Selecting a range from a dynamic column heading

Hi All -

I'm trying to select a range from a spreadsheet from a button click
(and then user will see a graph popup - he will NOT have to select
anything ..just click on the button).

Problem is that there is that the spreadsheet is dynamic with each user
(depending on what columns he wants to view).

for Person 1 spreadsheet could look like:

name          date        state        age           height
  weight
jack        5/2/05         TX            54             126
       205
jack        5/3/05         TX            54             126
       206
jack        5/4/05         TX            54             126
       201

for person 2 spreasheet could look like:

name          age        height       weight        date
state
jack            56         TX            205             5/2/05
   TX
jack            56         TX            206             5/3/05
   TX
jack            56         TX            201             5/4/05
   TX

The column headings are always in the same row (Row 6).

If you could help me out with selecting the range, for each category
(age, weight, height, date), that would be awesome!

Here's what i have so far, that definitely doesn't work...
Dim RowStart As Integer
Dim ColCount As Integer
Dim ColStart As Integer
Dim rngA As range

ColCount = Columns.Count
ColStart = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Column
RowStart = ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Row

For Each rngA In ActiveSheet
Offset
    For i = ColStart + 1 To ColStart + ColCount - 1
        'this is supposed to look at the column heading and read the
name
        Select Case ThisWorksheet.CurrentRegion.Cells(6, i)
            'if the name is age, then set the range to the stuff below
            Case "age"
                Set ageSeries =
ThisWorksheet.range(ThisWorksheet.CurrentRegion.Cells(7, i))
        End Select
    Next i
Next rngA

Thanks again so much for any help you have!!!
rebekah

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about just continuing your select case stuff and get all the ranges:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    Dim NameRng As Range
    Dim DateRng As Range
    Dim StateRng As Range
    Dim AgeRng As Range
    Dim HeightRng As Range
    Dim WeightRng As Range

    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Dim LastCol As Long
    Dim iCol As Long

    Set NameRng = Nothing
    Set DateRng = Nothing
    Set StateRng = Nothing
    Set AgeRng = Nothing
    Set HeightRng = Nothing
    Set WeightRng = Nothing

    With ActiveSheet
        FirstRow = 1 'where headers are
        LastCol = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

        For iCol = 1 To LastCol
            Select Case LCase(.Cells(1, iCol).Value)
                Case Is = "name"
                  Set NameRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
                Case Is = "date"
                  Set DateRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
                Case Is = "state"
                  Set StateRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
                Case Is = "age"
                  Set AgeRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
                Case Is = "height"
                  Set HeightRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
                Case Is = "weight"
                  Set WeightRng = .Range(.Cells(1, iCol), .Cells(LastRow, iCol))
            End Select
        Next iCol

        If NameRng Is Nothing _
         Or DateRng Is Nothing _
         Or StateRng Is Nothing _
         Or AgeRng Is Nothing _
         Or HeightRng Is Nothing _
         Or WeightRng Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox "Not all ranges found!"
            Exit Sub
        End If

        'your code to create the chart.

    End With

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

Run report on multi selected records.

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Counting number of dates in a column
Hi - Is there a way to count the number of dates in a column that contains both text and dates ? thanks, Rick Hi Rick try =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(A1:A1000))) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rick wrote: > Hi - Is there a way to count the number of dates in a > column that contains both text and dates ? > > thanks, > > Rick Thanks Frank ! Quick question - what do the two dashes do in the formula? thx Rick >-----Original Message----- >Hi Rick >try >=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(A1:A1000))) > >-- >Regards >Frank Kabel >Frankfurt, G...

Vertical line on column chart with monthly data
I am attempting to add a vertical line to a dynamic column chart. I've followed the steps described by Jon Peltier at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineVertSeries.html This procedure works fine until I change the base unit on the x-axis to "Days." This causes the columns to turn into vertical lines (since each monthly observation is really for, e.g., 6/1/2007). If I leave the x-axis as monthly and then add the secondary x-axis for the vertical (xy scatter) line, the scale on the secondary x-axis goes from 1/1/1900 - 12/1/2036, which shoves my vertical line far t...

Function to multiple ranges
Which function may be used with multiple ranges? Commonly used "lookups", "index" and "match" don't seem to work. Is there a trick in multiple ranges? Tomek Polak Some functions work, others don't. INDEX has a 4th argument that allows you to specify the area (which of the multiple ranges). The lookup and match functions require a single contiguous block of cells. On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:19:08 +0100, "Tomek" <tpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Which function may be used with multiple ranges? > >Commonly used "lookups",...

How do I have stacked columns and a reg col. on same chart?
I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to be next to them. Can anyone help? Please? "Kat" wrote: > I have three variables - payroll expenses, vendor expenses, and management > fees. I want payroll and vendor to be on top of eachother, and management to > be next to them. Can anyone help? Hi, Have a look at Jon's page which has a collection of links to examples of how to produce clustered stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Clus...

