unexpected conversion trouble

I wanted to open an Excel file I hadn't been working on for a while, an
Excel couldn't do it.
After some investigations, I found that even if the file still had th
.xls extension, it seemed to be conveted in .doc format (in fact, whe
I open it in notepad, I can see at the end some words that look like
MSWord signature). I don't know how this happened, but I'm reall
embarassed beacause i really need the data in this file.
I tried to change the extension to .doc, open the file in Word and the
import in Excel, but I can hardly see part of the file. What's more, i
is a 3-sheets document, and only part of the 1st sheet seem to b
visible.

If someone knows how I could (re)convert the file to a readale exce
document, I would be really grateful.

Christia

--
jeunecort
jeunecorto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2401

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Christian,

It sounds as though the document was opened with Word, then saved with Word,
converting it to a Word file.  If so, you've been had.  Good and had.
Spreadsheet functionality is lost.  There's a recent post about this -- I
won't rant again, other than to say it's a damn outrage that this has been
happening to people for years.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"jeunecorto" <jeunecorto.1q28ib_1117818301.9267@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:jeunecorto.1q28ib_1117818301.9267@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I wanted to open an Excel file I hadn't been working on for a while, and
> Excel couldn't do it.
> After some investigations, I found that even if the file still had the
> xls extension, it seemed to be conveted in .doc format (in fact, when
> I open it in notepad, I can see at the end some words that look like a
> MSWord signature). I don't know how this happened, but I'm really
> embarassed beacause i really need the data in this file.
> I tried to change the extension to .doc, open the file in Word and then
> import in Excel, but I can hardly see part of the file. What's more, it
> is a 3-sheets document, and only part of the 1st sheet seem to be
> visible.
>
> If someone knows how I could (re)convert the file to a readale excel
> document, I would be really grateful.
>
> Christian
>

> --
> jeunecorto
> jeunecorto's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24016
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376359

0
nothanks4548 (968)

Unix conversion
Hi there, I have a qmail/toaster email server that my client is wanting to transfer email from to a new exchange 03 server. Does anyone know of any utilites to perform this? The only thing I can think of is to open the accounts with an IMAP/POP client and copy them manually. Any migration tools you're familar with? The Exchange 2003 Migration wizard can use IMAP if I remember correctly. It can log in using IMAP on serverA and create the mail messages on serverB (your Exchange server). This would probably work best. Here is something to get you started: http://blogs.msdn.com/e...

Conversation filter indents do not show up in Outlook 2007?
I created group by conversation filter in outlook 2007. However, responses to emails do not appear to show up indented as they did in Outlook 2003. Maybe I am missing some setting. Any help appreciated. Thanks ...

CRM troubles
Hello everyone. I finally got CRM installed onto my computer, and it seemed to work just great! Unfortunately, coming back into the office, we learned that our switch was fried. So after replacing the old one, I tried to log into CRM via the web and it wouldn't allow me. The week before, it had given me no trouble. Currently, I can log into the CRM server page, but it isn't under my own name, but under the name "First Name Last Name", and I don't have any of the options that I did before on the outlook client of CRM. Any reasons as to why this would happen? Thanks fo...

Julian to Gregorian date conversion
how do I convert jualian date to gregorian and back in access 97, preferably by not using VB Code if possible. What is the format of your Julian date and why the aversion to code? Tommo wrote: >how do I convert jualian date to gregorian and back in access 97, preferably >by not using VB Code if possible. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:32:07 -0700, Tommo <Tommo@discussions.microsoft....

Are unexpected connections unexpected?
I've just done some re-configuration, and all seems to be working well. But one thing: I only have 4 active users, and hardly any mail. I almost never seen any active connections, and they are transient. But today I have a connection to mail mmt com au, 20 minutes!and it re-connects again! And a connection from 218 73 212 5 I've just run a relay test from www abuse net, I'm not on open relay. Anything I should be worried about? Any suggestions? (david) It could be that other server is doing something funny, like not closing the connection or responding slowly or not at ...

