strange symbol in cells �

Hope someone can help with this after downloading a small excel file from a
dealer site that is a genereated  report, I can download it as an excel
file, upon doing so and pasting it into my working sheet I end up this �
at the end of the text in every cell, and when it is removed some cells
change for example a cell which has a long number for a serial number will
shorten as well
where do I start
the excel version is 2000
blacklabhfxnospam@hotmail.com
remove no spam

0
Blacklab
6/7/2005 4:28:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Visio DFD symbol query?
Gredins, Im a student who using Visio to draw a set of DFD diagrams, I have opened a new file -> Software and Databses -> Data Flow Model Diagram OR file -> Flowcharts -> Data Flow Diagram but neither furniture/set of symbols quite look like the DFD's Ive seen in regular textbooks. I'm usign visio 2007 with no additional shapes or templates. To expand on this and to explain myself the data stores symbol does not look like the regular one which can be thought of as a square within a rectangle with the righthand side missing. Its either parellal lines top and bottom o...

how can i make paragraphs in side one cell in Excell?
Hi press ALT & ENTER when you want a new line Cheers JulieD "ashraf" <ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E508A2C8-CC79-4107-93EE-5D607A53E8BA@microsoft.com... > or, format cell / alignment / wrap text ...

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

How to calculate how many cells have a value of less than 3?
What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be anywhere from 1-10) and want to be able to easily get the total number of entries that are either 1,2, or 3. Thanks... =countif(a1:b99,"<=3") is one way. FISH wrote: > > What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a > range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? > > I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be any...

Excel macro to insert rows if a cell does not equal the value above that cell
I have a spreadsheet listing columns of information for many different people. If more than one row exists for the same person, I'd like to insert 2 rows after the row so that the group is separated from the next group. For example, here's how the data appears now: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 750.00 Smith 5 100.00 Thomas 9 900.00 Here's what I'd like it to look like after running the macro: LastName Account# Balance Martin 1 500.00 Martin 2 75...

Cell/Workbook Protection
Is there any way to overwrite password-protected cells/worksheets? There are a couple different people working on a spreadsheet, but the author can't remember the password for the protected cells. Or is there a way to disable the protection? Carrie, From a previous post by Norman Harker....... John <snip> Here's a standard collation of password recovery facilities. Please note that unauthorized use of password recovery techniques can breach software license agreements and leave you without otherwise available assistance and remedies. You may also be liable to being sued ...

Automatically changes cell to Arabic date!?!
I've come accross a problem with Excell 2002 runing SP2, if you type the following in a cell a3-5530 the cell will automatically be reformated in what looks like an Arabic date. Has anyone else seen this or know of any way to stop this happining?? Hi Dan, I get the same behaviour and cannot see any option setting to avoid it. So you are left with: a) typing an apostrophe before the value is entered. b) setting the format of the cell(s) to Type before entering the value Bernard "Dan" <demeade@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:079f01c388cc$87cbc450$a001280a@phx.gbl......

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

Names and numbers in different cells
I am trying to add the totals given in Columns C, E, G etc etc of each suburb listed in columns B,d,F etc etc. When the formula finds the total is also needs to give me the name in column 1 for that area. (Two areas given in example but not all week) Eg: Find "PNS Sound Hutt" in column B, & column D, add 2.0 (from column c) & (1 from column e) then show John. I need to know how often each person visits each suburb. Name Suburb No Suburb No A B C D E etc etc John MONDAY ...

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Number of characters in a cell
I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. =LEN(A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bonny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C900F604-3E15-4F40-A1A8-87259225042D@microsoft.com... > I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. ...

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

Highlight a Cell When Working in Another Cell
If I am working in, say, cell B5, is there a way I can have cell G5 highlighted? When I am inputting numbers into column B, there are instructions in column G that I would like to have highlighted so that the instructions for that particular row are easier to read. I can't think of a good way to do this. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks! Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target If .Column = 2 Then .Offset(0, 5).FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" Wi...

