Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?

I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month.
I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will
allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file
and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may
be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are
some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any
advice. Thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim
(eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin
the data into excel should be fairly simple.

If the document is updated regularly, the relevant numbers might be i
fields or links, in which case they'd also be easy to copy.

If they always follow the same form of words, then it may be possibl
(eg last month's sales were $##,###).

Otherwise, it will be difficult to identify which numbers to cop
where

--
Nick

Nicky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26673

I think you will need to get a excel/office consultant to write such a
thing 'cus it will depend on how you data is set out and lots of
things that are speifc to your siutation. If you have a newer version
of office, you might like to try saving the file as XML, and then
opening it in word. - it may take you part of the way there.

Good luck
I've seen lots of people ask how to use Excel as a database to populate a word
document (mailmerge from within MSWord).  But I haven't seen your question much
(if ever).

You may want to post in the MSWord newsgroup if you don't get a real good
solution here.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Batch Recovery error...missing script message?
A user is posting a batch to the RM series (she does this all the time so this is nothing new). Receives a "posting interrupted" message on the master posting screen. We went to batch recovery and marked it and did a continue, but it still did not post. It returns the message: Script 'RM_Post_Validate_GL_Dist_DocType_0_Ex' not found. I checked the SY00500 table for the company and the entry is there. It looks "normal" as far as I can tell. There is no batch entry for it in the Dynamics SY00800 table. I don't know if that's an issue or not. I t...

getting more columns and data onto one page in Crystal
Hello: Since you can only place so much data onto a "piece of paper", likely the answer is "no". But, even after choosing "Landscape" in Crytal (10.0), there's not a way of getting as many columns of data onto a report as I want--is there? Ideally, I'd like to get 14 columns on there but am running out of room on the right. Also, I have placed a cross-tab on my report that prints on multiple pages instead of just one. Of course, since the cross-tab has 83 rows of data, my guess is that there is nothing that I can do about this either. Is there? ...

excel workbook
I want to know why there are blank lines after the 1300 lines I imported? I want the spreadsheet to just cut off at , lets say, 1310 lines. How would that be accomplished? I would also like the just have cells A thru H and no cells to the right of that. How can that be done? Hi you can't delete these rows/columns. What you could do is hide them (Format - Rows/Columns - Hide) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany FY wrote: > I want to know why there are > blank lines after the 1300 lines I imported? I want the spreadsheet > to just cut off at , lets say, 1310 lines. Ho...

Word Table to Access
Hi, I was wondering if expert can give me some lite to convert my word table into access database. Note: within each cell of my word table(s), some has multi-line data in it. In addition, there is one row containing picture(s) as well. So far, what I did is doing it manually for each word docs I have. Select Table Convert Table to Text(I use ^ character for delimiter) Save it to a text file(with char substitution, and CR/LF) Then, Load them to Access DB. Is there an easier way to do this? I'd love to see it done easily in windows. What you can do is to save your word doc to text wi...

Highlight 1 cell in Excel & move mouse-stays highlighted
I highlight one cell in Excel and then move mouse and the cells stay highlighted, and in the process it highlights other cells. Once I click on a cell there is no button that can stop this. Therefor I have to ctrl/alt/delete out of the program. Happens every time I go to a cell. Checked the mouse settings and everything appears normal and this only happens in Excel???? Any suggestions? You could try downloading and installing a new version of the mouse driver, if one is available from the manufacturer's web site. Or, try a different mouse and driver on the machine. David McRit...

backing up email folders and files
I am not using exchange but I would like to backup my users email folders. Currently we are using outlook and outlookexpress I was just wondering what the best way to do this is. I was thinking of running a script to copy the .dbx or .pst files but that could take a while. Is it possible to do this once a user has logged of say at 12:00am? or any other better way Are the machines left on at night for this? You can create a scheduled task then with the script below. The script even checks whether or not Outlook is closed and if not closes it; http://www.howto-outlook.com/downloads/Backup%...

Document Assembly in Word 2007
I am trying to assemble a big document in Word using VBA. The document already on the screen has footers and headers. I want to add another document to follow it which does not need those headers or footers. Here is my code, which is intuitive, but clearly wrong: With Selection .MoveEnd Unit:=wdStory, Count:=1 .InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage .InsertFile FileName:="n:\WordForms\Driving Instructions.docx", Range:="", ConfirmConversions:=False, Link:=False, Attachment:=False End With I am attempting to have VBA insert this already-exis...

