Spacing around text

I have a column of cells containing text. The amount of text varies. I
enter it with word wrap, so the height of each cell adjusts to fit the
text. Therein lies the problem. The text fills the cell from top to
bottom. When I print the column, it looks like a single column of
text.

How can I add some spacing around each block of text so that each is
visually distinct in the printed result?

I tried adding borders, but that just adds clutter.

I don't want to manually resize the cells because I may have as many
as 25,000 entered over a period of months. I don't want to have to
resize it every time I add a new largest cell.
0
infodex (20)
12/28/2008 6:49:41 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

One solution, though far from elegant is to press Alt+Enter at the end of
each line of text.

You could add double bottom borders to all the cells with data.

You could alternate the row color white/blue/white/blue (fill color)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Richard Evans" <infodex@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I have a column of cells containing text. The amount of text varies. I
> enter it with word wrap, so the height of each cell adjusts to fit the
> text. Therein lies the problem. The text fills the cell from top to
> bottom. When I print the column, it looks like a single column of
> text.
>
> How can I add some spacing around each block of text so that each is
> visually distinct in the printed result?
>
> I tried adding borders, but that just adds clutter.
>
> I don't want to manually resize the cells because I may have as many
> as 25,000 entered over a period of months. I don't want to have to
> resize it every time I add a new largest cell.

Paragraph spacing is off
I copied an article from online and pasted into word. The article was single spaced, with a double space between paragraphs. In word, I attempted to change it to double spacing, but there is a triple space between paragraphs. I've tried to get rid of the triple space between paragraphs, but I can't. I want it all to be double spaced, within paragraphs and between paragraphs. How can I get this to happen? Help please! On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:49:01 -0800, gfswolf <gfswolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I copied an article from online and pasted into word....

Load a icon into a static text area.
I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into it. any ideas? You should be having the SS_ICON style on the static. Code like this would work. HICON hIcon = LoadIcon(AfxGetInstanceHandle(), MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDR_MAINFRAME)) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->ModifyStyle(0, SS_ICON) ; ((CStatic*)GetDlgItem(IDC_STATIC1))->SetIcon(hIcon) ; "Chris Baker" <ChrisBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A307A3A1-CB3A-489F-A8D8-8C8DF47B3A2C@microsoft.com... >I have an empty statit text box and I want to load an Icon bitmap into...

Text wrap
how do i wrap text in text box in a text box ...

Extra White Space Between Cells #3
I have several lines of text in two merged cells one above the other and it appears to be spaced correctly, but when I print (or even print preview) there is an extra line space in the document. When I adjust it to print correctly it doesn't all appear on the screen. What am I doing wrong? I need both view and print. Thanks for any help. ...

Spaces
Hi all, I've a field in my form called SR where users should copy a serial number and paste it in this field,I'm worried because some users copy space at the end or at the beginning of this serial,is there a way to make sure that users input this serial without spaces? Ini the AfterUpdate event of the text box, put code to remove all of the spaces: Private Sub SR_AfterUpdate() Me.SR = Trim(Replace(Me.SR, " ", "")) End Sub Alternatively, you could put code into the BeforeUpdate event to make them retype it if they haven't done it correctly: Priva...

Can I convert footnote numbers to text
I'm working with a document where the author has used the automated endnote facility in Word. Since this is about to be translated into Quark for typesetting, I need the endnote marks and the numbers with the endnotes to be real numbers, not endnote marks -- Quark will not read them as numbers. I was sure I did the conversion using ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText in Visual Basic once before, but I can't seem to make it work. Help! There are 20 chapters with about 40 endnotes each. ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText only works with paragraph numbering (and LISTNUM fi...

Problem with Text in Excel 2000 Cell
Not all of the text entered into the cell displays (total text length is 1,881 characters). Cell is set to text format, auto-fit row height, alignment-wrap text. The text that doesn't display is visible in the edit window, but doesn't show in the cell. From Help Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Bill" <william.rooney@aig.com> wrote in message news:0aa301c389dc$32a43aa0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Not al...

How can I reduce the white space in the footnote section?
Word 2007 When I make footnotes a section is automatically created above the footer and with a short left-aligned horizontal line separating it from the main text body of the page. There is a large white space between the first footnote and the horizontal line above it. How can I reduce this white space? Thanks for any help you can give. See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm for information on formatting the footnote separator, which appears to have acquired some Spacing After or perhaps an empty paragraph following. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft ...

