stat analysis problem

et al,

Here is the problem I'm having.

I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it.  both in
the format of '5' '98' '444' etc.  What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a
formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of any
number.  i.e..  say 5.  when I would do count on the above I get an answer
of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5).  Or even in the formula when I put the 5 in as
'5'.

Is there a way to do this in excel?

TIA.
-JD

0
always (2)
10/16/2003 5:58:34 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The COUNT function counts the number of cells with containing a number...any
number. This is why the formula is returning 3. All three cells contain
numbers.
What you need is COUNTIF(cell1:cell2.5)

tim

"John Doe" <always@in.style> wrote in message
> et al,
>
> Here is the problem I'm having.
>
> I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it.  both in
> the format of '5' '98' '444' etc.  What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a
> formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of any
> number.  i.e..  say 5.  when I would do count on the above I get an answer
> of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5).  Or even in the formula when I put the 5 in
as
> '5'.
>
> Is there a way to do this in excel?
>
> TIA.
> -JD

0
timotero (63)
10/16/2003 7:25:53 AM
Change the period to a comma for US settings.

Jerry

Tim Otero wrote:

> The COUNT function counts the number of cells with containing a number...any
> number. This is why the formula is returning 3. All three cells contain
> numbers.
> What you need is COUNTIF(cell1:cell2.5)
>
> tim
>
> "John Doe" <always@in.style> wrote in message
>
>>et al,
>>
>>Here is the problem I'm having.
>>
>>I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it.  both in
>>the format of '5' '98' '444' etc.  What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a
>>formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of any
>>number.  i.e..  say 5.  when I would do count on the above I get an answer
>>of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5).  Or even in the formula when I put the 5 in
>>
> as
>
>>'5'.
>>
>>Is there a way to do this in excel?
>>
>>TIA.
>>-JD

0
post_a_reply (1395)
10/16/2003 10:52:05 AM
THANKS!
"Tim Otero" <timotero@msn.com> wrote in message
> The COUNT function counts the number of cells with containing a
number...any
> number. This is why the formula is returning 3. All three cells contain
> numbers.
> What you need is COUNTIF(cell1:cell2.5)
>
> tim
>
> "John Doe" <always@in.style> wrote in message
> > et al,
> >
> > Here is the problem I'm having.
> >
> > I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it.  both
in
> > the format of '5' '98' '444' etc.  What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a
> > formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of
any
> > number.  i.e..  say 5.  when I would do count on the above I get an
answer
> > of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5).  Or even in the formula when I put the 5
in
> as
> > '5'.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this in excel?
> >
> > TIA.
> > -JD

0
always (2)
10/16/2003 6:08:22 PM
Oops, typo on my part...Thanks Jerry

tim

"Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
> Change the period to a comma for US settings.
>
> Jerry
>
> Tim Otero wrote:
>
> > The COUNT function counts the number of cells with containing a
number...any
> > number. This is why the formula is returning 3. All three cells contain
> > numbers.
> > What you need is COUNTIF(cell1:cell2.5)
> >
> > tim
> >
> > "John Doe" <always@in.style> wrote in message
> >
> >>et al,
> >>
> >>Here is the problem I'm having.
> >>
> >>I have a column of data (say column 'b') that has numbers in it.  both
in
> >>the format of '5' '98' '444' etc.  What I'm trying to do is come up w/ a
> >>formula that will tell me the number of occurrences in that column of
any
> >>number.  i.e..  say 5.  when I would do count on the above I get an
answer
> >>of 3 ( =count(cell1:cell2,5).  Or even in the formula when I put the 5
in

> > as
> >
> >>'5'.
> >>
> >>Is there a way to do this in excel?
> >>
> >>TIA.
> >>-JD

0
timotero (63)

Formula problem #13
I am trying to come up with a formula for the following: I have a range of five cells in a column which are store numbers. The 5 cells represent Monday thru Friday (the labels of Mon thru Fri are in a separate column and won't need to be a part of the formula). example: Monday 452 (c1) Tuesday 453 (c2) Wednesday 453 (c3) Thursday 452 (c4) Friday 453 (c5) This is a schedule showing which store numbers a person is supposed to be in on these days. The person above, however is assigned three stores: 452, 453, and 454. In the blank cel...

Problems with Columns
Attempting to change existing text to two columns but sections in wrong order when changed to columns. What could be causing this? ...

Exchange 2003 problem #2
We got problem with email, so I tried to check the Exchange 2003 server, all clients cann't resolve the exchange server which they using msoutlook xp. I tried to ping from client the server that can able to resolve the server. I already try to reintall ADC and Exchange 2003 but still thesame problem. From event viewer I got error event id 9175, 3015 and 3018. I format the server and reinstall everything and thanks god it works but suddenly the problem back again in thesame problem... We have norton firewall, symantec anti virus system and I also install symantec antivirus/f...

