sheet name

is it possible to refer in a cell to the sheet name?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Fanny,
See  http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"fanny" <f.klompsma@chello.nl> wrote in message
> is it possible to refer in a cell to the sheet name?

Sent items separates messages
Hi: I have a contact in my address book with the full name of "Steve Smith" and an email address of "ssmith@hiscompany.com" When I receive email messages from Steve, in my inbox, his messages show up with the "From" name of "Steve Smith" - exactly as I would expect. If I REPLY to a message from Steve, then in my "Sent Items" folder, the message sometimes appears with the "To" name of ssmith@hiscompany.com and other times it appears with the "To" name of 'ssmith@hiscompany.com' (notice the single q...

Check for valid file name before saving
My form copies a file from one locatin, prompts the user to create a new name for the file, then saves the file to another location. is there an easy way to ensure the user has entered a valid file name (e.g. did not use '/' or "^" or anything like that) so the save does not fail? OR, would it be easier to some how set up error handling so that if the save fails for that reason, i can prompt the user to try again. How would i do either of these things? Thanks, You must use error handling for this kind of operation, as there are just too many things that could go wrong....

How can I share information between multiple sheets in Excel?
New question: I know now how to use "=sheet1!a1" to copy cells from sheet 1 to sheet 2,3 etc. Is there is a formula that will allow me to enter data into sheet 2, and have it copy automatically into sheet 1 and 3, or into sheet 3 going to sheet 1 and 2? So that I can enter the data into any sheet and have it transfer to all sheets, rather than always from sheet 1 to sheets 2 and 3. Nothing built into excel (except for the formula you showed). But I'd be very hesitant to separate my data. I'd do my best to keep all the data on one worksheet. You can use Data|Fi...

Pasting to a name...
This is a simple problem or it's not even possible, but I have some code like pt_1=worksheets("Sheet1").range("a1") and I need to be able to use code to paste to this location using the name I gave it. I tried, pt_1.pastespecial , but obviously it didn't work. Any suggestions? Maybe... Dim Pt_1 as range set pt_1 = worksheets("sheet1").range("a1") Someotherrange.copy pt_1.pastespecial paste:=xlpastevalues Gojavid wrote: > > This is a simple problem or it's not even possible, but I have some > code like > > pt_1=...

Call from a different sheet?
I'm wondering if it's possible in Excel to call data from a different sheet. For example if I changed A1 in sheet 2 it'd affect forumlas in sheet 1. -- HisHighness ------------------------------------------------------------------------ HisHighness's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31454 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=511552 You can link to another worksheet with a formula like ='Sheet1'!A1 -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson...

Transfer the total of mutiple entries in a sheet to another sheet in the same file #2
How to transfer the total of multiple of multiple entries in a sheet to another shet in the same file. Please help me in this formula ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** ...

HOW DO I CHANGE THE ORDER OF THE SHEETS IN EXCEL WORKBOOK?
my sheets are not in the order I want them. How do I change the order. The data is already in the sheets. Click on the tab and drag it to where you want to. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- "joanbaer" <joanbaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F45...

Max number sheets in a file?
How many sheets can an excel 2002 file have if each sheet has only abou a page of text? I'm just looking for a general idea, if it's lots an lots and I don't need to worry about it that's a good enough answer fo m -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The number will be limited by the memory in your computer. Certainly hundreds of sheets is well within most machine's capacity. In article <bishopwill.154u1g@excelforum-nospam.com>, bishopwill <<bishopwill.154u1g@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How many sheets can an excel 2002 file hav...

Sheet to sheet copying
Hi, I have two spreadsheets. One called nursing and the other medical. I want to be able to copy certain cells from one sheet to other and visa verca without the need to copy & paste. So I want a cell in nursing to search a column for specific text in the medical sheet, then I want the contents of cells in the row where the text is found to be copied to cells in the nursing sheet. Example: The cells B3-G3 in the nursing sheet to search Column A in the medical sheet for specific text e.g. "G1". When "G1" is found in cell A5 then the contents of cells B5-G5 in t...

Check Register to Mortgage Sheet
Hi; I am using MS Money 2007. If I write a check in my register to my mortgage company, how do I get that transaction to update my mortgage account register? Do I have to type it in twice (Once to my check register and once to my mortgage register)? I would like to set some stuff up where items in my check register automatically cary to other account items. Thanks for any advice on this. Pat From the Check Register make it a transfer to your Mortgage Account. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mn...

list sheet comments
Hi, I have a sheet with a lot of comments. I would like to create a macro that lists all the comments of the sheet in column F. I=B4ve tried something similar like this: For Each cmt in ActiveSheet.Comments MsgBox cmt.Text Next cmt But I don=B4t know how to list each comment in each cell of column F instead of a msgbox. thanks Dim StartCell as Range dim Cmt as comment with activesheet set startcell = .range("F1") for each cmt in .comments startcell.value = cmt.txt 'come down to the next cell set startcell = startcell.offset(1,0) n...

Adding User Name to footer
I have spreadsheets that go out to a number of users, and they make various changes and print out for themselves. The problems is that no-one knows which version to pick up from a central printer. Can I add the user name to the footer. I also have the path and file in the same area. I would like to end up with : User Name printed 'path/file' on 'date' ...

