Undo save?

Hello people!

I have a user who inadvertently saved his workbook after deleting a
worksheet. I was wondering if there was a way to restore his file to
the previous version when he last saved his file.

I know there exists the backup copy function, but I am still curious to
know if there is a way to backup in the file modification history after
a save. (and a bad modification).

Thanks!

Louisp

--
louisp
louisp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25880

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Nope.  If the user had made backups -- or set that always create a backup, then
you could use that version.

Any chance that the user emailed a copy of the file to someone else--maybe
there's an old copy in the Sent folder (or ask the recipient to send a copy
back).

louisp wrote:

> Hello people!
>
> I have a user who inadvertently saved his workbook after deleting a
> worksheet. I was wondering if there was a way to restore his file to
> the previous version when he last saved his file.
>
> I know there exists the backup copy function, but I am still curious to
> know if there is a way to backup in the file modification history after
> a save. (and a bad modification).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Louisp
>
> --
> louisp
> louisp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25880
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477502

--

Dave Peterson
0

Undo save?
Hello people! I have a user who inadvertently saved his workbook after deleting a worksheet. I was wondering if there was a way to restore his file to the previous version when he last saved his file. I know there exists the backup copy function, but I am still curious to know if there is a way to backup in the file modification history after a save. (and a bad modification). Thanks! Louisp -- louisp ------------------------------------------------------------------------ louisp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25880 View this thread: htt...

Save As box open automaticly
When opening an email the save as box opens automaticly and cannot be cancelled or alt-tabbed from. Has anyone else experienced this problem? ...

saving file names
I try to save my excel file, but when I hit save, it converts the name to one letter. Example: I type in: San Francisco; it converts it to S and then saves it as S. Help! Compatibility mode is a Windows XP option: To take the program out of compatibility mode: Click Start, and then click All Programs. Point to Accessories, and then click Program Compatibility Wizard. In the wizard, click Next. Click I want to choose from a list of programs, and then click Next. Click to select the program that you were attempting to use, and then click Next. Under Select a compatibility mode for the ...

Trouble with network time after Daylight Savings Time
I have a Windows 2000 domain with 2 DC's. The PDC was rebuilt in December 2009 after our main PDC went down. Before the daylight savings time change last week, all was well. When we came back to work this week all the client computers and member servers were off by 1 hour. The second DC is also off by 1 hour. I realized I had forgotten to update the new DC with the 2007 patch, so I did that. This is the only computer besides 2 other servers that are on time. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff Sollars -- jsollars -----------------------------------...

Undo Posting to AP
Is there a procedure to undo a posting to AP. If not how can I revers the charge? About the only thing you can do is pull up the AP transaction and void it. It'll reverse out the GL entry it creates for you. "Vic Abrahamian" <VicAbrahamian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68D153CA-C8A9-4827-BDA2-EF43BE417ED8@microsoft.com... > Is there a procedure to undo a posting to AP. If not how can I revers the > charge? > ...

Undo a catlogue merge?
I am making a booklet and was playing with the catalogue merge thing. I've decided not to do what i need to do that way but now whenever I open that file it keeps asking me about merging that file. How do i make it stop doing that? It took me a long time to get the master pages set up the way I want them and get some of the stuff placed right. Can somebody help this noobie? Annie Open your document, tell it to open without the data source. Tools - Mail and Catalog Merge - Cancel Merge. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsof...

Saving a filter?
I am sorting a large spreadsheet. I have filtered down to my chosen rows, now I want to save this as a separate sheet! Press CTRL + A Right-click > Copy Click on a new sheet Right-click on A1 > Paste -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "rik84" <rik84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B03A1D87-0215-4E3F-B5C7-23B6D70CFE92@microsoft.com... > I am sorting a large spreadsheet. I have filtered down to my chosen rows, now > I want to save this as a separate sheet! Or use (in a stand...

Lost my original spreadsheet by saving over it with the same name
Is it possible to get back to the original spreadsheet after accidentall save someting over it with the same name? HELP! Not unless you have a backup somewhere. There are three rules for safeguarding files; 1. Backup 2. Backup 3. Same as 2&3 -- Ken Russell kenrussellyourhat@optushome.com.au Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail .. "dough office manager" <dough office manager@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEB91A8A-7735-4596-8C3A-2C415C2BBBCE@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to get back to the original spreadsheet after accidentall > save > s...

Outlook stopped saving sent items yet is still set to save. Help?
Outlook 2003 All good and then sent items aren't being saved when sent. No change to email option settings and still set to save on sending mail to sent items. Reselected options and tried again but no use. Not saving mail when sending. Very annoying! Please help? What type of email account? Are you looking in the correct folder? Do you have the option enabled to save items with the original, when they aren't in the inbox? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

Problem setting default folders to save in Publisher
I work on a networked system running XP; I'm still on NT2000. Recently we upgraded to Office 2003. Since then, even though Tools--Options indicates my work should save by default to my network folder, all saves go to a quirky folder atProgram Files--Microsoft Office--Office11. Nothing on this local drive gets backed up. Has anyone had success in getting this bug worked out so that saves go to the folders designated in the Tools--Options task pane? ...

