sorting dates in Excel 97

Running a worksheet that lists all medical expenses and am not able to
always insert date, expense, who to, in correct sequence. Some postings just
come in on time. Is there a sort formula that will allow me to sort these
entries in sequence? Will the sorting move up the entire row that lists
date, amount, payable to, etc. also? Thank you, Steve T.

0
stumas (15)
8/2/2006 8:26:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I wouldn't use any formulas for this.

I'd select the range (all the columns in that range, plus the last row of
headers, plus all the data) and do Data|Sort

If you include all the columns that should move with the sort, you'll be fine.

But save your file first, then double check it after.  If it didn't work ok,
just close without saving and reopen and try again.

--

Dave Peterson
0
>I wouldn't use any formulas for this.
>
> I'd select the range (all the columns in that range, plus the last row of
> headers, plus all the data) and do Data|Sort
>
> If you include all the columns that should move with the sort, you'll be
> fine.
>
> But save your file first, then double check it after.  If it didn't work
> ok,
> just close without saving and reopen and try again.
>
> Steve T wrote:
>>
>> Running a worksheet that lists all medical expenses and am not able to
>> always insert date, expense, who to, in correct sequence. Some postings
>> just
>> come in on time. Is there a sort formula that will allow me to sort these
>> entries in sequence? Will the sorting move up the entire row that lists
>> date, amount, payable to, etc. also? Thank you, Steve T.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
stumas (15)

Sorting

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

How to sort account list?

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Row names will not move with sort

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

Microsoft Query criteria syntax for date() or today()
Essentially, I need MS Query syntax for a calculation based on today's date. I'm using Microsoft Query from inside Excel to extract data from an ODBC database. I want to download everything with a date of, say, in the last 60 days. I can't find any documentation for Microsoft Query and its Help doesn't seem to address this. I've tried Excel and Access systax such as >Date()- 60 and =Today()-60. I've tried copying in the SQL text created by Access. I don't know how to say "Today" or "Now" or "Date". Any help out there? ...

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

sorts not sorting

How do I set up my expense/income statement in excel?

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

Excel Oddity
Dear all, Someone showed me an if statement, which was not working. The cells to which it referred were all formatted correctly (currency / accountancy) yet the statement returned an error. I deleted the cells in the logical test and re-entered them...I did not change the formatting, and this time it worked. To the best of my knowledge currency signs, commas etc were not entered manually but via cell formatting. Anyone met this before? Thanks Danny Perhaps you could post the formula in question. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www...

Highlight date nearest to TODAY()
Hi I have dates in a column in this format : 16/01/2010 16/02/2010 16/03/2010 16/04/2010 16/05/2010 16/06/2010 I'm trying to set the conditional formatting so that the nearest date to today is in bold. Can someone help with this? Grateful for any advice. Best Wishes Define nearest. If these were your dates: 15/3/2010 17/3/2010 And today was 16/3/2010 Which is the nearest date? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iw0DNgAaMDoLFwgB@chayes.demon.co.uk... >...

How do I format the tabs of a worksheet in Excel?
I am wondering if there is way to change the font size, font color, or tab color so it is easier to keep my sheets straight. I dont really want to make a table of contents or anything like that, I just need certain sheets to stand out more than others. If you have Excel 02, you can change the colors by right clicking on the tabs, If your version is earlier, you are out of luck "s_e_morin" wrote: > I am wondering if there is way to change the font size, font color, or tab > color so it is easier to keep my sheets straight. I dont really want to make > a table of...

import- number- sort?

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

macro in excel to copy from excel to word
i have a database in excel...which i would like to take more advantag of. I also have some forms in Word that I was hoping to be able to get the to be automatically completed using the excel database. Initially thought this would be quite simple.... just record the macr then modify it to suit. This using simple copy from excel and paste into word document, o pasting into form..field..values. I have done a little before with excel macros - to a level of 'usin excel programming for dummies' book. But really do not know where t start now. Have seen this: "Dim appWD As Word.Appl...

date formula #2
Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the date, ie. if today is 17 November 2003, i want to import data from date 1 Novemeber 2003 how would i do this and what formulae would i use? any idea ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com =today()-1 GB "jaggosai" <jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jaggosai.x32sz@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hi i am trying for a way to work out how i can formulate the dat...

difference between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002
I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 Go to John Walkenbach's site www.j-wal.com Lots of info there. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Eleanor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD9A6D01-EA2F-4031-B6C6-99E2E2DD0EE3@microsoft.com... > I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C3F6CA.F29BA860 Content-Type: multipart/alt...

sorting macro #3

Excel date problems
Our company uses a report writer/formatter that creates Excel spreadsheets and then sends them as email attachments to specified users. The data being formatted is coming from a file shipped to the report software from an I5 environment. The data coming in is in the format mmddyyyy but some of the cells in the SS are being converted to ddmmyyyy. When this problem occurs it only happens for months 10, 11, and 12. These dates are being used in calculations so this is a big problem. We are using Excel 2003. Any ideas? ...

date formatting a cell
When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi you have to enter the date with delimiters. so you have to enter 2/6/04 If you want Excel to automatic convert numbers you have to use VBA. Have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm for an example event procedure Frank vos wrote: > When I use the date formatting in a cell i.e. m/d/yy and enter my > numbers i.e 2604, I get 2/16/07. Can you help me Hi that is the way Excel handles date inputs. As Excel stores dates internally as numbers it does ...

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...