Strange Character

I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file.  The character appears
as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a manual
page break that I can find, edit and replace.

So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and
replace on it?

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bernie

0
iamnu (61)
4/15/2004 12:58:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny
characters.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

If you have to do this lots of times, I'd record a macro when you do an
Edit|Replace and modify it to do those funny characters:

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
        ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="", _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr

End Sub

Just keep adding those Hex codes you found using Chip's addin.

(I changed the funny characters to "".  You could use " " if you wanted a
space.)

========
With some of those funny characters (alt-enters or alt-0010), you can actually
use edit|replace.

Edit|replace
hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 (from the number keypad--not above
QWERTY).

It may look like nothing got entered in that little box, but try it.

And if this is an alt-enter, you may just want to change the text wrap.
Format|Cells|alignment tab.

It's a way of entering more than one line inside a cell.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Well, I downloaded the addin (pretty cool), and I see that the funny character in position
1 of cell A1 is Dec 012 and Hex 0C.

But that's as far as I get.  In your procedure cleanEmUp, I put 0C between the quote
marks after Replacement...that didn't work.

So I need some more help as to how to proceed.  This same character will appear many
times in many different files, so I need a way to automate deleting them, or replacing with
a space.

Thanks again,
Bernie

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:16:26 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny
> characters.
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm
>
> If you have to do this lots of times, I'd record a macro when you do an
> Edit|Replace and modify it to do those funny characters:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub cleanEmUp()
>
>     Dim myBadChars As Variant
>     Dim iCtr As Long
>
>     myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))
>
>     For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
>         ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="", _
>             LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
>     Next iCtr
>
> End Sub
>
> Just keep adding those Hex codes you found using Chip's addin.
>
> (I changed the funny characters to "".  You could use " " if you wanted a
> space.)
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> ========
> With some of those funny characters (alt-enters or alt-0010), you can actually
> use edit|replace.
>
> Edit|replace
> hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 (from the number keypad--not above
> QWERTY).
>
> It may look like nothing got entered in that little box, but try it.
>
> And if this is an alt-enter, you may just want to change the text wrap.
> Format|Cells|alignment tab.
>
> It's a way of entering more than one line inside a cell.
>
> bw wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file.  The character
appears
> > as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a
manual
> > page break that I can find, edit and replace.
> >
> > So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and
> > replace on it?
> >
> > If you need more information, please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bernie
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
iamnu (61)
4/15/2004 2:18:08 AM
Excuse me...I mean thanks DAVE (not Chip)...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:16:26 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny
> characters.
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm
>
> If you have to do this lots of times, I'd record a macro when you do an
> Edit|Replace and modify it to do those funny characters:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub cleanEmUp()
>
>     Dim myBadChars As Variant
>     Dim iCtr As Long
>
>     myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))
>
>     For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
>         ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="", _
>             LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
>     Next iCtr
>
> End Sub
>
> Just keep adding those Hex codes you found using Chip's addin.
>
> (I changed the funny characters to "".  You could use " " if you wanted a
> space.)
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> ========
> With some of those funny characters (alt-enters or alt-0010), you can actually
> use edit|replace.
>
> Edit|replace
> hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 (from the number keypad--not above
> QWERTY).
>
> It may look like nothing got entered in that little box, but try it.
>
> And if this is an alt-enter, you may just want to change the text wrap.
> Format|Cells|alignment tab.
>
> It's a way of entering more than one line inside a cell.
>
> bw wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file.  The character
appears
> > as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a
manual
> > page break that I can find, edit and replace.
> >
> > So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and
> > replace on it?
> >
> > If you need more information, please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bernie
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
iamnu (61)
4/15/2004 2:21:22 AM
I'm not offended--not sure about Chip, though!

Change this line to the hex codes you want to clean up:

myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))

with just one funny character:
myBadChars = Array(Chr(12))

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I sent you another message but it's not on the newsgroup for some reason.

It's working now, just like I wanted, but I still don't understand.  I used the "myBadChars =
Array(Chr(12))" value but can't see how this does what it does.  VB Help doesn't help me
either.  Somehow you knew this was the character that was causing me the problem???

