Selective data validation list

I have data validation applied to a cell using a list that's on another
worksheet in the same workbook. This was done with a dynamic named range and
works fine.

Now I want to change things so that items only appear in the drop down list if
the value of a another column in the worksheet with the list items is set to
"Yes".  Each of the possible list items has either "Yes" or "No" in the column
next to the list item.

Is there a way to accomplish selection of the items to appear in the drop down
validation list based on the value of a column next to each of the possible list
items?

Thanks

Mike Clemens
0
mclemens (2)
2/24/2009 3:10:51 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You would have to extract those items into a separate list and use this new
list as the source for the drop down.

Or, if you can sort the data on "Yes" so that all items that correspond to
"Yes" are grouped together then you can use a formula to get the correct
items for the list.

Need more detail to suggest anything more specific.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mike Clemens" <mclemens@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have data validation applied to a cell using a list that's on another
>worksheet in the same workbook. This was done with a dynamic named range
>and works fine.
>
> Now I want to change things so that items only appear in the drop down
> list if the value of a another column in the worksheet with the list items
> is set to "Yes".  Each of the possible list items has either "Yes" or "No"
> in the column next to the list item.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish selection of the items to appear in the drop
> down validation list based on the value of a column next to each of the
> possible list items?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Clemens

0
biffinpitt (3172)

GDI is a "Top 50" Inc500 Listed Company...Are You Tired of Working Hard to Make Someone Else Rich?
Dear Friends, Are You Tired of Working Hard to Make Someone Else Rich? This Inc500 listed company is giving away money... This company is going to set me up for life and it can do the same for you. Read about how 1000's of real people worldwide who are building their own "Income for Life"=99 http://freedom.ws/helenmoonlight/show_dvd Watch the video until the end - make sure your speakers are on before you click http://www.website.ws/helenmoonlight I am confident that you will be impressed with what you see and hear. http://www.my.ws/helenmoonligh...

Query-based list w/1 Exception
I've created a query based distribtuion list which works fine yet out of the 1000 or so mailboxes it gives me I'd like to exclude 10. Is there a way? (Basically I have checked only "Users with Exchange mailbox") Make those 10 recipients members of a distribution group, and add the following to the query: (&(your current query)(!memberOf=distinguished Name of the distribution group)) Alternatively, if there's a common value of a particular attribute like location/city/department, et al, use that to exclude them. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com ...

Run report on multi selected records.

sort alphanumeric data
I have data with mix number of digits and I like to sort them. Somehow, the normal sorting process give me a not so desired result. Can anyone help? A10 B100 A2 AA1 AD200 A1 The result I am looking for is: A1 A2 A10 B2 B100 AD200 I think your example wasn't exactly right' look at the B2 and AA1 entries. But I assume you want to sort like the Excel row and column identifiers; I also assume there will be two alpha characters at most Go to the VB Editor (ALT+F11) Insert>Module Paste these two functions in the code window: Function PartOne(a As String) As String Dim i As Long For ...

Displaying itmes in list that have a quanity next to them
I have a spread sheet with 2 tabs. I use the 1st tab to list items and prices.. i.e. Quanity Description Price 1 Telephone A 34.95 0 telephone B 43.95 5 Telephone C 32.43 7 Telephone D 54.98 0 Telephone E 43.44 Note I have about 60 of these On Sheet 2, I want to list in a Row by Row, the items that have a quanity next to them i.e. Quanity Description Price 1 Telephone A 34.95 5 Telephone C 32.43 7 ...

move row data to columns
We had a problem with some test data and instead of test results being recorded in multiple rows 5 columns wide, all of the data was recorded in one row multiple columns wide. The data consists of 5 readings taken every second for a period of 2 hours. Each reading is in it's own cell (no cell contains more than one reading). Do you know of a way that I can move each set of readings (5 test results) into it's own 5 column wide row? i.e. currently shows in single row as: 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 128, 128, 128, 128, 128, 234, 234, 234, 234, 234, etc. and I need in 5 column wide rows: 0, 0, 0, ...

Pivot Table Data
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 006B899F86256E2F_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" I have a file that contains pivot tables along with some buttons and macros to change the way the pivot table looks depending on what type of information that you would like to view. The pivot table is based on data on a separate worksheet but is within the same workbook (separate tabs). If I change my data source (i.e. I change the names of individuals to new names) and refresh my pivot table, the information changes like I want it to. However, if I de...

