Square Root

How does one calculate the Nth square root of X. Is there
a function? Anyone has formula to acomplish this? Thanks
for your help.

Regards
Sadik
0
anonymous (74722)
2/11/2004 10:56:08 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Sadik
try
=POWER(value,1/n)
or
=value^(1/n)

Frank

Sadik wrote:
> How does one calculate the Nth square root of X. Is there
> a function? Anyone has formula to acomplish this? Thanks
> for your help.
>
> Regards
> Sadik

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/11/2004 11:11:33 AM
Frank,

Thanks a lot. Its so easy when you know it. Thanks.

Regards
Sadik

0
anonymous (74722)
2/11/2004 11:24:01 AM
Sadik,

Not to be picky, but for what it's worth, you're asking for the "nth root of
x," not square root.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Sadik" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Frank,
>
> Thanks a lot. Its so easy when you know it. Thanks.
>
> Regards
> Sadik

0
nowhere1083 (630)
2/11/2004 8:04:04 PM
"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in

> Not to be picky, but for what it's worth, you're asking for the "nth
> root of x," not square root.

It's the notation that's confusing.  Square root is written like this:
      _______
     /
'\  /   25
  \/

but the nth root is written like this:

      _______
   n /
'\  /   25
  \/

It's easy to look at that change and think "this is the same thing as
square root plus an n, so it's the nth square root"

The problem is that
      _______
     /
'\  /   25
  \/

is a shorthand notation for
      _______
   2 /
'\  /   25
  \/

and terminology is weird that we say the "square root" instead of "second
root".

--
My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid.
Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to

I agree. In the absence of a number, it's presumed to be 2.

As an aside, you should work in audio, where presumptions lead people quite
astray.  My favorite is "RMS Power," a fairly misunderstood and essentially
meaningless term.  It even has to do with squares and square roots.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"Jonathan Rynd" <pqaf4hm02@atsneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
>
> > Not to be picky, but for what it's worth, you're asking for the "nth
> > root of x," not square root.
>
> It's the notation that's confusing.  Square root is written like this:
>       _______
>      /
> '\  /   25
>   \/
>
> but the nth root is written like this:
>
>       _______
>    n /
> '\  /   25
>   \/
>
> It's easy to look at that change and think "this is the same thing as
> square root plus an n, so it's the nth square root"
>
> The problem is that
>       _______
>      /
> '\  /   25
>   \/
>
> is a shorthand notation for
>       _______
>    2 /
> '\  /   25
>   \/
>
> and terminology is weird that we say the "square root" instead of "second
> root".
>
> --
> My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid.
> Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want to
> reply.

0
nowhere1083 (630)
2/12/2004 7:12:43 PM
Or try explaining the impact of harmonics on three phase power systems.
"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
> Jonathan,
>=20
> I agree. In the absence of a number, it's presumed to be 2.
>=20
> As an aside, you should work in audio, where presumptions lead people =
quite
> astray.  My favorite is "RMS Power," a fairly misunderstood and =
essentially
> meaningless term.  It even has to do with squares and square roots.
> --=20
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>=20
> "Jonathan Rynd" <pqaf4hm02@atsneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Not to be picky, but for what it's worth, you're asking for the =
"nth
> > > root of x," not square root.
> >
> > It's the notation that's confusing.  Square root is written like =
this:
> >       _______
> >      /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > but the nth root is written like this:
> >
> >       _______
> >    n /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > It's easy to look at that change and think "this is the same thing =
as
> > square root plus an n, so it's the nth square root"
> >
> > The problem is that
> >       _______
> >      /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > is a shorthand notation for
> >       _______
> >    2 /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > and terminology is weird that we say the "square root" instead of =
"second
> > root".
> >
> > --=20
> > My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid.
> > Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want =
> > reply.
>=20

