Sum A Named Range Across Multiple Columns

Here's another fun one that's sucked up days of my life with no
progress.

I have groups of columns representing the days of the week where
numbers representing amount of work done (just simple whole number
quantities) go. I have every other column named as Budget for the
budget of work to be done, and every other column beside those named
Actual, for actual work done.

So basically on this worksheet, columns A, C, E, G, I, K, etc... all
represent the named range Budget
(=Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet2!$C:$C,Sheet2!$E:$E, etc. �), and columns B, D, F,
H, J represent the range Actual
(=Sheet2!$B:$B,Sheet2!$D:$D,Sheet2!$F:$F, etc. �). I want a separate
cell located elsewhere to sum up all the quantities in the Actual
columns, and another cell to separately sum up all the quantities for
the Budget columns. The trick to this, though, is I need only the
quantities summed up to be for the specific row of that sum
calculation.

That might not make the most sense so I�ll break it down again. I need
to sum all the quantities only in the columns labeled Actual for each
single row. It probably needs to a dynamic range/reference that
continues expanding to the right as long as there is a number value,
since the length of the sum calculations (i.e., number of days
involved) is open-ended.

I�ve tried combining a dynamic named range using the OFFSET command
with variations of SUMIF and SUMPRODUCT formulas and cannot get the
concept to work. I�ve also tried using a standard formula to sum up
every other column [ SUMPRODUCT(MOD(COLUMN(1:1),2)*1:1) ], which is
more what I need since the range of columns is indefinite, but the
problem there is I can�t get that formula to start calculating from the
middle of the sheet. It starts at the first column, summing them all,
and in actuality I need to start this formula around Column O or P,
because of preceding data and calculations. And the SUMIF formula
attempts I�ve made always sum up everything in the entire column and I
need to keep it contained to values just along the same row.

Any suggestions and assistance are always greatly appreciated! Thanks
in advance to all helping out!

--
centerNegative
centerNegative's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24921

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The sum of budget for row 1 would be

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(1:1),2)=1),1:1)

the actuals would be

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(1:1),2)=0),1:1)

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"centerNegative"
<centerNegative.21jq5m_1137110101.1651@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:centerNegative.21jq5m_1137110101.1651@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Here's another fun one that's sucked up days of my life with no
> progress.
>
> I have groups of columns representing the days of the week where
> numbers representing amount of work done (just simple whole number
> quantities) go. I have every other column named as Budget for the
> budget of work to be done, and every other column beside those named
> Actual, for actual work done.
>
> So basically on this worksheet, columns A, C, E, G, I, K, etc... all
> represent the named range Budget
> (=Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet2!$C:$C,Sheet2!$E:$E, etc. .), and columns B, D, F,
> H, J represent the range Actual
> (=Sheet2!$B:$B,Sheet2!$D:$D,Sheet2!$F:$F, etc. .). I want a separate
> cell located elsewhere to sum up all the quantities in the Actual
> columns, and another cell to separately sum up all the quantities for
> the Budget columns. The trick to this, though, is I need only the
> quantities summed up to be for the specific row of that sum
> calculation.
>
> That might not make the most sense so I'll break it down again. I need
> to sum all the quantities only in the columns labeled Actual for each
> single row. It probably needs to a dynamic range/reference that
> continues expanding to the right as long as there is a number value,
> since the length of the sum calculations (i.e., number of days
> involved) is open-ended.
>
> I've tried combining a dynamic named range using the OFFSET command
> with variations of SUMIF and SUMPRODUCT formulas and cannot get the
> concept to work. I've also tried using a standard formula to sum up
> every other column [ SUMPRODUCT(MOD(COLUMN(1:1),2)*1:1) ], which is
> more what I need since the range of columns is indefinite, but the
> problem there is I can't get that formula to start calculating from the
> middle of the sheet. It starts at the first column, summing them all,
> and in actuality I need to start this formula around Column O or P,
> because of preceding data and calculations. And the SUMIF formula
> attempts I've made always sum up everything in the entire column and I
> need to keep it contained to values just along the same row.
>
> Any suggestions and assistance are always greatly appreciated! Thanks
> in advance to all helping out!
>

> --
> centerNegative
> centerNegative's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24921
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500898

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/13/2006 9:51:17 AM
Bob, that works perfectly. Thanks very much for the help

