tricky graphing question

Hi all,

I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
exactly 20 data points per period.

My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
millisecond.

What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
begin from zero again.

So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.

Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?

Thanks

PFITZ
0
padraigf (3)
4/1/2008 1:38:17 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is currently
laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A and
value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the data in
a more 'rectangular' form:
   =INDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created table
as the basis for a multi line graph

"PFITZ" <padraigf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
> essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
> exactly 20 data points per period.
>
> My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
> variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
> corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
> millisecond.
>
> What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
> superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
> previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
> begin from zero again.
>
> So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
> hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>
> Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>
> Thanks
>
> PFITZ

0
Gerry3278 (36)
4/1/2008 2:28:33 PM
I should have said place the formula  to the RIGHT of the data
"GerryGerry" <Gerry@Gerry.anon> wrote in message
> I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is currently
> laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A
> and value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the
> data in a more 'rectangular' form:
>   =INDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
> place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
> across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created table
> as the basis for a multi line graph
>

> "PFITZ" <padraigf@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
>> essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
>> exactly 20 data points per period.
>>
>> My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
>> variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
>> corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
>> millisecond.
>>
>> What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
>> superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
>> previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
>> begin from zero again.
>>
>> So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
>> hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>>
>> Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> PFITZ

0
Gerry3278 (36)
4/1/2008 2:34:42 PM
Hi Gerry,

Yes that's how I've the data arranged, do I need to modify your
formula in any way?

It doesn't seem to do what I expect, although it is doing something.
It seems to be repeating the same values after a while.

On Apr 1, 3:28=A0pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
> I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is currently=

> laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A an=
> value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the data i=
> a more 'rectangular' form:
> =A0 =A0=3DINDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
> place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
> across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created table=

> as the basis for a multi line graph
>
> "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all,
>
> > I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
> > essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
> > exactly 20 data points per period.
>
> > My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
> > variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
> > corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
> > millisecond.
>
> > What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
> > superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
> > previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
> > begin from zero again.
>
> > So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
> > hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>
> > Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > PFITZ- Hide quoted text -

padraigf (3)
4/1/2008 2:36:46 PM
Before it starts repeating is it getting it right? also at what point does
it repeat

On Apr 1, 3:28 pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
> I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is currently
> laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A
> and
> value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the data
> in
> a more 'rectangular' form:
> =INDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
> place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
> across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created table
> as the basis for a multi line graph
>
> "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all,
>
> > I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
> > essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
> > exactly 20 data points per period.
>
> > My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
> > variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
> > corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
> > millisecond.
>
> > What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
> > superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
> > previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
> > begin from zero again.
>
> > So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
> > hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>
> > Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > PFITZ- Hide quoted text -

Gerry3278 (36)
4/1/2008 2:46:50 PM
It's repeating every 60 values. That will do me though, being able to
see 3 cycles might be more benficial.

On Apr 1, 3:46=A0pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
> Before it starts repeating is it getting it right? also at what point does=

> it repeat
>
> "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi Gerry,
>
> Yes that's how I've the data arranged, do I need to modify your
> formula in any way?
>
> It doesn't seem to do what I expect, although it is doing something.
> It seems to be repeating the same values after a while.
>
> On Apr 1, 3:28 pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
>

> > I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is current=
ly
> > laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A
> > and
> > value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the data=

> > in
> > a more 'rectangular' form:
> > =3DINDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
> > place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
> > across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created tab=
le
> > as the basis for a multi line graph
>
> > "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
> > > essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
> > > exactly 20 data points per period.
>
> > > My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
> > > variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
> > > corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent=

> > > millisecond.
>
> > > What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
> > > superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
> > > previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
> > > begin from zero again.
>
> > > So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
> > > hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>
> > > Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > > PFITZ- Hide quoted text -

padraigf (3)
4/1/2008 2:58:02 PM
I've just tried it out myself, and seems to work fine. I can't think why it
should repeat after 60 values (3 columns worth). Perhaps others here can
offer an explanation/solution.

I'm glad it's useful anyway.

