Transferring Text

I need to be able to send data from one worksheet to another. Sheet 1 is the
master and only sheet where data is entered. I have found out all cells have
to be set to "Text" - which is not a problem.

Sheet 1
Column A is Name
Column B is Date of Birth
Column C is the Surgery's name

Is there a way that when the Surgery name is entered in say C5 the row's
Name and Date of Birth can be sent to the next vacant row in say Sheet 3.

Because of the number of surgeries, it is not possible to set them up to
receive data from Sheet 1 - which is much easier, of course.

I thought of a 4th column with a surgery's number (01 to 21) when that
number may be used (rather than text) as the key to the transfer.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

TIA

Ed

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ed
    What you want done is easy enough to do and would require VBA.  I take
it that the destination sheet names are the names of the surgeries.  Is that
correct?
    You suggest using numbers instead of surgery names.  Using the surgery
name is no problem at all.  I would suggest, though, that you select the
surgery name from a Drop-Down list of surgery names rather than rely on
spelling the name correctly.  The VBA code would be stumped if the surgery
name was misspelled.
I don't know where you got the idea that you should set the cells to "Text".
From what you say about what you have and what you want to have, you should
leave all cells set to "General".  Excel will automatically reset the date
cell to "Date" when you enter something that looks like a date.
    If you wish, send me your file or an example of your file (I need just
the data layout, surgery names, etc.) and I'll set it up for you.  My email
address is ottokmnop@comcast.net.  Remove the "nop" from this address.  HTH
Otto
"Ed O'Brien" <edward.j.obrien@deletebtinternet.com> wrote in message
>I need to be able to send data from one worksheet to another. Sheet 1 is
>the master and only sheet where data is entered. I have found out all cells
>have to be set to "Text" - which is not a problem.
>
> Sheet 1
> Column A is Name
> Column B is Date of Birth
> Column C is the Surgery's name
>
> Is there a way that when the Surgery name is entered in say C5 the row's
> Name and Date of Birth can be sent to the next vacant row in say Sheet 3.
>
> Because of the number of surgeries, it is not possible to set them up to
> receive data from Sheet 1 - which is much easier, of course.
>
> I thought of a 4th column with a surgery's number (01 to 21) when that
> number may be used (rather than text) as the key to the transfer.
>
> Can anyone offer me any advice on this?
>
> TIA
>
> Ed

0
ottokmnop (389)
8/2/2006 9:27:48 PM
Thanks, Otto.

It's way past midnight here now so, if you're okay, I'll try and set out
something tomorrow and send it to you. I haven't a clue about VBA, though,
so I hope it's not too difficult. At my age (70), steep learning curves hurt
like hell!

Best wishes,

Ed

"Otto Moehrbach" <ottokmnop@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ed
>    What you want done is easy enough to do and would require VBA.  I take
> it that the destination sheet names are the names of the surgeries.  Is
> that correct?
>    You suggest using numbers instead of surgery names.  Using the surgery
> name is no problem at all.  I would suggest, though, that you select the
> surgery name from a Drop-Down list of surgery names rather than rely on
> spelling the name correctly.  The VBA code would be stumped if the surgery
> name was misspelled.
> I don't know where you got the idea that you should set the cells to
> "Text". From what you say about what you have and what you want to have,
> you should leave all cells set to "General".  Excel will automatically
> reset the date cell to "Date" when you enter something that looks like a
> date.
>    If you wish, send me your file or an example of your file (I need just
> the data layout, surgery names, etc.) and I'll set it up for you.  My
> email address is ottokmnop@comcast.net.  Remove the "nop" from this
> address.  HTH Otto
> "Ed O'Brien" <edward.j.obrien@deletebtinternet.com> wrote in message
>>I need to be able to send data from one worksheet to another. Sheet 1 is
>>the master and only sheet where data is entered. I have found out all
>>cells have to be set to "Text" - which is not a problem.
>>
>> Sheet 1
>> Column A is Name
>> Column B is Date of Birth
>> Column C is the Surgery's name
>>
>> Is there a way that when the Surgery name is entered in say C5 the row's
>> Name and Date of Birth can be sent to the next vacant row in say Sheet 3.
>>
>> Because of the number of surgeries, it is not possible to set them up to
>> receive data from Sheet 1 - which is much easier, of course.
>>
>> I thought of a 4th column with a surgery's number (01 to 21) when that
>> number may be used (rather than text) as the key to the transfer.
>>
>> Can anyone offer me any advice on this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ed