UK Fantasy Football Player Data?
Hi, Does anyone know where I can get hold of excel spreadsheets with player data for the forth coming UK Fantasy Football season? -- Rich http://www.ukfantasyfootball.info ...

how do i make square bullets for a check off list.
Format - Bullets and numbering -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "howard" <howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CA667D1-A518-44C5-A644-EAE6EADC37F8@microsoft.com... > ...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Data Type Problem
Hi Experts In VC++, the maximum range for data type is 10 bytes which is the range for long double __int64 has 8 bytes range. Is there any data type which has range more than 10 bytes? Is there any data type which has range 16 bytes If not supported, then can i create my own data type which range should be more than 10 bytes? if yes then please reply thanks If you need to play with huge sections of numbers, you can always use a unsigned char array, and use bit shifting backwards and forwards for calculation (complex). Otherwise, for numbers there are other string ba...

NTFS file meta data
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit How can I set the From, Subject, To properties of Outlook MSG files to display in a manner as EML files? I have folders of thousands of these files and would love to create a batch processors to do this. TIA Russ ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: image/png; name="Capture.PNG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Conte...

Select contact then hangs

Data from multiple sheets and workbooks
Each week I receive a workbook from one of my customers. It contains mutliple sheets with salesnumbers from all the branch of my customer. Each sheet contains from 1 000 to 15 000 lines of salesdata. Every article sold gets one line in the sheets. Each workbook are named "weeknr.xls" and are stored in the same folder. Now my question/problem. I need to gather all sales info for one branch on one article from all the weeks. I know how to get the data from one workbook to another, but how do I get it to scan all the workbooks in the folder. Any ideas. Dim oFSO Sub LoopFolder...

Auto-fill Price List and Unit of Measure? 07-02-04
Does anyone know how to automatically fill the Price List field when a customer is selected for Quote or Order with the Customer's default price list? Same question for default Unit of Measure when a product is selected? michael@engcc.com If you create the Quote/Order within the Account/Contact that has a Price List associated, then it will default it. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com San Francisco, CA >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know how to automatically fill the Price List >field when a customer is selected for Quote or Order with >th...

Selecting rows from various sheets

Graphing only some of the data?
I have a spreadsheet with groups of repeating rows and cells that look something like this 1AA 1AB 1A 1BA 2BB 2B 1CA 1CB 1C 2AA 2AB 2A 2BA 2BB 2B 2CA 2CB 2C The rows/cells beginning with "1" make up one batch of data. The rows/cells beginning with "2" make up another. I add a new batch every week. I want to create a graph that captures only 1CC, 2CC, 3CC, 4CC, etc. There are always the same numbers of rows between the cells. I've thought about capturing 1CC, 2CC, 3CC, etc in a list in another area of the spreadsheet and graphing that list, but I don't ...

Field list not showing up
Excel 2007...no matter what I do the field list does not show up. when I select hide the pivot table frame goes blank, when I unhide I get the basic table verbiage, but no field list. Any thoughts? Actually when I go to fullpage view I can get the field list, but in normal view cannot get the field list to appear. driving me nuts. "JeffVA" wrote: > Excel 2007...no matter what I do the field list does not show up. when I > select hide the pivot table frame goes blank, when I unhide I get the basic > table verbiage, but no field list. > > Any thoughts? ...

How do I change the elements displayed in the message list
How do I change the elements displayed in the message list. For example, to list "To" or "From" edit the view - to change just one folder, click on the row of field names and choose custom. To make all folders the same see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

select text in Calendar

Creating an lookup price-list
I am trying to build a lookup list in excel but unable to decide how to proceede ? Let me try to illustrate the problem here: I have a price-list workbook which has data like below: Header Row -> Name Brand Packing Price Data Row 1 -> Horlicks Nestle 500 g $10.00 Data Row 2 -> Britannia Nestle 500 g $3.99 Data Row 3 -> Taj Mahal ITC 250 g $7.78 Data Row 4 -> Seaking Grasim 100 ml $4.23 I want to create another worksheet where users can select Names from a dropdown and automaticall the brand, packaging and price column would be filled. Basically the i...

Importing data 02-12-04
Does anyone know if you can import data into the cases? I know you can import into the contacts, but can you import cases? The Data Migration Framework should be able to do this. Gill >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know if you can import data into the cases? I >know you can import into the contacts, but can you import >cases? >. > ...

Can I add Java Data types in Microsoft Visio?
I want to design a UML diagram of a java application. Can i add Java data types in Microsoft Visio 2003? ...