Simple graph

I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate.

ZIP        RATE
80001     2.34
80002     1.23
80003     1.23

I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number
of times that rate occurs on the y axis.

|  *
|
|              *
|_________________________________
   |           |
1.23      2.34

Thank you.

0
sohum.shah (10)
10/27/2006 5:18:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1)
Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read
COUNT
Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say)
In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2)
Copy down the row
Select H1:G20 and make a LINE chart
A label in G1 would make Excel treat G as a data series not a category
series
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

<sohum.shah@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate.
>
> ZIP        RATE
> 80001     2.34
> 80002     1.23
> 80003     1.23
>

> I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number
> of times that rate occurs on the y axis.
>

> |  *
> |
> |              *
> |_________________________________
>   |           |
> 1.23      2.34
>

> Thank you.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
10/27/2006 6:03:36 PM
thank you for all your help on all my posts.

On Oct 27, 12:03 pm, "Bernard Liengme" <blien...@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca>
wrote:
> I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1)
> Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read
> COUNT
> Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say)
> In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2)
> Copy down the row
> Select H1:G20 and make a LINE chart
> A label in G1 would make Excel treat G as a data series not a category
> series
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengmewww.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> <sohum.s...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1161969502.495854.36370@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate.
>
> > ZIP        RATE
> > 80001     2.34
> > 80002     1.23
> > 80003     1.23
>
> > I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number
> > of times that rate occurs on the y axis.
>

> > |  *
> > |
> > |              *
> > |_________________________________
> >   |           |
> > 1.23      2.34
>
> > Thank you.

0
sohum.shah (10)

Graphs have stopped displaying buy and sell points
The graphs withing Money Plus used to have markers showing my buy and sell points, but those markers no longer appear. Did I accidentally turn off that feature somehow? In microsoft.public.money, Paul Pedersen wrote: >The graphs withing Money Plus used to have markers showing my buy and sell >points, but those markers no longer appear. Did I accidentally turn off that >feature somehow? > No, it's nothing you did. "Paul Pedersen" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message news:uotk5sI1IHA.4572@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > The graphs withing Money Plus used to...

xmas tree graph
I've been asked to prepare a workbook show data tables to generate a xmas tree graph. Does any know how to do this in excel? I tried to do this many years ago. My data represented the number of students enrolled at a college, split by gender and by age - it occurred to me that by plotting male as -ve and femail as +ve and age (in 5-year bands) on the y-axis, and by colouring the "branches" (on a bar-graph) green, then the result may look like a xmas tree (it was in November/December that I was doing this, so there was the seasonal element). In the end it didn't look too muc...

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

How do you not include 0 value data on a graph?
I have a chart made that is formulated so that data fills in automatically every month. I then have a graph attached that plots the data. My problem is that when there is no data for that month then the graph plots a continuous line that shows 0 after the real data. Is there anything that I can put in the formula so that if there is no value or 0 value it won't plot it on the graph? Hope this question makes sense! Absolutely, use NA() if you don't want to graph the point. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "bergie" wrote: > I have a chart made that is formulated ...

Graphs #4
Is there a way to create range names for each row in a table and by using a drop down list with these names in the list that are then used as the series range in a graph eg Row1 named RowA = 100 200 300 400 Row2 named RowB = 250 350 100 400 Row3 named RowC = 10 4 9 30 5 Row4 named RowD = 1000 40 500 40 Then as the graph range based on a drop down list one selects RowB and 250,350,100,400 is used in the graph. If one selects RowD then the graph changes. Thanks Carlob1 Yes you can. Highlight each row of data, e.g. A1:D1, click on <Insert>,<Name>,<Define> , type the name...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Charting multiple graphs from a list on another worksheet
Hi all I am battling with graphs/ charts in Excel 2007. I am basically looking for a way that I can create multiple graphs based on a sheet with a bunch of simple data. What I have is a sheet that contains a list of servers with 3 datapoints (Min, Max, Avg) Example: Server Name/Min/Max/Avg server1/53/100/64 server2/52/99/63 server3/51/98/62 and this list caries on for up to 200 servers. I need to create graphs per server in an automated way. I have tried this script but it does not represent the data labels correctly. It does not show me the Min/Max/Avg as a legend ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

XY Scatter Graph using Columns of Y and X coordinates
Hi, I'm trying to build an XY Scatter Graph. I want to have: * "Opportunity" on the Y axis * "Capabilities" on the X axis * I'd like to have each XY coordinate labeled with a number. Here is some of the data I am using: # A Capabilities 1 4.9 3.8 2 4.1 4.8 3 4.1 3.5 4 3.9 3.3 When I use the XY Scatter graph in Excel, I get: using Columns: both "Opportunity" and "Capabilities" numbers charted on the Y axis with "Opportunity" and "Capabilities" eac...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