HTML mail became Plain Text
Hi, I subscribed to some email alerts on the internet like many people do. Every now and then I recieve messages that are suppose to be HTML turned to plain text when they arrived my Outlook mailbox. What's puzzling is that some other alerts from the same site came in ok. One good example is alerts from www.officeusers.org. I'm using Outlook 2003, I DON'T have the "Read all standard mail in plain text" box checked, what else do I need to look into? Thanks, Saigon Tuna ...

about transfer order

automaticly copy text to header
I want a my template file to automaticly copy a text item (file or case number) into the header so that it will print on each page 2 throough the end of the document. Anyone know how this can be done? Copy from where? Many ways to do it, depending upon the answer to that question. If the file number was being entered into a userform, it could be written to a document variable and then displayed where required in the document by the use of DocVariable field. See the following page of fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website : http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserF...

Transfering messages

wrapping text around another text box
My problem is this...I have two text boxes. I want to wrap one text box around the other text box but nothing seems to be working. What I want to do with the one to the left is make it into an "L" shape so that the box on the right simply fits in the empty space of the "L" to form basically a square. I have tried turning on all those text wrapping features with both boxes and cannot figure out for the life of me what is happening. I have a box drawn around the box on the right...don't know if that has something to do with it. I have tried removing it and sti...

add if populated with some text
Hi all In cell B13 I need it to add 1 to B12 only if C13 is populated with some text or a number. Can this be done? Thank You I think this is what you mean: =IF(TRIM(C13)="some_text",B12+1,0) in B13. You didn't specify what you wanted if C13 does not contain the required text, so I've assumed you want 0, although you might want to change this to B12. Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 14, 10:52 pm, "MrJim005" <jimbea...@nospam.sbcglobal.net> wrote: > Hi all > > In cell B13 I need it to add 1 to B12 only if C13 is populated with some > text or...

HR Position Transfers

Find text in another workbook and paste if found match
Hi! Please need help. I dont know if it possible but... I have 1 workbook sheet with formulas and values that i want to find and paste in another workbook by run a macro. in the workbook1, select the cell with value that i want to paste to workbook2 if the text that i want to find in the workbook2 its found Example select and copy [workbook1]sheet1!k1 (the cell with the value that i want to paste) activate [workbook2]sheet1!a1 then find the text "article 12 ..." if it found select it and move cursor 2 cells right and then paste te value of [workbook1]sheet1!k1 return to [work...

Text in footer
I have a report with page breaks between departments, and the department name is kept in a text box. I want to add a text box to the page footer that also displays the department name that appears on that page. When I try to use the same control source, the names appear but not in the correct order. For instance, if Dept. A appears over two pages, the name "Dept. A" appears on the first page, but "Dept. B" appears on second page, etc. I also tried to set the control source of the footer text box to equal the value of the department name on the current page. me....

Windows Easy Transfer

Transferring an order to an invoice...

Text to Column #4
Hello, I have the following text in column A, which is one line: :! 10428712 ! NAME LASTNAME ! 20092004 ! 00458921 ! PMIAVW ! Is it possible with a VBA macro to create a column everytime there's "!" and to delete ":" Thanks for any help, You're going to have to find out what those characters are. I like Chip Pearson's addin: CellView http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm to tell me those funny characters. Then you could use a macro to clean them up: Option Explicit Sub cleanEmUp() Dim myBadChars As Variant Dim iCtr As Lon...

Is there a way to lock the size of the text box in Publisher?

TRANSFER OUT TO TRANSFER OUT
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH RMS FOR OVER A YEAR AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM. STORE A MAKES A TRANSFER OUT AND STORE B RECEIVES A COMPUTER TRANSFER IN THE TRANSFER OUT WINDOW INSTEAD OF A TRANSFER IN. IN ADDITION TO THAT THE TRANSFER HAS BEEN CLOSED AT STORE B'S END AUTOMITICALLY AND IT IS EMPTY. AN KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS THANKS Check HQ Client for errors, or from HQ Manager, view the event log for that store. You'll probably find some errors at Store B on the 401 that created the transfer. I would guess that Store A used a transfer number with more than 14 c...