Microsoft Money 2005 Report Problem
I am trying to get a transaction report of all withdrawals for the previous year from my checking accounts and the only thing that is reported is deposits. I had previously printed this report without any problem. Now it doesn't. I tried reinstalling the program and upgrading it but it didn't help. What am I doing wrong??? Any ideas? Pat ...

access problem
Hello newsgroup, i have a microsoft access 2000 database. Now, i have to install it on the pc of our customer. The customer has installed 2003. I can export all data, but i can not open the reports of this database. I will get the message ( if i got some) an active x or ole object is not installed. But i don't know which on can't be used. If i will create an equal database which the same references, it is not the problem. The only thing which i can not use on this pc is "insert a diagram" After this, we have installed a access runtime 2000, but the same error. Have somebod...

Problem with CArchive
Hi I am saving and loading a CArray using CArchive. CStdioFile file(fileName, CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeWrite); CArchive arc(&file, CArchive::store); mPad.Serialize(arc); CStdioFile file; CArchive arc(&file, CArchive::load); mPad.RemoveAll(); mPad.Serialize(arc); mPad is declared as CArray <Song, Song&> mPad; where Song is my own data struct. I'm using CStdioFile because I want to use ReadString. It was working fine, until I increased the size of the array slightly (but still much less than 4k) - then it loads about half the array and the rest is blank, ...

Font problem
Hi, I am trying to change the font in an Owner Drawn list box. The list box consists of a series of buttons with an icon and some text underneath the icon (still on the face of the button). The problem is that I am creating a font and selecting it into the device context but if you resize the window it sometimes changes the font. Is there any way to prevent this? I want the font to remain consistent even when the window is resized. The code to create the font is: VERIFY(myfont.CreateFont( 8, // nHeight 0, // nWidth 0, ...

IF(ISNUMBER.... problem
I can't seem to figure this one out. I am trying to make either a checkmark, someones intials or a check box (reall doesn't matter which but check mark would be best) appear in a cell when three other cells in that same form contain data. The cells that need to be searched woutl only contain dates but the accutall date entered is irrelevant to the check box so I would assume that it only needs to search for generic data. The dates are entered as 05/01/06. Using online help I have been trying and trying with "=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("/",AND (G5,H5,I5))),"checkmark...

sales Tax Problem Help!
Hi i Justa changed the Sales Tax on Store Manager using administrator user and pasword , then item by item Aplied sales Tax on each when i use the pos with tailer User and Password tax do not apear but if i use the Administrator user and password it apear ...

mail stats
any way to extract user stats with ex2003, Messages sent messages received etc... http://www.quest.com/MessageStats/ http://www.netiq.com/solutions/exchange/default.asp -tom ---- "who cares" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05c901c3d58c$91c83260$a501280a@phx.gbl... > any way to extract user stats with ex2003, Messages sent > messages received etc... ...

Microsoft SQL Analysis Services

sql problem
i have an update querry that should pull number out of a string.the strings are standardized(same). i thought it would be good to pull out the start position of the nummber and the end position of the number. here is the code for start position: Public Function isPocetakBroja(ByVal IngFactor As String) As Long Dim pocetakBroja, krajBroja, drugipocetakBroja As Long 'assumes that the FactorSum value is a number, and is a Long Integer. Select Case Left(IngFactor, 8) Case Is = "dov. zal" pocetakBroja = InStr(10, IngFactor, "dana (", vbTextCompare) + 6 drugipocetakBroja =...

Date Format problem #13
Hi, I am trying to use a box where notes & a Date are kept. Looking for the best way to setup, not good at dates cell formated as general, If a date is present it will be as: :yymmdd or 060510 had cond. format eq like: IF(AND(AK9<1,LEFT(T9,2)=":0"),MID(T9,2,6)-5>$T$7), where T9 is the text cell working in, for future date is within 5 days of a cell where was trying to put todays date $T$7, e.g.: 060101 Is there a text variable have to apply, guesse would rather not have to use a separate cell for todays date. PS the face you see in my equation is not fred. It...

Routing group?? problem
Hi All, Sorry I can not give you the real name, but it's a true situation. We have two exchange servers like bellow. ExchangeA---PIX A-----Internet--------PIX B----ExchangeB Let's say we have two users, UserA--it's mail box is hosted by ExchangeA, UserB--it's mailbox is hosted by ExchangeB. I created two routing groups, GroupA and GroupB, ExchangeA is in GroupA, and ExhcangeB is in GroupB. I created a routing group connector called AB. The only configuration for connector AB is remote bridgehead. All others are default. And let Exchange System Manager create another conn...

Loan problem
Hi, I have a loan setup that last for another +1000 payments, it was working fine showing the breakdowns of interest versus principal and consolidating downloaded transactions that matched until December, 11th. As of then it has died, the transactions are still downloaded but are not referenced in the loan account. Anyone have any suggestions what to look for and how to put these payments to the loan so things are back on track? In microsoft.public.money, Ted wrote: >Hi, I have a loan setup that last for another +1000 >payments, it was working fine showing the breakdowns of &...

