sums across multiple workbooks

I have a workbook that has a list of dates in mmddyy form in a row on
a sheet (call it Batch), e.g.:

050108   050208   050508   050608   050708...

(The dates are not necessarily consecutive, nor do they follow any
mathematical formula. In actuality, I would have more than five dates,
although there would be no set number of dates.)

On another sheet (call it Tally), I summed up cells from other
workbooks whose filenames correspond with the list of dates from
Batch. These cells are referred to by their Names:

='050108.xlsm'!NameA + '050208.xlsm'!NameA + '050508.xlsm'!NameA +
'050608.xlsm'!NameA + '050708.xlsm'!NameA...

What I would like to do is come up with a macro that would automate
the summing process. In other words, start out with a reference to a
generic file name (that doesn't actually exist) like 'DATE.xlsm'!
NameA, then run a macro that would loop replacing DATE with a date
from the row in Batch, and adding up all the values in the process.

(The values referred to by NameA all reside in the same cell on a
sheet named Tally in their respective files, but since I'm using Names
with a Workbook scope that shouldn't matter...right?)

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How to perform sum sum sum...

Summing up user defined results

Share Workbooks and Comments #2
Can anyone help me with this one... I have a simple spreadsheet which is shared and resides on a server. Apprx 6 people access and modify the sheet and save their modifications back to the server. No 2 people ever change the same cell so there are never any conflicts. The problem I have is that often the comments in a cell do not upload to the server. The user is unaware of this util he closes and re-opens the workbook to find that all of his changes have been saved but none of his comments. I have been getting the users to make their own copy at the end of the day and if they e-mail that c...

sum subform to form

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Deleting multiple rows from value list
Is there a way to delete multiple rows in a value list for a Text column? I have over 200 rows out of a value list that are duplicates that I need to delete. I can delete them row by row but I'd like to click on the 1st row and shift click on the last row that needs to deleted. Is this possible? Thanks in advance (from a Project newbie) Yes. Select then click on the cut icon. Try it. -Jack Dahlgren "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6596A51E-9C60-46A4-B9AB-AAB335A92906@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to delete multiple ro...

HOW DO i SYNCHRONIZE MULTIPLE WORKSHEETS IN EXCEL?
I have 7 worksheets in a workbook. all the worksheets have a lastname, firstname, employee ID in the A,B,C columns of every worksheet. I need to synchronize the worksheets so that when I click on an employee name in any worksheet and select a different worksheet I see the same row as the original employee name. try this by right click on excel icon in upper left of workbook(next to FILE)>insert this. However, it will not fire until you goto the next worksheet. Private Sub Workbook_SheetDeactivate(ByVal Sh As Object) Sheets.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Select ActiveSheet.Select -- Don ...

Can't open workbook in excel 64 bit 2010
I made a xlsm file that allows me to grab charts from excel pages and save them as pictures in folder or on an ftp server. It work just fine in 2007 and in 2010 32 bit. However, in Excel 2010 64 bit it does not work. As it will not open the workbook it keeps displaying the erro cannot find workbook. I am having this problem in several different macros. I have researsched everywhere to find out what piece of code I am not updating. The two macros I use on this particular workbook are attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated. see subsequent 3 post do to posting size ...

Synchronise Calendar items across multiple domains
Can Canlendar items be synchronised across multiple domains in an MS Exchange forest? Thanks in advance ...

chart data from same cell on multiple sheets
how can i chart data from the same cell on multiple sheets? when i enter sheet1:sheet5!a5 i get a invalid reference error. The values for a chartseries must all come from a single chart. You need to create a summary range on a worksheet to hold the values. This page has a few hints: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ drhamann wrote: > how can i chart data from the same cell on multiple sheets? when i enter >...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Multiple criteria VLOOKUP
Hi, I have a seven column dataset (A1:G2000) and I want to lookup a value based on 3 criteria: one for each of the 1st three columns, so where the value in column A = X, column B = Y, column C = Z, with XYZ being three criteria defined by three other cells. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to figure out how to do it without creating a helper column where columns A,B and C are concatenated, and using the concatenating field as a lookup key. Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks....Jason Array formula =3DINDEX(D1:D10,MATCH("x"&"y"&...

Picking contacts from multiple users
Hi SBS 2003/Exchange 2003 with outlook 2003/2007 clients. Periodically I need to extract contacts our of multiple users' contacts and de-duplicate them into a final list. What is the mechanism I can use to achieve this? Thanks Regards You can import everything into an Excel or Access database and filter from there, or copy everything into a new Contacts folder in Outlook and use a duplicate remover tool. See http://howto-outlook.com/tag/duplicate-removers -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, H...

mail delivery for multiple email domains
Am running Exch 2003, on Win2003 server, AD etc. We have one AD forrest and one front end Exch 2003 server for OWA and one back end Exch 2003 server for Mailboxes. We have mail coming in for serveral email domains, all MX records pointing to the same Exhch server. @domain1.com, @domain2.com, etc. We have just added another email domain for our new phone system...@phonesys.domain1.com. This server is on an internal subnet and runs it's own proprietary smtp server. It will automatically route incoming emails to call groups (much like ACD phone systems). We have a recipient polic...

How do I create this type of workbook?
I need to create an excel spreadsheet but not sure how to achieve it. (this is for commission payout) On sheet 1 starting lefthand side is "name" next column would be "client" next "PB" next "Paid Date" then "Outstanding" The data would never be deleted and entries would just keep going down the page, would be possible when I click on the "name" PD and Outstanding could be linked to sheet2. Any help on this would be great Thanks Tony Hi Tony Why carry data to another sheet? You might be able to achieve what you want by filt...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

Printing Multiple copies
Hello, How can I instruct the printer to cache my pages and print multiple copies of them, rather than send the same information over and over to print multiple copies? I am forgoing the MFC Printing Architecture due to some specific printing issues. and using the following: Logic in my OnPrint: for(i = 0; i < dlg.GetCopies(); i++) { DrawStuff(&dcPrinter); //DrawStuff() does some logic than calls OnDraw() } When I print ONE page of my graphics to the printer, my app sends out 5MBs of info. When I print TWO pages, it sends out 10MBs of info. (Double) I need to sen...

Print the word 'draft' across worksheet
Is it posible to print the word 'draft' across excel worksheet. Ken wrote > Is it posible to print the word 'draft' across excel > worksheet. > There has been a convoluted (IMO) method using WordArt in a Header I've seen mentioned here lately. I never could figure out how to get it to work. Then looked at my printer's Properties dialog, and it was included there. You may want to look here first to see if it's available: File|Page Setup|Page tab|Options button|Watermark tab Note it won't show until page is actually printed. -- David As ...

Scheduling workbook
Hello all, I have been asked to help come up with a simple workbook to help with scheduling my section at work. Here is what I got so far Sheet One = Schedule with the following columns <WeekDay><Date><Employee><Hours><Location><Week><Type><Assignment><ShiftID> Sheet Two = Time Off with the following columns <Employee><Date><AbsenceType><Approved><ApprovedBy> Here's what I'm trying to do. 1) When a Employee is entered into sheet one, check sheet to for time off, if there is time off text colour ...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

Summary worksheet within a workbook
I'm sure this is an easy formula, but I need some help.... I have a workbook where a tab is added with each day's activity. I'm looking to add a summary page that will pick up the data from all tabs starting on line 6 of each tab (including additional tabs that may be added). Any suggestions? Thanks You'll want to look into 3D functions, assuming you're wanting to gather sums/counts of data. -- Best Regards, Luke M "nitengale" <nitengale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880943E9-0425-49FF-86F1-7CBF00A82BC0@microso...