Cannot Type Text Into Publisher
Hi there . . . hope someone can help me . . . I'm feeling rather aggravated with the following problem: I'm using Publisher 2000 (came w/ Office 2000 which came with our PC), we upgraded to XP Home last winter, and Tuesday night (8/26) we began to experience the following problem with Publisher: Whenever we try to type or paste any text (either in a new text box or into a previously saved Publisher document) we get an error that simply says "Publisher cannot complete the operation" with "OK" as the only option. We are not experiencing difficulty entering ...

excel not updating text boxes
i have several charts with textboxes lind to specific cells within my workbook. inside these cells are formulas that calculate values that I am trying to display on my charts in the text boxes. My calculations are set to automatic, but these text boxes are not updating unless i click in the formula bar for each of them and hit "enter." since i have several charts i don't want to be doing this hundreds of times a day. I have a total lack of confidence that my chart text boxes are displaying the correct values. is there some way to force them to update, maybe wit...

Fixed Asset transfer for a New Company
Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a transfer to a new company? Can you give us a little more detail on what you are needing to accomplish? If two companies are different legal entities there are all kinds of other rules on 'transferring' assets. Is this just a new database or are you doing an intercompany transaction? We can help, we just need a little more explanation. "FA user" wrote: > Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a > transfer to a new company? ...

Which Transfer In?
A question for you all, which our support company can not answer... If branch 5 receives a transfer from another branch of 64 of item 68209, but the paperwork is missing, and there is no label on the box to say which branch it has come from, is there a quick way of finding the correct Transfer in document? We have tried the Item movement and item movement history reports, but the answer is NO!. Basically, look through all of the transfers in, until you find the correct one. I'm, after a report or a solution which does not involve Store Administrator, as it should be an easy to us...

Activation Transfer
We currently have Publisher installed on our 3 computers. We have a computer we are replacing in our department. I need to know how I deactivate the computer we are replacing and transfer the activation onto the computer we are replacing it with. Thanks. There is no "deactivation". Uninstall it from old computer. Install it on new computer. Select telephone activation if necessary. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44CF7...

Text Cutoff
I am putting some forms together in Access 2003. Some of the text is being cut off when I try to print the forms. Any ideas why its cutting off only the last letters? Only some of the text is being cut off. Thanks a bunch, in advance! Maybe the text box is too small. Also if you font is not available in the printer it selects what it thinks is a close match and prints but might not be correct for the space allocated. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "ibo4lyf" wrote: > I am putting some forms together in Access 2003. Some of the text is > being cut off wh...

convert per cent text to number
in access query: i have a text field that express percent as ex. :2.5% I want to convert this to a number. I've tried changing the underlying table's (a linked table) field type to numeric but get whole/rounded numbers even when I attempt to express it with multiple decimal places. How can I convert by using a query? It is probably already a number! just formatted to show a % FORMAT, but format is make-up for what is displayed. The "real" stuff is pr0bably already a number ( a value between 0 and 1, quite likely). What leaves you on the impression it is not a numbe...

Transferring SMTP server to the new exchange
if I introduce new exchange server into the network how do i transfer SMTP server to the new exchange so that outgoing emails use it instead of the old exchange server? thank you On your current servers setup smart host to the new server. Do this from: 1. Exchange System Manager virtual server settings. 2. Delivery property sheet 3. Advanced 4. Smart Host - You can enter the IP insquare brackets or the machine name. cheers, Alexander Zammit Software Development Consultant Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the new MS Exchange Resource site at http://www.exchangeinbox.com/ "asdf" &...

When I import a csv file text that contained a + gets scrambled
Using Excel 2003 (11.6560.6568) SP2 When I import external data from a csv file all fields that contain a "+" sign are scrambled on the excel file. Example: Tech+DataAnalyticsSTF-Managemt from the csv file Looks like this after the import to Excel Techණ娂皥쫘鲱ⓅManagemt I am using the Text Import Wizard feature Step 1 - Delimited Start Import at row 1 File Origin: 65000: Unicode (UTF-7) Step 2 - Delimiters checked off Tab and Comma Not checked off - Treat consectutive delimiters as one Text qualifier = " Step 3 Column Data format = Text ...

transferring files #3
hi, i just got a new computer. i want to transfer the contacts and emails, basically the all the information i had in outlook express on my old computer to the new one. i tried to just copy outlook onto a zip disk and put it on the new computer but that didn't work. i can't seem to find any folders where this info is in outlook. need help! thanks I'm not exactly sure about Outlook Express, but in Outlook there is an 'Import / Export' function in the 'File' menu. From here, follow the steps and create a 'pst' file for your contacts and messages....