Regards Gerry

On Apr 1, 3:46 pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
> Before it starts repeating is it getting it right? also at what point does
> it repeat
>
> "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi Gerry,
>
> Yes that's how I've the data arranged, do I need to modify your
> formula in any way?
>
> It doesn't seem to do what I expect, although it is doing something.
> It seems to be repeating the same values after a while.
>
> On Apr 1, 3:28 pm, "GerryGerry" <Ge...@Gerry.anon> wrote:
>

> > I'm a little unclear from your description as to how the data is
> > currently
> > laid out, by assuming it is a long list of values pairs (time in col. A
> > and
> > value in col. B), you could use the folowing formula to display the data
> > in
> > a more 'rectangular' form:
> > =INDIRECT("B" & (COLUMN()-1)*20 + ROW())
> > place this to the left of the data and copy this down 20 row then copy
> > across as many columns as needed. You can then use the newly created
> > table
> > as the basis for a multi line graph
>
> > "PFITZ" <padra...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I have a set of data which has been generated by a DAQ card, which is
> > > essentially a 50Hz sine wave, I was sampling at 1KHz, so I have
> > > exactly 20 data points per period.
>
> > > My frequency & phase are constant but my amplitude and duty cycle are
> > > variable. Currently I have thousands of Y values and each one
> > > corresponds to a unique X(time) value corresponding to each subsequent
> > > millisecond.
>
> > > What I would like to do is view my data in such a way as it is
> > > superimposing each 20 datapoint period of my sine wave on top of the
> > > previous one, ie after every 20 datapoints, I'd like the graph to
> > > begin from zero again.
>
> > > So that my graph would consist of 1-20 on the X scale, and have
> > > hundreds of individual data series, each of 20 datapoints.
>
> > > Is there any graphing option to allow this in excel?
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > > PFITZ- Hide quoted text -

Gerry3278 (36)

tricky program
i have just started working on this one, i need to find the smallest out of a selected number of numbers, i cant use if forever, and i need, a way to compare numbers as they are entered, and, the problem i ahve been having is that the number hm to signify how many input's will be taken keeps getting off track, and tips. #include <stdio.h> int main() { int total, a, i; float average = 0.0f; int hm; int counter; int clone; int number1; int number2; a = 1; total = 0; counter = 0; /*numbers smallest out of all of them */ while (a == 1) { printf("enter how man...

Question On Join only if Left table Items Is Not Null
I’m trying to make a query that joins two tables based on attributes set by the users. They have an input table with 25 attributes which they can either fill out or leave blank. If for instance fill out 2 attributes, it should find those attributes in the other table and make a join on all matches and additionally it should then ignore all the blanks in the join statement, as they don’t match. I put this in a small example: Parts Attr_1 Attr_2 Attr_3 Attr_ etc Part 1 QW RT .. Part 2 DF .. Part 3 AS DF ER .. Example User table Attr_1 Attr_2 Attr_3 Attr_ etc Volu...

Trailing Space / Format Question
Hey gang I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2003 that has values imported from a Crystal report. All the numbers have a trailing space, so I can not format them to show dollar signs, decimals, comma seperators, etc... I have tried to use the TRIM function, then copy/paste>Values only, but the values only paste gives me back the trailing space. Any ideas? Try this formula in a help column =--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160)," ")) copy and paste special as values and then use number formatting Regards, Peo Sjoblom "hagen" wrote: > Hey gang > > I have ...

How do I change bars into just lines on a bar graph?
I want to create a chart where I can represent data on a horizontal bar graph. However, instead of bars with thickness, I would prefer just to see a line representing each different data point. Is there a way I can change the bars into simple lines? Note, I've tried adjusting the thickness, but it never becomes just a line. You just want a horizontal line for each data point? Double click the series of bars, click on the Y Error Bars tab, click the negative icon, and choose Percentage and enter 100 in the box. Double click on the error bars and select line width and color. Then...

Links and Graphs
can anyone explain why is it the worksheet contains links and graphs will consist large amount of byte or data. any help would be appreciated... ...

creating a mean line in a bar graph
I would like to create a mean line for a bar graph with a data series that includes 5 categories. The trick is that I would like to create the mean line using only 4 of the categories (the fifth is don't know). Any ideas of how I can select only 4 of the 5 to create a mean reference line? Thanks. Assuming the bar chart has vertical bars (i.e., it is what Excel considers a column chart)... In a column adjacent to the one containing your data, in the first row add the formula to calculate the average (=AVERAGE({cell1:cell4}). In the next row enter ={previous cell} Copy this down to...

