sum/count in a pivot table formula

Is it possible to create a PivotTable formula that divides the sum of one
field by the count of another (i.e. divide Sales by the number of Invoices)?
I have other PivotTables where I put a dummy column in the data range that
allows me to get a "count", but this table is linked via ODBC and I would
like to do this automatically, not have to manually insert a count column
next to the ODBC data.  I have been researching this, but everytime I create
a PivotTable formula, it sets it to SUM and does not allow that to be
changed.

v. XL XP
WIN2K

thanks,

ryanb.

0
ryanb
1/22/2004 6:03:19 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you have 150 invoices for "x" company and a total of that would be 11,250
now you drag the invoices to the row field, then drag invoices to data field
and get count of invoices and drag sales to data and get sum of sales. OK
now you right click somewhere in the sum fields and select field settings
and select average (or you can double click the sum of sales in the layout
and select average)? Or is it something I am missing?

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ryanb." <rblazeiN0!!!@SPAMidimn.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to create a PivotTable formula that divides the sum of one
> field by the count of another (i.e. divide Sales by the number of
Invoices)?
> I have other PivotTables where I put a dummy column in the data range that
> allows me to get a "count", but this table is linked via ODBC and I would
> like to do this automatically, not have to manually insert a count column
> next to the ODBC data.  I have been researching this, but everytime I
create
> a PivotTable formula, it sets it to SUM and does not allow that to be
> changed.
>
> v. XL XP
> WIN2K
>
> thanks,
>
> ryanb.

0
terre08 (1112)
1/22/2004 6:53:32 PM
I was wondering if you can do it via a calculated field because the all
functions except Sum are greyed out (no Count, no Avg, etc)?  So then I
tried to do a calculated field and, that too, is greyed out (except for
Sum).  It does this whenever I link directly to the data (and do not import
it into excel.  Maybe it is our accounting package?

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvp.org> wrote in message
> If you have 150 invoices for "x" company and a total of that would be
11,250
> now you drag the invoices to the row field, then drag invoices to data
field
> and get count of invoices and drag sales to data and get sum of sales. OK
> now you right click somewhere in the sum fields and select field settings
> and select average (or you can double click the sum of sales in the layout
> and select average)? Or is it something I am missing?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "ryanb." <rblazeiN0!!!@SPAMidimn.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to create a PivotTable formula that divides the sum of
one
> > field by the count of another (i.e. divide Sales by the number of
> Invoices)?
> > I have other PivotTables where I put a dummy column in the data range
that
> > allows me to get a "count", but this table is linked via ODBC and I
would
> > like to do this automatically, not have to manually insert a count
column
> > next to the ODBC data.  I have been researching this, but everytime I
> create
> > a PivotTable formula, it sets it to SUM and does not allow that to be
> > changed.
> >
> > v. XL XP
> > WIN2K
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > ryanb.

0
ryanb

Excel2007 Replace formulas with {=#Value!} when saving file
The file is in Excel 2003 (created in Excell 2003) format. "FileName [Compatibility Mode] ..." displayed on title bar when loaded in Excell 2007. There are several worksheets in the workbook with array formulas referring to other worksheet. When saving the file a message pops up saying "saving this file in 2003 format will lose information, formulas will be converted to {=#Value!} as the 2003 format cannot handle the quatity of formulas in this workbook". If you select "Continue" that is exactly what happens: poof, most of your array formulas are replaced. ...

How to perform sum sum sum...

Date-range specific report with counted results of combo box selections
Hi there, I'm a novice with Access, but am currently setting up a patient database for an NGO in India that I'm volunteering with. The primary reason for the database is to collect statistics quarterly. It is a simple database with one table that collects patient data from simple forms with some fields having combo boxes. Ultimately I want to generate reports that will show a summary of 'counts' of various fields for a given period. For example: In the table I have a combo box for where the person came from, with several options including - "Pick up Y. Bazar", &quo...

Summing up user defined results

sum subform to form

Count letters
Hello, In the range of A1-K1, I have letters A, B, C, D, F in the cells and I need to count how many A, and B, and C, … are available? How can I do this? Thanks =COUNTIF(A1:K1,"A") "JIM.H." wrote: > Hello, > > In the range of A1-K1, I have letters A, B, C, D, F in the cells and I need > to count how many A, and B, and C, … are available? > How can I do this? > Thanks > Thanks for reply. I actually need to count A, A-, B, B-, I seems when it counts A, it includes A- too. How can I avoid it? "JMB" wrote: > =COUNTIF(A1:K1,"A&...