In any case, I appreciate your help.  Thanks again.
Bernie

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:13:16 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> I'm not offended--not sure about Chip, though!
>
> Change this line to the hex codes you want to clean up:
>
> myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))
>
> with just one funny character:
> myBadChars = Array(Chr(12))
>

> bw wrote:
> >
> > Excuse me...I mean thanks DAVE (not Chip)...
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:16:26 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> > > Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny
> > > characters.
> > >
> > > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm
> > >
> > > If you have to do this lots of times, I'd record a macro when you do an
> > > Edit|Replace and modify it to do those funny characters:
> > >
> > > Option Explicit
> > > Sub cleanEmUp()
> > >
> > >     Dim myBadChars As Variant
> > >     Dim iCtr As Long
> > >
> > >     myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))
> > >
> > >     For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
> > >         ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="", _
> > >             LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
> > >     Next iCtr
> > >
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Just keep adding those Hex codes you found using Chip's addin.
> > >
> > > (I changed the funny characters to "".  You could use " " if you wanted a
> > > space.)
> > >
> > > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> > >
> > > ========
> > > With some of those funny characters (alt-enters or alt-0010), you can actually
> > > use edit|replace.
> > >
> > > Edit|replace
> > > hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 (from the number keypad--not above
> > > QWERTY).
> > >
> > > It may look like nothing got entered in that little box, but try it.
> > >
> > > And if this is an alt-enter, you may just want to change the text wrap.
> > > Format|Cells|alignment tab.
> > >
> > > It's a way of entering more than one line inside a cell.

> > appears
> > manual

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > > ec35720@msn.com
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
iamnu (61)
4/15/2004 4:38:44 PM
Here's the code:

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

    Dim myBadChars As Variant
    Dim iCtr As Long

    myBadChars = Array(Chr(10), Chr(13))

    For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
        ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="", _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    Next iCtr

End Sub

the For/next loop goes through each element in the array named myBadChars.

Kind of a lather, rinse, repeat, but lathering until you run out of shampoo (or
bad characters).

In your example, the array consists of one element.  You really didn't need to
loop at all:

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()
        ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=chr(12), Replacement:="", _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End Sub

Would have been sufficient.  But, heck.  If you ever run into more than one bad
character (maybe an alley?), you can run that original code and get rid of them
all.

(I think that's how the Guardian Angels started <bg>.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Strange Output
Hello, everybody !!! Why this fragment of code shows : ac cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; Thanks All !!! "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:ecTgPp8pEHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, everybody !!! > Why this fragment of code shows : ac > > cout<<"a\??/??/bc"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elconTrigraphs.asp '??/' is a '\' so you end up with "a\\\bc" http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vccelng4/html/elc...

Excel Object showing strange behavior
Hello, I have a sheet that I created that contains an Excel object (small spreadsheet) that when double clicked, will open up and allow it to be populated. After they populate it, and close it,...the data is automatically reflected in the object on the original sheet. This is shared with everyone and it's working great. BUT.....(always the but) Why have a few people sent the form back to me saying that when they double click the object it opens up a "Format Object" dialogue box rather than the editable sheet that it was supposed to do? They sent it back to me and sure enough...

Exchange Permissions--Strange One
Hi by default, domain admins (and ent. admins) are denied "receive as" and "send as" permissions to the mailbox store. additionally, by default, on the exchange advanced tab under the mailbox rights button, domain admins are DENIED Full Mailbox Access. However, if you look at the security tab for each user object, by default domain admins are allowed "send as" and "receive as" permissions. now i know that the "receive as" right is ignored on the ad user object, but i ran a small test. i logged on as a domain admin, opened up the domain admin...

Number of characters in a cell
I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. =LEN(A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bonny" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C900F604-3E15-4F40-A1A8-87259225042D@microsoft.com... > I want to count the number of characters in a cell. I have been told there is a way/formula you can use, rather than importing the table into word and using word count. Is there formula, if so what is it. ...

Strange Email failure error
Can anyone help? Using Outlook 2002 and POP3 mail. I've always been able to send emails to my wife's work email address until this week, when I get this very strange failure notice. "Connected to 213.2.49.230 but greeting failed. Remote host said: 421 reppsrv01.repp.co.uk is not accepting new connections. Please try later I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long." Does anyone know what the hell this means? thanks -- Google is your Friend Email address deliberately false to avoid spam: gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk www.gbpcomputin...

Very Strange
Hi I have a Word 2007 document. In this I am using 3 different heading styles. I want to use the feature 'Select Text with Similar Formatting' but it is not working. I have 5 headings that are all Title Case, size 10, Times New Roman, Left aligned and Bold there is exactly the same formatting applied to all 5 headings - I even checked the paragraph spacing - all headings are 0pt before and 12pt after. I checked show and hide - everything I repeat everything is the same - can you tell me why oh why will this feature only select 3 of my headings and not the 5???? ...

why this strange result with vlookup
hi i have this formula in a cell =VLOOKUP(A3,'LookUp Data'!A2:O740,2,FALSE) but any time i pick a code from my list items in column A it gives #NA but as soon as i change to a different code it gives the name. any help why My best guess would be a data type mismatch. Looking up text in a column of numbers. When you change the value the type gets converted and the result is returned. Hard to say though based on yoru description. The ohter thig to look for might be blank characters padded at the end of the input. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Amin" wrot...