I have a data table that looks like this: Code ------------------- STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3 SNK-F STR-4 STR-O ------------------- "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge it. How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can' think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas? THANK YOU!! :confused -- AVER...

Controlling graph in a Form
Hi, I have a graph in a form and cannot format the data table. I have seen the code below, but this is for the On Print event of a Report. How can I make this work within a form? Which of event should I use. I have a tried a few and though the code is triggered the desired result is not achieved. On Error Resume Next Dim objGraph As Object Dim objDS as Object Set objGraph = Me!TheNameOfYourGraph.Object Set objDS = objGraph.Application.DataSheet 'Singe decimal place, 200 data points 'Format is the same as Excel VBA objDS.Range("A1:A200").Number...

Quick OWA question
Exhcange 2003: We are using forms based authentication with https on our owa page. This page was customized by someone who has since left the company. I recently applied SP1 which obviously changed our logon.asp back to the default. Can I simply restore this file from our backups or did SP1 make changes that would prevent me from doing this? ...

Tricky Autoreply
Hi I have set auto reply for a user, username is test (outlook rule – have server reply using), gave the user “test” send on behalf “user1.” In the From filed for the auto reply I am entering “user1”, but exchange is not accepting this rule and disabling it. I want the autoreply to be set on “test” user mailbox but going out from “user1”. Any ideas ?? -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:37:27 -0700, "Nawar75" <Nawar75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I have set auto reply for a user, username is test (outloo...

VBA Question
I have written a VBA Panel with one of the buttons being a page upand page down button using the following code Private Sub CommandButton26_Click() On Error Resume Next With ActiveWindow.View Call .GotoSlide(.Slide.SlideIndex + 1) End With End Sub The code works in the slide view but not the slide master view. What am I missing? What would you expect it to do in Master view? (There are no slides to goto in this view) -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_...

Question RE: Publisher
Several years ago my father purchaced (legally) publisher 98, and has had it on our family computer. Recently the computer needed to be replaced because it was to slow to function comfortably. We still have the origional publisher disc, booklet, but lack the box and serial number. Is there anyway in which we can retrieve this? or get a new #? Curtis, if you still have the old computer, try running BeLarc Advisor. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html It's free to individual users. On my system it tell me the serial number and keys of most of the software packages I have install...

excel: tricky formula/function question
howdy, all :) maybe someone can help me. i have an interesting "problem" and maybe someone has the answer. i am using excel. i am trying to figure out a formula/function which can convert a small set of numbers into a different set of numbers without manually using the "sort" function. here is an example: i have one column of seven rows with the following values: x 31.5 x 32.0 34.1 x 29.5 i want to convert that into a different column, using formulas/functions so that the new column reads: 31.5 32.0 34.1 29.5 (blank) (blank) (blank) basically, i want to take one colu...

Scatter graph in Excel 2007
I need to make a scatter chart for Kinetic energy and potential energy (both on the Y axis) with height on the X axis. I cant seem to do this. my data should cause the PE and KE to cross over like an X but I cant get it to plot both. Thanks. Use three columns for your data, with the X value in the first column. Put labels above your Y data columns, but leave the cell above the X data blank. Now select the data and create the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "LV...

Y Axis Displayed on left and right of graph
I would like to display the same Y Axis Values on both sides of the graph, rather than just on the left or right hand side of the graph. eg: 10,000 10,000 15,000 15,000 20,000 20,000 Is this possible? "Bob Smith" <Bob Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF76FD60-4A85-47BA-BDE9-5806C2B37094@microsoft.com... > I would like to display the same Y Axis Values on both ...

tricky formatting Q (perhaps not so tricky)
.......this has been driving my wife and i crazy......but it's probably easy stuff for some of you. we have a list of currency amounts....$23.61, $54.67, $110.00, $54.30 in place of those numbers, what we would like are: 00002361, 00005467, 00011000, 00005430 so basically wanting to have an eight digit number, with zeros preceeding the point that the number is displayed such that it is the last X number of places to complete the 8 digit requirement) is there a way to first do a check for the length of the currency number....length as in number of places......and then return the ze...