Extra White Space down Side of page
i have a standard A4 word doc with a page border - the border and information within are fine however recently when i opn document there is an exra inch of page on the right hand side its just white space. the border stays in and doesnt move out, the white space just appears after about 5 seconds when you open the document. it looks like i need to move all info and borders outwards to make it even but everything wont go out the far and the rulers at the top arent recognising the extra space either. When printing the extra space remains. i have looked at page broders, margins ...

How can I get Pub 2003 to stop creating text boxes when "pasting"?
I am new to MS Publisher 2003 though I have a lot of experience with Pub 2000. I do a newsletter for a fraternal organization each month and it is all done in Publisher. I get a lot of the articles I publish from members via e-mail. In the past, all I had to do was copy the text from the e-mail and paste it into my publication, change the font and its size and I was done. Today was my first "real" experience with Pub 2003 on a new computer. After I copied an e-mail to put in the newsletter I attempted to 'paste' it. What I got was a lot of extra text boxes. In fact, ...

Size of free space
How can I enquire as to the available memory in the free store that I can allocate using the new operator Thanks in advance Nigel I do not think it is that easy. Having 100MB of heap memory available to your process does not mean that you can allocate all of it in a single call to new/malloc. Same thing applies if your address space is fragmented. The free memory could be fragmented, so you would only be able to allocate memory that was as large as the largest fragment, or in the case of address space fragmentation (or exhaustion), only as large as the largest appropriate contigious rang...

how to create a toolbar button to set selected cells to wrap text
In Excel I frequently go to Format Cells, Alignment tab, then select check box to wrap (or not wrap) text. How can I create a toggle button I can put on my toolbar so I can wrap (not wrap) text for the selected cells with just the one mouse click? steve Sub Wrap_Text() With Selection .WrapText = Not .WrapText End With End Sub Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:19:02 -0800, steveguebert <steveguebert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel I frequently go to Format Cells, Alignment tab, then select check >box to wrap (or not wrap) text. How c...

double spacing table in excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC How can you double space the cells, lines, or whole tables within excel 2008? Does this change to double space a cell where text wraps to two lines? <br><br>Thanks. Excel does not have any specific line spacing option such as found in a word processing program, but here are a couple of usable workarounds: 1] Format the cell's Vertical Alignment to Justify then adjust the Row Height to emulate the amount of 'line spacing' you want, or 2] Use Option+Command+return twice to (a) force a...

Outlook email changes spacing from single space to double space
When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" Outlook version 2003 "Bocephus" wrote: > When composing message (using Word as the default), the single space will > change to double space when I send the email. In other words, when I want to > show a single space between paragraphs, I get a double space when I hit "Send" ...

Text field updating problem
Group, I am using the following control source for a text box on my form =DLookUp("[LastOfRoomChangeDate]","res_source_step 2","[RID] = [Forms]![res_residents]![RID]") The lookup was working great, not anymore...now it only updates when clicking the textbox...or waiting until it adds updates it almost a 2 minutes later or by making the textbox the first tab stop...... I am using Access 2007....any ideas to what might be causing it to run this way...or preventing my field from being updated One solution would be to Recalc the form, e.g.: Me.Recalc Ano...

How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight
How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight - I want to see the text within the cell and colour the circle red. I tried inserting a circle from the 'drawing toolbar' but I couldn't see the text in the cell. i have seen Excel worksheets with this feature and would like to emulate it. Thanks, Janev See Tools/Formula checking/Display Formula checking Toolbar/Circle unvalid values Regards, Stefi „Janev” ezt írta: > How do I draw a circle around a cell I want to highlight - I want to > see the text within the cell and colour the circle red. I tried > ...