Unable to validate company information in your backoffice data.
Upgrade to GP9 complete. Trying to move to BP3. Getting "Unable to validate company information in your backoffice data." Have checked: - DPUpgrade - SY01500 - DU000020 - SysDatabases table contains a row for each database. Checked all versionMajor for 9. All companies match and exist. Integrated Authentication is turned on in IIS. Any thoughts of another area to check is appreciated. Thanks! Jeff Wiedenfeld Hi Jeff -- Please see the following thread on page 2 of this newsgroup for some things to look into: http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGro...

software programme
Hi all, Does anybody know of a software program (free or otherwise) that will enable me to be able to collect 'current balance' data from several online accounts I have (which are all password protected) and be able to collate all this information in an excel worksheet I am running windows xp (home edition) and excel 2000 (I think!) Thanks spanna ...

MS Money 2007 automatic software update problems
I am having the automatic update problem with Money 2007, in which every time I start it up, it prompts me for the update even though it has already been through it and supposedly "successfully" updated. I found the post suggesting uninstalling IE7, and I tried that, but to no avail. I wonder if anyone has any other suggestions. I found my update log, and will post it here: Date: 07/28/2007 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 02:31:56 (hh:mm:ss) Entering mnyupdate.exe Parsing cmdline ParseCmdLine: CmdLine = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2007\mnyupdate!@#@.exe" /p:0x688 /a:"C:\P...

How to convert currency into words?
Can anyone advise how do I convert 1,223.35 to ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED TWENTY THREE DOLLARS AND THIRTY FIVE CENTS? Would prefer to have a formula to do this, instead of via VBA. Thanks!!! Hi Derrick there is no inbuilt function for this - you need to use an add-in or code .... check out http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html for details Cheers JulieD "Derrick" <Derrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2E0EC09-DEE9-4C93-81D9-8CC58C4344BA@microsoft.com... > Can anyone advise how do I convert 1,223.35 to ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED > TWEN...

Invoke PowerShell Script from Batch File
Richard just helped me write a PowerShell script to enable/disable a net adapter. Now I want to run the script from a batch file. I tried this: PowerShell -file EnableAdapter.ps1 with no luck. EnableAdapter.ps1 is in my path. It works if I run it from a PS prompt: & EnableAdapter.ps1. It also works if I use the noexit option: PowerShell -noexit -file EnableAdapter.ps1 Is it timing out or something? How can I get the first one to work? Fred If you do: PowerShell -file full_path\EnableAdapter.ps1 Then does it work? Marco "Frederick R. Hut...

How to recover data from OL2003 OST file when Exchange Server is no longer available
Hello After Exchange Server (in Windows Small Business Server 2003) is no longer available, I still have an OST file (created in OL 2003), just under 2 GB in size. Can one recover the data from this OST file? Thanks, David Yes, you can get the data out of it. Do you still have the exchange profile or very recently deleted it? if so, it's a matter of moving the stuff to a pst. If not, you need a tool - see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp and http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp for tools that you can use. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] O...

i WOULD LIKE TO FREEZE OLD DATA ON GRAPH TO ALLOW FOR UPDATE VIA M
I have a excel spreadsheet which upon me running the macro updates my graphs unfortunely due to limitations of 65,000 the system is no longer updating. I though if I could freeze the data on the graph I could omit the old data and just update based on the new. Any suggestions.. Hi, Excel only allows a certain number of data points on a chart, and I believe that limit is still in place in 2007: Data points in a data series for 2-D charts 32,000 Data points in a data series for 3-D charts 4,000 Data points for all data series in one chart 256,000 Depending on exactly what you are doi...

Enable/Disable NIC Script
how would you modify the above script to work with Windows 7? Const ssfCONTROLS = 3 sConnectionName = "Local Area Connection" sEnableVerb = "En&able" sDisableVerb = "Disa&ble" set shellApp = createobject("shell.application") set oControlPanel = shellApp.Namespace(ssfCONTROLS) set oNetConnections = nothing for each folderitem in oControlPanel.items if folderitem.name = "Network Connections" then set oNetConnections = folderitem.getfolder: exit for end if next if oNetConnections is nothing then ...

restore calendar from pst file
I unfortunately backed up the Calendar folder as a .pst file and now when I try to import it back to Calendar I cannot - error message is that it is incorrect format. It needs to be a .ics file - what can I do to restore the data to my Outlook Calendar? ...

