Selecting a large range of cells?

I'm not too strong with Excel so this might be an easy question.

I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need to
sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time. I know
how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and dragging the
highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" / "Sort". This
just takes way too long to do each time for a range this size.

I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having to
"grab" it all manually.

Is there?

THANKS.

0
no (445)
4/10/2008 7:13:37 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Type the range in the namebox*, eg:  A1:BB1000
then press ENTER
*the dropdown just to the left of the formula bar
--
Max
Singapore
"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm not too strong with Excel so this might be an easy question.
>
> I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need
> to sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time. I
> know how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and
> dragging the highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" /
> "Sort". This just takes way too long to do each time for a range this
> size.
>
> I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having to
> "grab" it all manually.
>
> Is there?
>
> THANKS.

0
demechanik (4694)
4/10/2008 7:28:35 PM
Great, that helps a lot. THANKS.

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Type the range in the namebox*, eg:  A1:BB1000
> then press ENTER
> *the dropdown just to the left of the formula bar
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not too strong with Excel so this might be an easy question.
>>
>> I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need
>> to sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time.
>> I know how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and
>> dragging the highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" /
>> "Sort". This just takes way too long to do each time for a range this
>> size.
>>
>> I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having
>> to "grab" it all manually.
>>
>> Is there?
>>
>> THANKS.

0
no (445)
4/10/2008 7:42:31 PM
Welcome
--
> Great, that helps a lot. THANKS.

0
demechanik (4694)
4/10/2008 8:08:04 PM
Max wrote:

>"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>> I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need
>> to sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time. I
>> know how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and
>> dragging the highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" /
>> "Sort". This just takes way too long to do each time for a range this
>> size.
>>
>> I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having to
>> "grab" it all manually.

>Type the range in the namebox*, eg:  A1:BB1000
>then press ENTER
>*the dropdown just to the left of the formula bar>>

Even simpler - select any cell in the range, and use Data/ Sort.
It applies to the whole range, so long as there are no completely
blank rows.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon  Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
0
chris3823 (13)

Run report on multi selected records.

When shading cells using the 'pattern' option, they print in grey.
When trying to print a 'pattern' in cell shading, it prints only as grey-scale solids. Do the patterns not print, or is it "averaging" the pattern into a solid? Printer dpi is 600, and appears as a pattern on Preview. ...

Can't select objects in Excel 2007

Function to multiple ranges
Which function may be used with multiple ranges? Commonly used "lookups", "index" and "match" don't seem to work. Is there a trick in multiple ranges? Tomek Polak Some functions work, others don't. INDEX has a 4th argument that allows you to specify the area (which of the multiple ranges). The lookup and match functions require a single contiguous block of cells. On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:19:08 +0100, "Tomek" <tpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Which function may be used with multiple ranges? > >Commonly used "lookups",...

Select contact then hangs

Selecting rows from various sheets

buggy cell miscalculates SUM function
Cell B19 does not SUM the preceding 5 cells correctly. It gives a valu of 9 when it should be 42. The problem might be with cell B16, which it seems to pass over. TIA Spreadsheet attache Attachment filename: calwin foster care training analysis - demo.xl Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=58266 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try formatting that B16 cell as General and then reenter the value. (excel may have been seeing your value in B16 as text) "lindasf <" wrote: > > Cell B19 does not SUM the preceding 5 cells corr...

Referencing a referenced cell
Sheet1!C4 contains the formula =Sheet2!A1 I want Sheet1!D4 to find out what cell Sheet1!C4 is referencing an then return the value two columns over. (Offset will take care o returning the value two columns over). My problem is I need to kno which cell Sheet1!C$ is referencing. If I use the formul "=OFFSET(Sheet1!C4,0,1)" I get the value from one column to the righ of Sheet1!C4, I need the value of one column to the right of the cel being referenced by Sheet1!C4, (Sheet2!A1) How would I do this. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see your post in Excel.mis...

select text in Calendar

Excel 2000
I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional Hi not possible in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roy S" <Roy S@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BE9E61EA-466E-4391-8400-5967977E9325@microsoft.com... > I used to have this option by right clicking and selecting split. However i > don't have it now. I had it on WIN2000 and now I have XP proffesional I bet you're thinking about a table in MSWord???? Roy S wrote: > &g...

x-axis range
How do I get the x-axis to be a range of "values" instead of "categories"? I am trying to do a line chart with values over a % range, but I do not have values evenly spaced over the entire range (The chart is asymptotic and I only need to see values from 0 to 40 or so) e.g.: X Y 0.5% 28.8% 1% 44.8% 2% 62.2% 5% 80.9% 10% 89.9% 15% 93.4% 20% 95.3% 35% 97.7% I get the X axis evenly spaced in 8 categories. Seems like older versions of Excel (I am using Office XP/2002) allowed me to set the range and divisions within the range. How do I handle this now? ...

