Using selection means
> >that the results could vary depending on what was selected.
> >
> >Maybe you could do all the hiding, printing and unhiding in your code.
> >
> >I assumed that the quantity was in column A--and the only header row was 1.
> >
> Well since I'm having trouble with the sheet this minute, only thing I can say
> about your macro is it didn't set the machine on fire.
> Other than that all I got was a preview of a blank sheet.

The code runs against the activesheet--make sure you're on the correct sheet
when it starts.

> But if I figure out what's going wrong with the sheet, [been fiddling with a
> renegade ATI update from windows update] that torched my machine all day. I
> haven't been able to even look at the grocery list today.
>
> >Option Explicit
> >Sub PrintOutSheet()
> >
> >    Dim wks As Worksheet
> >    Set wks = ActiveSheet
> >    Dim ColsToHide As Range
> >
> >    With wks
> >        Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:F,G:G")
> I'm guessing the above code may be where the bug is because I have added
> columns since the 1st macro code was written.
> C = on hand, D = need, E = Buy, F = cost, G = completely blank, just a space
> holder now, H, I, J, K and L should be added as columns to hide now.
>
> >        'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
> the auto filter drop down I had was for on hand. If it found nothing, not much
> use in running the macro.
> Probably not necessary, but I hadn't figured out how to lock the top row while
> scrolling the page down when the original macro was made.

Your headers are in row 1 and the data starts in row 2??

Show A1
select A2
window|Freeze panes
Now you'll be able to see row 1 no matter how far you scroll down.

> >        .AutoFilterMode = False
> >        .Range("a1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
> I should change the range a1 above to E1 for BUY?
> >            Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
> >        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
> >
> >        .printout preview:=True
> >
> >        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
> >        'remove the filter
> >        .AutoFilterMode = False
> >    End With
> >
> >End Sub
>
> Yeah the change I made above to E1 worked to some degree.
> The display and column headings 'Aisle, and need' are missing.

What does this mean?  Is "aisle, and need" a header in one of the columns you're
hiding?

Or do you have multiple header rows?

If you have multiple header rows, you may find it easier to combine the text
into one cell.

Just type the first part, hit alt-enter (to force a new line within the cell)
and keep typing.

Having just one row of headers usually makes things easier for me.

> Here's your code as I rewrote it.
> Option Explicit
> Sub PrintOutSheet()
>
>     Dim wks As Worksheet
>     Set wks = ActiveSheet
>     Dim ColsToHide As Range
>
>     With wks
>         Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:L")
>         'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
>         .AutoFilterMode = False
>         .Range("E1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
>             Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
>         ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
>
>         .printout preview:=True
>
>         ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
>         'remove the filter
>         .AutoFilterMode = False
>     End With
>
> End Sub
>

> Hmmm. Wonder why it doesn't show columns h, i, j, k and l ?

You don't see those columns in the printpreview?  Or after you dismiss the
printpreview?  (You did hide columns F:L.)

> Well the code above works. Tnx...
>
> Wonder where the headers to the columns went ?
>
> Oh cripes. Wilma is looking like all this is going to be a waste of time. Be
> lucky if there's a tree standing in this area, this time next week.
> Another Hurricane Charlie headed in.
> Hope Winn Dixie got smart and bought a backup generator since last year. Took 6
> months for them to restock back to anything resembling normal.

Make plenty of backups of all your important data--(maybe burn a CD???).

Good luck with the code and the storm.

> >I also changed the name of the routine so that it wouldn't match the .printout
> >method that VBA uses.
> >
> >Also, I added "Preview:=true" to save paper while testing.
> >
> >Husky wrote:

> >> Show all is grayed out now. Though my top row of definitions is now missing
> >>
> >> Only worked when I selected column 1.
> >> And actually all the labels in row 1 have now disappeared. and been replaced
> >> with the pull downs. I only had 1 pull down to select rows that actually had a
> >> positive number in them.
> >>
> >> I have no idea why this happens but I usually wind up rebuilding the entire
> >> sheet from scratch when this happens.
> >>
> >> Just want a simple grocery list of item, aisle, on hand, needed, buy, cost,
> >> rebates, spent.
> >>
> >> well I just found my top row of definitions, they were sitting on row 18. Just
> >> below instant potatoes. I would say it got there by sorting since that's
> >> happened b4, except now that I've cut and pasted it back at the top where it's
> >> supposed to be, sorting is now having zero effect on it. It's stuck right there
> >> at the top where I want it. That won't last. I'll turn to see what's on the
> >> tube, and it'll migrate somewhere else..
> >>
> >> And all the pull downs have now disappeared. Even the ONLY one I had in column
> >> BUY.
> >>
> >> Glad I'm not having this much trouble with access.

