Spreadsheet password protection

How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help
section.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the
workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and
then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file,
or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can
give password.

On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different
people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab

--
M Imran Buhary

"bucksguy14" wrote:

> How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help
> section.
0
ibuhary (25)
5/2/2006 5:37:01 AM
Most strange.

I type "password" in the Help Wizard and get hits on protecting the worksheet,
workbook, cells, etc.

Perhaps you should see if you have installed all the appropriate files during
your Office installation.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 May 2006 20:03:01 -0700, bucksguy14
<bucksguy14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help
>section.

0
Gord

Outlook prompts for password even when saved
Anyone know what to do when Outlook 2000 prompts you for the password whenever you try to send/receive mail, even when you've clicked on the Remember Password button? Thanks. are you logged on to windows? I take it you're using 98 ? you need to have a profile you're logged into N "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0f3e01c3bea6$cff71170$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know what to do when Outlook 2000 prompts you for > the password whenever you try to send/receive mail, even > when you've clicked on the Remember Password...

creating spreadsheet with colunms for names adresses & zipcodes
How do I create a spreadsheet with seperate colunms for names, addresses & zipcodes? I want to use this with streets & trips so I can map several adresses at one time. I don't understand the question, if you want to create a spreadsheet you need to type in headers for each needed column, then put the names and addresses in their respective column? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "neilabu" <neilabu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D747DCB4-6EC8-4886-8109-3B72C67046E4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a spreadsheet with seperate colunms for names,...

Maximum spreadsheet sort limit
Morning all, Can someone tell me if Excel 2000 has a maximum sort limit in terms of number of rows? The reason I ask is that the spreadsheet we are currently using is 17000 or so rows and when it is sorted there is still a large number of rows that appear to be unsorted. Thanks in advance for any assistance Paul Paul, I just did a simple test and loaded 60,000+ rows and sorted them.Looks perfect to me. There must be some other factor affecting it. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Paul Townsend" <PaulTownsend@discussions.microsoft.c...

Auto numbering of spreadsheets
I have created an elec application form for use on a telephony section. Each time a user enters the form when a customer rings, I want the form to be numbered automatically, so that each form has a reference number. There is the possibilty that more than one user will open the form at any one time - will they still have seperate IDs? Can this be done? Any help appreciated... Thank you, -- Rob, Teesside, UK "abfabrob" <abfabrob@yahoo.co.uk.NO_SPAM> wrote in message news:DED8584A-3418-4068-8A4D-BC10CBC396C9@microsoft.com... >I have created an elec application form for...

power spreadsheet users wanted for beta tests
The makers of Personal Audio Link, a cellphone_to_VoIP application, are offering six months free Vonage telephone service to beta clients for a new "remote cellphone to PC" sofware. They are looking for power spreadsheet users to sample the software, in exchange for the free Vonage service and comments to the website's user forum re: likes and dislikes, suggestins, etc. http://www.adondo.net/Personal-Audio-Link.htm It allows users to send and receive e-mail by voice, via cell phone, interact w/ & parse records in their Excel spreadsheets by cellphone, from a cellphone, g...

How to change system password after logging to a company?
Hi, I am able to authenticate to GP environment based on sa password. But after logging, when I am navigating, i was not successful. I got error message. How to change sytem password? Unless i change that, I cannot proceed further. Please someone help me in this issue. Thanx in advance, Kiran. Hi tools>setup>system>system password BS "Kiran" <Kiran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13A43E34-DC7F-4018-B9A3-CCEB7500FF58@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I am able to authenticate to GP environment based on sa password. But > afte...

edit a comment while protect sheet is on the cell is unprotected
i want other useres to b able to enter /edit a comment in an unprotected cell when protect sheet is on When protecting the sheet enable "Edit Objects" in the allow users to list. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:20:02 -0800, Rubber 4 u <Rubber4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i want other useres to b able to enter /edit a comment in an unprotected cell >when protect sheet is on ...

Outlook 2002 password Protection
Please help. Changed my password the other day now outlook fails to prompt for the password...just opens the program after double click. Have re-changed the password several times but no luck. Just keeps opening the program with no password prompt. ??????????? "Bob" <bford@countrybankusa.com> wrote in message news:03c301c34cba$e3211510$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Please help. Changed my password the other day now > outlook fails to prompt for the password...just opens the > program after double click. Have re-changed the password > several times but no luck. J...