[Beta] Plain text compose font
Regardless of the setting at [no name tab] > Options > Mail > Compose > Font settings, my composition uses Calibri Regular 12pt Black. This seems to be new to Beta 2 (I can't remember otherwise), but is it like that for everyone? I notice a whole new Compose sub-key with hardly any entries; its contents appear to have been lifted from WLWriter. -- Noel You're right, but it's an improvement. Beta 1 used a horrible 9 pt Times New Roman. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ------------------------------------------------------ "Ildhund" wrote ...

find a space; replace w/no space?
I have a very large dataset with a "Name" field that people have been using with this format: Lastname, Firstname. (Note the space after the comma.) I want to reconfigure the table with 2 separate fields, one for First Name and one for Last Name, so I did the "Text to Columns" thing and split the data into two fields. However, all of the new entries for First Name are now preceded by a space, inherited from the previous format. We're talking thousands of entries here, so not really feasible to manually go into each record and remove the leading space. (I'm...

Rich Text & Sorting
I have a database that I need alphabetical and I want to color code some of the names. I have sorted the database alpahbetically and saved it with a new name. To sort it, I have to use Text format in my first and last name fields. When I have them listed as Rich Text it will not give me the option to sort when I highlight either of those fields. When I go in and change the name fields to Rich Text so that I can color code them, my database reverts back to not being alphabetical. What am I missing or doing wrong? Being able to color code fields is wonderful, so glad they final...

adding cells after stripping numbers out of text fields
I have a time sheet where I want to add the last 3 characters in each of the cells (numbers) to get a grand total for the row. Here's a sample: WED THUR FRI SAT SUN TOTAL N3 - 7.5 N3 - 7.5 N3 - 7.5 N3 - 7.5 If I treat the 5 columns as A to E, the total in cell F2 might be the formula =value(right(A2,3))+value(right(B2,3))+value(right(C2,3))+value (right(D2,3))+value(right(E2,3)) The problem is that the cell B2 (THUR) is blank so Excel interprets this as an error. Can anyone offer me a formula that will work if it is blank? I also will have a total of 14 cells to add...

Access 2007 where's the spacing tool?
Hi all, I'm using Access 2007 for the first time (always have used 2000) and I'm designing a form, and I can't seem to find the spacing tool (horizontal, vertical make equal increase decrease). Googling turns up only info on 2003 - PLEASE tell me this functionality was not dropped - manually setting labels et al to be equidistant is incredibly time consuming!! TIA, -- SusanV It's on the Arrange tab of the ribbon (right hand end.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rat...

How to get the text from another window?
hi,all For example, In MSDN help program, there are many items in the left list box when you type whatever key word. Can I get these itmes' text in anohter program? I did a test, put a CListBox in a dialog and then , in another program, get the handle of this list box and use list.Attach(handle) , then you can get all text by the list. But in msdn help program, it is not a CListBox, how to do that? Is possible? Thanks What exactly do you mean by the MSDN list box? Are you talking about the part of the Index where the topics are listed? -- Alec S. alec <@> synetech &l...

Removing Spaces from Text
Hello Everybody, I have a table of numbers where each number is preceded by a space. This makes the content seem as "Text" to Excel. However, I want to convert this text in to proper "Numbers" so that I can perform some operations on them. I tried using a macro to do the job. However, on running the macro, the values of the cells are also modified. This is not the desired result. Anybody who knows of a solution, please help me. Hopefully, Satyajit Bhagwat Hi A couple of things to try - using a helper column alongside your existing data. =VALUE(A2) might do the tri...

How do I insert a row (space) between bulleted (#) paragraphs?
I would like to insert a row or space between numbered paragraphs. When I press Enter 2 times then a I get several blank rows (spaces) between the paragraphs and when I try to delete the extra rows to get just one row between the paragraphs, it automatically goes back to where it was before, no row or space between the numbered paragraphs. I would appreciate your help in figuring this out. Thank you. Apply some Spacing After (or Spacing Before) to the bulleted paragraphs. You'll find that setting in the Paragraph dialog box. To open the dialog box: - Click Format | Para...

Text to Columns Help
Can someone show me how to convert a column of data filled with information like this: 2.756.00-9,86259,172.00-45,953275,718.00 to 6 columns like this: 2.75 6.00 -9,862 59,172.00 -45,953 275,728.00 You could use the =MID function to chop it up, BUT, the formats of all 6 numbers would have to be the same all the time. for example =MID(a1,5,4) would give you 6.00, but that number would always have to start in the 5th position and be 4 characters long. "MarkHuether" wrote: > Can someone show me how to convert a column of data filled with information >...