> >> --
> >> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12003)
10/18/2005 10:29:14 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:29:14 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
wrote:

>Not starting your pc on fire is usually a good thing!
>
>Replies interspersed.
>
>Husky wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:33:53 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Data|filter|Show All" if your autofilter range is already showing all the
>> >rows--or you don't have autofilter applied in that worksheet.
>> >
>> >And I would stay way from using Selection in your code.  Using selection means
>> >that the results could vary depending on what was selected.
>> >
>> >Maybe you could do all the hiding, printing and unhiding in your code.
>> >
>> >I assumed that the quantity was in column A--and the only header row was 1.
>> >
>> Well since I'm having trouble with the sheet this minute, only thing I can say
>> about your macro is it didn't set the machine on fire.
>> Other than that all I got was a preview of a blank sheet.
>
>The code runs against the activesheet--make sure you're on the correct sheet
>when it starts.
>

>> But if I figure out what's going wrong with the sheet, [been fiddling with a
>> renegade ATI update from windows update] that torched my machine all day. I
>> haven't been able to even look at the grocery list today.
>>
>> >Option Explicit
>> >Sub PrintOutSheet()
>> >
>> >    Dim wks As Worksheet
>> >    Set wks = ActiveSheet
>> >    Dim ColsToHide As Range
>> >
>> >    With wks
>> >        Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:F,G:G")
>> I'm guessing the above code may be where the bug is because I have added
>> columns since the 1st macro code was written.
>> C = on hand, D = need, E = Buy, F = cost, G = completely blank, just a space
>> holder now, H, I, J, K and L should be added as columns to hide now.
>>
>> >        'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
>> the auto filter drop down I had was for on hand. If it found nothing, not much
>> use in running the macro.
>> Probably not necessary, but I hadn't figured out how to lock the top row while
>> scrolling the page down when the original macro was made.
>
>Your headers are in row 1 and the data starts in row 2??
>
>Show A1
>select A2
>window|Freeze panes
>Now you'll be able to see row 1 no matter how far you scroll down.
>

>> >        .AutoFilterMode = False
>> >        .Range("a1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
>> I should change the range a1 above to E1 for BUY?
>> >            Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
>> >        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
>> >
>> >        .printout preview:=True
>> >
>> >        ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
>> >        'remove the filter
>> >        .AutoFilterMode = False
>> >    End With
>> >
>> >End Sub
>>
>> Yeah the change I made above to E1 worked to some degree.
>> The display and column headings 'Aisle, and need' are missing.
Aisle = which aisle the items are in.
need = normal monthly usage of each item, 1-20.

I can send the whole sheet with macros to you.
I finally found what was causing my sorting problem of moving row 1 down below
instant taters.

Seems you can have any type icon style menu bar at the top. and some of them
have the blasted EXACT SAME ICON on them that does 2 different things.
I can't find the toolbar that was there. It wasn't the standard. And only had
one sort icon. sort down.. Can't even recall how I got rid of that bar and
replaced it with the standard, but it's now sorting, locking the top row, and
left column AGAIN.
Believe it or not it's been set up like this b4 by me. And no idea what makes
it screw up causing all this trouble.
Now if I can just get it to print the row 1 headers of the columns not hidden,
things will be back to normal.
It used to do that also..
When something goes south, it really goes..

>What does this mean?  Is "aisle, and need" a header in one of the columns you're
>hiding?
>
>Or do you have multiple header rows?
>
>If you have multiple header rows, you may find it easier to combine the text
>into one cell.
>
>Just type the first part, hit alt-enter (to force a new line within the cell)
>and keep typing.
>
>Having just one row of headers usually makes things easier for me.
>

>> Here's your code as I rewrote it.
>> Option Explicit
>> Sub PrintOutSheet()
>>
>>     Dim wks As Worksheet
>>     Set wks = ActiveSheet
>>     Dim ColsToHide As Range
>>
>>     With wks
>>         Set ColsToHide = .Range("C:D,F:L")
>>         'remove any existing autofilter dropdowns
>>         .AutoFilterMode = False
>>         .Range("E1").EntireColumn.AutoFilter _
>>             Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=1"
>>         ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
>>
>>         .printout preview:=True
>>
>>         ColsToHide.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
>>         'remove the filter
>>         .AutoFilterMode = False
>>     End With
>>
>> End Sub
>>

