Sorting spreadsheet data - curious

I'm using Excel 2002 and have a workbook with 3 identical worksheets in it.
I have frozen the top 5 rows, using them for headers.
On one sheet, when I want to sort the data starting in cell A6, I go to that
cell and then to Data & Sort.  The window that opens, opens properly  - with
the "No header row" button selected.
The window that opens for the other sheets has the "Header row" button
selected and the data doesn't sort the first row.
Why the discrepancy?  And how do I get the "No header row" button to be the
default?

0
pchatmod (6)
3/18/2008 10:30:50 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Can you post a sample of the top 6 rows?

Thx,
JP

On Mar 18, 6:30=A0pm, "- Butch" <pchat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm using Excel 2002 and have a workbook with 3 identical worksheets in it=
..
> I have frozen the top 5 rows, using them for headers.
> On one sheet, when I want to sort the data starting in cell A6, I go to th=
at
> cell and then to Data & Sort. =A0The window that opens, opens properly =A0=
- with
> the "No header row" button selected.
> The window that opens for the other sheets has the "Header row" button
> selected and the data doesn't sort the first row.
> Why the discrepancy? =A0And how do I get the "No header row" button to be =
the
> default?

0
jp2112 (204)
3/18/2008 11:54:36 PM
Excel guesses if it thinks there is a header row or not. It does this by
comparing the data in the top row of your block, and if this differs from
the data in the rest of the block it will guess that there is a header row.

To avoid this guess, ensure that the data in your block is all formatted the
same.

By the way, you can't attach files to newsgroup postings.

Hope this helps.

Pete
"- Butch" <pchatmod@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sample sheet.   The entire sheets are about 14 columns by 70 rows.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "JP" <jp2112@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Can you post a sample of the top 6 rows?
>

> Thx,
> JP
>
> On Mar 18, 6:30 pm, "- Butch" <pchat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm using Excel 2002 and have a workbook with 3 identical worksheets in
>> it.
>> I have frozen the top 5 rows, using them for headers.
>> On one sheet, when I want to sort the data starting in cell A6, I go to
>> that
>> cell and then to Data & Sort. The window that opens, opens properly -
>> with
>> the "No header row" button selected.
>> The window that opens for the other sheets has the "Header row" button
>> selected and the data doesn't sort the first row.
>> Why the discrepancy? And how do I get the "No header row" button to be
>> the
>> default?

0
pashurst (2576)
3/19/2008 1:24:53 AM
    Hey, I got your sample by email. If you want to select a single
cell in a range and have Excel "know" how to sort it, it has to be
surrounded by whitespace -- at least one blank row/column around the
data. (Obviously if your header is in row 1, this doesn't apply.)
    Plus, the header row has to be immediately above the data,
completely filled in (i.e. no blank cells in the header row) and it
must be offset somehow by using Bold, Italics, Fill coloring, etc, so
Excel can automatically identify it as the header row. And It can't be
two rows.
    Your data doesn't have a header row immediately above the data,
and there is no blank row above the header that is there, and the
header spans two rows, so Excel is confused. Even if you highlighted
the data you want to sort, Excel wouldn't know what to do because
there is a blank row between the data and the headers.

HTH,
JP

On Mar 18, 6:30=A0pm, "- Butch" <pchat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm using Excel 2002 and have a workbook with 3 identical worksheets in it=
..
> I have frozen the top 5 rows, using them for headers.
> On one sheet, when I want to sort the data starting in cell A6, I go to th=
at
> cell and then to Data & Sort. =A0The window that opens, opens properly =A0=
- with
> the "No header row" button selected.
> The window that opens for the other sheets has the "Header row" button
> selected and the data doesn't sort the first row.
> Why the discrepancy? =A0And how do I get the "No header row" button to be =
the
> default?

