Sorting in Excel like in Window Explorer

Hello,

I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
DE032304NL0324.

Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
in the Windows Explorer?

Thank you very much for you help in advance.

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Dolly -

How are your files sorted in Explorer?  If they are sorted by date, for
example, then your extract must include the file date, and you can sort on
that in Excel.
--
Daryl S

"Dolly" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

How are you extracting these? Using VBA in Excel or just a command line
dump out to a text file?

Dolly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. However,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to check
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same as
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

0
AdamV
11/19/2009 7:12:34 AM
On Nov 18, 2:07=A0am, Dolly <Do...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just extract a list of file names from a folder to an excel file. Howev=
er,
> the sorting method in the Explorer is different from that in Excel, but I
> need print both of them in the same order. I need the excel files to chec=
> the copies printed from the files in the folders. There are handreds of
> files. The file names contain both number and letters, such as:
> DE032304NL0324.
>
> Is there any way to change the sorting methods in the Excel to the same a=
> in the Windows Explorer?
>
> Thank you very much for you help in advance.

check this out:
http://excelexperts.com/VBA-List-Files-In-Folder
- then you can sort how you want.

0
Nick
11/19/2009 4:23:42 PM
Visit www.ExcelGoodies.Com
0
herochenna (62)

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

sorting macro #3

Internet explorer windows closes even with IE popup blocker disabl
Hi, When I launch crm, it closes the internet explorer. I fount a solution by disabling the popup blocker from IE. There are no other popup blockers installed om that machine. It stil does not work. Is there an other thing I have to change ? Check for other popup blockers like the Google toobar. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:44:06 -0800, KBO <KBO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi, When I launch crm, it closes the internet explorer. I fount a solution by disabling the po...

difference between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002
I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 Go to John Walkenbach's site www.j-wal.com Lots of info there. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Eleanor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD9A6D01-EA2F-4031-B6C6-99E2E2DD0EE3@microsoft.com... > I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C3F6CA.F29BA860 Content-Type: multipart/alt...

macro in excel to copy from excel to word
i have a database in excel...which i would like to take more advantag of. I also have some forms in Word that I was hoping to be able to get the to be automatically completed using the excel database. Initially thought this would be quite simple.... just record the macr then modify it to suit. This using simple copy from excel and paste into word document, o pasting into form..field..values. I have done a little before with excel macros - to a level of 'usin excel programming for dummies' book. But really do not know where t start now. Have seen this: "Dim appWD As Word.Appl...

Can you use an in-line method like this in C#?
Can you do this in C#? FKCreatedBy = (aspnet_Membership.Key != null ? aspnet_Membership.Key : GetGuestGuid()); (this is the method GetGuestGuid) public static Guid GetGuestGuid() { // Guest is declared as a private const elsewhere aspnet_Membership am = aspnet_Membership.GetUser(Guest); return am.UserId; } When I run the code in debug mode I can see that it's returning a GUID in return am.UserId, but this is never assigned to FKCreatedBy. Thoughts? Thanks Edward And this FKCreatedBy line is called fro...

How do I format the tabs of a worksheet in Excel?
I am wondering if there is way to change the font size, font color, or tab color so it is easier to keep my sheets straight. I dont really want to make a table of contents or anything like that, I just need certain sheets to stand out more than others. If you have Excel 02, you can change the colors by right clicking on the tabs, If your version is earlier, you are out of luck "s_e_morin" wrote: > I am wondering if there is way to change the font size, font color, or tab > color so it is easier to keep my sheets straight. I dont really want to make > a table of...

How do I set up my expense/income statement in excel?

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

Excel Oddity
Dear all, Someone showed me an if statement, which was not working. The cells to which it referred were all formatted correctly (currency / accountancy) yet the statement returned an error. I deleted the cells in the logical test and re-entered them...I did not change the formatting, and this time it worked. To the best of my knowledge currency signs, commas etc were not entered manually but via cell formatting. Anyone met this before? Thanks Danny Perhaps you could post the formula in question. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www...

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

import- number- sort?

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Sorting checking register

e-mail/ explorer will not allow attachments
Upon switching to a new computer and running xp i recieve the following : AOE has removed attachments > This is everyone I get in an e-mail Is this fix in outlook options or in IE properties Thanks ...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...