Unexpected price changes in orders
Sometime back we had a problem with price changes on back orders. What would happen is this, we would be out of an item so the order was placed in the WAIT batch. Then, when the item was made, the batch number would be changed to move it to a daily batch, then released. On some items - not all - when the batch number was changed, the price would change from the customer's price level price to the LIST price. When checking the Price List, the customer's price level price is still there, but that is not what is now on the order. The odd thing is that it doesn't occur on a...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

unexpected conversion trouble

Trouble with Tab key on windows developed with Developers Toolkit
I am developing an integrating application using the Developers Toolkit. The windows I've developed using VS2005 and the Developers Toolkit are not accepting the tab key for movement between fields. When one of my windows is the active window, even Alt-Tab doesn't work. When I change my project type to be a windows application, the windows work fine. Has anyone experienced this problem or have a hunch what might be causing the problem? Thanks in advance for any assistance! "Phil Glantz" wrote: > I am developing an integrating application using the Developer...

Trouble Installing CRM 3.0 Client
I've downloaded the beta and got the server installed, no problem. Let's call the server MSCRMSVR (static IP 192.168.0.113). The server is connected to the router. The client is running XP and the router dishes out DHCP; DHCP is not active on the server but AD and DNS are. I am having trouble getting the CRM client to see the server. The install bombs out every time saying it cannot contact the CRM server when I can damn well see it using nslookup and ping. Is there something I'm missing? This is driving me nuts! since the server is not giving the dhcp, is the dns of the cl...

Unexpected state
Does anyone know what could have caused this error? ********* The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it. The database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft Access by using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of Convert Database command of the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu). This has left the database in a partially coverted state. If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert Database command of the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to convert it. If the original database is no longer ava...

Varchar to datetime conversion
Hi, why SELECT CAST('2009-02-12 00:00:00:000' AS DATETIME) returns '2009-12-02 00:00:00.000'. This drive me crazy: can you help me? Thanks in advance. Massimo On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:36:11 -0800 (PST), Massimo wrote: >Hi, >why > >SELECT CAST('2009-02-12 00:00:00:000' AS DATETIME) > >returns '2009-12-02 00:00:00.000'. > >This drive me crazy: can you help me? > >Thanks in advance. > >Massimo Hi Massimo, What output do you expect and why? Note that this statement will convert the characte...

FRX 6.0 "unexpected error; quitting"
When i create a new windows profile on a PC that already has FRX 6.0, login as that new user and try to run FRx, I get the follwoing error, "unexpected error; quitting". It doesn't matter who I attempt to logon to FRX as. Does anyone know how to fix this...? Thanks, Tom... ------=_NextPart_0001_31854365 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Tom K, Thanks for your FRx question. FRx 6.0 is no longer supported. I recommend upgrading to FRx 6.5 or FRx 6.7. However, the unexpected error quitting message can usually be resolved with registering the .dll...

IE8 says 'last session closed unexpectedly' and offers to restore
I never close down with IE open, so why does it keep asking to restore my last session? I have Windows 7, recently purchased, so no control over IE8. If I delete browsing history, I can use it, and open it over and over, but when I boot the machine, it won't allow me to open IE8 to my home page. Closing it with the task bar doesn't help - it just goes into a wait state the next time I try to open it. (p.s. signing up just to ask this question was a nightmare of unclear directions) "measurement" <measurement@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Unexpected results
We have some code like this With X AS ( SELECT * FROM SomeData WHERE BadData != 1 ) SELECT * FROM X JOIN Y ON CAST(X.ColumnA AS INT) = Y.ColumnA The WITH statement should remove the data that cannot be converted to int before the join is done but this isn't what happens. Instead SQL Server decided to do the join first and then remove the bad data. The problem with this is that we get an error when casting to int. The really silly thing is that if we do this: SELECT CAST(ColumnA AS Int) FROM X then we get no problems. The other really silly thing is that this h...

Conversion to Acess 2007
I have just upgraded from Access 2003 to Access 2007 and converted my database. All is well, except one form appears to be broken. The form (frmDiscography) is based on data from three tables. 1) tblMusicography (PK = fldMusicID) - also contains fldTrackID) 2) tblTrackTitles (PK = fldTrackID) - also contains fldMusicID 3) tblDiscTitles (PK = fldDiscID) - also contains fldTrackID The form allows the user to select a film title (from tblMusicography) from a combo box (SelectFilm) in the form header The form is based on tblMusicography. On the detail of the form, there are 2 subforms. 1) fm...