0
jp2112 (204)

copying data
Getting errors when copying data from workbook to workbook. Shutdown and restart allows without errors. ...

illegal operation: When I open a spreadsheet!!
I have a spread sheet and when i open it gives me the error message windows based, this program has prefomed an illegal operation and will be shut down, if the program persits contact the program vendor: EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 0167:308d03a5. Registers: EAX=00629c74 CS=0167 EIP=308d03a5 EFLGS=00010212 EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00628684 EBP=0062868c ECX=00000002 DS=016f ESI=00000000 FS=52cf EDX=00000008 ES=016f EDI=00629c74 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 a5 8b ca 83 e1 03 f3 a4 5f 5e 5d c3 8b 4d 10 Stack dump: ffffffd8 00000000 00629db4 3022634b 00629c74 0000000...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

sorts not sorting

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

import- number- sort?

sorting macro #3

How to turn off editing after I have created a spreadsheet with macros
I have created a spreadsheet with macros and when I call the spreadsheet up on another computer and I click on the buttons I created it takes me to viusal basic to edit. How do I turn this off so I can run the macros? If you need more info please email me. I have tried it on 3 computers and one of the computers will run the macros, but the rest just go into what I call edit mode instead of running the macros. Any help would really be appreciated.--Gary ...

Sorting checking register

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Compressing Data in Sheet
Hi, I have a sheet with several pieces of data arranged like so: Column 1 Column 2 a.dll ! 0x000001234 56 a.dll ! 0x000001234 64 a.dll ! 0x000001234 72 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 c.dll ! 0x012345890 100 How do I compress the repeated sets of say a.dll into one row with all values pertaining to a.dll in column 2 summed up so to read something like: a.dll ! 0x0000001234 182 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 etc ??? Thanks If the data is sorted by column A, you could add headers (in row 1) and then use Data|subtotals...

Getting Data out of MS CRM
What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to migrate it to another CRM system? Woud the Data Migration tool work for this? I've never used it. If you want all the data, and all the customisations, the best option is to use SQL backup and restore, and the CRM redeployment tool against the restored database. Using the Data Migration tool will be hard work for this, and has some noticeable limitations, such as it can't be used for custom entities "mscrmuser" wrote: > What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to > migrate...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...

Cannot set the LOCALE IDENTIFIER of the data source
In order to use the "translations" feature of Sql Server Analysis Services 2008 we need to set the locale identifier of the OLEDB connection string. However, it doesn't seem to be possible in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to reproduce the problem. 1- Open Excel 2007 2- Data > From other sources > From Analysis Services 3- Select a server and a database (it doesn't matter which), click next, click finish 4- Click properties, clear the "retrieve data and errors in the Office display language" checkbox, go to the definition tab, add "Locale Identifie...

How to paste a data file into a spreadsheet including formulas?
I use Excel 2000, and I have a spreadsheet that I have been updating by hand. The data is getting fairly large now, so I am in the process of writing a perl script to generate a text file containing the data, separated by tabs, so that I can just copy everything in the text file and paste it into the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet does have some columns that do some arithmetic calculations. I can easily have the perl script perform those calculations itself, so that all the values in the text file are "hard coded". But the problem is that there will be a few errors in my data strea...

sorting issue
Hi, When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one column empty cells above the sort display first. How can this be prevented. I know when there is data in any of the other column but not on the column being sorted this will happen. Any thoughts? Pat Are you sure the cells are really empty? They don't contain spaces or even formulas that evaluate to "". (Even formulas converted to values that returned "")? Pat wrote: > > Hi, > > When a range of columns are highlighted and a sort is performed on only one > column em...

Pivot Table Data Source
Where in 2007 can I change the data source for a pivot table to look at the first pivot table I created (instead of looking directly at the raw data sheet)? ...

Sort not sorting all rows
I'm using Excel 2000. have created a document, uploaded it to google docs and spreadsheets, exported it as a doc, converted it to a spreadsheet (excel) and uploaded it again to google docs. It's not a complicated file - no calculations or anything, just a simple log to enable us to collaborate on change requests and website faults. New requests are assigned a number incrementally one higher than the previous. So we need to sort on the Log number column to see what the last logged number was. However, it sorts most of the spreadsheet and leaves the same 5 rows unsorted at the...