sum formula

good day!
i copied a table from  a html and paste to excel2000
 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the
number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this
formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))}
but the result was #VALUE!.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi!

> i copied a table from  a html

Chances are the "space" is really a char(160)   space.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),""))

Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then
use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).

I posted this last night:

Here are some things to try:

Select the range of cells that contain the numbers.
Goto Data>Text to Columns
Select Fixed width
Click Next, Next, Finish

If the "spaces" were standard char 32 spaces this should remove them and
convert the values to numbers.

If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.

Select the range of numbers
Goto Edit>Replace
Find what: ALT 0160 (hold down the ALT key and using the numeric keypad type
0160)
Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
Replace All

Biff

"jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> good day!
> i copied a table from  a html and paste to excel2000
> i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the
> number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this
> formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))}
> but the result was #VALUE!.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
5/11/2006 4:06:06 AM
Since you enclosed you example formula in curly brackets, I assume you
realize that this is an *array* formula.

See if this *array* formula works:

=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")))

--
HTH,

RD

"jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> good day!
> i copied a table from  a html and paste to excel2000
>  i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the
> number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this
> formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))}
> but the result was #VALUE!.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/11/2006 4:08:06 AM
<<<"If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.">>>

TTC *will* work just as well.

Select data, then:
<Data> <Text To Columns> <Delimited> <Next>
Click "other" and in the next box type:
<Alt>0160
(of course, nothing is visible)
Then <Finish>
--
Regards,

RD

"Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> > i copied a table from  a html
>
> Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space.
>
> Try this:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),""))
>
> Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and
then
> use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).
>
> I posted this last night:
>
> Here are some things to try:
>
> Select the range of cells that contain the numbers.
> Goto Data>Text to Columns
> Select Fixed width
> Click Next, Next, Finish
>
> If the "spaces" were standard char 32 spaces this should remove them and
> convert the values to numbers.
>
> If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.
>
> Select the range of numbers
> Goto Edit>Replace
> Find what: ALT 0160 (hold down the ALT key and using the numeric keypad
type
> 0160)
> Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
> Replace All
>
> Biff
>
> "jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > good day!
> > i copied a table from  a html and paste to excel2000
> > i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the
> > number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try
this
> > formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))}
> > but the result was #VALUE!.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/11/2006 4:21:30 AM
Of course it does. Don't know what I was thinking.

Maybe I was referring to being able to just click straight through.

BTW, I just realized that neither of our formulas/formulae <g> work if there
are empty cells in the range. Then I started tinkering and thinking of
scenarios where some cells may be real numbers without 160's and some cells
may be text without 160's and empty cells and..................argh!

I think the OP should just clean the data range and use a simple =SUM( ).

Biff

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> <<<"If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.">>>
>
> TTC *will* work just as well.
>
> Select data, then:
> <Data> <Text To Columns> <Delimited> <Next>
> Click "other" and in the next box type:
> <Alt>0160
> (of course, nothing is visible)
> Then <Finish>
> --
> Regards,
>
> RD

> "Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> > i copied a table from  a html
>>
>> Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space.
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),""))
>>
>> Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and
> then
>> use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).
>>
>> I posted this last night:
>>
>> Here are some things to try:
>>
>> Select the range of cells that contain the numbers.
>> Goto Data>Text to Columns
>> Select Fixed width
>> Click Next, Next, Finish
>>
>> If the "spaces" were standard char 32 spaces this should remove them and
>> convert the values to numbers.
>>
>> If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.
>>
>> Select the range of numbers
>> Goto Edit>Replace
>> Find what: ALT 0160 (hold down the ALT key and using the numeric keypad
> type
>> 0160)
>> Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
>> Replace All
>>
>> Biff
>>
>> "jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > good day!
>> > i copied a table from  a html and paste to excel2000
>> > i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the
>> > number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try
> this
>> > formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))}
>> > but the result was #VALUE!.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
5/11/2006 5:57:27 AM
But didn't you just say:

<<<"Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and
then
use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).">>>

Which is really what I thought your whole idea was, in the first
(second?<bg>)place, behind using TTC anyway, which I agree, is the best
approach in this whole, entire thread.<g>

--

> Of course it does. Don't know what I was thinking.
>
> Maybe I was referring to being able to just click straight through.
>
> BTW, I just realized that neither of our formulas/formulae <g> work if
there
> are empty cells in the range. Then I started tinkering and thinking of
> scenarios where some cells may be real numbers without 160's and some
cells
> may be text without 160's and empty cells and..................argh!
>
> I think the OP should just clean the data range and use a simple =SUM( ).
>
> Biff
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > <<<"If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.">>>
> >
> > TTC *will* work just as well.
> >
> > Select data, then:
> > <Data> <Text To Columns> <Delimited> <Next>
> > Click "other" and in the next box type:
> > <Alt>0160
> > (of course, nothing is visible)
> > Then <Finish>
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > RD

-
> > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-

> > "Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi!

