Trouble sorting a table???

Using Excel 2002)

I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in
a basic spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having
trouble sorting some of the results from a table.

(I'll try and explain as best as I can)

I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts,
credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in
this table by simple SUM functions)

I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total
balance. This is the table I'm having trouble with as I can't sort these
properly. I tried a simple Data / Sort but this changes some of the
functions I have in this table that I've used to get the values from my
other table.

for example: In my first table the results for the total balance for "Joe"
is in D12. So I've entered "=D12" in my second table (so the total balance
in the 2nd table will always the same correct balance for Joe in the first
table).

When I try and sort the data in the 2nd table by going to the Data tab and
selecting sort, it changes the functions in the table and the results get
all messed up. To continue on the same example....the function in Joe's
total balance cell will now be "=D14" or something like that instead of what
I entered in that cell to be correct ..."=D12"

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to correct this?? I'd like
to be able to easily sort this data with the simple Data / Sort option in
Excel.

(sorry for not explaining this more clearly. I did say I was a newbie,
right...lol?)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP  !!!!!!!!

0
no (445)
9/26/2005 7:20:06 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have you tried making the cell references absolute in the second table.
i.e. Joes total balance cell formula would be "=$D$12", this should
then maintain the same data coming through even if the cell is moved.

--
Sidnoir
Sidnoir's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25916

I didn't try that (or know anything about that...lol), but it did the trick,
THANK YOU !!!!!

"Sidnoir" <Sidnoir.1w0waa_1127833502.37@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Sidnoir.1w0waa_1127833502.37@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Have you tried making the cell references absolute in the second table.
> i.e. Joes total balance cell formula would be "=$D$12", this should
> then maintain the same data coming through even if the cell is moved.
>

> --
> Sidnoir
> Sidnoir's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25916
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470872

0
no (445)

Sorting Info
Does anyone know of a way to take information that is in a label format per se (see below) and sort it first by State, then by City? Someone told me that if I imported it into Excell, which I did, the info could then be sorted but they don't know how and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure it out. I have aproximately 1,000 names that I need sorted first alpha by State then alpha by City, then alpha by name. The info is currently laid out in Excell in a single column as follows: Name Street Address City, State Zip Phone number Name Street Address City, State Zip ...

Pivot table labels
I have a pivot table with the months for label headings. Instead of Jan-Feb- Mar, its Jan-Mar-Feb. How can I change the order? You can drag the columns into the correct order, or -- Select the heading cells Choose Data>Sort Click the Options button From the dropdown, select 'Jan,Feb,Mar' Click OK, click OK glenlee wrote: > I have a pivot table with the months for label headings. Instead of > Jan-Feb- Mar, its Jan-Mar-Feb. How can I change the order? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Creating a chart from a table of values
I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? Take a look at the dynamic charts here http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoCht "hydro1guy" wrote: > I would like to create a chart from a table of values using indexing so i can > vary the range of the table. Can anyone help? ...

sorting without affecting links
Sheet 1 complete list of names all pupils and fees per month Sheet 2/sheet per instructor - list of pupils per instructor with names and fees linked from sheet 1 Problem. If we add new names to sheet 1 then sort it alphabetically the rows change so sheets 2s values get messed up. One way is to use VLOOKUP in Sheet2 for the Fees Assume in Sheet1, names are in col A, Fees in col B data from row2 down In Sheet2, names are listed in A2 down, Fees to be extracted in B2 down Put in B2: =IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!A:B,2,0)) Copy B2 down as far as required -- Rgds Max xl ...

PO Printing Problem (sorting)
We recently upgraded to RMS 1.3 from 1.2. When printing a purchase order, I prefer to have the PO sorted by Order No. rather than lookup code (usually a worthless barcode). This makes it vastly easier for my distributors to input these. However, since the upgrade, when I hit print, RMS re-sorts the PO by lookup code. Is there a way to stop this from happening? Under General Options there's a "Don't Remember List Sorts" check box, but this doesn't effect the problem. Thanks! Gary Ray Black Diamond Games Concord, CA gray(at)blackdiamondgames. com This is a multi-part m...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

Sort by range
I have a current Macro performing a sort for me ... Range("A1:U700").Sort Key1:=Range("A2"), Order1:=xlDescending, Key2:=Range _ ("J2"), Order2:=xlAscending, Key3:=Range("K2"), Order3:=xlAscending, _ Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:= _ xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2:=xlSortNormal, _ DataOption3:=xlSortNormal .... but now I need to insert another sort. Only 3 criteria are allowed. What I want to do is specify after the sort above that if column A is th...