--
centerNegativ
centerNegative's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2492
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50089

Since you said that you want to start at Column O or P, just include those
in your formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(O1:AM1),2)=1)*O1:AM1)

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(P1:AL1),2)=0)*P1:AL1)

And of course, you can make these formulas as 'open-ended' as you wish, by
just expanding the ranges:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(P1:ES1),2)=1)*P1:ES1)

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(P1:ET1),2)=0)*P1:ET1)

--

HTH,

RD

[...]

ragdyer1 (4060)

In excel change color of a range of cells based on a cell value
Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells to change background color? Use the cell the box is linked to in your conditional formatting formula. If your box is tied to, say, A1, make sure the conditional formula is like: =$A$1="value" value is whatever will be selected in the box. Then set the background color. Squeaky "kwitt" wrote: > Based on a cell value from a drop down box, how can you make a range of cells > to change background color? ...

New Sheet Macro Name Creator
I'm working on a log of sorts that will constantly be gaining ne sheets. All the sheets (when blank) are based on a hidden sheet calle (in all my cleverness) BlankSheet. I have set up a small form on the main sheet (really it's only a singl cell and a button to activate the macro) so that I enter the name int the cell, click the button and it runs a macro that unhides BlankSheet copies it to the end (the end result is titled -BlankSheet (2)- ) th macro then copies the Value from the designated cell (cell C1 in m sheet) and pastes it as the name of the new sheet (the one title -BlankSh...

How to perform sum sum sum...

duplicated content-type name
We have a exchange 2000 server with sp3. Every time when I send a mail, the content-type name in header will be duplicated. Is there anyone can help me Thanks! ...

Summing up user defined results

Referencing a sheet by taking its name from a cell
I'm not even sure the title of this post is correct but it's as clear as I could make it! I'm creating a summary sheet of data from many other worksheets. The worksheet names are mmm-yy (e.g. Nov-07). The top row of the summary sheet will contain those same names, with the summary data in the column below. I'm trying to find a way to reference the correct sheet by utilising the name in the top row. Something like ='A2'!C7 , I suppose, but this particular attempt didn't work. Can someone help? Thanks! Paul Assuming that you have "Nov-07"(sheet name) in...

Hurry Up Now, Free Check Of $327 With Your Name.
Hurry Up, Free Check Of $327 With Your Name. Quickly open below website and click any one of the Red Color Text in the website and enter your payeename and address where to get your check. The secret website link is http://googleadsense-highpaying-keywords.blogspot.com/ ...

sum subform to form

How to get the column name a UDF is executing in as a default func
I have two tables and an UDF CREATE TABLE [dbo].[t1]( [t1_id] [int] , [t1_col_name] [nvarchar](50) ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE TABLE [dbo].[t2]( [t2_id] [int] NOT NULL, [t2_col_name] [nvarchar](50) NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] ALTER TABLE [dbo].[t2] ADD CONSTRAINT [DF_t2_t2_col_name] DEFAULT ([dbo].[calc1]()) FOR [t2_col_name] create function dbo.calc1() Returns int WITH EXECUTE AS CALLER AS BEGIN DECLARE @agg int DECLARE @searchval nvarchar(50) SET @searchval = [THISTABLE.COLUMN_NAME] SET @agg = (select COUNT(*) from t1 where t1_col_name ...

Deleting multiple rows from value list
Is there a way to delete multiple rows in a value list for a Text column? I have over 200 rows out of a value list that are duplicates that I need to delete. I can delete them row by row but I'd like to click on the 1st row and shift click on the last row that needs to deleted. Is this possible? Thanks in advance (from a Project newbie) Yes. Select then click on the cut icon. Try it. -Jack Dahlgren "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6596A51E-9C60-46A4-B9AB-AAB335A92906@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to delete multiple ro...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

Automatic filling of cells within a certain date range
Can someone please help, I have been stuck on this for the past two days... Column 'AB' has 'Start Date' and column 'AD' has 'Finish date' Row 19, cells 'AI' to 'DW' have the months written as 'J' 'F' 'M' 'A' etc.....from 2008 to 2015. I want to be able to enter a 'start date' in column 'AB' i.e. 1 January 2008 and a 'Finish date' in column 'AD' i.e. 1 April 2015. Then i would like the cells 'J - A' on row 19 to be filled with '1' in each month.... I...

using intersection of ranges
Need to specify the intersection of two named ranges, but require either one or both of them to be referenced to other cells. In other words, someone would enter the range which is one or both of the two, and I need the formula to look at that cell and use its name in the intersection argument. Any ideas? I have tried TEXT, but that doesn't seem to do it. Suppose the rangenames are rangeA and rangeB, and the names are in D2 and D3 =INDIRECT(D2) INDIRECT(D3) Note the spaces between the two functions; space is the intersection operator. Now you'll have to test for one or two...