How do I create a line graph with x- y axis?
I am trying to make a single line graph a x axis (vertcal side) showing breathing rates per minute, and the Y axis )horizontal axis) gin-ving time in minutes. - Select the both x and y data ranges - Insert|Chart - On the Standard Types tab, select "XY (Scatter)" - Select the desired chart subtype (with or with without point markers and/or connnecting lines, and whether connecting lines should be curved or straight) - Continue pressing Next, ajusting options as desired, until finished Notes: - Avoid the "Line" Standard Type. The name is very misleading. Its purpos...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

Graph link format
I am trying to keep a set of graphs linked in a document to their excel file. The problem is that I cannot select the option to keep them the same size and format when they are updated. The option is greyed out. Please help me. Hi fcisp, See if this one works for you. http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=46010&lngWId=1 "fcisp" wrote: > I am trying to keep a set of graphs linked in a document to their excel file. > The problem is that I cannot select the option to keep them the same size > and format when they are updated. ...

How do I get my sizing handles back? Graph/data on same page.
I created a simple line graph on the same page as the data. The blue sizing handles use to be present when I wanted to add data, but now the handles are no longer present and I have to go through the longer way of adding data by using the Chart source data option. Is there a way to get the sizing handles back? If you have added any series "the long way", amended the formula for any series or for any reason have an input range Excel considers to be non-simple, it won't show the coloured range areas. If your chart really is simple and based on a single contiguous...

simple question
Okay, I have a very simple question. Where do the old posts go after they run off the last page of this newsgroup? Sometimes I would like to refer to a post that I remember seeing in October, but is no longer on the current section. The search function seems to only search current posts as well. If anyone has some input please email me at joep@siboneylg.com Thanks kindly. have you tried google groups, they keep archived old posts: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=microsoft.public.greatplains&hl=en "Joe Proehl" <joep@siboneylg.com> wrote in message news:099701c5...

Prob. when viewing my XL graph thru internet...
Hi. A problem which may or may not be due to Excel: I have some files, protected and with some sheets hidden, which I am using to show graphs and data on the internet. I want the viewer to be able to copy off the data (so they are saved as .xls files. The problem is, when I view the file in internet explorer, the chart sheet in which the file is opened will have a different size (the chart expands to fill the whole screen). The other chart sheets are fine. ??? Also, #1 the chart toolbar appears (don't want or need it) and #2 when I hit Back, a prompt to save appears (unwanted, ...

Simple Macro is not so simple
Hi all, I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no Danny There's sample code on my web site, for inserting comments: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Aardvark wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Wow! Nice one :-) Thank you M...

(Error 1004) Object Defined Error ...simple code
I have the following simple simple code: Dim s as String s = WeekdayName(1) ' Causes Error 1004 Why would the above call to "WeekdayName(1)" suddenly cause an Object Defined Error?? My program has been working nicely for awhile, but now all of a sudden it halts at the above line??? What the heck is going on??? Robert Crandal Hi Robert, It works fine for me. However, checking out Help, the first day of week parameter is supposed to default to Sunday (or 1) as the first day of the week but it appears to default to zero. Tested in xl2002 and x...

GraphicsServer w/ MFC issue: Graph is in the forefront of the screen & doesn't minimize
I'm trying to debug an MFC application that plots data using a graphing toolkit from Graphics Server. The problem is that the actual graph is always on the forefront of the screen meaning even if I open any other program(s) on my computer and maximize it, the graph from the MFC app is on top blocking the view of the other program I just opened. I suspect that this phenomenon of have the graph always in the "forefront" of the screen is somehow being "forced" in the code. I do know tha the MFC application itself is made to take up the entire screen and cannot be minimized...

How do i link Excel to Powerpoint slide show & see graph on wk she
I establish a link that shows on the screen but I want to be able to print the one slide from powerpoint on Excel spreadsheet. ...

PIVOT TABLE GRAPH
Is there a way to have a pivot graph fit two pages instead of one? There are too many variables to be legible. Also is there a good website for info on formatting pivot tables/graphs? You could move the chart to a worksheet, and stretch it across two pages. To move the chart, right-click on it, and choose Location. ANDREW MC wrote: > Is there a way to have a pivot graph fit two pages instead of one? There are > too many variables to be legible. Also is there a good website for info on > formatting pivot tables/graphs? > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book L...