How to do a comparison block graph
Hi all I need to do a graph in excel a stacked column which contain five blocks, but what I also need is to have one block next to thi one to compare the two blocks, I hope this makes sense, any hel appreciated Cheer -------- www.coffeecozy.co Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good! Rutima, Maybe my coffee's gotten too cold, but I don't know what you want in the second column. If you want a single column (all one color) that's the same height as the stacked ones, you could include a second data point in any series whose cell has a formula that sums the data...

CEdit question
I have a CEdit control in a dialog box, and I want to disable the "beam" mouse cursor that is loaded when the mouse moves over the edit control, I just want to keep the "arrow" mouse at all times. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thx Override the OnSetCursor for the view or dialog something like this... BOOL CMyView::OnSetCursor(CWnd* pWnd, UINT nHitTest, UINT message) { if ( pWnd->GetDlgCtrlID() == IDC_EDIT1 ) { SetCursor( LoadCursor( NULL, IDC_ARROW ) ); return TRUE; } return CFormView::OnSetCursor( pWnd, nHitTest, message ); } ...

Controlling Lines in a Line Graph
I cannot find a "move to back"/"move to front" option on line graphs. Is there a to control which line is the line on top (most forward) in a line graph? Does it involve the order in which I select my data series? Is there a secret line placement feature that I can't seem to find? Any assistance is welcome. Format the series, series order. This order controls which line goes on top -- Best Regards, Luke M "PapaV53" <PapaV53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F1854AD-D63A-4BD7-86A2-EB835CF5E38F@microsoft.com... &g...

CListCtrl Question #2
Hi, All. The recent mention of using CListCtrl sparked my interest and I thought I'd play with it. Before I describe my question (problem), I will list what I can do: What I can do: Create the CListCtrl Add Strings with Icons to the list members Handle events, such as BN_CLICKED Modify contents of window, based on current selection at runtime. What I can't do: 1) Get anything at all to show with the "Reports" view. 2) Get the Icons/strings to form a single column in the "List" view. 3) Discover (as hinted at in earlier posts) how to change the text characteri...

Question about Excel Graph
Hello- I am trying to do a graph of inventory levels by day. This is a simple line graph. However, there is a target inventory level of 20-30 each day. What I am trying to do is add some kind of color to the plot area only between the x-axis points of 20-30 so that the line graph can be shown both inside and outside of this target level. Thanks for any help you can have Have a look at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BackgroundFill.html -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink ...

MTA Queues Question
We have recently migrated to a AD domain, but still run Exchange 5.5 on the old NT domain (and have a trust setup back to it). We are having a problem bring up the queues on the Exchange Administrators WORKSTATION for one of our MTAs that exist on a NON-NT DOMAIN controller (i.e. member server in the NT domain running 2000). We can open the MTA on the NT Servers that are Domain Controllers from the AD workstation, but not the non-DC Exchange box. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get the MTA Queues to open for the non-NT domain controller box from a AD workstation? Nevermi...

Overwhelmed, Just Started, Quick Question
Hey, I just opened Access (2003) for the first time ever today. I'm trying to get through the tutorials, but it's a lot to take in. Could someone explain how I could do the following in the simplest (read: newb-friendly) way possible? Appreciate it. I want to create a form that has a few combo boxes which pull options from a single table. I want a subsequent combo box to change according to the option the user pics on the first combo box. Then I want a text box to populate from a table based on the preceeding choices. I.e.: Combo Box 1 pulls from Table_Meals and list...

Graphing and Axis Values
Quick question, Im taking in the values for a scatter plot and when graphed My X axis is being labeled with row values. For example if I have 100 points lets say the first column is values 10,20...1000 and the 2nd column has 100,200...10000. Now my first few points are (10,100) (20,200) etc. But the graph is showing 1,2,3,4,5 for the x values on the axis, these number are corresponding to the row these points are on. When you hover over the point I get the message Point "10" (1,100) How do I switch these around? -- Thundersixx ----------------------------------------------...

graphs #3
I have data that looks like th following A B 01/08/05 4009 How do I get Excel to calculate how often each number 01/15/05 4179 was presented in a chart to look like the following 01/15/05 5140 01/22/05 4009 3 01/31/05 4009 2 1 4009 4179 5140 Job Number Help Please. ...