Trimming leading character from string and replace underscore with dashes
Dear Experts: My worksheet has numerous entries, which all have the following form: _##_###_##_## (e.g. _90_237_44_44 or _40_443_22_77) I would like to run a macro that changes the SELECTED CELLS from _##_###_##_## to ##-###-###-## That is ... .... the first underscore has to be dropped .... all the other underscores have to be replaced with dashes. I got a formula alternative but I'd rather run a macro that performs the following on SELECTED CELLS: SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)),"_","-") Help is much appreciated. Thank you very muc in advance. ...

Removing leading characters
I have a field with a series of records that I wish to edit, e.g.: 1;im-1234 10;im784 123;im989 I wish to remove everything up to and including the ";" returning the following results: im-1234 im784 im989 The leading characters I want to remove differ in length, as do the remaining characters. Any ideas how to do this? Regards, Ryan "Ryan" wrote in message news:8e303335-f209-4c38-8f8c-1866ff851351@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com... >I have a field with a series of records that I wish to edit, e.g.: > > 1;im-1234 > 10;im784 > 123;im989 > > I wish to ...

Trimming a cell, remove "space character"
Hi, I've got empty space in my records (e.g. "1 300", "9 833" etc) and I thought a simple "find and replace" in tablesheet view would do the trick, but for some reason the FIND does not work (doesn't find a "space"). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure why the FIND doesn't work (I just put a space in the box). Cheers, Mikael "Mikael Lindqvist" wrote: > I've got empty space in my records (e.g. "1 300", "9 833" etc) and I > thought > a simple "find and replace"...

Some "special" characters do not display properly in GP.
Hello. Does anyone know what ASCII code page is used in Dynamics GP 10.0 and why some characters do not display properly in the text fields of the windows? The Euro symbol, € (ALT + 0128), is supported, which suggests the code page is Windows-1252. But the double open and close quotes, “ and ” (ALT + 0147 & 0148, respectively), show as "unknown" characters. Other characters like è, é, and â show up just fine. Seems a little odd to me. Is there a setting that controls the character encoding in the text fields? Thanks in advance. ...

DestroyWindow ASSERT problem....strange, strange!
Hi I have derived a dialog-class in a DLL (shared MFC) I can construct an object of this class in my app, and when overloading DoModal() and adding an AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState( )); call, I can see the CMyDialog dialog. But here is the issue, I have a timer set for a certain time, it posts a message and the dialog has to be killed - so I use CDialog::OnCancel. Then DoModal calls DestroyWindow() - Here a copy of the m_hWnd is made in hWndOrig. #ifdef _DEBUG hWndOrig = m_hWnd; #endif Then m_hWnd gets set to Null by ::DestroyWndow (which calls OnNcDestroy). But later in Dest...

Strange behavior #3
Hello. I use Outlook 2003 with a internal pop/smtp server (Merak). Using Oulook 2003 (it's the case for all users in the company), when we send mails to internal addresses, in the recipient mailbox our address doesn't appear, we are considered as ghost users! But, if on the same PC we use another email client (Outlook express for example), the mail arrives with my address as sender! Does anyone feel a ghostbuster? Thanks by advance. ...

strange Icon
I'm running Office 2007, and always back up my files to a flash drive which I can then open in my laptop. The "Icons" always look normal until today When I backed up an Excel file. The new Icon on the flash drive has a big exclamation mark (!) in the center of it!! I have reviewed the file and can't find anything wrong with it -- have been doing this for years and have never seen this before. Will someone please tell me what this means!! The icon in my "documents and settings", where the file was saved originally is normal. big john This is a cross post wi...

strange
hi, why if I load Dialog from satelite DLL it display with white background? When from local resources its ok. thanks ...

Strange problems
All, A standalone Exchange 2003 SP2 server acted up the other day and needed to be restated. After the first reboot it only stayed stable for about 10 minutes. After the second, it's been running but generating the errors listed below. I ran the "Performance Troubleshooting Analyzer" and "Troubleshooting Assistant" tools from Microsoft's websites but didn't get anything that was too useful. Any suggestions? Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1025 Date: 3/28/2007 Time: 8:44:43 AM User: N/A C...