>> Hmmm. Wonder why it doesn't show columns h, i, j, k and l ?
>
>You don't see those columns in the printpreview?  Or after you dismiss the
>printpreview?  (You did hide columns F:L.)
>

>> Well the code above works. Tnx...
>>
>> Wonder where the headers to the columns went ?
>>
>> Oh cripes. Wilma is looking like all this is going to be a waste of time. Be
>> lucky if there's a tree standing in this area, this time next week.
>> Another Hurricane Charlie headed in.
>> Hope Winn Dixie got smart and bought a backup generator since last year. Took 6
>> months for them to restock back to anything resembling normal.
>
>Make plenty of backups of all your important data--(maybe burn a CD???).
>
>Good luck with the code and the storm.
>

>> >I also changed the name of the routine so that it wouldn't match the .printout
>> >method that VBA uses.
>> >
>> >Also, I added "Preview:=true" to save paper while testing.

>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
cbminfo (13)
10/18/2005 11:31:01 PM
I don't open attachments.

Which columns are Aisle and Need in?

Don't include them in the range of columns to be hidden.  If they're currently
hidden, unhide them.

And make sure your print range includes row 1???

Husky wrote:
<<snipped>>

> >> Yeah the change I made above to E1 worked to some degree.
> >> The display and column headings 'Aisle, and need' are missing.
> Aisle = which aisle the items are in.
> need = normal monthly usage of each item, 1-20.
>
> I can send the whole sheet with macros to you.
> I finally found what was causing my sorting problem of moving row 1 down below
> instant taters.
>
> Seems you can have any type icon style menu bar at the top. and some of them
> have the blasted EXACT SAME ICON on them that does 2 different things.
> I can't find the toolbar that was there. It wasn't the standard. And only had
> one sort icon. sort down.. Can't even recall how I got rid of that bar and
> replaced it with the standard, but it's now sorting, locking the top row, and
> left column AGAIN.
> Believe it or not it's been set up like this b4 by me. And no idea what makes
> it screw up causing all this trouble.
> Now if I can just get it to print the row 1 headers of the columns not hidden,
> things will be back to normal.
> It used to do that also..
> When something goes south, it really goes..

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12003)

Unhide query
Hi I hid query (changed attributes to hidden) and I would like to see it back and I don't know how. Can you help? -- Greatly appreciated Eva Access 2003 or earlier, with the database window active == Select Tools: Options == Go to the VIEW tab and check Hidden Objects == Click OK == Go to the Queries tab == Find your query and click on it and select properties == uncheck Hidden and click ok == Go back to Tools: Options and uncheck Hidden Objects In 2007, you will need to start with the Office button to get to the option so show hidden objects. John Spencer Access M...

Synchronization between Excel and Windows Sharepoint Services FAIL
The synchronization between my Excel lists and the lists published on my Sharepoint site fails. I receive the following message from Excel: "A connection to the Sharepoint site cannot be established. To synchronize or refresh your list, you must be able to connect to the Sharepoint site." The Sharepoint site is accessible (even from excel) and the same list can be synchronized some days ago. I have the same problem with different platform (XP, 2003), (Office XP or SP1), ... I am having the same issue. One thing to note, I am using two IIS virtual servers to host the content: ...

Failing Log Backups
I have a rather concerning issue on our OLTP system for our largest database (1.7 TB's). On Friday (when I was on vacation of course), we had a power outage and the cluster failed. Everything was brought back online from the Network guys, and then our team of DBA's took over with making sure SQL was ok using the documentation we have. Since then, the log backups for the above database began to fail, but it still appears to be writing the log files. We do weekly full backups, followed by daily differentials. My hope was that after the full backup ran, everything would...

how do i unhide all cells on an excel worksheet?
I selected my entire worksheet (by clicking the button in the upper-left corner of the worksheet frame), then I right-clicked and choose Hide. I've tried every trick I know to unhide the cells but nothing works. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks Select Format | Row | Unhide Regards Trevor "alliecallie" <alliecallie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D6279C-D3F1-4769-88ED-09190407C40D@microsoft.com... >I selected my entire worksheet (by clicking the button in the upper-left > corner of the worksheet frame), then I right-clicked and choose H...

