Sorting across columns in Excel 2003

I'm using Office 2003 and the Excel module.
I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns.  Columns A and C include names and
phone number of people.  Column B is just a blank divider.

If I have the sheet alphabetized, with 10 names and numbers in column A and
10 in column B,  I occasionally will go to the sheet and add someone else's
name.  I add it either at the bottom of column A or C.  I then highlight A
and C and ask to have it sorted alphbetically.  Can't do it!!

Only thing I've been able to do is "cut" the 10 names from column C and
paste them under the 10 names in column A, add any names I want, sort column
A and then cut the bottom portion (at halfway point) of column A and paste
it to the top of column C.  I then have my two-column list of
people/phones, alphabetized A1-10 and C1-10.  (i.e. alphabetical list starts
at top of A and goes down column A until reaches half of the entries and
then jumps up to top of C and progresses, alphbetically down to the end.)

There's gotta be a better way!!!

Thanks.

Chet

0
nospam2791 (369)
1/19/2005 1:31:15 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you're just keeping track of lists (no calculations), you may want to use
MSWord.

You can insert a table and format the page for multiple columns.

You can sort/insert/delete entries, too.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks.

Chet

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If you're just keeping track of lists (no calculations), you may want to
use
> MSWord.
>
> You can insert a table and format the page for multiple columns.
>
> You can sort/insert/delete entries, too.
>
> CGB wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Office 2003 and the Excel module.
> > I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns.  Columns A and C include names and
> > phone number of people.  Column B is just a blank divider.
> >
> > If I have the sheet alphabetized, with 10 names and numbers in column A
and
> > 10 in column B,  I occasionally will go to the sheet and add someone
else's
> > name.  I add it either at the bottom of column A or C.  I then highlight
> > and C and ask to have it sorted alphbetically.  Can't do it!!
> >
> > Only thing I've been able to do is "cut" the 10 names from column C and
> > paste them under the 10 names in column A, add any names I want, sort
column
> > A and then cut the bottom portion (at halfway point) of column A and
paste
> > it to the top of column C.  I then have my two-column list of
> > people/phones, alphabetized A1-10 and C1-10.  (i.e. alphabetical list
starts
> > at top of A and goes down column A until reaches half of the entries and
> > then jumps up to top of C and progresses, alphbetically down to the
end.)

> > There's gotta be a better way!!!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chet
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
nospam2791 (369)
1/19/2005 3:04:00 AM
CGB wrote:
> I'm using Office 2003 and the Excel module.
> I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns.  Columns A and C include names and
> phone number of people.  Column B is just a blank divider.
>
> If I have the sheet alphabetized, with 10 names and numbers in column A and
> 10 in column B,  I occasionally will go to the sheet and add someone else's
> name.  I add it either at the bottom of column A or C.  I then highlight A
> and C and ask to have it sorted alphbetically.  Can't do it!!
>
> Only thing I've been able to do is "cut" the 10 names from column C and
> paste them under the 10 names in column A, add any names I want, sort column
> A and then cut the bottom portion (at halfway point) of column A and paste
> it to the top of column C.  I then have my two-column list of
> people/phones, alphabetized A1-10 and C1-10.  (i.e. alphabetical list starts
> at top of A and goes down column A until reaches half of the entries and
> then jumps up to top of C and progresses, alphbetically down to the end.)
>
> There's gotta be a better way!!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

you should highlight columns A, B and C.
0
itguru (22)
1/19/2005 3:58:10 AM
Highlight all three columns before sorting, as suggested. Or put a space
character somewhere in column B so Excel doesn't think it's a completely
empty column.

Bill

"NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
CGB wrote:
> I'm using Office 2003 and the Excel module.
> I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns.  Columns A and C include names
> and
> phone number of people.  Column B is just a blank divider.
>
> If I have the sheet alphabetized, with 10 names and numbers in column
> A and
> 10 in column B,  I occasionally will go to the sheet and add someone
> else's
> name.  I add it either at the bottom of column A or C.  I then
> highlight A
> and C and ask to have it sorted alphbetically.  Can't do it!!
>
> Only thing I've been able to do is "cut" the 10 names from column C
> and
> paste them under the 10 names in column A, add any names I want, sort
> column
> A and then cut the bottom portion (at halfway point) of column A and
> paste
> it to the top of column C.  I then have my two-column list of
> people/phones, alphabetized A1-10 and C1-10.  (i.e. alphabetical list
> starts
> at top of A and goes down column A until reaches half of the entries
> and
> then jumps up to top of C and progresses, alphbetically down to the
> end.)
>
> There's gotta be a better way!!!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

you should highlight columns A, B and C.

0
bsharpe (111)
1/19/2005 10:44:11 PM
Sorry, tried all suggestions and still can't get it.  I'll play some more
and repost.

Chet

"Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Highlight all three columns before sorting, as suggested. Or put a space
> character somewhere in column B so Excel doesn't think it's a completely
> empty column.
>
> Bill
>
> "NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
> CGB wrote:
> > I'm using Office 2003 and the Excel module.
> > I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns.  Columns A and C include names
> > and
> > phone number of people.  Column B is just a blank divider.
> >
> > If I have the sheet alphabetized, with 10 names and numbers in column
> > A and
> > 10 in column B,  I occasionally will go to the sheet and add someone
> > else's
> > name.  I add it either at the bottom of column A or C.  I then
> > highlight A
> > and C and ask to have it sorted alphbetically.  Can't do it!!
> >
> > Only thing I've been able to do is "cut" the 10 names from column C
> > and
> > paste them under the 10 names in column A, add any names I want, sort
> > column
> > A and then cut the bottom portion (at halfway point) of column A and
> > paste
> > it to the top of column C.  I then have my two-column list of
> > people/phones, alphabetized A1-10 and C1-10.  (i.e. alphabetical list
> > starts
> > at top of A and goes down column A until reaches half of the entries
> > and
> > then jumps up to top of C and progresses, alphbetically down to the
> > end.)
> >
> > There's gotta be a better way!!!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chet
> >

> you should highlight columns A, B and C.

