Simple Macro is not so simple

Hi all,

I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert >
comment function to a selected cell.  Should be easy right?  Alas no

Danny

0
Aardvark
5/9/2004 3:29:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There's sample code on my web site, for inserting comments:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
5/9/2004 3:53:01 PM
Wow!  Nice one :-)

Thank you Miss Dalgleish

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> There's sample code on my web site, for inserting comments:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html
>
> Aardvark wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the
insert >
> > comment function to a selected cell.  Should be easy right?  Alas no
>
> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Aardvark

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Why is this PageSetup Macro So Slow?
Below is a page setup macro that runs real fast on my Excel2000 WinXP Pro Desktop but real slow on Excel2000 WinXP Home Laptop. I put msgboxes in to see what was slowing this macro up and the .TopMargin, ..BottomMargin, .Orientation and .PrintHeadings seemed to be taking a lot of time to finish. Any suggestions on how to speed this code up? Thanks. Dennis Sub Page_Setup() With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .PrintTitleRows = "$1:$1" .RightHeader = "&F &D &T &P/&N" .TopMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75) .BottomMar...

Using a macro to edit a macro
Short summary: I want to create a macro that will open up the excel vb/macro editor and simply edit existing subs/macros with some fairly sophisticated search and replaces. Note: the macro actions I intend to create are editting existing macros, not worksheet/book interactions. Other Details: I have taken the nessacary steps of: -creating unique break points (commented out sections) to find where to insert the new code snipits -created several refference variables that can be easily replaced in a search and replace (I was thinking about using a promt box or actual worsheet refference cel...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Macro to change position of chart labels on line chart
Hello all, I have quite a trickly problem to solve and I would appreciate any suggestions. I have a dashboard page in a worksheet which shows financial KPIs (i.e. sales) as forecast this year versus last year. There are a number of line charts on the dashboard showing the differing forecasts; the user of the dashboard can choose a business unit to view. What I would like to be able to do is to have the chart labels for these charts automatically change their aligmnent so that they display properly. I have set the chart labels to display "Above" for the new forecast and "Bel...

Enabling Macros #6
Is there a way to force Excel to open allowing Macros and not giving the user the option to disable them? I don't think so. The best solution for this is probably to have excel open with a warning page if the user chooses to disable macros. Have all the other sheets hidden and protect the worksheets/workbook and VBA code with passwords. The really determined user may still be able to crack your protection but most will take heed of your message on the warning page and reload with macros enabled. "Old Music Lover" wrote: > Is there a way to force Excel to open al...

open source macro recorder
I am writing an easy to use, dynamically timed playback, system wide macro recorder (called PadWorks). I am looking for programmer(s) to help write it. If you e-mail me (lshaping@hotmail.com) I will send the project file. Whenever I complete substantial changes, I will drop you an e-mail asking if you would like to see the new version with changes as listed. You take a look at the source code, change the worst part (if any), and send it back. I will update. And so on, until you opt out simply by not replying to my e-mail. I am a novice programmer (who does not do windowed programming...

autorun macro at Excel open
Searched, found nothing. How do I run a macro on Excel open? I have a macro that calls my form, but I can't find how to autorun the macro. Thanks much Duane, Two ways. Call the macro Auto_Open and put it in a general module. Use the Workbook_Open event macro in ThisWorkbook, and put your code in there. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Duane" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02b001c39b20$490c0890$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Searched, foun...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Macro sharing
Office 2000. Two of us at work need to perform the same tasks on our individual computers. Person1 has already created all the necessary Macros. How can Person1 get these macros over to Person2's computer? Thanks. Tell person1 to save the macro workbook as: ImportantGroupMacs.xls Then they can share it with the rest of the group. Whenever anyone wants to use a macro in it, they just open it (file|Open). If the macros are necessary all the time, then share the workbook with everyone, but tell them to put it in their XLStart folder. (use windows|Find to determine the exact location...

