Still have file opening problem

My laptop has the following problem...click on a shortcut to or an Excel 97
file icon and Excel opens but not the file.  If I open Excel and then go to
File/Open....any of the files will open fine.  I now have latest Zone Alarm
and have removed and reinstalled Excel several times but same difficulty
keeps occuring.  Have also tried "unregserver/regserver" but no luck with
that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0
norm5080 (5)
1/9/2004 7:36:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

check the properties of your icon  (right click)
and what do you see for filename  or program.
--
---
HTH,

"Norm5080" <norm5080@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oi0SRfu1DHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> My laptop has the following problem...click on a shortcut to or an Excel 97
> file icon and Excel opens but not the file.  If I open Excel and then go to
> File/Open....any of the files will open fine.  I now have latest Zone Alarm
> and have removed and reinstalled Excel several times but same difficulty
> keeps occuring.  Have also tried "unregserver/regserver" but no luck with
> that either.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
1/10/2004 1:06:56 AM
Finally fixed the problem...I found that the excel file in MSOffice\office
did not have a .exe attached to it...so I added it and voila...everything
working fine.  Thanks for your help.

0
norm5080 (5)
1/14/2004 9:22:19 PM
excuse me I have the same problem excatlly as you so could you pleas
explain how did you fix it exactlly because I didn't understand

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:22:19 -0500, "Norm5080" <norm5080@hotmail.com>
- in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote:

>Finally fixed the problem...I found that the excel file in MSOffice\office
>did not have a .exe attached to it...so I added it and voila...everything
>working fine.  Thanks for your help.

Ummm, it probably did, unless it had been deliberately changed not to
have the extension in the file name - there is a setting that can hide
the extension on known file name types.

One way into that setting - open My Computer, find "Folder Options" in
one of the pull down menus (varies according to which Windows version
- in XP, it's in the Tools menu), click the View tab and find the
option "Hide extensions for known file types".

Having this setting turned on is one of the most annoying default
features built into Windows - *EVERY* user of a computer should be
taught how to go into this option and turn it off - it causes untold
confusion when looking for a file

(e.g. you've got a collection of files in Word, Access, Excel,
Powerpoint and Publisher - with a couple of images in different
formats (jpg, gif and bmp). They're all on the same subject so they
all can have the same file name - let's say "assignment2", but there's
a .doc, a .xls, a .ppt, a .mdb, a .pub, a .jpg, a .gif, and a .bmp
file.

Hide the extension and unless you're acutely aware of which product
logo appears before the filename, every file looks identical.)

You know it makes sense.
steam3801
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:22:19 -0500, "Norm5080" <norm5080@hotmail.com>
- in a blinding flash of brilliance - wrote:

>Finally fixed the problem...I found that the excel file in MSOffice\office
>did not have a .exe attached to it...so I added it and voila...everything
>working fine.  Thanks for your help.

 (see my first response - sorry, I now realise you were talking about
the path name in the desktop shortcut icon, not the actual filename
stored on your computer.)

You know it makes sense.
steam3801

PDF file has different font
Publisher displays a special font and prints it just fine but when I "Publish as PDF" for the document, what should be the special font in the pdf file is a different font. Any suggestions? TIA, lorendi Are you using Acrobat? Not all fonts can be embedded. What version Publisher are you using? If you are using 2007 try the Office 2007 *save as PDF* add-in. https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "NoSpam" <lorendi@austin.net> wrote in message news:e...

Macro to extract clip-art file?
It's been a long time since I wrote my last VBA macro, and I don't want to duplicate one that might already exist. So before I get stuck into it, does anyone have a macro that will do the following please: - Start with a clip art picture selected (or inserted into a worksheet if that's easier). - Finish with its file (WMF or GIF) copied into an Explorer/My Computer folder please? -- Terry, West Sussex, UK ...

printui.dll command line in a batch file
I am using the printui.dll command line in a batch file. When I start the batch file I see the print divers installing and then I get a "the arguments are invalid" and the printer never get added. Also is there a way to log the output like an installation log. Here is the code. rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HP Color LaserJet 4700 PCL 6" /f U:\Scripts\Printer\IP_Printing\Drivers\HP_Color_4700\hpc4700c.inf /r "IP_172.29.49.47" /m "HP Color LaserJet 4700 PCL 6" Thanks for helping me "freddy" <freddy@discussi...

Outlook still hanging
I have followed the advice from my last message - I have renamed the file to outcmd.old and I have disabled messenger in the Options. The problem only occurs when I try to send/receive. If I turn off send/receive every thing is OK but as soon as I try to manually receive or on opening, Outlook freezes still. please help Peter ...

Security settings that prevent opening links in received emails?
When I lick on any linked item in a received email while viewing the email in the preview or after opening the email, I receive a error message that says "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Well, this is a home PC running Windows XP 64-bit and Outlook 2007. I do use AVG for a anti-virus, but the weird thing is that this changed over night without me knowingly making any security changes. I wasn't even messing around with settings. This just happened out of the blue. Any ...

