Subtotal doesn't update

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with subtotals on and we have a problem inserting
new rows. I thought that when a row was inserted above the subtotal
row, the subtotal would update automatically - but it doesn't.

Basically, we need to add news rows on a regular basis above the
subtotal row and update the subtotal.

This is what we want to happen -

Before

2 3 4
0 2 5
2 2 0
4 7 9 (Subtotal)

After

2 3 4
0 2 5
2 2 0
0 0 2 (new row)
4 7 11 (Subtotal)

Hope this makes sense! How can we get the subtotals to update each time
a new is inserted above them?

Kind regards,

Alison

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Alison,

=SUM(A1:A3) will do what you want except if you insert your row
above the row that contains the formula (i.e. in your example that would
be row 4).
As a workaround you could have a blank row between your data rows
and the formula row. (i.e. put your formula in A5 and select the blank
row 4 for inserting new rows)

HTH
Martin

0
mtmw (348)

Subtotals by page
Is there any way of getting excel to generate subtotals by page? these should update automatically when pagination changes. ...

Unable to connect online updates.
I just purchased Money 2005, the online download. I select my bank (Bank of America California), then click Next, and it waits... and waits... the indicator in the top right gets to about 30% after 5 minutes, then I get a "Page not found" error. What is going on? It's definately not my internet connection. I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Any suggestions would be appreciated. In microsoft.public.money, Mark wrote: >I just purchased Money 2005, the online download. I select my bank (Bank of >America California), then click Next, and it waits... and wa...

Updating
I have some text, written in Word 2007 which I change regularly. The same changings need to be made in a Publisher document. I have tried to copy the text into Publisher by Insert especially (?), but how do I update the main document in Publisher? -- Ebbesen, Middelfart ...

2008 YR Update (SP4 ) Error
-- Steve F ...

Errors updating a company
Hi there, We recently updated to Version 8.0 and one of our companies did not update. We have 2 companies...one which runs the Canadian Payroll and one that doesnt. When we used to log on to the company without the Canadian payroll installed we would receive errors about not being able to access the payroll tables..and not being registered for payroll in this company blah blah blah...we would ok the errors out..and we could then log in and have no other issues. So when updating recently ..the company with the Canadian Payroll updates perfectly...the company.without the payroll..err...

Updating Links within Workbook
Okay, so I've copied and pasted links within a large workbook (19MB), across several worksheets within the workbook. My pasted links are not updating whenever I change the values in the original cell. I press F9, nothing. Go up to calculate now, nothing. Close and re- open the file, nothing. The only thing that seems to work is to click in link cell (as if to edit it), and then press enter. This is really cumbersom for the 200+ cells that I would have to do that to. How can I make excel re- update ALL of the links and calculate ALL of the cells in a workbook (Excel 2002), re...

Updating a table in a Form
Hi all, I'm fairly new to Access. I'm using 2003. Here is my situation: I have 2 tables: public_po, and local_po. public_po is an ODBC source from our backend system that is not editable by me (nor do I want it to be). It has a unique id field "order_no" and several other fields that aren't important right now. local_po is a local mdb table I created, with fields I want to be able to input like "ship date", "confirm date", etc. It also has a unique id field "order_no" that I have linked to public_po in relationships with a RIGHT JOIN....

Filter Subtotal
Is it possible to filter out a subtotal row? If I have a matrix as follows, is there a way to remove the Subtotal3 row/line? Total Labor 75.00 Overhead 50.00 Subtotal1 125.00 Training 50.00 Travel 50.00 Subtotal2 100.00 G&A 75.00 Subtotal3 75.00 <<---remove? Total All 300.00 Hopefully this came out right, sorry if it did not. Is there a way to attach an image? You can do the row visibiliy to false, You need to have an appropriate expression set he...

Do Option Prices Update Online
Been having some problems using 2004 with my new ameritrade account and while I was able to get downlooad stock transactions to update (with some effort), I haven't been able to get option prices to update. Are they suppose to? In microsoft.public.money, Brian H wrote: > Been having some problems using 2004 with my new ameritrade account and while I was able to get downlooad stock transactions to update (with some effort), I haven't been able to get option prices to update. Are they suppose to? Note that for quotes download, the symbol must start with a period. For example, .M...

Updated Field...
If I have some text information in a cell and when that text changes, I want to a date to get updated to today's date, how would I do that? Example: A1 contains text that reads "123456890TEST" A2 is formatted as a date and if I changed the text above to "XYZ" A2 would change to 10.24.05 Think of it like tracking in a way... If something changes in Cell1, update Cell2 with today's date... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:A100" On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If No...

Update Query Problem 01-04-10
I have a continuous form with Filtered records. I want to update a single field for all filtered records showing. My code is updating the current record and not all filtered records. Any help appreciated. Private Sub Update_Click() On Error GoTo Update_Click_Err Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "UPDATE tblData SET tblData.ThreatStatus = 'Closed' WHERE (((tblData.ID)=[Forms].[frmManagebyThreat].[ID]))" DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL Update_Click_Exit: Exit Sub Update_Click_Err: MsgBox Err.description Resume Update_Click_Exit End Sub NEW...

Subtotals?
On the Account List page I wish there were sub-totals under Favorite Accounts and Other Accounts. Anyone know of a setting or hack to do this? Future functionality? ...

Updating With Mulitple Users
I am using access as an auxilary DB to our current business software. I pull information from our business software to Access via odbc and update a back end db table from the business software. My problem is I would like to update this table on a frequent basis (every 5 minutes). If I have my Access DB multi-user I do not want each session that is open to update the back end table. I have thought on creating a table that just holds the time and have that time kick off one pc to update my table (and the time), but that could mean that I have a pc updating a table that may not ...