Excel no more new fonts
I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook". How can I get around this? Thanks. Tuan, Any chance that you have a lot of charts in the workbook? There's a limit of 256 fonts in a workbook and each chart uses up two of them. Check here for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;168650 John "Tuan Ma" <tma@conocophillips.com> wrote in message news:0e5201c365f4$c036d370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied > to this workbook". How can...

Function and Data in a Cell
I was wondering if it is possible to enter data into a cell on the worksheet and there also being a function in that cell to For Example cell A1 I enter data of '50' and the function automatically adds '100' leaving the data displayed in cell A1 as'150 Any help much appreciated Sarah Not without resorting to VBA. Well, there is way "after the fact". Enter your number then enter 100 in another cell. Copy it and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc to the original cell. If you had a great many of these cells, that may be the easiest. You can select all the cel...

gp10 software
I have to reload gp10 on my computer because it is corrupted, our original disk is corrupted as well. I was wondering if there was a link somewhere to get gp10 Thanks, -- Carol You bet there is. The DVD release from June is available in CustomerSource. It's all one BIG file so make sure you have a fast internet connection or a lot of time. Also, if you have a subscription to MSDN, you can download GP from there. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Carol" wrote: > I have to reload gp10 on my computer because it is corrupted, our original > disk is corrupted as well. I wa...

Is there shortcut for merging cells when selected in Excel?
Just trying to avoid having to use mouse when typing and I need to merge selected cells. No easy one that I know of. Alt + o + e to open format dialog. Arrow key to move to Alignment tab Alt + m and Enter One thing I do know for certain...............merged cells will come back to bite you eventually. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 20 May 2010 10:16:01 -0700, Hanny <Hanny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just trying to avoid having to use mouse when typing and I need to merge >selected cells. ...

E-mails only found by third party software
After a cleanup in my inbox I'm missing a mail. The Outlook search function is unable to find this mail, it's gone. However, the third party software called Lookout Search finds this mail, and it finds it where it's supposed to be, in the Inbox. However, I'm unable to see this particular mail in this inbox... How is this possible? Is the index screwed? How do I recover from this? Can I trust Outlook to store my mails..? I have print screens that shows the mail in the inbox when searched for through Lookout Search, together with the inbox where it's missing. McEv...

Web store software
I use RMS for my physical retail store and I plan to open a web store. What storefront, shopping cart software do you recommend that is hosted by an ISP, highly customizable, and can possibly integrate with RMS database? I tried Miva and OpenUI hosted on Value Web but it's been a disaster. It just does not work! Try: www.newestech.com Jim Janke Emerald Business Systems "mas" <mas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:519092F4-54F9-4746-AD62-582DB999BAB0@microsoft.com... > I use RMS for my physical retail store and I plan to open a web store. What >...

Looking for sample data
I'm trying to learn a little about pivot tables and am looking for a larger spreadsheet than I care to build. Is there a link where I can get a reasonably large sheet with a lot of data? I seem to remember that I used to have one that I thought came from MS but I can't find the right combination of keywords that gets it to me. Or I might be imaging the whole thing... Any pointers? Norman Here's a link to the federal energy website with lots of data: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/mecs/mecs2002/data02/shelltables.html Don't know if that's helpful, but there are tons of spre...

PST Files #15
Is it possible to use an Imap Account with a PST file that does not have a 2GB limit? In Outlook 2003. No and the only logical conclusion I can reach is that MS didn't anticipate that Corporate/ISP mail servers would allow mailboxes greater than the limit. <krazykrl@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177361085.420223.193690@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to use an Imap Account with a PST file that does not > have a 2GB limit? In Outlook 2003. > On Apr 23, 7:41 pm, "neo [mvp outlook]" <n...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > No a...

Formula to sum data from a data range
Ok here's what I need to do. My sheet contains list of transactions by date and tx number spread over several years. I am trying to automatically pull subtotals for each fiscal year out of this LONG list of data. Example: ID Date IssueAmt Sold Date 1380 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 1381 12/1/1998 $66.00 12/1/1998 I need a formula that will sum the "Issue Amounts" if the "Date" falls within a particular range, ie. 11/25/1998-11/28/1999. Any help you all can give me I am extremely greatful for. I've been pulling my hair out all day today with IF, AND, and OR ...