0
nospam2791 (369)

Sorting

How to sort account list?

How to Merge Date from 3 columns to 1
I have a spreadsheet where the date is spread over 3 columns I,J & K and I wish to merge them to Column B in the format dd-mmm-yyyy as shown below. B I J K 02-Feb-2003 02 Feb 2003 27-Mar-1999 27 Mar 1999 01-Apr-1978 Apr 1978 01-Jan-1998 1998 14-Jun-2002 14 Jun 2002 Where there is a blank for the day in 'Column I' I need it to copy as 01 and where there is a blank for the month in 'Column J' I need it to copy as Jan. Where all 3 column...

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Unhiding Column A
I am using Excel 2003 SP2 and I have a spreadsheet with column A missing. I have followed all the Help Menu advice. I can navigate to column A and hit Format Column Unhide or Format Column Width, but to no avail. It is either hidden or set to zero width, but in any case, it will NOT show up. I have searched all the group postings, been to Microsoft.com help (yea, right) and done everything I can think of. Even installed a macro I found to unhide columns by macro. Any help would be most appreciated. John13 try selecting the cells button to the left of the column headers and on top o...

Comparing and extracting from two columns
Hi all, I have two columns of data. Column A is a list of approx. 20,000 ZIP codes, column B is a selected list of approx. 1600 ZIP codes. How can I compare the two and remove all of the entries in A except those that match B. I would also like to have A sorted so that the identical entries line up with B. There may be entries in B that are not in A, so I would like A to contain a blank cell where the match would be. I used =IF(VLOOKUP(B1,A:A,1,FALSE),"MATCH","") to highlight the matching ZIP codes in A, but that does not remove the unwanted ZIP codes or sort them...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

How do I transfer data from Notepad to Excel?
I transferred a file from a database that will only save reports in Notepad. I then, cut and paste the data into Excel. However all of the info is merged into one cell. How can I format this data, so that it will be a simple worksheet with more than one cell? i.e. Name, SSN, Home address should all be in different cells Erika, Have you tried importing the file through the Data | Import External Data | Import Data... function? This function will allow you to import the data and separate the fields into different cells. Henry Falk "erika" wrote: > I transferred a file fr...

Row/Column labels not displayed.
Hi I'm using Excel 2002 A spreadsheet I've been given to use only displays the row/column labels upto 73/X respectively. I've never seen this before. Any ideas how I can set this up? TIA Dave F. Further to my previous mail, the movement of the selected cell by using the cursor or clickin/dragging "Dave F." <df@bh.cv.fg> wrote in message news:OzcDG$60EHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi > I'm using Excel 2002 > > A spreadsheet I've been given to use only displays the row/column labels > upto 73/X respectively. > > I've never s...

Can I convert a column into a row?
Excel Question. I simply want to convert a column of figures [each in different cells] into a row with a similar number of cells. Must be simple, but can't seem to find how to do it. Thanks for any replies, guys!! Select the cells in the column you want to paste in the row. copy (control C). Select the same number of cells in a row, click Edit > Paste Special. Select transpose. Click ok. - Mangesh "Lenworth" <Lenworth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBEBCC94-3B52-46D1-934C-224E3C234E6B@microsoft.com... > Excel Question. I simply want to convert ...

COUNT function 2 Columns
I have two columns of data, CATEGORY and NUMBER, and want to be able to COUNT the number instances where CATEGORY = X and NUMBER = Y. I know how to use the COUNT function on each column, but I don't know how to use it on two columns. Thanks! James, how about something like this =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A25="test")*(B2:B25=24)) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by ema...

Office 2003 collapse without any message
Before I turn mad, does anyone know what do do with a situation like this? I have one user, xp sp3, office 2003, with only local profil (important!) and a terminalserver-profile. Suddently she experianced that when she started typing in word, office just disappeared. Gone - word, Outlook - no message, nothing left. Just closed. I have noticed though, that if she uses word when Outlook has not been started, it works fine, so that's my work-around. But we can not go on like this. I started reading and tested all possible solutions I could find. Nothing worked. I have d...

Outlook 2003/Lotus Notes Issue
Hi All, I have been having this outgoing problem with receiving emails from Lotus Notes. It seems to only be a problem when I got replies from a Lotus Notes system. When I open up the reply, the only think I see in Outlook 2003 is my original message and nothing else. I have tried changing the format to HTML, Rich Text, Text, etc and still get the error. Any ideas? Thanks, FF Are you using Outlook Connector for Domino? "frequent_flyer" <frequent_flyer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:4044e78c$0$63376$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com... > Hi All, > > I have been...

Row names will not move with sort

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

sorting macro #3

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Sorting checking register

Unmerge so I can sort
I coy/pasted data into Excell and when I try to sort it I get "This operation requires merged sells to be identically sized". I understadn the work around in KB but how do I find which sells are merged? I wouldn't bother looking. I'd just remove all the merged cells from the range to sort. Select that range format|cells|alignment tab uncheck the merge cells box But if you wanted to search, you can do it via process of elimination. Select a range, format|cells|alignment tab. If that merge cells box is checked, then the whole selection is merged. If it's grey, t...