USB device name
How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option through GUI) ? PRANAV KANT GAUR <PRANAVKANTGAUR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by >users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option through >GUI) ? In which GUI is one able to assign an arbitrary name to a USB device? -- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc. "Tim Roberts"...

blank out rest of work sheet
I was wondering how to blank out the empy cells in my worksheet. For example: I have data in columns A-F down about 50 rows. I do not want to see any rows past that. When I am saving the data as a text file, I am getting extra rows in my file for some reason and I want to see if this would prevent this from happening. Thanks... --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.769 / Virus Database: 516 - Release Date: 9/24/2004 Hi Shawn, See the explanation and remedial notes on Debra Dalgleish's web site: ...

User Name prompts
Hi, I am using Microsoft Outlook 2002 and have a two word username separated by a space. I have been having this problem with Outlook wherein I have entered my username and password in the account setup process, but it still prompts me for it whenever it is checking for new messages. Also, when it prompts, it shows the username without the space. Does Outlook not accept usernames with space, because I tried changing the original settings many times, but every time I open the Edit window of email accounts, I see my user name without space. ...

How to populate one sheet with data from another sheet
I have 2 sheets in the excel file. On the first sheet the first colum is a part num only. The second sheet has part num on the first column and descriptions on the second column. I need a macro or script that will scan the second sheet for part num that matches the first sheet part num and populate the description(at the second column) on the first excel sheet. -- KH One way .. Assuming the reference data is in Sheet2, cols A and B col A = part#, col B = description In Sheet1 ----------- With col A containing part# in A2 down, Put in B2: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"&quo...

No Bound Sheets Found Error Dialog Box-Excel 2000
Hello all. I have a 8.5MB spreadsheet that is the summary of weekly timesheets that are Excel files. I have attempted various strategies to reduce the size of the files. This sheet is all references to other worksheets. Up until two days ago, when opening the file and it asks, this contains references to other files...do you want Excel to update the cell refences, y or N. I always hit okay and it does it's stuff. Now however, when the box comes up when opening the file, I hit okay and it returns a "No Bound Sheets" error dialog box. All I can do is hit okay and a...

Changing from sheet to sheet
Hi there! Is there a function that would enable me to navigate from sheet to sheet in an Excel document (instead of using the mouse and click on the sheet I want to work with)? Many thanks! Hi Ctrl PgUp and Ctrl PgDwn is one way. Insert > Hyperlink (and after that clicking it) is another. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Greywolf" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:5bfc01c42d6b$c2a26630$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi there! > > Is there a function that would enable me to navigate from > sheet to sheet in an Excel document (instead of using the &...

Delete values in sheet 2 that arre found in sheet 1
Is there an easy way to delete values in sheet 2 that match the value from sheet 1. I have approximately 10000 rows in sheet 1 and some identical rows on sheet 2 that need to be eliminated? I not sure if this has to be done pragmatically or if there is some feature in excel 2007 that can handle this type of request. thanks Nick If it is the values in a single column on each sheet that make up the duplication, it's fairly easy. Lets say you want to compare the contents of column A on each sheet to find duplicates on Sheet2 (that are also on Sheet1). Your data starts o...

Function to Copy all sheets into one sheet
Is there a way to copy multiple sheets at once to create one worksheet, rather than one at a time? You could use a for/each loop for each ws in worksheets depends on what and where you want to copy next -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Des" <cusaty@express-scripts.com> wrote in message news:013801c3b43a$5cb403b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to copy multiple sheets at once to create > one worksheet, rather than one at a time? ...

Linking sheets
I am trying to hyperlink a cell in one single sheet spreadsheet to a specific sheet in another multisheet book. I don't need to get to any specific cell in the second spreadsheet, just the specific sheet. Thx, Chris In Excel 2003 or earlier. Insert>Hyperlink>Existing file or webpage. Browse to the target workbook then hit "Bookmark" and pick a sheet and a cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:14:38 -0700 (PDT), spacia <chris_butler@thegrid.net> wrote: >I am trying to hyperlink a cell in one single sheet spreadsheet to a >specific sheet in...

Saving Excel Sheet
I have a series of worksheets that I use to generate a quotation. I would like to use these worksheets like a template but when saved I only want to save the results in a separate file is this possible? If you look up Template in Help there is quite a good explanation of how to create and use a template. -- Regards, OssieMac "dragons_lair" wrote: > I have a series of worksheets that I use to generate a quotation. I would > like to use these worksheets like a template but when saved I only want to > save the results in a separate file is this possible? ...

how to invoke select names form
hi all... i want to invoke the form(Select Names form that will be opened when we click the To button in the new mail message) programatically in my form ... how can i do this ... I don't think you can as it is not a form but a cache of addresses = previously used in the TO: field - however, you can always ask in a = programming group "down the hall." --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Malli asked...

Changing graph axes using named range
Hi, I have a large table of data, each column is defined as a range. What I would like to do is use the drop down list (using data validation) where each option in the list is a named range, to change the graph's x and y axes. For example, if I were to select the named range for column C as my x axis (using the drop down list) and column F as my Y axis, I would like the graph to automatically plot this without going into the =SERIES(<legend entry>,<X Values>,<Y Values>,<PlotOrder>) formula and changing the named range manually. I have tried to reference the cells in...

move to other sheet
I would like to move certain rows from one sheet to another. For example: If there are in column A cells containing "DC BMW" move the row that goes with it to sheet named DC BMW. Fen Dag fen Start here if you want to do it with VBA code http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm Groeten Ron -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "fen" <f.klompsma@upcmail.nl> wrote in message news:59225$4bb37f3b$d55d9af3$26184@news.chello.nl... > I would like to move certain rows from one sheet to another. > For example: If there a...