0
xyz3601 (3)
2/13/2004 12:27:56 PM
And since we have gone to power systems explain the use of the square =
root of -1
"Stuart" <xyz@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
Or try explaining the impact of harmonics on three phase power systems.
"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message =
> Jonathan,
>=20
> I agree. In the absence of a number, it's presumed to be 2.
>=20
> As an aside, you should work in audio, where presumptions lead people =
quite
> astray.  My favorite is "RMS Power," a fairly misunderstood and =
essentially
> meaningless term.  It even has to do with squares and square roots.
> --=20
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>=20
> "Jonathan Rynd" <pqaf4hm02@atsneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Not to be picky, but for what it's worth, you're asking for the =
"nth
> > > root of x," not square root.
> >
> > It's the notation that's confusing.  Square root is written like =
this:
> >       _______
> >      /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > but the nth root is written like this:
> >
> >       _______
> >    n /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > It's easy to look at that change and think "this is the same thing =
as
> > square root plus an n, so it's the nth square root"
> >
> > The problem is that
> >       _______
> >      /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > is a shorthand notation for
> >       _______
> >    2 /
> > '\  /   25
> >   \/
> >
> > and terminology is weird that we say the "square root" instead of =
"second
> > root".
> >
> > --=20
> > My email address has an extra @ (spell it out) and an extra invalid.
> > Please remove them if you are not a spammer or list broker and want =
> > reply.
>=20

0
xyz3601 (3)

removing squares and lines in squares that really should be paragr
Exported 4000+ records from outlook to Excel - used the default map and it lumped business address into one field. The problem is that at the end of a line there is a bold line in the cell and when you try to edit the cell the formula bar shows it as a square. I've tried search and replace, but excel doesn't have a special character feature and I'm @ wits end - any ideas? hi, if it is just a line that shows up as a square, do a find and replace all. >-----Original Message----- >Exported 4000+ records from outlook to Excel - used the default map and it >lumped bu...

The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1
I pulling my hair out with is error! I've used an external source to validate my schema against the xml and it succeeds without any errors (http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xsdvalidator/Default.as px) but as soon as I run it through some code it pops up with that error! Here's my code: // Create and setup XML document XmlTextWriter xmlDiskWriter = new XmlTextWriter (fullyQualifiedFilename,Encoding.UTF8); xmlDiskWriter.Formatting = Formatting.Indented; // For easier reading :) xmlDiskWriter.Indentation = 4; // Looks even nicer ... xmlDiskWriter.WriteSta...

weighted least square regression
How can weighted least square regression be done in Excel? See http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/curvefit/ch_fitt5 ..html Assume that the actual x-values range is named XVals, the X values range including the column of all 1s is named X, the weights range is W and the Y values range is Y. Then select the same number of consecutive cells in a column as the number of columns in name X, and enter the *array* formula =MMULT(MINVERSE(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(X),W*X)),MMULT(TRANSPOSE(X),W*Y)). The above formula assumes that all the necessary computations can be done safely. Alter...

Font letter & numbers turning in to empty square boxes
Pub 2003 started to change numbers into empty square boxes. The problem is I have 16 pages and to create or carry over the info would take 2 days to fix. It appears it happens in the present file but the same info in a new pub file works. There are no viruses. XP OS 1 What causes this? 2 Can I import or copy the present file into a new pub2003 filw w/o bringing over the corruption? The troublesome font is Arial Narrow / Garamond but it works fine in all other programs. 3 Can I repair the present pub 2003 file? I have twiddled with this and I can't find anything on the web. It could be a ...

Invisible square parentheses
Some of the sentences in my document appear in square parentheses which are not printable or visible in print layout. What are those? I suppose it is a kind of formatting, but couldn't find it out. Thanks for your help Probably bookmarks, if by "print layout" you mean Print Preview. Bookmark brackets don't print; they can be toggled at Tools | Options | View or the corresponding section of the Word Options in Word 2007. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "gattaccio" <gattac...

Invalid root element with C++ XML generation tool
I have a very strange problem. I created an XSD file with the following root: <Database> </Database> However, since C++ does not allow you to have a property with the same name as the class, when it generates the Strongly typed Dataset, it appends the text "Schema" to the end of the root element. So the Strongly Typed class name is DatabaseSchema. It does this by looking at the id property of the schema. However, this causes a lot of problems when I do a WriteXML on the dataset. It basically generates this: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>...

Squares etc.
Is there a way to build a formula where one is searching for a number squared or cubed etc. Can't figure out one might write it. Don't know if I understand your question but, if you enter: =2^2 you will get 4, and =3^3 and you will get 27. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Me" <wlabexr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e2SnKY2lDHA.2652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... Is there a way to build a formula where one is searching for a ...

how to center a square plot area in a square chart
hi all, i have recorded a macro to produce a square chart containing a square plot. i wish if it's at all possible to have the square plot centered within the chart. is there a way to do this? below is the macro routine that i have recorded in case there is a sub that can be inserted into the macros to center the plot area within the chart area. thank you, jes Sub squareGraph() ' ' squareGraph Macro ' ' On Error GoTo notice ActiveChart.ApplyCustomType ChartType:=xlUserDefined, TypeName:="MyScatter" ActiveChart.Parent.Width = 350 Acti...