Windows 7 AD problem
Frustrating issue here: I have a windows server 2003 AD infrastructure. I Windows 7 as my company computers. I have 1 user (user A) that, when logged into the network, loses control of his screen when user B starts typing. I have made sure that IPs are not conflicting. I have created different accounts for both of them but still keep having the same bad luck. It is causing user A to not be able to work because whenever user B is typing an e-mail it literally takes control of user A's screen and starts typing into whatever program he has open. I have never seen nor ...

Stacking data from diffferent excel worksheets within the same excel file,
Deal all, I'd like to automatically stack data which is in an identical format (ie same number of colums but different column lengths) within the same excel file but contained in different worksheets. Ideally I'd like to have the worksheet name (i.e.off the tab) added to the stacked data. The worksheet tab names are product based and non-sequential I am using excel 2003 Any help would be gratefully received Thanks Ed One way: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim RptWks As Worksheet Dim RngToCopy As Range Dim DestCell As Range With Activ...

Compressing a Word file with jpeg photos
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) I have a 16 MB Word file with JPEG photos I'd like to email. Is there any way to compress this file? <br><br>Thanks. In article <59bb8f42.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0>, <nancfp@officeformac.com> wrote: >Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) I have a 16 MB >Word file with >JPEG photos I'd like to email. Is there any way to compress this file? In the Finder, select the file and choose File > Create Archive. Patty No. JPEGs are already compressed as tight as ...

Multiple problems 08-14-10
My father's Advent computer was bought just three months ago. His Belkin G wireless connection often wouldn't work after sleep mode, and we often had to restart the computer. Lately the following things are happening: 1. the restart to get the wireless to work seems to be unavoidable 2. the Belkin control program desktop icon has gone 3. the Belkin control program access in the list of programs has also gone 4. the monitor sometimes does not receive input (it's as if there's a loose connection with the computer) 5. thinking it might be a virus problem, I tried runn...

Convert Excel File to database file
Im trying to find out if there is a way to convert excel data files to qif, ofx or ofc in order to import into MS Money or just import the files directly You can use an add-in http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MichaelG" <mgalapago@aol.com> wrote in message news:032301c39f1e$a7154490$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Im trying to find out if there is a way to convert excel > data files to qif, ofx or ofc in order to import into MS > Money or just import the files directly ...

How to set CEdit to ReadOnly but the background color still White?
I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. I want to set all my CEdit controls to read only but I want to keep the WHITE BACKGROUND appearance. How to do that? Thank you very much. Handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. -- Ajay "Landon" <Landon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C081A07-E979-42C5-B56B-8F151B440757@microsoft.com... >I use Visual C++ MFC 4.2. > > I want to set all my CEdit controls to read only but I want to keep the > WHITE BACKGROUND appearance. > > How to do that? > > Thank you very much. I've tried it and it works. But I've got 2 M...

Open File Dialog
Is there a way to change the default (alphabetical) listing of files in the Open File Dialog? I have a directory of Word files that has several sub-folders. I'd like the folders to be grouped together at the top of the list, then all the Word docs. sorted alphabetically from there. The way it is now, all the folders appear in the list, but separated by a bunch of files. In the OSX finder, I can sort by "Kind", but that option doesn't seem to be available in the Open File dialog. Thanks in advance for your help. In article <916e0bc.0405240708.2606495e@posting.google.c...

Outlook message editing problem
Running Outlook 2000 If I edit a colleagues message, Outlook puts my text in blue, any sentence I type automatically gets a leading space and it is in a different font. 1. Can I temporarily turn this off on a per-message basis? How? 2. Can I permantely turn this off? How? I wish to edit in the font, point size, colour of the actual message without Outlook inserting anything or changing the font charactistics. I have looked under Tools -> Options but cannot find it under the myriad of complex options. Thanks Stephen Howe What it comes down to is I don't care about Style or Style...

Outlook 11.8010.6568 (SP2) vs 11.8206.8172 (SP3) issue with OFT file
It seems that ever since I updated my OL from Outlook 11.8010.6568 (SP2) vs 11.8206.8172 (SP3) I cannot run a Template .OFT file by just clicking on it, now I need to run it from the "Choose Form" Menu Is there any work around ? Thanks.. That is a security "feature" for templates with custom properties or fields. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907985 for more information. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailt...

Project files issue.
Hello. I have download a sample from the msdn archive. When i opened the file i didn't find WSD file to open the whole project, i looked at the instructions and it's say's to open from the file with .sln extension, what is this file? and how can i open the whole project? Thanks Ron. Hi Ron, The .sln file is the "solution" file. Solution is a new term and file extension in VC7. Files of this type gathers all kinds of projects such as VB and VC. Bottom line: you've downloaded a sample for VC7 and there is no workspace(.dsw) file. -- Rog >-----Original Mess...