> >> Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space.
> >>
> >> Try this:
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),""))
> >>
> >> Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and
> > then
> >> use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).
> >>
> >> I posted this last night:
> >>
> >> Here are some things to try:
> >>
> >> Select the range of cells that contain the numbers.
> >> Goto Data>Text to Columns
> >> Select Fixed width
> >> Click Next, Next, Finish
> >>
> >> If the "spaces" were standard char 32 spaces this should remove them
and
> >> convert the values to numbers.
> >>
> >> If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.
> >>
> >> Select the range of numbers
> >> Goto Edit>Replace
> >> Find what: ALT 0160 (hold down the ALT key and using the numeric keypad
> > type
> >> 0160)
> >> Replace with: nothing, leave this empty
> >> Replace All
> >>
> >> Biff
> >>
> >> "jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > this

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
5/11/2006 8:26:50 AM
thanks!!!

> But didn't you just say:
>
> <<<"Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and
> then
> use a simple =SUM(B5:B10).">>>
>
> Which is really what I thought your whole idea was, in the first
> (second?<bg>)place, behind using TTC anyway, which I agree, is the best
> approach in this whole, entire thread.<g>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> RD

-
-
> "Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Of course it does. Don't know what I was thinking.
> >
> > Maybe I was referring to being able to just click straight through.
> >
> > BTW, I just realized that neither of our formulas/formulae <g> work if
> there
> > are empty cells in the range. Then I started tinkering and thinking of
> > scenarios where some cells may be real numbers without 160's and some
> cells
> > may be text without 160's and empty cells and..................argh!
> >
> > I think the OP should just clean the data range and use a simple
=SUM( ).

> > Biff
> >
> > "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > > <<<"If the "spaces" are char 160 (html nbsp;) T to C won't work.">>>
> > >
> > > TTC *will* work just as well.
> > >
> > > Select data, then:
> > > <Data> <Text To Columns> <Delimited> <Next>
> > > Click "other" and in the next box type:
> > > <Alt>0160
> > > (of course, nothing is visible)
> > > Then <Finish>
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > RD

> -
> > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
benefit
> !

> -
> > >
> > > "Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > then

> and

> > > type

> the
> > > this

Excel2007 Replace formulas with {=#Value!} when saving file
The file is in Excel 2003 (created in Excell 2003) format. "FileName [Compatibility Mode] ..." displayed on title bar when loaded in Excell 2007. There are several worksheets in the workbook with array formulas referring to other worksheet. When saving the file a message pops up saying "saving this file in 2003 format will lose information, formulas will be converted to {=#Value!} as the 2003 format cannot handle the quatity of formulas in this workbook". If you select "Continue" that is exactly what happens: poof, most of your array formulas are replaced. ...

How to perform sum sum sum...

Summing up user defined results

Date formulas
Hi, I'm doing a timesheet. The month begin on the 21 and end on 20th of each month (don't ask). It'easy to set a listmenu to choose the month, have the first day to start with the 21, having 31 line with =1+precedente line. But for the three last line, idon't know how to have it to stop displaying dates after the 20th, for Febuary and the other 30 days months. An idea anyone? thank In A2: =IF(A1="","",IF(MONTH(A1+1)=MONTH(A1),A1+1,"")) Copy down as far as needed -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel &q...

sum subform to form

formulas #7
where can i find a list of commonly used formulas? HELP -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D11A92AB-6328-4E15-8CAF-E2420E2D122F@microsoft.com... > where can i find a list of commonly used formulas? Hi Pauline, If you click on the "Paste Function" [fx] probably also called the Function wizard you will see lists of functions. You can then look them up in HELP like Don suggested. A spread sheet that gives a list of functions and a link to see examples for that function ca...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Data entry & Formula in same cell
Is it possible to have a value entered into the same cell that the formula resides. For example... in cell A1 you enter 1 (for 1 foot)and this same cell calulates how many inches (A1 equals 12) One addition question is there a way to have a cell round up to the nearest even number? Thank you so much for your help. Hi Bridge 1. without VBA code it is not possible to enter a value and a formula at the same time into one cell. 2. If you number is stored in A1 use the formula =EVEN(A1) HTH Frank Bridge wrote: > Is it possible to have a value entered into the same cell > that the for...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Quick formula help please
Have I missed something here? =IF(E13>0,"early",E13<0,"late") Cheers!! =IF(E13>0,"Early",if(E13=0,"","late") "Norm" wrote: > Have I missed something here? > =IF(E13>0,"early",E13<0,"late") > > Cheers!! Thanks, E13 is a time value.. if E13 has a value of 12:30 and early is before 12:00 and late is after 12:45 and 12:00 to 12:45 is On Time how would I formula this? Cheers!! "Norm" wrote: > Have I missed something here? > =IF(E13>0,"...