Access Closes Unexpectantly
I have a database that is on a Citrix server. There is only one user for the database. There is one main form that has three subforms on it and is the main form for entering data. When the user tries to enter data into the fields on the form, Access will just close unexpectantly. There is no error message, no "Access needs to shut down", no nothing. I've put error trapping code on the form, but it doesn't even hit that. With it being on a server I have split the BE and FE and I have just had the tables in the database itself, I've done all the usual things th...

Opening Visio 2002 documents in Visio 2003 gives error "unexpected end of file"
Hi, I recently upgraded from Visio 2002 to Visio 2003, and now I no longer can open my visio documents I each time get the error message unable to open file : "unexpected end of file" while they still open fine in Visio 2002 Did anyone else came across this and if so... anyone has a solution??? Regards Olivier ...

Unexpected behavior #2
I am having a unique intermittent problem I am hoping someone can hel me with. I have a large Excel VPA application that has several button on the "Config" sheet that execute different VBA scripts. There ar also a large number of drop down list boxes. On a fairly regular basi an unusual behavior occurs, when you click on a drop down box one o the buttons (always the same button) magically moves to the drop dow box that was clicked. Once this happens the first time, every time yo click on a drop down box the button moves to that box. You can clos and reopen the file and it will conti...

trouble with Winsock control....
I didn't have any luck posting this over in the 'Controls' group, so I'm reposting it here: Hi All, I'm sure this has been covered before, but I haven't found anything that seems to help. I'm trying to read the raw html data from a web page, so that I can parse it and extract the information I need. The data is primarily text that I wish to capture. When I try to grab a page using the Winsock control, I get a 'page not found error'. I know that the URL and page location are correct because I can see a test file using a web browser. ...

date and number conversion
I have 3 columns: date numbers numbers The date column has the format: Thu Sep 1 17:00:00 2005 I tried selecting the column, format cells, category: date, and select my preference but nothing changes. Essentially I want to remove the time and change the date format to D/M/Y. i also tried this on an individual cell. For the number columns they are in bytes and I want to change them to gigs. is there a clicky to do that? Thanks. ~F It sounds as if the "date" has come in as text, so no amount of formatting will change this - you could use a helper cell to split it using LEF...

How? Convert Access 2000 project back to pre-conversion database
I need to "unconvert" my Access 2000 project back to the previous uncoverted version of the database. Since conversion, I receive several errors using any wizard and other internal anomolies while entering code. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. No guarantees it will work, but open Access 2000 without opening a database. Go to Tools> Database Utilities > Convert to previous version. Then it will ask you to select a database. -- --Roger Carlson www.rogersaccesslibrary.com Reply to: Roger dot Carlson at Spectrum-Health dot Org "Sam" <s...

Having trouble making a double sided booklet. Any suggestions?
I'm trying to print a 5"x5" wedding program. I want to duplex print it also. I can set it up the way I want using publisher, but, when it prints, the font is tiny and the pages are not in the order I want. Is the printer setup for the 5" x 5" booklet? Is your paper 10" x 5"? Are you cutting the stock yourself? These are things you have to consider when you print. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gayle Gross" <Gayle Gross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

The computer restarted unexpectedly or has encountered an unexpected error.
Hello people, After I haven�t used my PC(vista) for two weeks I started it and anything looked normal but when the vista green background appears(where you normally choose the user) suddenly this error pops up: �The computer restarted unexpectedly or has encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click OK to restart your computer and then restart installation.� The only thing I can do is press Ok, if I do so my computer restarts and the same error appears. Some things I can and can�t do: I can�t reach my desktop. I can�t choo...

Word conversion
I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste t Excel, all the items are in one cell. Is there a way to paste the item into Excel into different columns? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use Data | Text to Columns | Delimited and choose a space as the delimiter. Just follow the dialogue. Regards Trevor "mrroboto >" <<mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste to > Excel, all the ite...