text form to numeric ?

E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value whereby
the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert it to a
numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One way, assuming that the values are mixed (some with/without "-" sign)
and that the values are in colA, which is formatted as text;

IF(RIGHT(Ax,1)="-",LEFT(Ax,LEN(Ax)-1)*-1,VALUE(Ax))

--
Regards;
Rob
"crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value
whereby
> the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert it
to a
> numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?

0
NotLikely (282)
1/11/2004 4:41:57 AM
Assuming tat the cell to check is the same cell where the formula reside,
how do I stop the formula from disappearing? After entering a value on the
cell where it contain formula, it disappear.
I tried to use conditional formatting but failed
"RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
> One way, assuming that the values are mixed (some with/without "-" sign)
> and that the values are in colA, which is formatted as text;
>
> IF(RIGHT(Ax,1)="-",LEFT(Ax,LEN(Ax)-1)*-1,VALUE(Ax))
>

> --
> Regards;
> Rob
> "crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value
> whereby
> > the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert it
> to a
> > numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?

You have to enter the formula in a separate column. e.g. your source
data is in column A and the formula is in column B. Then enter Rob's
formula in B1 (substituting the x with 1 and copy this cell for all
rows).

You cannot enter data and a formula in the same cell.
Frank

crapit wrote:
> Assuming tat the cell to check is the same cell where the formula
> reside, how do I stop the formula from disappearing? After entering a
> value on the cell where it contain formula, it disappear.
> I tried to use conditional formatting but failed
> "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/11/2004 9:27:48 AM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +0800, "crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com> wrote:

>E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value whereby
>the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert it to a
>numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?

If you have a later version of XL, you can use the Data/Text to Columns wizard.

--ron
I'd be interested to see how the text->column function would work in
this case, or any other simpler method for that matter. This is a
situation I run into daily dealing with files downloaded from the
mainframe that have trailing negative signs.

--
Regards;
Rob
"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@direcway.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +0800, "crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> >E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value
whereby
> >the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert
it to a
> >numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?
> >

> If you have a later version of XL, you can use the Data/Text to
Columns wizard.

> --ron

0
NotLikely (282)
1/11/2004 4:56:23 PM
Select the column, do data>text to columns and click Finish
That's it. Trailing minuses become real negative numbers and regular
positive numbers stay the same

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> I'd be interested to see how the text->column function would work in
> this case, or any other simpler method for that matter. This is a
> situation I run into daily dealing with files downloaded from the
> mainframe that have trailing negative signs.
>
> --
> Regards;
> Rob
> "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@direcway.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +0800, "crapit" <littlecramp@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >E.g A cell contain 1233- but the value is actually a numric value
> whereby
> > >the "-" behind is a negative sign, wat function do I use to convert
> it to a
> > >numeric form causing it to to become -1233 ?
> > >

> > If you have a later version of XL, you can use the Data/Text to
> Columns wizard.
> >

> > --ron

0
terre081 (3244)
1/11/2004 6:22:44 PM
Peo;
Can't get it to work so it means I'm missing something.
Is this supposed to work w/XL2k?

--
Regards;
Rob
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Select the column, do data>text to columns and click Finish
> That's it. Trailing minuses become real negative numbers and regular
> positive numbers stay the same
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
> > I'd be interested to see how the text->column function would work in
> > this case, or any other simpler method for that matter. This is a
> > situation I run into daily dealing with files downloaded from the
> > mainframe that have trailing negative signs.
> >
> > --
> > Regards;
> > Rob

> > "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@direcway.com> wrote in message
> > > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:03:16 +0800, "crapit"
<littlecramp@yahoo.com>

> > whereby
> > it to a
> > > >

> > > If you have a later version of XL, you can use the Data/Text to
> > Columns wizard.
> > >

> > > --ron

0
NotLikely (282)
1/11/2004 6:43:53 PM
Nope, it was introduced with 2002.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> Peo;
> Can't get it to work so it means I'm missing something.
> Is this supposed to work w/XL2k?
>
> --
> Regards;
> Rob
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Select the column, do data>text to columns and click Finish
> > That's it. Trailing minuses become real negative numbers and regular
> > positive numbers stay the same
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >
> > "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
> > > I'd be interested to see how the text->column function would work in
> > > this case, or any other simpler method for that matter. This is a
> > > situation I run into daily dealing with files downloaded from the
> > > mainframe that have trailing negative signs.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards;
> > > Rob

> > > "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@direcway.com> wrote in message
> <littlecramp@yahoo.com>

> > > whereby
> convert
> > > it to a

> > > Columns wizard.

