simple checkbox question

I really dont know much about VBA and/or macros and have what probably
is an extremly basic question.  I wasnt sure how to word it so when
trying to search it i didnt really get any answers.

all I want to do is add several checkboxes to a spreadsheet, if the
user checks the box, I want the cell underneath it to be equal to 1,
or any number or letter, it doesnt matter.  i just used 1 in an IF
formula but can change it if needed.

what i am doing is a timesheet so that users can keep track of how
many hours they worked each day, and if that day is a holiday, i want
them to be able to use the checkbox to indicate that this particular
day was a holiday.  if they check the box, the cell under it returns a
1 and the correct amount of hours are added to the totals.  there are
a few other things tied in to holidays but that is the basic idea

0
hatchmar (1)
6/9/2007 4:16:42 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You don't need any macros to do what you want..

-Right click any toolbar and pick the Forms toolbar.
-Click the check box control and draw it on top of the cell of your choice.
-You can position it pretty precisely with the arrow keys while it is
'selected'.
-Right click the check box and pick Format Control.
-In the Cell Link box enter the address of the underlying cell, e.g., D5,
and click OK.
-You can select the text in the check box and change it.

Now when you click the check box TRUE appears in the linked cell, and FALSE
when you uncheck it. So this isn't visible to the user:

-Select the cell.
-Format, Cells, Number tab.
-Select the Custom category at the end of the list.
-Type 3 semicolons in the Type box: ";;;" and OK.

--
Jim
"hatchmar" <hatchmar@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I really dont know much about VBA and/or macros and have what probably
> is an extremly basic question.  I wasnt sure how to word it so when
> trying to search it i didnt really get any answers.
>
> all I want to do is add several checkboxes to a spreadsheet, if the
> user checks the box, I want the cell underneath it to be equal to 1,
> or any number or letter, it doesnt matter.  i just used 1 in an IF
> formula but can change it if needed.
>
> what i am doing is a timesheet so that users can keep track of how
> many hours they worked each day, and if that day is a holiday, i want
> them to be able to use the checkbox to indicate that this particular
> day was a holiday.  if they check the box, the cell under it returns a
> 1 and the correct amount of hours are added to the totals.  there are
> a few other things tied in to holidays but that is the basic idea

0
jrrech (1933)

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Mell Install Question
We have MELL Installed on a Web Server. It is working fine and we have several modules up and running and will be adding more and more.. When we first installed eLearning, we said 'NO' to the SQL Server peice of the install. Now we'de like to have it log to SQL Server but am not sure how to go about doing this. reun the install? uninstall and reinstall?? I know there must be a way to implement SQL Server without having to reinstall the whole thing !!!! Can anyone help? ...

Exchange question #2
I have just taken over a medium size office, running Exchange 6.5 on Small Business Server 2003, clients run Outlook 2003. My immediate problem is I have two users who cannot send email to several specific addresses outside the company. Everyone else can send to these addresses. When these two people send email to the outside addresses, they immediately get an email back stating that the address doesn't exist or something to that effect. It appears to be bounced right back from the server. Does anyone have an idea here? Thanks in advance. Can you post the NDR? -- Bharat Sune...

Drop down. *EASY* question!
BlankHiya everyone :) I was just wondering if anybody could explain something reeeeally easy for me? In Excel, I would like a two drop-down features in my columns of my spreadsheet. The first one (columnE) with the options 'yes' or 'no'. The second one (columnD) with a list of names, eg. Anthony Peter Mark Jonathan Thankyou for ANY help you can give me! -- @---}-- Laura..... :) Liverpool, England "Do you know where you're going to?" Data>Validation, choose a type of list, and then just type the values comma separated. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from...

Experts Question
Hi. I'm writing a multi tool application, something like outlook. I have an MDI application of course. Inside the MDI the user may choose any of few Mini tools (something like calendar,contacts,mail, tasks etc). A mini tool may be an MDI - e.g. one of my mini tool is a resources editor, which means that the user may first choose the "Resource Editor" mini tool, and open/create many windows to edit. Another mini tool will be "Scripts Editor", which the user may choose to open many scripts views. My problem is how to implement the switching between mini tools, I wanna pu...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Install question
Hello, can I have SQL Server 2008 Express with advanced services with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation installed on the same machine ? Thank you Gilles On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:49:10 -0700 (PDT), Gilles Koffmann <gilles.koffmann@gmail.com> wrote: >Hello, > >can I have SQL Server 2008 Express with advanced services >with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation installed on the same >machine ? > >Thank you >Gilles Hi Giles You should be able to do this, have you tried and failed? John ...