Creating a Pivot Table
I want to create a pivot table. I have a field named 'Description'. There are various machines within. I would like to have a chart that tells me how many P2 266s that I have, how many, P3 500s.......etc. Unfortunately, I cannot find my answer when I go to the HELP menu of MS Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. Larry -- lkw441 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ lkw441's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2622 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37684...

formulas #7
where can i find a list of commonly used formulas? HELP -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Pauline" <Pauline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D11A92AB-6328-4E15-8CAF-E2420E2D122F@microsoft.com... > where can i find a list of commonly used formulas? Hi Pauline, If you click on the "Paste Function" [fx] probably also called the Function wizard you will see lists of functions. You can then look them up in HELP like Don suggested. A spread sheet that gives a list of functions and a link to see examples for that function ca...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Pivot Table Problem #3
I have a pivot form in Excel 2000 that I would like to look like this monday tuesday wednesday Tota Sales 20.00 23.00 34.00 77.0 Tax 3.00 6.00 9.00 18.0 instead it looks like thi monday tuesday wednesday Tota Sales 1 1 1 Tax 1 1 1 I want the data field to display the info as it was entered by the user not give me a sum of the field, or a count of the field.. The data source is from a...

help converting table structure
hi - i'm a teacher and am after some help changing the structure of a large table. i am given every few weeks an excel table with the structure Columns: Admin RedMon RedTue RedWed RedThu RedFri BluMon BluTue BluWed BluThu BluFri The Admin is a number assigned to each pupil in the school (1400 on role) In the RedMon, RedTue etc columns is a room number. I could do with the structure of the table being changed to the following Admin Cycle (Red/Blue) Day Room So that each pupil will now have 10 entries (one for each day of the 2 week cycle) ...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Can DoCmd.TransferDatabase be used to move table to BE
Hi O' Wonderous gurus, Can DoCmd.TransferDatabase move a table from the Front End to the Back End? I've tried the following syntax without success. A msgbox shows the strBackendPath to be correct. DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "Microsoft Access", strBackendPath, acTable, "tblNewTemplate", strNewTbl I'm experimenting with a few things & if I make a small form that I can quickly import into any database I'm developing which has the ability to transfer tables from the front end to the back end & also delete tables then it will b...

How do I create a formula?
Hi, I need a formula or solution to capture information on a separate worksheet within my workbook. If it is possible, I would like to have a page that auto populates only the questions on a previous page that are checked in the forms checkbox in the column next to that question. This is hard to explain but I think there is a solution for it. Example worksheet 1 - column a has the question column b includes boxes from the forms field that are checked if they are items the be reviewed by the team. I would like all of the questions that are checked to auto populate on a separate worksheet....

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Price Comparison formula
Acme XXX Price OOO Price Best Price $46.21 $49.95 $46.21 I am looking to create a formula that will compare the three prices listed and enter the lowest price header into the "best price" column. Hi, =MIN(B6:D6) change range to fit your needs if this helps please click yes thanks "TJC" wrote: > Acme XXX Price OOO Price Best Price > $46.21 $49.95 $46.21 > > I am looking to create a formula that will compare the three prices listed > and enter the lowest price header into the "best price" column. &...

pivot table form
i have access 2007 and have created a pivot table form. it works fine for me. the users are using access runtime and when they go to open the form, it displays in data view mode. there doesnt seem to be an option to change to pivot table view. is there a way around this so the users can view the pivot table. thanks ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

character size in pivot table cell
present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. How to increase to an assigned no > 255? AFAIK, there's no way to adjust this limit. wozart wrote: > present no of char in pivot table cell is <=255. > How to increase to an assigned no > 255? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

Counting Weeks or Days
How can I enter two dates and have Excel calculate the number of weeks or days between them? Thanks for any help. Gene Begin date in A1, end date in B1........... this will give you days difference (format cell for general) =B1-A1 and this will give you weeks.......... =(B1-A1)/7 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Kobra" <kobra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FoCdndx0PsjVCzbfRVn-vQ@comcast.com... > How can I enter two dates and have Excel calculate the number of weeks or > days between them? > > Thanks for any help. > > Gene > > Chuck wrote &l...