Transferring column width format from a worksheet?

To be specific, I will describe the situation for an address/telephone
spreadsheet. This sheet will columns of various widths. One for area
code needs only ton handle three digit entries while the basic number
needs eight characters if you include the hyphen. A street address could
be fairly long, 20 characters or more. A state code needs only two.

If I want another sheet with the same column widths as one I like, how
can you transfer the column width formatting? Paste Special format does
not seem to transfer column widths.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
0

Have you tried paste special>column widths?

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:47:55 -0800, Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>To be specific, I will describe the situation for an address/telephone
>spreadsheet. This sheet will columns of various widths. One for area
>code needs only ton handle three digit entries while the basic number
>needs eight characters if you include the hyphen. A street address could
>be fairly long, 20 characters or more. A state code needs only two.
>
>If I want another sheet with the same column widths as one I like, how
>can you transfer the column width formatting? Paste Special format does
>not seem to transfer column widths.
>
>Bill
0
phnorton (279)
2/23/2011 12:34:59 AM
In article <agl8m6tg9mrp9hegmfnk1vb2pgk2t1igli@4ax.com>,
 Gord Dibben <phnorton@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Have you tried paste special>column widths?
>

> Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:47:55 -0800, Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >To be specific, I will describe the situation for an address/telephone
> >spreadsheet. This sheet will columns of various widths. One for area
> >code needs only ton handle three digit entries while the basic number
> >needs eight characters if you include the hyphen. A street address could
> >be fairly long, 20 characters or more. A state code needs only two.
> >
> >If I want another sheet with the same column widths as one I like, how
> >can you transfer the column width formatting? Paste Special format does
> >not seem to transfer column widths.
> >
> >Bill

Wow! I was so used to not seeing that possibility. Even after it was
added to more recent versions of Excel, I continued not to see it. I
also have visual deficiency.

Thanks for jolting me out of my rut.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
0
SalmonEgg (56)

hide rows if nil result of formula in specific column
Hi, I need to pull information from one multiple spreadsheets to another purely by formulas and have rows with a nil value result in a specific column hide themselves automatically in my destination spreadsheet. Thanks Joy Rows cannot be hidden by using a formula. You can make a cell look blank by using a formula. =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) entered in A1 of Sheet2 You can hide rows by filtering out blank cells in a column. You can use VBA to hide rows based upon blanks in a column. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:14:0...

about transfer order

Print Column A (287 entries)
Hello I have 287 entries in Column A, with a width of 39. My goal is to print this data but not is so many pages. IE: Apple Banana Cantaloupe Grapes Orange Peaches Pear Plums Watermelon Would like to print like this: Apple Banana Cantaloupe Grapes Orange Peaches Pear Plum Watermelon or: Apple Grapes Pear Banana Oranges Plum Cantaloupe Peaches Watermelon Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Silv -- Silvy ---------------------------------...

Transfering messages

Date format #16
I want to format a column of cells so that when 012208 is entered with the numeric keypad, 01/22/2008 appears in the cell. So far, I'm getting 6/3/1933. Thanks, Cathy Hate to say it but why not just type the extra two characters to make it 1/22/08? If you type "12208" in a cell, Excel assumes you are entering a serial date (hence the conversion to 6/3/1933). How much easier to just type the two "/" and don't force Excel to guess what you want. HTH, JP On Jan 22, 10:00=A0pm, "Cathy C" <cchrist...@aristotle.net> wrote: > I want to format a...

Formula for summary from two column
Date Fruits Quantity Fruits 2007 2008 2007 Apple 10 Apple 2007 Orange 56 mango 2007 Mango 48 watermelon 2007 Pineapple 87 orange 2007 Mango 125 strawbery 2007 Citrus 45 citrus 2007 Banana 987 banana 2007 Pineapple 265 grape 2008 Citrus 485 papaya 2008 Banana 698 pineapple 2008 Grape 463 2008 Papaya 216 2008 strawbery 254 2008 Banana 744 2007 Orange 885 2007 Apple 1236 2007 Citrus 1214 2008 watermelon 1546 2008 Apple 8952 2008 Papaya 874 2008 Banana 236 2008 Pineapple 95 2008 Orange 4123 2008 Citrus 236 2007 Banana 216 2008 Mango 956 2008 watermelon 211 2...

Problem inserting a column!!!
Hello all. I just accessed a worksheet which Im trying to add a column to... I highlight the column which i want the new column inserted ...and when i try to insert a column it doesnt work! A warning message comes up stating that a column cannot be inserted until blank cells are removed from the right side of the sheet or something to that effect!? Whats going on??? Thank you. -- londonchick ------------------------------------------------------------------------ londonchick's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24529 View this thread: http://www.e...

Deleting Old Worksheets and Journals
Hi- we have had our RMS system implemented since July 2007. I am looking to do some system clean up of old journals and old worksheets since this has not been done since we implemented. I am thinking of writing some SQL statements and executing them in HQ Administrator but I wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if they foresee any issues or have any concerns. Thanks for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0063_01CAD7D1.35018830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-prin...

naming worksheet tabs
i need to name a worksheet tab with a name that is more characters than allowed. Can you make the tab larger to accommodate a larger tab name? I know you can make the tab larger in properties/appearance/advanced; however, that does not allow me to type in more characters. -- Thanks, Sharon Thank you for your reply. -- Thanks, Sharon "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Sorry, you cannot. > > Max length 31 > Exception characters [ ] * ? / \ > > -- > Jacob (MVP - Excel) > > > "SHARON" wrote: > > > i ne...