Shift + arrow to highlight and copy cells
Normally, I like to use the keystroke method of copying cells by copying a cell, then hold Shift down while I do the arrow key. (it's easier on my wrist than hold and dragging). But, for some reason, now when I hold the Shift and do the arrow, it is not moving. Anyone know what happened? -- -- BPod Never mind. I've got an answer now. Mike H. answered me in the General Excel questions. Way to go, Mike! -- BPod "podbay" wrote: > Normally, I like to use the keystroke method of copying cells by copying a > cell, then hold Shift down while I do the arrow key. (i...

Same symbol
I have two accounts with the same symbol. One is a standard IRA, and the other is a Roth. How can I create this in my portfolio to track both. Money will not let me use the same symbol. What can I do? Bruce. In microsoft.public.money, bulbrich wrote: >I have two accounts with the same symbol. One is a standard IRA, and the >other is a Roth. How can I create this in my portfolio to track both. Money >will not let me use the same symbol. What can I do? You got a message that a symbol is already in use? Create a security only once. Thereafter choose it from the drop-down list. I...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

Speak Cell command
Is it possible to get Excel 2007 speaking out a cell contend in a language other than English? Phonetically as usual: For example to “say” Good Morning in Japanese, try something like: O hey you gozaimasu -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200803 "renatoabc" wrote: > Is it possible to get Excel 2007 speaking out a cell contend in a language > other than English? ...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

why this strange result with vlookup
hi i have this formula in a cell =VLOOKUP(A3,'LookUp Data'!A2:O740,2,FALSE) but any time i pick a code from my list items in column A it gives #NA but as soon as i change to a different code it gives the name. any help why My best guess would be a data type mismatch. Looking up text in a column of numbers. When you change the value the type gets converted and the result is returned. Hard to say though based on yoru description. The ohter thig to look for might be blank characters padded at the end of the input. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Amin" wrot...

Detla symbol in code
Hi Group, I have a cell where I am trying to put in some text: ActiveCell.Offset(1, 5).Value = "7DayΔ" but I am unable to get the Δ character to work. Possibly I have to use unicode? Thanks, David Try this: Sub dk() MyText = "7DayD" Range("B2") = MyText Range("B2").Characters(5, 5).Font.Name = "Symbol" End Sub "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95D51594-C209-40B7-A613-9A5791FA8F4E@microsoft.com... > Hi Group, > > I have a cell where I am trying to put ...

How to "clone" or "duplicate" cells & their formulas...
Copy-Paste-Special lets you do some useful things in Excel. But there's no quick & easy way to "clone" a cell and make an exact duplicate of it. Often I do this either because a given cell is a good starting point for a different calculation. The workarounds work, but, like workarounds, they kinda stink. For example, you can edit the formula, put a quote in front of it & turn it into a string, then copy it to wherever you need it, and then finally edit it (and the original) back to formula. Or, you can use absolute references in the formula and then copy the formula....

Trimming a cell, remove "space character"
Hi, I've got empty space in my records (e.g. "1 300", "9 833" etc) and I thought a simple "find and replace" in tablesheet view would do the trick, but for some reason the FIND does not work (doesn't find a "space"). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure why the FIND doesn't work (I just put a space in the box). Cheers, Mikael "Mikael Lindqvist" wrote: > I've got empty space in my records (e.g. "1 300", "9 833" etc) and I > thought > a simple "find and replace"...

Shapes, Cells and Z-Order
I'm trying to pretty up a workbook by adding some shapes and I'm curious if there was a way to cause a cell (and it's contents and formatting) to appear above a shape. More specifically I'd like to add a sort of frame around a range with a color fill gradient and shadows but have the cells in the location appear above it. I'v fooled around with send to back on the shapes and different combinations of transparency and pattern settings but the shape always appears "on top" of the cells. Just curious if there was a way to do this? Jon Jon, You can't put any...

DestroyWindow ASSERT problem....strange, strange!
Hi I have derived a dialog-class in a DLL (shared MFC) I can construct an object of this class in my app, and when overloading DoModal() and adding an AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState( )); call, I can see the CMyDialog dialog. But here is the issue, I have a timer set for a certain time, it posts a message and the dialog has to be killed - so I use CDialog::OnCancel. Then DoModal calls DestroyWindow() - Here a copy of the m_hWnd is made in hWndOrig. #ifdef _DEBUG hWndOrig = m_hWnd; #endif Then m_hWnd gets set to Null by ::DestroyWndow (which calls OnNcDestroy). But later in Dest...