Filter Switches vs Sheet Protection?
Excel 2000 ... TabSheet contains "Filter" Switches ... However, when I "Protect" TabSheet "Filter" Switches appear to deactivate ... That said ... is there a way to set TabSheet Protection so "Filter" Switches will still work??? Thanks ... Kha I believe with XL2000 you need to use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello", UserInterfaceOnly:=True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With With XL2003 you have the option of setting it when you protect the sheet, or you could use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello&qu...

Howto: Protecting specifig Ranges for inserting Rows
Hi I would like to protect specific Ranges of my Sheet. The users should be able to edit specific CELLS and additionally EDIT cells and INSERTnew Rows intos a specific predefined RANGE. But users should not be able to add Rows in the other parts of the Sheet. Do you know its possible? How to realize that? Markus, If you use a multi-cell array entered formula, Excel will prevent row insertion (or column insertion) within that range. For example, select A1:A10, type =ROW(), then press Ctrl-Shift-Enter. Then select a cell in, say, row 8 and try to insert a new row: Excel will protest, an...

How do I get year to date earnings on a payroll spreadsheet(what'.
I am trying to create a payroll spreadsheet. I want to get the formula for year to date. I would rather not use a 52 column sheet with totals. How can I add the change each week without using a large sheet? If I can offer an opinion: regarding payroll, keep as much information as you can. Payroll is sacred- people literally live by it, and they are VERY concerned that proper records are kept. A Fortune 500 company is judged by its stock price; small and even medium sized companies are judged by whether or not they met payroll. My suggestion is to allow the spreadsheet to be as large as i...

Spreadsheet Formatting
I am having trouble with shared workbooks and their formatting. Th many users who access these workbook and enter data all work i different offices in differenct cities. The files are stored on shared drive so that everyone can access and work on their assigne files. The problem we are having is that after spending a long time formattin the worksheets to look and print the way we would like them, each time new user opens a workbook, the formatting has all changed. (Headers an Footers disappear, isn't set to landscape anymore, etc.) Why is this happening? Is there a way to keep the...

Program not accepting password
I am on Microsoft Money 2005 and have had the .NET password enabled for sometime. Last month when trying to login (mind you the "save password" box has been checked for eternity) I kept getting a message that either my e-mail and/or password were incorrect. I went so far as to change/update my password on the .NET site and still could not open my file. I was able to restore my file from a backup (which accepted the pre-filled password) and keep working. However, this morning I just tried logging in again and same problem. However, when I try to restore the backup, it's not accep...

How do you protect a spreadsheet from being deleted?
I want to protect spreadsheets from being deleted by other users, does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Hi do you mean single tabs?. If yes try 'tools - Protection - Workbook' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany cara_scully wrote: > I want to protect spreadsheets from being deleted by other users, > does anyone know how to do this? > Thanks ...

Outlook .pst password
I was playing around with a password on one of my outlook .pst folders and apparently the password took. As I was just experimenting so I have no idea what the password (I know stupid!) but while doing so I did check the "save my password to my password list" box. Does anyone know anything about where this password list might be and save the day for me as now I cannot access my outlook folder that I "accidentally" did a password protect on? Any assistance would be most appreciated! Jo Anne "Jo Anne" <Jo Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Formatting excel spreadsheet
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do I delete or change the row numbering? I want the numbering to start on the second row, not the first row which has the headings. The rows can't be arbitrarily renumbered � the top row of any given sheet is Row 1 regardless of what [if any] content occupies it. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 1/4/10 4:23 PM, in article 59bb00ff.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "meb@officeformac.com" <meb@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do I ...