Excel 2007
Hello, Whenever I add a chart to a worksheet (in Excel 2007), the number of columns in that worksheet extend till column XFD - more than 16,000 column even if I use only 4... Is there a way to fix this? Thanks! Regardless of the number of rows/columns used XL2007 has 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns. It has nothing to do with having or not having a chart. However, the size of the file depends on how many cell have entries. There is not way to change the number of rows or column but you can hide some. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email &...

HR Position Transfers

Excel to PDG Format Error
Hi, I am used to using Excel 2007 to convert my workbooks into PDF's. However, recently, all of a sudden, everytime I PDF a workbook my Formating and graphs are all wrong. I have noticed that this only happens when I do multiple sheets, but the problem with doing individual ones is that I can't combine them with reader. Try Dr. Dan's All-Purpose Excel-PDF Cure: Select all worksheets by <ctrl> or <shift> clicking from the menu bar: File > Page Setup click into the Page Quality box, and select 600dpi, if it already says 600dpi, select it again. ...

Windows Easy Transfer

Default Value + Date Format + Check Box
I could use some help... I have a workorder form. On the form, I have a "FieldRepair" check box. If the check box is selected, it should lock down another field called "Date Picked Up." The "Date Picked Up" field is for equipment repaired in house. Not only must the "Date Picked Up" field be locked down if the equipment is to be repaired off-site, I also need the "Date Picked Up" field's default value to be the "Date Finished" field. Hope that all makes sense. I have the check box working as far as locking it down if the ...

Excess columns
I have set up my worksheet, but have a tremendous number of columns left unused. I have tried to delete them, but they don't go away. How can I get rid of them? Karen, you can not, but you can hide them ,select them and format columns hide -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:594ED2CD-74A9-4356-BEC7-787D45029470@microsoft.com... >I...

Numbering for column
Hi, Good Day! I seldom used microsoft excel but sometimes i do used it for some simple calculation. When I just opened an excel spreadsheet, the numbering of column is in number format(1, 2, 3...) and not in alphabet format(A, B, C...) May I know how can i reset it back to alphabet? Thanks in advanced. rgds, Phoebe Tools|Options|General|Uncheck R1C1 Reference Style (this is picked up from the first workbook you open in that session. So make sure you save your workbook after the change--and make a note of how you fixed it. It can happen again if the first workbook opened has R1C1 refe...

Is there an "Execute" worksheet function?
Is there a way I can get Excel to "execute" an expression that is stored in a cell as a test string? Say C4 contains "3+4". Can I put some expression in C5 that will execute that expression and result in "7"? I tried =calculate(C4) and a few other things, but no joy. in the absence of putting = in front of c4, try this =LEFT(C4,FIND("+",C4)-1)+RIGHT(C4,LEN(C4)-FIND("+",C4)) -- Don Guillett Excel MVP SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "LurfysMa" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:o5fn83thi0g5tivf55abvhv...

Formatting Cells/Data
Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up on the positive #'s. Hence the t...

Why formula doesn't change on column insertion?
Hello: I know I will feel stupid when I hear the answer, but... If I have a formula ( =average(a1:a5) ), and I insert a new column, the formula, being relative, changes to ( =average(a1:a6) ). This works fine in a test. BUT I have a working spreadsheet in which inserting a column does *not* change the relative formula. Why? I can't see anything different in my working spreadsheet... -- Fred Boer Never mind - resolved. -- Fred Boer "Fred Boer" <fredboer1@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:uin$VfrDIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello: > >...

Condition Format syntax
I have pairs of cells to test. What I want to check is if the value of the 2nd cell is higher than the first, but less than 1.5 times as high. I've tried various syntax combinations using 'Formula is', but just can't seem to hit the right one (Excel 2003). Can anyone help? -- Paul Hyett, Cheltenham (change 'invalid83261' to 'blueyonder' to email me) Hi Paul, Try this one: =IF(B1>A1,IF(B1<A1*1.5,"Yes","No"),"No") Regards, Per "Paul Hyett" <vidcapper@invalid83261.co.uk> skrev i meddelelsen news:XeIMdj...

Text to Column #4
Hello, I have the following text in column A, which is one line: :! 10428712 ! NAME LASTNAME ! 20092004 ! 00458921 ! PMIAVW ! Is it possible with a VBA macro to create a column everytime there's "!" and to delete ":" Thanks for any help, You're going to have to find out what those characters are. I like Chip Pearson's addin: CellView http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm to tell me those funny characters. Then you could use a macro to clean them up: Option Explicit Sub cleanEmUp() Dim myBadChars As Variant Dim iCtr As Lon...

SumIf across multiple worksheets
I have 13 worksheets I want to sum quarterly. The formula I've been trying is: =SUMIF(A5:A36,"136982",'Apr 4:Jun 27'!G5:G36) but I get a #Value! error message. In column A I have contract numbers. In column G is the crew size. I want to sum all the crew size based on specific contract numbers. Any help is appreciated :) In each of the other worksheet, are the contact numbers also in column A? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Alberta Rose" <AlbertaRose@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Transferring an order to an invoice...

combination of stacked and clustered column
Hi! Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered columns? B.R GmA If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm and Jon Peltier has links to other sites with information: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Grigori Margolin wrote: > Any ways to combine two types of chars: sgtacked columns and clustered > columns? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http:...