Save data as it is enerted.
How can I get my form to store data that I enter in a field, so that next time as I start to type the same data it populate the rest of the data. For example, if I enter a company name "My Company" the first time, the next time as I start typing "My..." it should populate all company names that begins with those letters and have been entered before. Possible?? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Forms don't store data, tables do. If you want a way, on a form, to see a list of the company names that match what you are typing in, take a look at how th...

how can undo my preset first line indent on just the first paragra
how can undo my preset first line indent on just the first paragraph. i need to have all subsequent paras indented. in my previous version of word when i set this in 'special' indent, i could easily undo that on any paragraph by using backspace. i am using word 2007. Open your normal.dotx template from within Word (using the Open command in the Office button), select the paragraph mark in the otherwise blank typing area (Show Non-Printing Characters: Ctrl- Shift-8), and apply the style Normal. Save the template. The next time you make a new document, the cursor will be at...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

Word 2010 beta: Cannot save my Normal.dotm file
(I keep asking this question in the wrong place; maybe this is the right one...) Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever, and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change in file size). But when I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made. I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm template. Are you on a corporate network? ...

cannot edit and save #2
hi, i am using excel 2000. i cannot edit and save a existing file. the file is not protected,not read only and not shared. when i open the file, a Microsoft excel window appear saying "File is locked. In order to save changes to the file, you can either close the file before making any changes and then re-open it, use Save As (File menu) to save the file using another filename, or turn off Shared Workbooks and then save the file." i try to clear the checkbox on the format cells>protection>Locked but still when i click save a window appear saying "Document not saved" ...

undo a macro
Hello. I am trying to figure out if the condition of a worksheet or workbook can be captured prior to running a macro so that the results of the macro can be undone by using the the undo button. -- Thanks, Mike Hi Mike, Look here: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip23.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mike Archer" <MikeArcher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC161A31-95C1-4DC8-9FC2-2AC3F68FF3BB@microsoft.com... > Hello. I am trying to figure out if the condition of a worksheet or > workbook > can ...

VBA- Undo?
v2007 Is there no Application.Undo in PPT? If not, has anyone had success using another strategy in VBA for reversing the last action a user did in a slide edit? Thanks, Melina You can call on the Undo button using the following code: Application.CommandBars.ExecuteMso "Undo" - Chirag PowerShow - View multiple PowerPoint slide shows simultaneously http://officeone.mvps.org/powershow/powershow.html "Mel" <mel.turco@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:89f5064e-0901-428a-bdce-9d61f1d2cce0@15g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > v2007 > > I...

Saving information to PERSONAL.XLS
I have a macro that asks the user for their name and email address during execution. How can I save this information so that they don't have to reenter it every time they run the macro on a new spreadsheet? There's no point in saving it to the current spreadsheet, as every time they run the macro, it's on a new spreadsheet. Can I store the information to PERSONAL.XLS, then automatically save PERSONAL.XLS so they don't get prompted when closing Excel, and then go get their hat information the next time they run the macro on a new spreadsheet? Thanks! Dee ...

Excel 2003 doesn't save files in network disk drive
WinXP Pro SP2 + Office2003 OEM All the applications open, edit and save in the netwoth HDD but Excel2003 doesn't save. It opens an existing file, we try to save it and it shows a error message related with sharing permissions. It creates a temp file but even that returns error. All other applications work perfectly. Even with a new worksheet it does the same. Does not allow to save in the network drive. The same users in other computers have no problem. It's a brand new machine, new software. Error ID 10036. Thank's -- Pedro Esteves What kind of error do you get wh...

Save PDF
How can I save a PDF file within an XML document using VB.NET? <Document> <DocumentType>PDF</DocumentType> <EncodeType>Base64</EncodeType> <Content>[PDF DatA]</Content> </Document> ...

Saving Query's Result Set as a Table
Included with MS-Excel is MS-Query. I use MS-Query to select records from a dbaseIII formatted data base. The Query produces the desired results, but I've not been able to save the results of the query as a "table," i.e. as a dbaseIII tab deliminated file In the version of original Query that came with Excel95, one merely went to SAVEAS and dbaseIII was an option. That version no longer works because it depends on ODBC files that are updated by the Excel97 application. According to the manual provided by Microsoft for Query, to save the result of a query as a new tabl...

save as problem
I cant save my excel file The "save as" option is not eviable. Whats happening? "From a prior post by Ron DeBruin, You can reset your menubar to default. Right click menubar. Customize > Toolbars Tab. Select worksheet menubar. Click Reset button. Using VBA Application : CommandBars(""Worksheet menu bar"").Controls(""File"").Reset Or the whole menubar Application.CommandBars(1).Reset You lost the things you add to the menubar!!" ========================================================== And one link that offers some sugges...

undoing conditional formatting
Hello and great day today. I use conditional formatting to find an error(s) in many rows and columns when my grand totals aren't matching both down and across. I might have 15 columns and 45 rows with data and currency listed. I must make sure each row across matches to a grand total and same down with the columns. The conditional formatting is great for high-liting discrepancies But it also highlites rows that are not really errors when put together with another row. So I fix the row with an actual error but how do I get rid of the highlite on the rows which are not really errors. I can...

Saving Emails with Attachements
Hi - Although I am a relatively new user to Outlook I am somewhat computer literate. Here's my scenario...........I get an email with attachments (usually an excel spreadsheet) I know how to save the excel spreadsheet to my computer - but I also want the actual body of the email to be saved along with that. What I have been doing, in a roundabout way, is creating another tab in the excel spreadsheet, calling it email body, then copying and pasting the email body text into excel, then reformatting it and saving the whole thing in excel. It just seems that that is a pain. I'm ...

Why undo command does not undo deleted worksheet?
Why MS Excel2007 undo command does not undo deleted worksheet? No Excel version will do that. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sults" <eesnimi.perenimi@mail.ee> wrote in message news:0975315C-F21E-4B7D-96B6-6AB74A3EC281@microsoft.com... > Why MS Excel2007 undo command does not undo deleted worksheet? AFAIK no version of Excel will undo a deleted sheet. The warning message is quite explicit when deleting a sheet. "Data will be lost" If you have deleted a sheet, close the workbook without saving. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:40:01 -07...