Link select with a blast

Dragging and dropping cells with the keyboard
Is there anyway to drag and drop cells using keyboard shortcuts For example in Word you can highlight text, press F2 and then move the cursor to the desired locatiion and press enter I know you can copy/cut and paste but dragging and dropping cells with formulas maintains cell references without having to input '$' holding signs. This would be particularly helpful for large ranges Thank you for your time Tom You can cut (Ctrl+X), then use the arrow keys to another cell, and paste (Ctrl+V). The original references are maintained. Or, select a cell, and press the F2 key to enter Edi...

How do I add different ranges in a column together?
I have a large column of numbers and need to select random numbers that I need to total. Rather than adidng one cell at a time. How do I add multiple ranges within the column together? Thank you If they're ranges (as in groups of consecutive cells) you can use SUM, as in =sum(a1:a5,a20:a43, ... ). If they're cells that are selected based on the value of some other cell in the same row, you can use sumif: =sumif(b:b,"Selection",a:a) would add the values in column A of the rows where column B is equal to "Selection". If it's really pretty random, I'...

Can you abort a send-in-process for a too-large message?
Running OL2007 under Vista Home Premium. BudV;143450 Wrote: > Running OL2007 under Vista Home Premium. Sure. Go to File, Work offline. Wait 5 min then delete the file and go back online. -- Slipstick 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com) 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/) -- http://forums.slipstick.com ...

Stop named ranges being copied
I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. But I do not want to copy the named ranges associated with the first workbook to the second. How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. >>How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. You can't. A named range is just as much a part of a sheet as anything else. Delete the name(s) after you copy a sheet. -- Jim <bmatheson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183722346.818571.213860@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. > >...

Need help pulling data from cells in different workbooks
Hi, let me try and explain this the best I can: say i have a workbook with 2 pages, on the first sheet, in cells C27 C47, C67 and C87 on the Sheet2, I want to make a list. in that list contains data fro cells C27, C47, C67 and C87 from Sheet1 . on sheet2, the list wil look like: List ='Sheet1!C27 ='Sheet1!C47 ='Sheet1!C67 ='Sheet1!C87 Is there any easy way to pull that data without doing each lin individually. I know i can put in the = and pick the cell on the othe sheet, but I have 100's of cells I need to get data from. If i try an copy paste each line, it does...

File search Dir() problem with large directories
Please somebody help me with my code. I am read almost every post regarding the changes to filesearch in 2007 and transfered my program over the to utilise the Dir() function . However when search large directories (files over around 100,000) the code falls over - losing network connection and stating invalid function. Could somebody advise if my code is at fault? Function findfilespath(pathname As String, tmpfilenametype As String, tmpdelete As String, tmpsource As String) Dim dbsanother As Object, rstfiles As Recordset Set dbsanother = CurrentDb Set rstfiles = dbsanother.OpenRec...

Select Case in a Change Event

Macro to switch to another sheet, grab ref to any cell, paste ref in current sheet??
I am looking for a way (either macro or VBA) to perform one simple task: while in *any cell* of your choice in the current worksheet, switch to another specific sheet, choose *any* cell, grab a reference to that cell (not its value), switch back to the first worksheet and slap in the reference of the cell in the other sheet. This would be the automated equivalent of doing the following manually: 1) Select *any cell* (say *F11*) in the current sheet (Call it "*Destination*"). 2) Press "=" (no "ENTER") 3) Click the tab for the other sheet (call it "*Source*&...

NDRs Not Being Generated on Large Emails
When a large email gets sent out (in my case over 3MB), I do not receive an NDR. So the user is left thinking that it went out because he/she never gets notified that it was not delivered. The Application Log has EVENT ID 3004 with a Source being - MSEXCHANGEIMC which states: An NDR could not be sent. This is most likely because the original message had a blank originating address. In most cases this is normal behavior, although it can sometimes indicate a local or remote server configuration problem. If archiving was enabled at the time of failure, you should be able to find the fa...

Excel change SUM references if you cut & paste the first cell in SUM...
Hi, A problem came from a user today. Set up: IN A1: " =SUM(A2:A6) " and in A8: " =SUM(A9:A13) " and fill in some figures in A9:A13. Cut A10 and paste it to A4. everything is ok. If I cut A9 you get "Circular Reference error, because the formula in A8 has changed to: " =SUM(A4:A13) " and the old SUM it still there in A8. Why? Should it be that way, and what is the purpose? Any workarounds? /Kind regards I think the developers had to make a decision. The one that they came up with was if you cut a cell out of the middle of a range, then trust the us...