Unable to Read File #2

 I cut and paste another   part of  the file to an existing excel file,
When open the file again, the page is blank and a dialog box  states:
"Unable to open file".  I saved my work every step of the way. I made a
backup copy and have tried it several times.  Each time the dialog box
states : Unable to read file.  What is the problem?

0
reburns (1)
9/1/2005 10:20:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Are you by any chance running XL97 or XL2K, and within the range that is
being cut and pasted have any references to names that use formulas such as
GET.WORKBOOK etc?

I would have expected it to crash Excel if you do, but worth asking the
question anyway I think.

If you COPY and paste, do you get the same result as CUT and paste.

What is in the range you are cutting?

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

"r burns" <reburns@cpinternet.com> wrote in message
> I cut and paste another   part of  the file to an existing excel file,
> When open the file again, the page is blank and a dialog box  states:
> "Unable to open file".  I saved my work every step of the way. I made a
> backup copy and have tried it several times.  Each time the dialog box
> states : Unable to read file.  What is the problem?

0
ken.wright (2489)

Excel File Corruption
I have a large excel spreadsheet (exceeding 5MB) that suddenly failed to update cell references. Due to the amount of changes being made on this particular day, I had put about three hours of work in ( all saved periodically) when I realized that cells referring to other celss were not updating when the values of the xource cells changes. I also discovered that cell references had failed to update when rows were added above the source cells. I work for a large international services firm, but our in-house tech group had no answers, excpet to suggest closing everything, re-booting, and reope...

Need help restoring (ME) Outlook pst file to (2000 Professional) Outlook
We backed up original (ME) Outlook pst files to CD. Reformatted hard drive and installed 2000 Professional. We are having a hard time restoring the pst files on the new operating system. We have tried dragging and droping the pst file to C\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook, them turning off the read only attributes. This did not work. Next after reading serveral other posts we tried opening outlook. Then going to file\open\personal files. This does not work either. We belive the problem is within the path, as we are receiving a "can not find at this location error&...

Forefront security Service pack 2 for exchange
Hi, Microsoft announced for 3 of its scanning engine retiring on 1st Dec, 2009 and to implement SP2 before 1st Dec, 2009 for better resuls. Anyone completed this deployment. What are all the precuations needs to be taken while upgrading forefront sp2 on exchange 2007 SP1. How to rollback if the forefront SP2 installtion fails or cause some of the issues. Regards, Kedar Hi, Yesterday updated to Forefront SP2. On Edge servers all works fine. On Mailbox role CCR cluster - can't download updates, in application log messages "license expired" , but ...

Read Hebrew right-to-left
When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right instead -rith-to-left. Where do I fix this? View | Encoding | ... Nathan wrote: > When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are > corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right > instead -rith-to-left. > Where do I fix this? ...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

Unable to open calendar

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Need to read PAR PORT data bits URGENT
I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet. I need to read the input data on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to them.. ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious? Thanks again all. Nappy First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous. The standard parallel port driver does not support reading from it. (Besides, modern machines don't have parallel ports). You wil...

Customer Types #2
We have thousands of customers on our system, a lot of which we imported when we moved to RMS. I have several types of customers who are members of different 'clubs' e.g. barbeque club, food club, discount club, staff member etc, and then i have 2 stores. I want to be able to pull out groups of customers for analysis, and currently i can do this to a certain extent using filters to select the range of account numbers that i want, for example all staff numbers start with S so i can pull them out etc. My question is, can i set up several customer types e.g Staff Member Donaghade...

Mail Box Size #2
Hi All, I have a user with a 6 gig + mailbox. We are using Exchange 2003 (enterprise) and Outlook 2003. He is now experiancing problems with the program running like a slug. It doesn't appear to be locking up, just taking for ever to do everything. He claims it was fine until front page crashed, which took the computer down (needing a re-boot) and outlook hasnt' worked right since. So what I have done, is delete the profile and recreate, appear to work for me, but now is locked up again. The auto archive does not appear to removing items from the mailbox. Does anyone hav...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

unable to scroll the page

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Plotting data in Excel #2
Is it possible to generate a cell range mathmatically using formulas and "Concatenate" in one reference cell, and then use the contents of the cell to define the data range for an X-Y plot? In other words, instead of manually selecting the data range to be plotted using a pick box, I want the reference the contents of a cell that has computed the data range. Thanks -- James ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...

Unable to conect