Update Toolbar button
Env: WindowsXP, VC++6.00 On my CView-based app, there are some zoom buttons(on boolbar). Their IDs are ID_VIEW100, VIEW200, VIEW400,... Inside CMyView, I can control them as follows: void CMyView::OnViewScale(UINT nID) { if (m_uScaleID != nID) { m_uScaleID = nID; } } And change the buttons status as follows, void CMyView::OnUpdateViewScale(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->SetCheck(pCmdUI->m_nID == m_uScaleID); } I wonder how to update Toolbar button check status from a child dialog? That is how to call CMyView::OnUpdateViewScale() from a child dialog? TIA ou You dont call OnUpd...

opened Excel w/sheet from email attachment, updated, saved & cant
I emailed an Excel worksheet from my office to my home - opened it from my Outlook Express folder - updated file extensively - saved several times during the four hours I worked - closed & now can't find the updated file. I forgot I had opened it from the email and never saved it to my C drive. However, I saved it several times while I was working on it. Shouldn't the file in my email be the updated saved file? It's not and I can't find it anywhere. I believe this happened once before to me. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I've lost a lot of work if the file...

subtotal, match?
Morning all. I need to do a name check to match with a subtotal function. Is that possible? I was thinking that subtotal(Func_Num,match(....)) might handle it, but I don't see anything that'd allow for that in the list of function numbers for subtotal. My goal is to perform a subtotal type operation, to compare names in a field range from one worksheet to another. I'm already performing a subtotal operation on one field, and wanted to do an if test on the names that show up with each operation. With the false response, I'll then be changing the name eleme...

Re-ocurring bills update
In my previous version of money I could mark a re-ocurring bill updated by right clicking and selecting updated or simply by changing the amount to be paid. I use this so I could varify that I have approved or changed the amount due without having to refer back to my paper bill. I can't seem to do this in money 2005 deluxe. Any ideas? If you need to change the bill for all future amounts, then right clicking and selecting "edit series" should do it for you... -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...

open exe files and updating ppc
well i have problem open exe files is any way to work around ? i'm using ofice outlook 2003 and also whe i use the feature ce inbox transfer say the ce tinbox transfer will not work with this device i'm using a pocket pc 1910 fromp compaq is there any place to get more info or a wayt o fix this problem ? thx in advanced for your answers ...

Subtotaling a subtotaled spreadsheet
In excel before the 2003 edition I could subtotal a spreadsheet then subtotal again by a different column. It does not work now. All of the items are subtotaled but not in correct order. For example some of the totals calculate above the information not below. Please help! Hi Alane i use this feature extensively and have found no difference in its behaviour between any of the versions, however it is important that the data is sorted in the same categories and order that it is to be subtotalled, e.g. i have a worksheet that has region, state, department information on it and i want t...

Normal windows update
I keep getting error messages from my anti-virus software because: whenever the windows update software activates and I try to get updated I get the following message on your site: [Error number: 0x80070020] The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. It cannot update. Your help options are useless. I am no programmer. Your system cannot find the update page. I worked with one of your programmer assistants for a while. Nothing worked. I gave up. Put up the OLD system, ...

Update retirement accounts not working
I just started having a strange problem trying to update my retirement account vs. my quarterly statement. (More investing tasks...Update Retirement Account) I have done this dozens of times over the laste few years with no problems. Now, when I enter in all the summary data from my paper statement and click on Finish, Nothing happens, it gives no error and acts like it did the update, but nothing shows up in my register at all. It actually acts like I clicked on the postpone button, becase if I try and do it again, all the data I entered in is still in the input forms, but again not...

Excel subtotal
I have a large file with a layout (main area only) as follows: Name Expense ............. Brown, John $100 Brown, John $150 Brown, John $200 Doe, Jane $110 Brown, Jane $130 Brown, Jane $210 .. .. .. I need to subtotal each person's expense (names may be different each period I do this)and copy/export the expense items and subtotals for each person to a separate worksheet to be emailed to them. There may be 30 names and 2000 lines of data. Is there a way to autonomate this process (rather than subtalling then copying each person's items to a new worksh...

Install the corrective update for Internet Explorer
--ioxgjdwmtoicrdnc Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="mpbqztfn"; type="multipart/alternative" --mpbqztfn Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="cwjmmabuowvnuf" --cwjmmabuowvnuf Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect ...

removing subtotals
Sometimes when I add subtotals and then remove them the sheet still has the subtotal 1,2 columns on the left side of the sheet. How can I remove them. gls858 First, make sure you select the entire range (or whole worksheet) that has the subtotals. In face, I'd select all the cells and try removing them once more. But in xl2003, you can hide those outlining symbols via: tools|options|view Tab|uncheck Outline Symbols. gls858 wrote: > > Sometimes when I add subtotals and then remove them the sheet still has > the subtotal 1,2 columns on the left side of the sheet. > How can...

IMFv2 not updating
We have an SBS2003 with SP1 server, installed with Exchange SP2. IMFv1 was installed pior to SP2 but was uninstalled before updating. I have made the required registry key change. The server is using Microsoft Update. WSUS is not installed. There are no subfolders under MSCFv2 (although MSCFv1 still exists) Unfortunately Microsoft Update still doesn't offer the IMF updates & I hope I've checked all the previous suggestions - any further ideas? Thanks in advance, Edmund First thing is to make sure IMFv2 is enabled http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Intelligent-Message-Filter-...