Internet Mail Connector
My Exchange 5.5 server will not send email to AOL accounts (the accounts/email addresses are valid). All other email is sent without issue. In the details of the email being failed to be sent in the IMC queue, the error is [421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE] Anybody know why this issue may be occurring ? Anyboy know what the error code means ? Regards Darragh 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE means exactly that. Their server is not accepting connection attempts from you. Have you checked to see if you have been blacklisted? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Darragh Fitzpatrick" <Darra...

Failing Spanish spell checker in office for mac 2008
I recently bought the office for mac 2008.<br> I work a lot with Spanish documents, but when I type in Spanish, my office frequently crashes over the Spanish accents. So I guess there is a huge problem with the Spanish spell checker. when I do a spell check on underlined words, I get either Chinese signs, or my office crashes. Anybody any idea what is going wrong? I think that's all part of the confirmed Spell Checker bug they just found, and for which we are waiting on a fix. Please use Send Feedback from the Help menu to make sure that Microsoft knows it affects Spanish also. Ch...

Hiding and Unhiding Rows.. Unhide does not work..

550 Reverse DNS lookup failed
We are getting "550 Reverse DNS lookup failed" when sending to certain domains. We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 with Windows 2003 SP1. How does one troubleshoot this issue? Is it an issue with our server or is it an issue with the external server? This is just happening on a couple of domains for us. On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:51:02 -0700, Sabo, Eric <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote: >We are getting "550 Reverse DNS lookup failed" when sending to certain >domains. We are using Exchange 2003 SP2 with Windows 2003 SP1. How does >one troubleshoot this issu...

Unhide
When I try to edit a macro I get the following error message: Cannot edit a macro on a hidden workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide command. How do I get rid of this error? When I right click on the sheet, it's not hidden. -- ...

Redirection to secure exchange virtual directory failed
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C70285.9805C790 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I followed this KB - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555053 and make = sure that the /owaasp directory have no certificate used or encryption = and changed the "Custom error" file to the URL - /owaasp/owahttps.asp = but I still failed to redirect the http://mail.abc.com to = https://mail.abc.com/exchange. I received this error message : You are not authorized to view this page HTTP Error...

Online update fails with Washinton Mutual Accounts in 2005
I setup the trial edition of Money 2005 to eval it use for purchase in 2005. I'm using online updates to download transaction from my local bank (Washington Mutual), but it doesn't download any transactions in 2005 (specifically, any transaction after 2004-12-31). Any idea if there is a fix for this? I was planning on buying the retail deluxe version but not if this problem can't be addressed. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Ryan D In microsoft.public.money, Ryan D <Ryan D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I setup the trial edition of Money 2005...

OWA failing
I am running exchange 5.5 on 2000 server. Under administrative tools, Routing and Remote Access was accidentally started. Since this occured our OWA keeps stopping...I get this error message in event viewer: Event ID 36872 but when I looked up this error it said this can occur on your AD domain controller. This server is not a domain controller, what do I need to do to fix this? ...

unhide fails everytime
I have a macro that hides all columns and rows with no data in them. To re-edit the thing and fill in the data, I have to unhide those rows and columns. I've got the unhide help screen staring me in the face. if I GOTO a1 and choose unhide from the format menu NADA if I select b2-> right click and unhide NADA select B1 format->unhide NADA.. excel 2003. What am I missing ? -- more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html First, I don't see an Unhide option under the Format dropdown. Are you looking at Format|sheet|unhide, format|column|Unhide, format|Row|unhide??? ...

Fail to hibernate..more evidence
I'm opening a new thread on this subject, after a week or so hiatus, to simplify the illustration of the problem. I shut down all programs and watch the system go to Screen Saver mode. Then I go away, and when I return hours later, instead of going through the Power Options sequence as expected, I find the screen on, in regular Desktop mode. So I go to the Event Viewer, and under System I find a zillion events, the last page of which are these: > Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer > Information 2/27/2010 7:29:23 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A ...

Autoresponders fails to respond many times, why?
I created 2 autoresponders in Outlook XP for an opt-in / opt-out mechanism. The Rules Wizzard moves mail address to opt-in@mycompany.com to a special folder, replies with plain text Outlook template (*.oft) and Stops processing rules. Same applies for opt-in@mycompany.com address. The Rules Wizzard catches all opt-in / opt-out messages and moves them to their special folder. BUT 4-6 out of 10, the appropiate autoresponse is NOT being generated. Setup: 5 accounts get checked. 14 email rules, some spread mails amongst several folders, some fight spam using keywords, including Outlook's b...