Too Strange!!
Today I had a user receive a NEW email from another user in the company (it showed up as a new email message and displayed the new email notification message) - the strange thing is, the email had a sent date that was over a month old. She tells me that she remembers receiving this exact same email on the actual send date which was over a month ago. I checked her inbox - which is in her personal folders and there is only one copy of it which has the sent date from a month ago. I've seen this happen before but could never figure it out. It's almost as if an old email turns up ...

Character sizes
Will someone please enlighten me on how to reduce/change the size of typed characters on worksheets and the worksheets themselves as well, in OS Win.XPPro Office 2003. Currently a CD with worksheet files presents me with two different types of writing and worksheets sizes on two different PCs, both with Office 2003. The default settings are probably different on the two PCs. You can click on the intersection of the row and column identifiers (i.e. immediately above row 1 and to the left of column A) to highlight the complete worksheet. Then you can click on the font icons directly (if ...

more than 8192 characters in text file output
SQL 2005 I have a customer that is requiring me to generate INSERT statements (in a tab delimted text file) for him from their existing MSSQL 2005 table for import into an outside MySql system for other purposes. I'm creating the statements for about 10 columns, one of which is TEXT type. Most of the rows contain less than 4000 characters of text in that column but a few exceed that by quite a bit. I've written a query to generate the INSERTS and it runs fine except that we discovered that some lines in the output are being truncated at 8192 characters. I went into Opt...

How to change fonts of characters in equations?
How to change fonts of characters in equations? Within Word 2007 equations, all characters use the same font by default. You can set it through the 'Font' group on the 'Home' tab. If you want to format individual characters, you have to type them as normal text. On the 'Design' tab (visible when your pointer is inside the equation) you can select 'Normal Text' from the 'Tools' group to insert characters which you can format individually. You can use this functionality wherever you want in your function. Yves "uthai" <uth...

strange problem with ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI handler
Hi all.. I programmed an application that has a dialog containing a tree ctrl. On that tree ctrl I'm showing a popup menu when user right clicks on it. The problem I'm having is concerning enabling and graying of popup menu items. I have this in BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP: ON_COMMAND(IDM_NUEVO_PRODUCTO_CONSOLA, OnNuevoProductoConsola) ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI(IDM_NUEVO_PRODUCTO_CONSOLA, OnUpdateNuevoProductoConsola) The first strange thing is that OnUpdateNuevoProductoConsola handler is being called when I click on the item, and not when the item is shown Another strange thing, is that if I g...

Strange color "smudge"
A cell in one of the spreadsheets I've been working on has developed a complexion problem! I noticed this afternoon a small smudge of color one of the cells near the top. The color is whatever I select in the Windows "Appearance" box for 3D objects. It looks like someone drew it with a sharpie or something. Just a short vertical line, about an 1/8 inch long in the lower left of the cell. If I change column widths of the column it's in or nearby, or change row height, it will be in a different column or row but in the same position relative to the overall window the spreadshee...

This is very strange....
In Windows Live Mail Desktop, my messages are suddenly coming in as text only, even though I've set up to receive HTML from my safe senders list. Also, my MAPI account has mysteriously lost several folders that I set up to store different styles of messages. This has all occurred within the last day or so. Alt + T, Options, Read tab, uncheck Read all messages in plain text. Alt + V, Layout, Folder pane, check Show Storage folders. Look under Recovered items. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "robertwnielsen" <robertwnielsen@discussions.microsoft.c...

Strange message's in queue
Hay, I am running SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003, this computer connects to the internet through ISA server that resides on another w2k server! Over the past few weeks lots of messages are in the queue that dont seem to be real. Here is some information that I have put together to help; SBS Connector - 0451.com 22 messages to random usernames@0451.COM (INVALID EMAIL) from postmaster@disability-federation.ie SBS Connector - 0733.com 10 messages to random usernames@0733.COM (INVALID EMAIL) SBS Connector - 006.com - Sender: postmaster@disability-federation.ie - Subject: <Subject Hidden>...

strange statement in Settings.Designer
Hello! At the end is the complete code for file Settings.Designer.cs I can't understand this statement ((string)(this["NorthwindConnectionString"])); in this NorthwindConnectionString propery public string NorthwindConnectionString { get { return ((string)(this["NorthwindConnectionString"])); } } namespace WindowsApplication1.Properties { [global::System.Runtime.CompilerServices.CompilerGeneratedAttribute()] [global::System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute("Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editors.SettingsDes...