Select contact then hangs

CListCtrl: Changing the Column Header Layout
Hi all, I'm using a CListCtrl and I need another layout of the column header, especially - 2 lines of header text - changed background and forground colours - changeable y-Size I that possible? I cannot find any information about. Thanks in advance Richard You should be able to get the header control and do anything with it you want. Go to the MSDN, look under the topic "ClistCtrl class", and about 17 subitems into it there is a topic called "header controls" which explains all this. GetHeaderCtrl is what you are looking for. joe On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58...

Dynamic External Links
Hello all... My goal with this report is to link to an external workbook. I am using a formula to dynamically create the file I will be linkin to. ="'\\Igus-amd-0320\Operations\Operations Info\AC Reports\[ACD_Daily_Paste_"&TEXT(MONTH(C5-7)&"/"&DAY(C5-7)&"/"&YEAR(C5),"mmm")&".xls]"&TEXT((C5-7),"mmdd")&"-Sum'!$A$3:$w$200" Returns '\\Igus-amd-0320\Operations\Operations Info\AC Reports\[ACD_Daily_Paste_Aug.xls]0824-Sum'!$A$3:$w$200 The formula result is the exact range I nee...

Selecting rows from various sheets

select text in Calendar

x-axis range
How do I get the x-axis to be a range of "values" instead of "categories"? I am trying to do a line chart with values over a % range, but I do not have values evenly spaced over the entire range (The chart is asymptotic and I only need to see values from 0 to 40 or so) e.g.: X Y 0.5% 28.8% 1% 44.8% 2% 62.2% 5% 80.9% 10% 89.9% 15% 93.4% 20% 95.3% 35% 97.7% I get the X axis evenly spaced in 8 categories. Seems like older versions of Excel (I am using Office XP/2002) allowed me to set the range and divisions within the range. How do I handle this now? ...

Link select with a blast

How do I convert a column from USD to GBP
I am trying to convert a column of USD figures in excel into GBP then I want to add 92% - is there a formula I can use? with your value in A1, in B1 enter: =A1+(A1*.92) format as Currency and select the GBP currency Symbol HTH Bruce -- swatsp0p ------------------------------------------------------------------------ swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=383116 Hi Lisa, Image you have the exchange rage (i.e. the number of dollars in a pound) in cell B2 and ...

Multiple excel sheets with same headings
I have 14 sheets with me for 14 different users. Now I want the data to come out of it for each person. The sheets are titled by the names of the individuals. Can MS Query be used for this? If yes, how? If not, then what shall I do? -- mohitmahajan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mohitmahajan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8130 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470132 ...

How do I add different ranges in a column together?
I have a large column of numbers and need to select random numbers that I need to total. Rather than adidng one cell at a time. How do I add multiple ranges within the column together? Thank you If they're ranges (as in groups of consecutive cells) you can use SUM, as in =sum(a1:a5,a20:a43, ... ). If they're cells that are selected based on the value of some other cell in the same row, you can use sumif: =sumif(b:b,"Selection",a:a) would add the values in column A of the rows where column B is equal to "Selection". If it's really pretty random, I'...

Stop named ranges being copied
I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. But I do not want to copy the named ranges associated with the first workbook to the second. How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. >>How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. You can't. A named range is just as much a part of a sheet as anything else. Delete the name(s) after you copy a sheet. -- Jim <bmatheson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183722346.818571.213860@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. > >...

dynamic resource
Hi, Anybody know how to load e.g. bitmap into resource dynamicaly? The bitmap file will be downloaded by application itself , so it has to be somehow inserted into resource and displayed. thanks What do you mean by "into resoure dynamically"? Do you want to load a ..bmp file and display it? If yes, take a look at GDI+, which is by far the easiest way to achieve this. ---------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com I misspelled this, yes I'd like to load new bitmap on the fly. But resource file looks like is static. I use ATL/MFC applicatation. "Ajay Kalra" <aja...

Select Case in a Change Event

Two-Column problem
Using Arrange, Layout Guides, I set up Publisher 2002 with two columns per page and with two master pages with mirrored guides. For the first 11 pages, text flowed as expected. That is, each new pair of pages had two textboxes per page. But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, not two. How do I force Publisher to give me two textboxes per page, as it did for the first 11 pages? (I might be missing something obvious. I haven't used Publisher in several years.) Thanks. Charley After mana...

Select Records based another table...

How to freeze a range in excel 2003and 2007
I want to freeze a group of cells in excel 2007 but when I click on the freeze panes, top row or first column: nothing happens- I mean it scrolls up and down. Also is there anyway I can print an excel worksheet which is several pages long and still have the headings (which is in say the first 3 rows ie A1 - E1 down to A3 - E3) printed on each page? Lets say the headings are on only page 1 but i want it to be on page 2,3,4 to the last page when printed. Can freezing do that? Thanks. Hi In order the Freeze Panes, your cursor needs to be one cell below, and one cell the the right of the Row an...