Sorting data question

Hi,

I have 200 rows of data in one colum, each row contains a random number
but the total column value is 200. I want to sort the data into 4
approximately equal sized blocks (adding up to 50). Just a bit stuck as
to where to start the filtering process if there is one that can do
this?

Cheers

Chris

0
Chris
6/20/2005 10:12:23 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Calendaring question
Hello there. Outlook XP in a networked environment. A manager has granted "editor" rights to his secretary for his calendar. Here are the issues: 1. The manager wants only to receive meeting requests sent to him. He does not want to receive anything else. 2. From the manager's workstation I go to tools >options > delegates> make the secratary an editor >. From that point it seems you basically have an all or nothing choice. If I choose the option "Delegate receives copies of meeting-related messages sent to me" ...then the manager will receive all ...

copying data
Getting errors when copying data from workbook to workbook. Shutdown and restart allows without errors. ...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

VBA Newbie listbox question
How do i add stuff to a second column in vba.. i feel really stupid but i've tried endlessly and searched the internet with no joy... Also how can i use info from a particular column.. eg. Surname/name are 2 column headings (assuming i can get stuff in the 2nd colum) i wanna take data from 'surname' without takin the 'name' data with it... I know this is really simple basic stuff so can someone put me out of my misery? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ -bump-..... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Devitt Try these Populate Multi...

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Trendline partial data
I am trying to add a trendline to a process variable on a line-chart and use it to predict when remedial action is required. When the data parameter is reset, the trendline automatically takes in this new set of figures and attaches it to the previous, giving a totally skewed analysis. Is there any way that I can select only some of the data to trend? Then as the reset data grows, only to select the new series from the process? Thanks Hi David, Jon Peltier has a site that mentioned about dynamic charts which I find useful and you might want to check this out. http://peltier...

Row names will not move with sort

sorts not sorting

Aligning data with varying decimal places
I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals line up, without adding trailing zeroes? one way: Format/Cells/Number/Custom 0.??? In article <DD9B0C05-0A1D-4A5A-99F4-BB8030D9F7F2@microsoft.com>, edpaul <edpaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a column of cells in which the data include various numbers of decimal > places. Is there a way to align the data vertically so that the decimals > line up, without adding trailing zeroes? ...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 upgrade question
Exch 5.5 to 2003 upgrade question We are running one (1) Exchange 5.5 server on a Windows NT 4.0 box and would like to migrate over to a new box running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. I understand that I must first upgrade my NT 4.0 domain to Active Directory and DNS (so let's just say that I have done that). I will install Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a NEW box and join the Exchange 5.5 site. After that I will do a move mailbox to start moving people over to the new mail server. Here is my question: Let's say that my 5.5 server has 300 mailboxes that I have to move...

import- number- sort?

Representing Dual Data in a Stacked Bar Chart
Here is my data: Location Flowers Trees Year 1 Year 2 Year 1 Year 2 Texas 55 63 36 14 Florida 67 75 24 21 NJ 32 27 52 10 Colorado 35 41 35 9 California 84 126 78 39 I want a stacked bar chart that shows Flowers & Trees for Year 1 next to another stacked bar for Year 2, grouped by location shown along the X axis. Please help, all I could come up with is a Stacked bar for Year 1, overlayed by 2 separate line graphs for Flowers/Yr2 and Trees/Yr2. -- VB On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, VB <VB@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want...

Data and Color calculations
I need to find a way to get total for a particular name. I work in a vineyard and we want to track how many of each vine we have. we have our rows and blocks of vines in a spread sheet. I now have to sort by name then count how many of each vine we have. I also assign the vines a color based on when they will be harvested. Can excel do the above type of calculation based on sum or total of a particular color Thanks so much for any help Ron redwards(at)ap.net Hi Ron, Try something like this modified to suit your ranges. Does not count Conditional Formatting colors. Dave McRitchie has a...

Pivot Table
Hi! What is the maximum rows allowed in a data range when using a pivot table? I have a pivot table that uses a data range. When I have only 4581 records in the data range, the pivot table updates with no problems. But, when entering more than 4581, the pivot table won't update and gives me an error. Am I hitting the max on data rows within my data range or is there a work-around. Thanks!! dmotika The following MSKB articles outline PivotTable limitations for different versions of Excel: XL2000: Limits of PivotTables in Microsoft Excel 2000 http://support.microsoft.com/de...

I am trying to project out a line graph based on data
Hi, I have made a line chart based on some data for a fiften year period. I would like to plot out the future points for a thirty year period based on this data. Does anyone know how to do this? To perform a line projection, first click on the series the you would like to forecast. Go to Chart -> Add Trendline. The "options" tab will allow you to project the trend forward. You will probably want to use the "linear" option. It can also provide an equation which would allow you to manually calculate a future projection as opposed to using the trendline. -- Jo...

sorting macro #3

Sorting checking register

Auto-entering data from another sheet
Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to automatically enter data from one sheet into the next by a text prompt. For example: On sheet 2 I will have 3 static columns that will have data entered in the format: text / text / number respectively. On sheet one I want to be able to enter the text from the first column on sheet two and have excel automatically fill in 2 other cells with the data from cell B and C from sheet 2. For example: Sheet 2 contains hello / how / 123 in row 1 and column A,B,C. I enter: hello (on sheet 1 cell A) and in cell B and C I automatically get...

Compressing Data in Sheet
Hi, I have a sheet with several pieces of data arranged like so: Column 1 Column 2 a.dll ! 0x000001234 56 a.dll ! 0x000001234 64 a.dll ! 0x000001234 72 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 c.dll ! 0x012345890 100 How do I compress the repeated sets of say a.dll into one row with all values pertaining to a.dll in column 2 summed up so to read something like: a.dll ! 0x0000001234 182 b.dll ! 0x012345689 89 etc ??? Thanks If the data is sorted by column A, you could add headers (in row 1) and then use Data|subtotals...

Getting Data out of MS CRM
What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to migrate it to another CRM system? Woud the Data Migration tool work for this? I've never used it. If you want all the data, and all the customisations, the best option is to use SQL backup and restore, and the CRM redeployment tool against the restored database. Using the Data Migration tool will be hard work for this, and has some noticeable limitations, such as it can't be used for custom entities "mscrmuser" wrote: > What is the best way to get all the data out of MS CRM in order to > migrate...

How to paste a data file into a spreadsheet including formulas?
I use Excel 2000, and I have a spreadsheet that I have been updating by hand. The data is getting fairly large now, so I am in the process of writing a perl script to generate a text file containing the data, separated by tabs, so that I can just copy everything in the text file and paste it into the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet does have some columns that do some arithmetic calculations. I can easily have the perl script perform those calculations itself, so that all the values in the text file are "hard coded". But the problem is that there will be a few errors in my data strea...

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...