Corupt file "broken records in BGT_ITM table"
The salvage utility gave me this error: broken records in BGT_ITM table Please inform of a solution. Most files report this. In the absence of other indications of a problem, I'd ignore it. "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:069401c39537$5ff3d0e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > The salvage utility gave me this error: > > broken records in BGT_ITM table > > Please inform of a solution. ...

CRM 3 STILL NOT GOOD
Just tried CRM 3 on the demo servers provided by Microsoft. After ALL THE TIME they spent on it . . . and it's STILL NOT AS GOOD AS IT SHOULD BE! It lacks basic functionality found in earlier versions of ACT. And much is not intuitive (such as searching for accounts). I will not enjoy rolling this out to the sales reps as they will say that it's still not good. Even if you add a module like marketing, and yet neglect the basic problems with the software, you still don't have a truly good product. -- Brandon What sort of search functionality were you looking for ?. ...

File sharing
Hi, I have a client with two machines running Mac OS X 10.3.6, and MS Office 2004 with SR1, and both machines have file sharing enabled. If machine1 has a file on its hard disk opened called file1.xls, and machine2 tries to open the same file I thought that machine2 would only be able to access the file read-only, and be told this. However what I am seeing is that machine2 can open the file, make changes, and save the changes but if machine1 makes changes and saves their version machine2's changes are lost. Shouldn't machine2 be told that they can only open the file read-only? Thank...

problem when transferring out serialized item
we have a serialized item that was returned by a customer, and was placed into offline inventory. i went to offline inventory and transferred the item out, we did a standard transfer type (we are sending the item back to the supplier). after doing that, i went to the transfer out order, and selected issue all, and tried to commit to it. i get the error message "the following serial number exists in the database, and is not available for issuing: 04215494019" i checked this serial number in the serial table, and the status of the serial number is set at 3. we've never...

RAID 10 still best for DB's?
We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise. We have 3 Mailbox stores which had 1-2 databases in each and each maiailbox store in on a RAID 10 partition. We use to have them on RAID 5 at it was very slow sometimes, our average writes/reads to disk per second were sometimes hitting > 50 msecs. Now on RAID 10 we sometimes get the odd >30 msecs but many when backups are running. We are going to be upgrading our server soon, would RAID 10 be the best way? Plus we will eventually upgrade this new server to Exchange 2007. On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:00:11 +0100, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> ...

Mouse flicker problems in MS Word, ,running windows 7.
I recently installed MS Office Home and Student on a windows 7 operating pc - but everytime I start word my curser flickers in the screen area and i can't click right or left. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. It isn't a Word problem, but my suspicion is either the printer driver is corrupt or incompatible or missing. Make sure that you have the latest driver for your printer and then delete and reinstall the printer. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "PR100" <PR100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Excel Workbook file increaseing in size
The file was created in XL 97 (I think) and is being opened in XL 2002. It has one sheet. Data in rows 1 - 24 & Columns A - AE. There are cell borders around these cells and some have shading. During the month (it's a roster) the file is updated with an 'X' in the cell which corresponds with the day the employee worked and then saved. The file at present is 5.4MB, in July it was 3.6MB. The amount/number of data has not changed - just the 'X's' have been placed into different cells. Why is it increasing in size this dramatically and why is it this size ...

Contacts problem after running ADC?
We have a 2000 domain sp4, and a 5.5 sp4 machine on a 2000 server sp 4. We are getting ready to set up 2003 exchange and on a 2003 server and then migrate the mailboxes over. We have installed 2003 and then installed the connector on the 2003 machine, but we have not installed 2003 Exchange. I ran Active Directory Connector and now there are 2 problems? 1. On the global directory in Outlook there are 2 entries for every person, one e-mail address and one (what looks like a) custom recipient, how do I get rid of them? 2. Names are not being resolved when you type them in the to: spa...

Still losing pictures
I am still losing my graphics! Here is what has happened: Originally, I started to edit an existing file. Most of the pictures were already there. I added some pictures and text using the insert picture from file method. After saving and re-opening the next day, I had lost all of the old images but still had the ones that I had just added. I replaced all of those pictures using the graphics Manager by clicking on the empty picture in the Graphics Manager and selecting replace picture. After saving and re-opening the next day, now they are all gone. I am using windows metafile images. Today,...

TMP files #3
Since getting a new pc, any attempt to save a file in Excel, instead saves to a TMP file. I get no errors, and I can open the file again fine, but my disks are slowly filling up with TMP file instead of spreadsheets. Any ideas? Jono Although you didn't get an error message this article describes problems with saving files and being left with tmp files. It may provide some insight: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;103329&Product=xlw -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "jono" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d65401c423a1$29e...