Unhiding Sheets
Is it possible to unhide multiple sheets in excel? yes -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "venita" <venita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE61F56-D195-4195-8188-4473F3E31091@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to unhide multiple sheets in excel? venita, it is with a macro, like this Sub UnHideAll() 'unhide all sheets in a workbook Dim sht As Worksheet For Each sht In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets sht.Visible = xlSheetVisible Next End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to ...

On Send/Receive: Dialog box "The operation failed. Object not fo
Outlook 2007. When I click on send/receive, I get a dialog box that reads "The operation failed. An object could not be found". Initial set-up was successful because Outlook bounced a confirmation message to my ISP and it came back properly. I can use e-mail through Explorer and my ISP, but not through Outlook. This is a problem with a new Gateway GM5420 computer, new Microsoft Vista, and a new installation of Microsoft Office Professional 2007. See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312354/en-us You receive the "The operation failed. An object could no...

Unhide?
Using Money 2004 Standard... how do I unhide upcoming bills and deposits, when viewing checking register. I clicked a link to hide them, but there is no link to unhide them ... cashflow also gone in same hide. Thanks See http://www.umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=103. "Dasher" <nomail@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23UqiIJVIEHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Using Money 2004 Standard... how do I unhide upcoming bills and deposits, > when viewing checking register. I clicked a link to hide them, but there is > no link to unhide them ... cashflow also gone in same hide. &...

Offline defrag failing
Hi All, SBS2003Prem Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Disk Free Space = 68Gb Exchange DB size < 10Gb I am trying to run an offline defrag of the exchange database using ESEUTIL as follows: ESEUTIL /D /P "D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\Priv1.EDB" Every time I run it, it gets about 10% of the way through, and then dies with the following error: "Operation terminated with error -2102 (JET_errCallbackNotResolved, A callback function could not be found" In addition I get jcb.dll errors (jcb.dll not found). I have tried the following: - With and without the /P option - ...

Unhiding worksheets
I am a user of Excel 2000. A workbook that I update contains 10 worksheets, of which I hide 4 once I have updated them (on a weekly basis). Excel allows me to hide all 4 at once, however I have to unhide each sheet on an individual basis. Is there a way of unhiding all hidden sheets at once? Thanks. Hi you need VBA for this. Or try an addin. e.g.: http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Plugboy wrote: > I am a user of Excel 2000. > > A workbook that I update contains 10 worksheets, of which I hide 4 > once I have updat...

Outlook 2002 compact fails
Compact of my .pst file never completes. Also, SEND/RECEIVE never completes, like I have a message stuck in my OUTBOX. Trimmed all files down, removing almost everything. How do I uncorrupt or change my .pst file? Chase, you should probably run the inbox repair tool. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272227 Cheers "Chase" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:982701c49736$1d0f59f0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Compact of my .pst file never completes. > Also, SEND/RECEIVE never completes, like I have > a message stuck in my OUTB...

Unhide in a macro
I have a worksheet that I am trying to automate. In this worksheet (many files I have to convert to add calculations) Columns N are hidden all the way to the right Rows 112 and on down are hidden. I need to open them up all the way to put statistical data in there. I tried to run the recorder, but it does not select M:N to unhide example: Columns("M:N").Select Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = False ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=102 Rows("110:116").Select Selection.EntireRow.Hidden = False ActiveWindow.SmallScroll Down:=-99 ActiveWindow.SmallScrol...

Fails to open
I have two websites that I have accessed regularly for years with no problems. Recently I installed "Microsoft Security Essentials" and since then I cannot open those two sites. I am assuming that the antivirus program is blocking them but don't know how to allow them to run. I disabled the AV program through "services.msc" but still can't open them. I tried restarting after disabling but the AV program is active at startup so that's no help. Is there a way to stop the AV from running at startup? As I said, I am assuming the cause is MSE. -- ...

why namespace make xpath fail ????

OWA
Hi, I recently configured OWA and RPC over HTTP. I use Exchange 2003 sp2 and ISA server 2006. I have a single exchange server. When I browse to the OWA website the logon form is displayed and I can log on without problems. But instead of going to my inbox page I get the following error: Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The network logon failed. (1790) When I press refresh in my browser at this stage the inbox page is shown without problems. This happens not always but most of the times. It also happens when I press the logout button in OWA. My question is: Why do I receive th...