Outlook Repeatedly Requests Username & Password
I use Outlook (2003 SP2) to collect mail from a couple of POP3 accounts - Yahoo! and my ISP account. All has been running smoothly for months...until now. Although Username and Pass are 'remembered' (and are correct), every time Outlook performs a send/receive it requests username and password. Ticking 'save this password...' on the pop-up makes no difference. The user and pass are prefilled on this pop-up, but the annoying window often appears more than once per send/receive. There's no other resource accessing the same accounts, the user/pass are correct, and amending ...

cancel charts & graphs on my spreadsheet
How can I cancel my charts & graphs I have on a spread sheet? I have windows XP. Cannot find how to remove them from my spread sheet. Thank you. bluebare Click chart; press Delete key Have you tried this? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "bluebare@92507" <bluebare@92507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E14ACED5-319D-463E-AD7A-D018E9323760@microsoft.com... > How can I cancel my charts & graphs I have on a spread sheet? I have > windows > XP. Cannot find how to remove them from my spread...

Novice
I want to protect every sheet in a workbook with a password. I understand this is tricky, so I will be satisfied if I can write a macro to password protect every sheet, which will save me typing in the password twice for every sheet. I have used macros before by simply recording them, but have no idea how to write the code myself. Please could someone give me some very simple instructions how to write an appropriate macro, or edit one I can easily record. Thanks. Hi, Press Alt + F11 to show the VB Editor window. Find "Book1" or whatever your workbbok is called,...

unable to open password protected PST file...
I have password protected a private PST file. When I open Outlook 2002 and click on the PST file - it asks for my password. If I just click cancel there - I see no way to open that file again unless I quit Outlook and come back in. When I click on the PST file, I would have thought it would have asked for the password again, but it gives a different error and no where can you specify the password... Any ideas? Thanks, Brad Can you clarify why you are clicking on Cancel the first time Outlook prompts for your password? Normally, one would just enter the pw at the prompt and your'...

My spreadsheet only appears in the top left of the page.
My spreadsheet only appears in the top left of the page and I am unable to resize it. You can only view rows 1-17. You can scrool down and across. This is only happening to 1 spreadsheet I created and no others. I'm not quite I understand, but maybe you've frozen the window so that only a portion of the screen is visible. In xl2003 menus, I'd try: Window|Unfreeze panes Terry Evans wrote: > > My spreadsheet only appears in the top left of the page and I am unable to > resize it. You can only view rows 1-17. You can scrool down and across. This > is...

Open an Excel Spreadsheet to a Specfic Worksheet
Good Morning, I have tried the following with no luck... c:/yourfolder/book1.xls#'sheet1'!A1 Any other ideas? Thanks, Jody This worksheet formula worked ok for me: =HYPERLINK("file:////c:/my documents/excel/book2.xls#sheet1!a1","click me") Jody Baldwin wrote: > > Good Morning, > > I have tried the following with no luck... > > c:/yourfolder/book1.xls#'sheet1'!A1 > > Any other ideas? > > Thanks, > > Jody -- Dave Peterson Cannot be done via Command as you are attempting. Sheets cannot be selected to open...

spreadsheet
I'm making a spreadsheet and would like to keep the lines when I print it. How do I do this. Thank you Hi Mary, If you go to File | Page Setup | Sheet (tab) you will be able to check Print Gridlines. Hope this helps. Pete Mary wrote: > I'm making a spreadsheet and would like to keep the lines when I print it. > How do I do this. Thank you Thank you very much. that worked fine. Thanks again. "Pete_UK" wrote: > Hi Mary, > > If you go to File | Page Setup | Sheet (tab) you will be able to check > Print Gridlines. > > Hope this helps. >...

password protect email
Hello, I don't know if this is possible but is they any way to password protect individual emails? I'm not sure if it helps at all, but Exchange 2000 allows you install KMS (Key Management Server), this allows the mail to be signed and encrypted. You can get more info here: -- Sincerely, Muhammed Ismail mismail@online.microsoft.com Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Daniel Suh" <dannys415@hotmail.com> wrote in message...

Error Importing Excel Spreadsheet into Access
I'm trying to import a general excel spreadsheet into access. However, everytime I try to import it, it says there is an error importing the data and that it can not be imported. Also, it doesn't give me any indication to what type of error it is. I've tried pasting the data into a fresh spreadsheet and that still didn't reslove the issue. Does any one have an idea onto why I would be getting this error message? hi Jason- It could be some of the values in the title of a column such as # and @. What kind of data are you importing? Time- Dates- just words? Are there ...