Pivot Table Not Refreshing Properly?
After creating a PivotTable, I discovered that there were several errors in the underlying data which caused improper values to show up in the PivotTable field drop-down lists. I have since re-generated the underlying data and replaced it in the Excel workbook. However, upon "refreshing" the PivotTable against the new data, I find that the 'improper values' still show up in the drop-down lists despite the fact that they no longer exist in the data! How can I remove the bad values from the drop-down lists without entirely rebuilding the PivotTable? Thank you for any help! ...

Copy a 2007 Word table into Excel
What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? Excel 2007 seems to handle this differently than it did before. -- Thanks for the help More detail would help. What's happening when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "tinks" <tinks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998D16BE-4E16-4B4E-B428-ACA930976BE8@microsoft.com... > What is the most efficient way of copying a 2007 Word Table into excel? > Excel 2007 seems to handle this d...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

unexpected conversion trouble

sum and insert into table?
Hi, I currently have a table which holds the following: Team Amount Date ------ --------- ----- Blue 100 01/01/08 Red 200 01/01/08 Green 500 01/01/08 Yellow 50 01/01/08 Team Amount Date ------ --------- ----- Blue 100 02/01/08 Red 200 02/01/08 Green 500 02/01/08 Yellow 50 02/01/08 I am able to show these on a graph on a daily basis, how can show sum...

How do you sort a multi-column list by rows?
I'm a worship leader, I need to create an index for the songs in my notebook. I'm using Excel (I'm an absolute beginner, just got it yesterday) and need to know how to sort a list with several columns (song title, tempo etc.) by any one of the columns and keep the rows intact. Thanks 4 the help. If I understood your problem correctly, this should help, at least a bit. Select ONE cell in the column you want to sort by. Then click on a button in the toolbar, it should say AZ and an arrow downwards. To do an ascending sort, click the button with and arrow upwards. If you don&...

Alphabetical Sorting
I started a spreadsheet of stock market tickers. I listed the stocks alphabetically by symbol, with the full name to the right. It would be helpful if I could sort alphabetically by name. I have tried selecting the cells and clicking on them, but that doesn't work. Can someone help. Thanks in advance. sheana Select both columns then Data>Sort on Column B. If all data is in one column then not so easy. Is there any delimiter between the symbol and name that could be used to split the column into two using Data>Text to Columns? Or if the symbols are all same length, fixed w...

Pivot Table toolbar
Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - this is very irritating! Is there any way to stop this happening? "GeoffS" <crammond-smith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:39d201c355a8$a7f788b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar > launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - > this is very irritating! > > Is there any way to stop this happening? I use Excel97 but it may be the same. You can have the toolbar on all the time, positio...

Table with FIFO Balances
Can anyone tell me which table holds FIFO balances in it? Thanks, Jocelyn Jocelyn, IV00102 has the quantities but I suspect your looking for IV10200 which has the history and the current FIFO layers. More info here: http://msdynamicsgp.blogspot.com/2007/09/weekly-dynamic-inventory-value-via-sql.html Mark (DynamicAccounting.net) http://www.dynamicaccounting.net On Oct 1, 3:44 pm, Jocelyn <Joce...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me which table holds FIFO balances in it? > > Thanks, > Jocelyn ...

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

Another Sorting Problem
I need help in sorting some data please. My input data are as follows: Column A Column B Employee Department Brown Sales Aikens Operations Stephens Sales Christian Accounting Smith Sales Watson Operations Rosen Accounting Woods Operations Mendoza Accounting I would like to "sort" the employee names by Department. My outpu would look something like this. Column X Column Y Column Z Accounting Operations Sales Christian Aikens Brown Rosen Watson Stephens Mendoza Woods ...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...

trouble
I have been using my MS Publisher 2000 for over 3 years. Just recently I attempted to access the Publisher program and got the following message: "This application must be installed to run. Please run setup fom the location where you originally installed the application." I have done everything I know to fix this including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I don't understand what happened overnight nor do I understand the instruction "run from the location you originally installed the program". I can not access the numerous publicaions that I have cr...

sorting stuff out
Hello i have a sheet with lots of rows and columns ie fruit no. in europe no. in usa etc.... apples 1 apples 1 bananas 2 bananas 2 orange 5 orange 5 what i'd ilke is to create a new sheet containing just the first row of e...