Display name is wrong
Running Exchange 2003 on Small Business Server 2003; experience level is NOVICE. We just got a new ISP, so I went around and re-configured everyone's Outlook 2003 to point to the new place. Our Director sent a Test Message (here's the text in the4 body: "This is an e-mail message sent automatically by Microsoft Office Outlook's Account Manager while testing the settings for your POP3 account." to ensure everything was correct and saw the display name on the return test email -- it had a different name than his. His name is Felipe Chavez-Ramirez, but the display...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Multiple criteria VLOOKUP
Hi, I have a seven column dataset (A1:G2000) and I want to lookup a value based on 3 criteria: one for each of the 1st three columns, so where the value in column A = X, column B = Y, column C = Z, with XYZ being three criteria defined by three other cells. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to figure out how to do it without creating a helper column where columns A,B and C are concatenated, and using the concatenating field as a lookup key. Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks....Jason Array formula =3DINDEX(D1:D10,MATCH("x"&"y"&...

chart data from same cell on multiple sheets
how can i chart data from the same cell on multiple sheets? when i enter sheet1:sheet5!a5 i get a invalid reference error. The values for a chartseries must all come from a single chart. You need to create a summary range on a worksheet to hold the values. This page has a few hints: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ drhamann wrote: > how can i chart data from the same cell on multiple sheets? when i enter >...

Date ranges
Hi I have a list of predefined dates in column B in colum C formula to show todays date. (i.e. if today = 24-6-06) What I want is D1 to to show B2 (19-7-06) and D2 to show B1 (12-6-06) A B C D 1 1 12-6-06 =today() next date = 2 2 19-7-06 previous date = 3 3 24-8-06 4 4 30-9-06 Any help appreciated. Regards Paul T Paul T wrote: > I have a list of predefined dates in column B in colum C formula to show > todays date. (i.e. if today = 24-6-06) > What I want is D1 to to show B2 (19-7-06) an...

Capture Control Name Clicked
I am looking to sort a subform based on the column of data clicked. In the past, I have created a separate but nearly identical OnClick event for each label. In the interest of condensing code, since i have 25 columns, which may or maynot be shown depending on the SQL string built through code, and I don't want 25+ more Subs, all nearly identical... I would like to set the same function as the OnClick event of every label, and have the name of the label be passed to the function, from which I can get the column selected through a MID function. I can get this to work if I use Text B...

Importing decorated names
Is there any way to get the procedure address using GetProcAddress which is exported by __declspec(dllexport) not as extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) . I don't want to use full decorded name while loading function GetProcAddress .. My function returning a pointer to a C++ class. ...

Updating Names
Hi, I have several worksheets which contain the same names but different info. I want to be able to add and delete names in one source file which will update the other worksheets, sort in alphabetical order and keep the same data in all the worksheets linked to the right name. Thanks Hi BLM; Jan Karel Pieters's Name Manager add-in, freely downloadable at: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm Might well reduce a lot of the manipulation pain - and it is well worth having anyway! --- Regards, Norman "BLM" <BLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

A document with the name "*.xls " is already open ...etc
When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone know why I get this message. I like to solve problems not ignore them .............. Merci Gary First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe.....

Hyperlink to first blank cell in column?
(XL2007) Thanks to help from MVP Biff, I can return the row number of the first blank cell in a single-column named range using an array formula (http://tinyurl.com/qb689k). This is a dynamic range that will adjust as new items are added. I'm setting up a workbook in which I have a "Blank Master" sheet and a "Jobs List" sheet. The "Master" sheet will be copied and renamed for each month. I'd like to have a hyperlink on the "Master" sheet that will carry over to each new copied sheet that would take the user to the first blank cell in the JOB...