How do I a rotate my square radar chart (square->diamond)?
Hi There Helpful People I need to rotate (the whole of my) my square-shaped 'radar' chart 45degrees so that it is diamond-shaped. At the moment the lines of the axes are horizontal and vertical and make a cross-shape (not unlike a + shape) and I need the lines to be on the diagonal (making a X shape). The chart doesn't have a green dot which I could use to rotate the whole chart. What should I do? Is this possible? I'm using Microsoft Excel 2003, part of the Microsoft Office Professional Edition. Many thanks in advance On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, in microsoft.public.exc...

Root Node of Exchange System Manager
Hi i see a GUID string ending with {exchange} in my Exchange System Manager, how do i change this ?? Barry Hi, when you prep your forest for Exchange, without actually installing Exchange (setup.exe /forestprep), you will end up with an Exchange organization that has been given a placholder GUID as a name (looks like {335A1087-. 5131-4D45-BE3E-3C6C7F76F5EC} ) In order to change this, you just have to install Exchange... HTH Ilse "Barry" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:uKmj4VNaFHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi > > i see a GUID stri...

formating cells as a square?
How can I format a cell as an exact square? If I choose the same number for the hight and the width, I get a rectangle not a square. Yes, I can drag the width and hight of a cell with the mouse, than I watch the numbers of pixel in the quickinfo and after I copy the format to other cells. But, is there a better way? Try the response by PaulB in this thread: http://tinyurl.com/8ytqu where he posts a sub MakeSquare for the purpose And here's a link to a sample file with the sub implemented to play with: http://www.savefile.com/files/2349832 MakingCellSquares_Sub_PaulB.xls Steps -----...

Square shaped balloon tips.
Hi, Please suggest me what I can do to display square shaped balloon tips and with controls in them. Thanks. Or how to display controls in Balloon tool tips. "nexolite" wrote: > Hi, > > Please suggest me what I can do to display square shaped balloon tips and > with controls in them. > > Thanks. nexolite wrote: > Or how to display controls in Balloon tool tips. > > "nexolite" wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> Please suggest me what I can do to display square shaped balloon tips and >> with contro...

Cube root
Is there a way to calculate the cube root within excel I have seen the formula SQRT function but there does not apper to be one for the cube root. John, The Nth root of any number is that number raised to the 1/N power, so you can use a formula like =A1^(1/3) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BAF729F-A1E4-4347-9EAA-7C3756C5A535@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to calculate the cube root within excel. > > I have seen the formula S...

Regression Output -- R Square versus Adjusted R Square
The output from the regression function includes output values for both an "R Square" and an "Adjusted R Square". Does anyone know what the difference is between these two values? The equations that are being used to produce them? -- Bonnie GOOGLE IT ADJUSTED R_SQUARE R_Square (the Coefficient of Determination) is the percent of the Total Sum of Squares that is explained; i.e., Regression Sum of Squares (explained deviation) divided by Total Sum of Squares (total deviation). This calculation yields a percentage. It also has a weakness. The denominator is fixed (u...

Need formula for calculating even lots of material based on square feet
How or what formula can I use to calculate an IF statement and then multiply by a set dollar amount in multiples, I am trying to calculate the amount of grout required for an area of floor tile based on the number of square feet. Where one bage of grout covers 100 sqft of tile.Grout is purchased by the bag at $14.00. If I need grout for 150 sqft of tile, I will have to purchase 2 full bags for the job and include the total cost. As the square footage exceeds the 100 square foot increment I require another full bag. I need the formula to give me answers in even bag prices. Thanks, Mike Twid...

Click 1 Excel square, computer highlights 3 vertical squares, why
Using Windows 7, I haven't had any problems until now. When I click on 1 square, the computer highlights 3 verical squares. Did I turn something "on" and not know it? And how do I get it to highlight only the square that I click on? hi i'm assuming that you are talking about excel 07...... some have reported this as a bug and adjusting the zoom usually helps. see this previous post. http://tinyurl.com/3wofsf if you are using 03 or earlier, try tapping the f8 key regards FSt1 "Calbobi" wrote: > Using Windows 7, I haven't had any pro...