Problem importing PST File
Am trying to import a PST file to a laptop. I created the original on my desktop PC and saved to a CD. The desktop unit runs in XP Home with Outlook XP. The laptop unit runs in XPPro with Outlook XP. Even after copying the file from the CD to the Desktop AND removing the Read- Only attribute, I still get the same error message - Access denied . . . you do not have the permission . . . Any suggestions?? Have you tried to rename the file to the same name and then OPEN it using File->Open? BTW - it is always best to Open a .pst file rather than import it as importing loses several ...

Outlook 2002 "connector" problems!
I am unable to resolve (in a timely fashion!) a "connector" problem with Outlook 2002. When I click on the icon, Outlook 2002 appears but I never get the login dialogue box, thus no logon! OE and IE both function correctly but after much time spent checking everything I cannot get Outlook to generate (?) a login! Has anyone else experienced this issue, and what was the 'fix'? What are you trying to log into? George wrote: > I am unable to resolve (in a timely fashion!) > a "connector" problem with Outlook 2002. > > When I click on the icon, Out...

Troubleshooting "Rules"
Hi, I am trying to cope with spam by creating rules from messages in my Junk folder. I am hilighting the message and then selecting either the "From" option or the "Subject" option. All seems to go well up to that point. However . . . After clicking OK and then selecting "run this rule in this folder now", the only message that is deleted is the one that I am using to create the rule, instead of going through the whole Junk folder, as expected. Another problem that I am having is with the Search funciton. Again in my failaing efforts to cope with over...

Cannot install add-in Analysis ToolPak
I tried to put the add-in for MS Excel 2003 but I got the error: "...Windows Installer error 1648" Excel won't locate the file in my CD but popped the error right away. I tried to reinstall MS Office 2003 but the Remove button in Control Panel won't work. Nothing happened. What was wrong? Is there anyway to fix this problem? ...

Alternate recipient problem
We have a user with an Exchange mailbox that has an Alternate recipient set with copy retaining by mailbox. Problem is this - we are intermittantly getting emails that hit the exchange mailbox that DO NOT get forwarded on to the Alternate recipient. We know this is the case as we have checked the Alternate recipient's log as well as our outgoing SMTP server's log. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix? Exchange 5.5 sp3 running on NT4 Server. ...

Offline Problem
We have the Offline database set up and when we test the database connection it is good. After setting it up, we did a clerk reading and the offline database synchronized with the master database OK. But when the server goes down, the offline register syas data connection lost. It's not autometically switching over to the offline database. We get the following error: 2147467259 Native error 11 Select Get Date() as CurrentDateTime Any help would be appreciated. It doesn't automatically switch. It will give you that error when the DB goes down, and then you need to launch the ...

Count function problem
I have a formula in a cell which reads: "=IF(COUNT(D13:G13)>=2,J13+MAX(H13,$B$43),0)" When I created this workbook template, the cells from D13 to G13 were blank until I filled them in, and this formula worked fine. However, I've made a change to the workbook. Now I've made D13 through G13 equal to the values in a range of cells from other sheets in the workbook (for e.g. D13 is "=Sheet1!D13". The above formula is now generating the number from B43 by default, even though the cells from D13 to G13 are blank. The "COUNT" help in Excel says: "...

email problems
I am getting the following error message when I try to acces my email. Please advise. Thank you. An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005 In your browser go to http://mail.yahoo.com and log in to that account. Then clean out all the folders in your webmail. If you want to save any messages, create a new folder and move those messages to the new folder. Empty the spam and thrash folders also. Close webmail, then try Windows Mail again. Gary ...

A problem difficulty for me but easy for you!
the problem is the fllowing: 1.Either a database or a table of it has so many records that it is wasting time if we try to operate it in total any time . 2.I want to show some records page by page in the web page.At the same time,maybe I have to sometimes list them order by some fields . 3.To do what 2 shows as quickly as possible,because users don't wait with patience.how can I do? thanks "jifenghu" <jifenghu@mail.ustc.edu.cn> wrote in message news:e0TlxiY5EHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > the problem is the fllowing: > 1.Either a database or a table of it has s...

Problem with starting Word 2007
I have a recurring problem with Word 2007. Every few days (I haven't figured out a pattern yet) Word 2007 will not start. All that shows up is the Word 2007 splash screen. In order to get past this I have to remove the normal.dotm file and reboot. Then I can bring up Word 2007. This problem started a few weeks ago and I have not installed anything new on the computer. I'm runnin Windows7 and MSOffice 2007. I've removed a few add-ons in order to pinpoint the issue but so far no luck. Questions: Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone have suggestions of wha...