Running Macros
Is there a way to run a macro by clicking something in a cell, kind of like using a hyperlink? Appreciate any help, Kelly Kelly......Ceate a text box and place it some where on your spreadsheet. Right click on the text box and look for "assign macro". This will let you link the specific macro to this text box. When the button is pushed the macro runs. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to run a macro by clicking something in a cell, kind of like using a hyperlink? > >Appreciate any help, >Kelly >. > Kelly, you can create a graphic then do t...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

VBA or Macro Help: Create new files based on dynamic text in a tab
I have 7 tables in a Word doc. Each table has a cell for "Owner". Suzy is the owner in 4 of the tables, John is the owner in 3. I want to loop through all possible owners (in this case, 2), find each table that belongs to them, and create a new file for each owner. At the end of the macro, I'd have a file called "Suzy.doc" with her 4 tables appended and one called "John.doc" with his 3 tables appended. I could code this back in the day by looping through a 'getOwner-readWordDoc-testCondition-writeRecord' loop-until-end. But, I can&#...

Addition type macro
I've posted a few times on the same topic but I can't seem to figure it out, so I'm going to try and re-explain and see if that helps :) Ok I have a workbook, with several spreadsheets with all sorts of data on them. Two of these sheets are almost identical except for the values in certain areas. What I have is a sheet with locations in the Mid South, Memphis, Jackson, etc. On row 10 I have columns A, B, C, and D merged with the "Memphis" in it. The row below that is another location, same format....skip two lines and more locations in the same format. Column E is ...

Macro confusion
I'm trying to make macro keys that specify a department in the item search and get ready for a name in the search, so I start the macro (ctrl-f3) but it won't let me end the recording until I close the open search window, what am I doing wrong? I tried pausing the recording and closing the windows to no avail! -Jerry It seems like you didn't quite finish the process. You need to ctrl-f3 to start the process, open your window, ctrl-f3 to pause your process, close your window, and then ctrl-f3 one more time to end the macro. The closing of the window will not be recorded. -...

Modify Recorded Macro
I recorded the following macro, which basically Merges 2 cells and Alignes the text to the left. However, when recording it always records the cell address(Range("D***:D***").Select. How can i adapt the cell address to something like: ActiveCell - ActiveCell.Offset(0,1).select instead of the particular cell address. I need to run this macro about 1000 times ************************* Sub MergeCells() ' ' MergeCells Macro ' ' Range("D156:E156").Select With Selection .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter .Vertic...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

macro disabled
Hi there; well I got a file from a friend which contains a macro, but when I open it a message pop in as the macro is disabled and I should change the security level on my PC. I changed the security level from high to low and opened the file again still I cannot see the macro in visaul basic editor. Would you please let me know what should I do? Thanks Mo. You shouldn't set your level lower than Medium. Can you see any macro names when you ALT+F8? Can you see any modules in VBE? There may be code in the worksheet module(s) -- rightclick the worksheet tab(s) & "View Code"...

Macro Output Question
Hello, I was given some excellent help on the forum, and thanks to all. Need help with one more thing to finish. I was given the below macro to be able to enter a number in one cell and the output cell would continuously add up the sum. I need to take the output sum and subtract it from another cell, but I keep getting an error. What do I need to do to make this happen. Thanks JR Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("C2:C15")) Then I...

simple question
Okay, I have a very simple question. Where do the old posts go after they run off the last page of this newsgroup? Sometimes I would like to refer to a post that I remember seeing in October, but is no longer on the current section. The search function seems to only search current posts as well. If anyone has some input please email me at joep@siboneylg.com Thanks kindly. have you tried google groups, they keep archived old posts: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=microsoft.public.greatplains&hl=en "Joe Proehl" <joep@siboneylg.com> wrote in message news:099701c5...

Simple Macro is not so simple
Hi all, I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no Danny There's sample code on my web site, for inserting comments: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Aardvark wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Wow! Nice one :-) Thank you M...