0
terre081 (3244)
1/11/2004 6:50:32 PM
Alas, always behind the times!

Thanks.

--
> Nope, it was introduced with 2002.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message
> > Peo;
> > Can't get it to work so it means I'm missing something.
> > Is this supposed to work w/XL2k?
> >
> > --
> > Regards;
> > Rob

> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > Select the column, do data>text to columns and click Finish
> > > That's it. Trailing minuses become real negative numbers and
regular
> > > positive numbers stay the same
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >
> > > "RWN" <NotLikely@mts.net> wrote in message

> > --
> > <littlecramp@yahoo.com>

> > convert

0
NotLikely (282)

TEXT = text

alignment controls on the form
I want to align controls and labels on the form in different place. The controls and labels are hand in hand. When I select controls and labels to move or alignment all comes together. Are there any way to align controls only or labels only? Your informaiton is greate appreciated, In the upper left hand corner of any selected control or label, there is a larger "handle" (black box for sizing or moving). If you click and drag that box, you will move the control or label without affecting the other one. If you want to completely separate them, select the label and "Cut&q...

Selecting text in a document

online form creation
What is the best recommended way for creating online forms on a web site. I would like the information to be retained in a db as well as having the option of email the completed online form to someone in our office. Running Server 2003 and iis6 http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/backend/databases/tutorials/tutorial3.html "Mark" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6E36CC0F-EC6B-44D3-83CC-584AF5FFE90D@microsoft.com... > What is the best recommended way for creating online forms on a web site. > I would like the information to be retained in a db as well...

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Hide and unhide a form
I have a form, frmStopDailyCounttest in which the user clicks the command button cmdAddstats, which, if there's a value being entered which duplicates something already in the table, then opens frmDuplicateValues. When frmDuplicateValues is opened, what can I do to hide the frmStopDailyCounttest, and when it's closed, how can I unhide it? "Nathan Wolfe" <NathanWolfe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFF20847-76DC-48BA-9C0F-4EFEEAF1B133@microsoft.com... >I have a form, frmStopDailyCounttest in which the user clicks the command > button cmdAdd...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Publish Form elements to web?
Is there a way to publish form objects to the web? Specifically, I have a slider (or scrollbar) in my Excel doc that works great _within_ Excel. However, when I publish it to the web, everything is there EXCEPT the slider. Thanks Scott ...

Invoice form make new page?
I have an Invoice form and I want to create a new empty invoice form on a new worksheet if the first one is full, keeping the first one as page 1 (worksheet1). I also want to transport the ordersum from page 1 to page 2 and place it in a chosen cell for calculating the total on page 2. The total to be displayed only on page 2. Maybe It can be done with a Macro and a button to choose new page if the first one is full. Solutions anyone? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You should have worksheet set up as a blank form to copy. You can the use a macro like this (you will ha...

Null in text box

How to auto fill fields on subform from data on main form?
To all, I have a Main form with multiple tabs, the form is for employee information, one of the tabs a has a subform where I'll record the names of the employees children if he/she has any. The subform will work if I make the datasheet use a lookup to the employee table, but then I have to select the employee each time I want to add a record in the children subform. I changed the children table to not use the lookup to clerks on the employee name. I had the subform working, (by working I mean, I manualy had to select the employee from the lookup) but I had the subform select the emplo...

Re: Using Text Styles

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

OWA Form registration problem
I've been trying to make a shared form registration for all users in a private store, for use in Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2003. I can create a registration (for a named cmd on urn:content-classes:folder) in: /exadmin/admin/<domain>/mbx/SystemMailbox{GUID}/##SchemaURI##/Default which does seem to be detected by all users in the same way a private registration would be, but I can't get it to actually invoke a form template (a simple HTML file) in a shared location so that all users can access it. For example, assuming server binding and exwform.dll: * Referencing a ...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

How to get the text of each selection?
Hi, Dear All We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection? Cheers! osen Sorry, it is not really possible. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424. The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FA...