2003 Disaster Recovery need a Root domain ?
Does a 2003 Exchange Disaster Recovery setup require a Root Domain DC ? Our real network has an empty Root Domain and a child domain, e.g. xy.xyz.ad All our servers are in the xyz domain and we have cloned this domain and set it up in a test environment to do all our test scenarios. I want to test Exchange DR in this test environment but a DR setup complains that it cannot access the Root Domain. The DC that we have in the test domain has seized 3 FSMO roles, but cannot get the other 2 because they are in the root. Is there a way, given my current environment, to do a DR setup or do I n...

Square Root
How does one calculate the Nth square root of X. Is there a function? Anyone has formula to acomplish this? Thanks for your help. Regards Sadik Hi Sadik try =POWER(value,1/n) or =value^(1/n) Frank Sadik wrote: > How does one calculate the Nth square root of X. Is there > a function? Anyone has formula to acomplish this? Thanks > for your help. > > Regards > Sadik Frank, Thanks a lot. Its so easy when you know it. Thanks. Regards Sadik >-----Original Message----- >Hi Sadik >try >=POWER(value,1/n) >or >=value^(1/n) > >Frank > >Sadik w...

How do I take a square and...
Hi Everyone, I have Publisher 2007. I'm making plans for a wood duck box and I want to make a square and then pull one corner of it slightly down so it looks like the wood duck box is on a slight angle. Is this possible please. Thanks for your time. -- Ron You can draw a square, copy/paste special as a .wmf, ungroup then edit the points. This will allow you to pull down one corner. Publisher also has 3D tools. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Ron" <spiffybrit@cox.net> wrote in message news:C258E4F7-5969-479E-B7CE-CE2FAB77DAF2@microsoft.com... > Hi Ev...

How can I print 11 squared in a report ?
I need to be able to print 11^2 (eleven to the power of two, or eleven squared) with the 2 printed as a superscript. In word it is a piece of cake, but in access I can't seem to do it. I have typed 11 and the 2 as superscript (ie 11 squared) in WORD, and then copied and pasted it into access but when I tried pasting it into a field which is defined as text data type it keeps making it 112 instead of 11 and the 2 superscript. I also pasting it into a text box with a condition, ie if [field]=112, then print11^2 but I can't seem to figure out how to that either. Can someone help me, ...

publisher 2002: fonts print as squares
I have tried the suggestion of reinstalling adobe type manager, removing some font files as microsoft website suggests and still no luck. any suggestions? Hi PAUL (paulipclasalle@aol.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have tried the suggestion of reinstalling adobe type || manager, removing some font files as microsoft website || suggests and still no luck. any suggestions? Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about printer drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix the problems you are encountering. If you have not already done so, you wou...

Squared symbol
Could someone tell me how you do a little 2 for a squared symbol. i.e 6mm2 -- wethery ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wethery's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26637 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401483 Select the 2 in the formula bar, and choose Format-->Cells, and check Superscript. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "wethery" <wethery.1uqlma_1125673504.0912@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:wethery.1uqlma_1125673504.0912...

HOWTO Overcome missing namespace declaration in root node
I am having a problem deserializing XML when the root node is missing a namespace declaration. My Type has an XmlTypeAttribute with a namespace defined. If I attempt to deserialize the XML, I get the dreaded <elementname xmlns=''> was not expected exception. If I comment out the XmlTypeAttribute, it works just fine. Just so you know, when I instantiate an instance of an XmlSerializer, I pass a default namespace to the ctor. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work. So, how can I get the XmlSerializer to accept XML that is missing namespace declarations? -- -- David ...

square brackets in append query
When I create a query and make it an append query the query wizard asks for the table to append and then adds the fields in the append to row but adds square brackets around them and then when I try to run the query complains about the brackets. Is this fixable other than going through the list and removing the brackets? Thanks Brackets often get added to field names in queries (and elsewhere). What is the SQL View of your query that generates the error message. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Franklin" wrote: > When I create a query and make it an append query t...

Square symbol
Hi, I created a Excel sheet by using a DBF. Some cell values contains SQUARE symbols at the end of the line. I opened the same excel sheet in a different machine, but there I cannot see that symbol. My OS is Windows XP and using Office 2003 Pls someone tell me what is the reason for this. Those square symbols represent non-printable characters. You can find out the code of, say, the last one by using this formula: =3DCODE(RIGHT(A1)) It may return 160, which is the code for a non-breaking space character. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 13, 11:37=A0am, "Marc&quo...