xml/rid question
I am using Visual Studio 2003/C# I created a new xml schema/xsd file (Project Create new item->Dataset) I then added Elements to the schema using the designer From the toolbox I then created an instance of my dataset. I then dropped a grid (Infragistics UltraWebGrid) onto my form, and bound the grid to my dataset. At runtime, I configure the columns of the grid, get some records from the Employee database (SQL Server2k), and add some rows to the grid. The user then enters some data into various cells of the grid. I am now ready to update the database with the contents of the grid. What ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

WDF Interrupt question
I'm sorry I just start learning windows drivers development. I'm looking at Interrupt servicing in drivers in WDF. WdfInterruptCreate create the interrupt object but where do we put the information about interrupt vector? I noticed we can get vector by using WdfInterruptGetInfo, but where do we set it? I think I have found where it comes from. From Hardware Resource list, which is filled by PnP Manager. On Mar 22, 12:56=A0am, mpefareo <mpefa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm sorry I just start learning windows drivers development. I'm looking ...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

Curious Database Query Question
When creating a "New Database Query" from another Excel workbook, when you get to the "Select Workbook" dialog, there is a small checkbox labelled "Read Only". According to the help file, it has this to say: "To prohibit updates to this file, select the Read Only check box." I don't understand why this is an issue. In my understanding, database query is a one-way transfer of data from the external source to your excel workbook...if you edit the data in your workbook, that *doesn't* change the data back in the external source...right? Am I wr...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

SOP process question
Hi, We use SOP and have a new process that I'm not sure how to handle. We receive an order from a customer for a year's worth of product. We need to book the order to show a quantity of 12 but bill and fulfill 1 item monthly. Is there any automated way to fill the order monthly (decrement the inventory by 1 every month) and invoice without having to go in to every order? I looked at using recurring orders but that does not give us the line item with a quantity of 12 for reporting....I feel like I'm missing something very basic. Thank you! Yes and no.... ...

Recipient Policy questions #2
Hey guys I wanted to change my addressing scheme from the current lame one to something like %g_%s@domain.com. When i change this ...will all my users email address' automatically update to these new address' ? or do i need to make other changes? Also...is there a way to keep those old address alive for a bit (via forwarding/connecting) so we dont miss anything...or will this perm remove the old ones? thanx SteveMAster Keep the old addresses, insert new address in Recipient Policy and set it as default. This will ensure when recipients hit Reply they see the correct ad...

IMAP question
One of my email accounts is set as IMAP. When I open outlook it connects to the account and checks email. However, if it is diconnected from the account for some reason, it would not connect to the account again (even if I try file connect to...). I have to close outlook and to open it again to get connected again. How can I solve this problem? ...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

Question on anatomy of a query
I was looking at an article by Plamen Ratchev (which I had printed a while ago but can't find it online anymore) where he states that the first thing a query does if there are 2 tables involved is create a Cartesian Product (cross Join) between each table. Then the ON filter is applied. If Table A has 20,000,000 rows and Table B has 30,000,000 rows - the system would read all the rows and put all the combinations together to get 600,000,000,000,000 rows? Then apply the ON filter??? Where would it put the data it just read? Does it read all this into a temporary table in...

Filter Question!
I have a table [tblAccountStatus] that has around 6 fields for receiving payments 2 of the fields are [ClientID] (Number) and [ModeOfPayment] (Text) I have created a query using these to fields , made a combo box using this query ,put it on my form and made Control Source [ModeOfPayment] Now what I would like to do is when I enter the ClientID on to my form the query will only show [ModeOfPayment] that has been entered with that [ClientID] Hence when I select Mr Tom Cruise , I will get a selection my from my Combo Box as the names of the checks I have entered under his ClientID Hope thi...

simple question
Okay, I have a very simple question. Where do the old posts go after they run off the last page of this newsgroup? Sometimes I would like to refer to a post that I remember seeing in October, but is no longer on the current section. The search function seems to only search current posts as well. If anyone has some input please email me at joep@siboneylg.com Thanks kindly. have you tried google groups, they keep archived old posts: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=microsoft.public.greatplains&hl=en "Joe Proehl" <joep@siboneylg.com> wrote in message news:099701c5...

Macro Output Question
Hello, I was given some excellent help on the forum, and thanks to all. Need help with one more thing to finish. I was given the below macro to be able to enter a number in one cell and the output cell would continuously add up the sum. I need to take the output sum and subtract it from another cell, but I keep getting an error. What do I need to do to make this happen. Thanks JR Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("C2:C15")) Then I...

Simple Macro is not so simple
Hi all, I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no Danny There's sample code on my web site, for inserting comments: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Aardvark wrote: > Hi all, > > I am trying to record a macro which will automatically perform the insert > > comment function to a selected cell. Should be easy right? Alas no -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Wow! Nice one :-) Thank you M...