How do I create a formula?
Hi, I need a formula or solution to capture information on a separate worksheet within my workbook. If it is possible, I would like to have a page that auto populates only the questions on a previous page that are checked in the forms checkbox in the column next to that question. This is hard to explain but I think there is a solution for it. Example worksheet 1 - column a has the question column b includes boxes from the forms field that are checked if they are items the be reviewed by the team. I would like all of the questions that are checked to auto populate on a separate worksheet....

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

sort data without formulas in other cells changing?
Hi, Can someone please help? I've got quite a lot of data that I want to sort by the persons date of birth, but because I have cells with formula in it (this works out the persons age) the sort function is changing the formulas so the formulas no longer work becuase it changes the cell where it is getting the data from. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be fixed?? Thanks! I bet you have formulas that point directly at other cells in another worksheet: =sheet2!b3 If you do, you may want to see if you can redesign your worksheet so that you can use some key column (name/i...

Offset Formula Query
I am using an offset formula to bring back data. I am trying to bring back the cell next to the one that has a label that matches the file name e.g. the file name is Place and then column a contains a list of places and column b contains text about those places. I am using the following formula: =OFFSET(Data!A15,MATCH(MID(CELL("filename"),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))+1, SEARCH("]",CELL("filename"))-SEARCH("[",CELL("filename"))-5),Data!$A$15:Data!$A$37,0),1) Where Data! refers to the sheet which contains the data and t...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

Formula for a range of percentages
Sorry, some of the posts mention this, but I do not know enough to figure it out. I am a teacher and I am trying to collect some data. Please help. I need a formula to count the number of grades that are greater than 74% and less than 85% in the cell range of H3:H109. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there's another way, but try this: =COUNT(H3:H109)-COUNTIF(H3:H109,"<=.74")-COUNTIF(H3:H109,">=.85") "Tkshowers" wrote: > Sorry, some of the posts mention this, but I do not know enough to figure it > out. I am a teacher...

Price Comparison formula
Acme XXX Price OOO Price Best Price $46.21 $49.95 $46.21 I am looking to create a formula that will compare the three prices listed and enter the lowest price header into the "best price" column. Hi, =MIN(B6:D6) change range to fit your needs if this helps please click yes thanks "TJC" wrote: > Acme XXX Price OOO Price Best Price > $46.21 $49.95 $46.21 > > I am looking to create a formula that will compare the three prices listed > and enter the lowest price header into the "best price" column. &...

Excel Formula #8
I currently have a spreadsheet set up to record staff holidays or sickness. But i would like the column AG to total how many times the letter S appears in any of 31 cells from colums B to AF. Each cell may have either nothing entered into it or S or H. Thanks for any help Hi Sharon Try =COUNTIF(B2:AF2,"S") -- Regards Roger Govier "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:399B5039-CAC0-4428-BBB9-18C2C860E564@microsoft.com... >I currently have a spreadsheet set up to record staff holidays or >sickness. > But i would like ...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

castom formula
I have to compare % of sales and i would like to be able to higlight in red the one below a certan pre selected %. if in cell 1a i have the percentage that is generated by other formulas how can i compare the others to that particular one (that constantly changes..) and higlight in red the ones below it? Thanks for any help that you can send me! Use conditional formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) with a formula of say =A2<$A$1 -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E756DBD5-8BEA-44C8-...

Paste damages formula in autofilter #2
Formula is merely an if if(B2 > 0,1,0) could also probably use countif nb: I can't use a summation here as some of my macro's use differen filters in combination with subtotal and sums alread -- shaw ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shawb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1420 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26268 Hi if this formula is ion column C (cell C2) try: =IF(OFFSET(C2,0,-1)>0,1,0) or --(OFFSET(C2,0,-1)>0) But I'm quite sure you could use a ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...