Is it possible to search on the results on a cell?

For example, a cell may have a formula such as

=3+5

You can search and find the 3 or the 5.  The cell with show 8, is it
possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell?

TIA

0
berj (7)
2/4/2005 9:01:56 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible to search on the results on a cell?
>
> For example, a cell may have a formula such as
>
> =3+5
>
> You can search and find the 3 or the 5.  The cell with show 8, is it
> possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell?
>
> TIA

0
nicolaus (2022)
2/4/2005 9:36:51 AM
Thank you!

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values.
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to search on the results on a cell?
>>
>> For example, a cell may have a formula such as
>>
>> =3+5
>>
>> You can search and find the 3 or the 5.  The cell with show 8, is it
>> possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell?
>>
>> TIA

Is it possible to have that option be the default?

Berj

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values.
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Niek Otten
>
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Is it possible to search on the results on a cell?
>>
>> For example, a cell may have a formula such as
>>
>> =3+5
>>
>> You can search and find the 3 or the 5.  The cell with show 8, is it
>> possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell?
>>
>> TIA

Saved from a previous post:

Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the
first search in that session.

You can use that to your advantage.

You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder.  Have a
macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you
like).  Then closes and gets out of the way.

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    Worksheets("sheet1").Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
            LookIn:=xlValues, _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
            SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
out of the way.

--

Dave Peterson
0

search help
I have a form which contain 2 unbound text boxes and a subform. 1st text box is where I input client's ID and 2nd textbox is for client's name. I have set the child and master field for subform to clients ID on subform and 1st testbox on main form. This works fine if I only have to search by client's ID. My problem is how do I make the subform to requery if ,say the client forget his ID # or search using ID produce no result, and I have to search by name using 2nd textbox as a search string. I tried changing the master and child field link using code but that didn't work...li...

Windows Explorer Search Function does not work
The search function in Windows Explorer has stopped working. What do I do? If you go to Start>Run , then type in the following commands one at a time: or copy/paste. regsvr32 urlmon.dll regsvr32 jscript.dll regsvr32 wshom.ocx Each should prompt a confirmation box saying it has been successful. This should fix your problems! "trh" <r.howard1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:A56dnVi2D-nadoPWnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d@giganews.com... > The search function in Windows Explorer has stopped working. What do I do? > > begin 666 quote.gif M...

Search formula showing results plus 100 characters
I use a formula to find text in a particular text and ask the results plus the next 100 characters to display in another cell. I was wondering if there was a way to show the proceeding characters. The formula i am using is: =MID($G6&$H6,SEARCH(C$2,$G6&$H6),100) =LEFT(G6&H6,SEARCH(C2,C6&H6)-1) "Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4226FC3-1108-4C51-8563-12B32E2C0231@microsoft.com... > I use a formula to find text in a particular text and ask the results plus > the next 100 characters to display in another cell. I was w...

How do I put a "search bar" on my website?
Hello, I have an online store which i made with Publisher 2007 and I would like to put a search bar on it. Just like most websites you go to , you can enter a keyword and it comes up with a list of results... Please help Don't reply to this question, I found answers on the web page design discussion board.. thank you anyway "Kristy" wrote: > Hello, > > I have an online store which i made with Publisher 2007 and I would like to > put a search bar on it. Just like most websites you go to , you can enter a > keyword and it comes up with a list of resu...

Search and Replace inside Contacts
Is there any way to change and replace ALL inside outlook2000 -Contacts? I need to find all (3) and replace them by (03) and so on. I tryed to use export option to a comma separated value file editing it and then importing it back to outlook - but I failed in both DOS and Windows options. Any suggestions? ...

how do I search for any cell containing data and apply conditiona.
hi, I have a spreadsheet where when the data has been entered I wish to apply conditional formatting so that any cell which contains any type of data has a border around it. Does anyone know who to do this. Hi clcik on Format|Conditional formatting, then change cel value option not equal to, and enter ="". Under Format, select borders, select the border you want and OK out of the windows. "Dawn" wrote: > hi, I have a spreadsheet where when the data has been entered I wish to > apply conditional formatting so that any cell which contains any type of data...

excel search function
i created a big excel file with many sheets. in every sheet (except sheet 1 and 2) is a special id number in column B. now i want to make a search function on sheet 1 to get linked to the sheet (cell) where the number-which i`m looking for, is. how can i do this? heeellllp! :confused: -- claudia1907 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claudia1907's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26973 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401870 I think I would prefer to name that cell, id1, i...

Fixed assets reports
Hello Are there any plans to include more search criterias for Fixed Assets reports in GP? You cannot run FA depreciation reports to look at history figures. It would be good if you can run the report and filter by date or FA periods. Is it possible to add search criterias to GP reports? Kind regards Fiona ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in...

A question about converting text to excel and automatically searching data
New to this so please forgive me... I have been transfered to a new department at work where they are usin Excel 2000 for a series of reports. The data they are using to fill i the fields for these reports are hard copies of 5 thick reports. Ever day they are spending 2 hours digging through 5 stacks of reports t fill in fields in excel when I am POSITIVE that it can be don electronically. What they are doing now...frightens me.... The formats of each of the records are somewhat different but they al fall into a type where you have columms seperated by spaces... Dispatch Flig...

Search util that shows results in Outlook and open Encrypted emails
Might someone help me relocate a search utility that integrates directly into Outlook to the point of showing search results in Outlook and which also allows it to open S/MIME encrypted emails? Thanks!!!!! G'Day Nemo, There is an attachment for Outlook called (appropriately enough) LookOut. See http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/lookoutinfo.html where it is available free. This software (and the Company) has been acquired by Microsoft. It looks like it will disappear soon, or be 'absorbed' into the MSN Toolbar. While it was originally designed to index your e-mail messag...

Searching closed entities in CRM
I want to use the simple "Look For" search in the VIEWS of an entity. The problem is that it will only search Active records, not closed/inactive. An example would be searching for a company in the Opportunities view. I want to find how many opportunites they have, open and closed. It will only find the open ones. Is there a way to change that search to work for both? -- Client Solutions Manager Micro Strategies Updating the "Look For" for different state status is currently not supported out of the box. Try the Advanced Find/Personal View, hope that is good e...

Additonal Smartlist Search
I have a client who is on GP8 and only has SmartList (not SmartList Builder). Is there any way to increase the search criteria to be more than 4 fields? Or change the Filters to include a "IS NOT ONE OF" -- Tammy Chavez No, there's not. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Tammy Chavez" wrote: > I have a client who is on GP8 and only has SmartList (not SmartList Builder). > Is there any way to increase the search criteria to be more than 4 fields? > Or change the Filters to include a "IS NOT ONE OF" > -- > Tammy Chavez Charles is right with t...

Not possible to include archive in a search
Am I correct in thinging that it is not possible to include an Outlook 2002 archive in an Outlook 2002 search? Beemer ...

Searching tables for similar entries
Hi, I have this customer table and a transaction table on another file. Is it possible to search the transaction table and calculate values on the transaction table and put it in the customer table? e.g Customer table -------------------- customer name accountno abc ltd 1238 bcd corp 3456 Trans table -------------------- accountno price qty 1234 00* 10 5 3456 00* 20 1 1234 00* 2 3 *The file i received have this formating 1234<afewspace>00 and I was unable to use vlookup to match the tables. Thanks in advance....

Search Folder for "Follow up" in Deleted folder
I hate having a large Inbox and prefer to delete items after I read them. However I would like to take advantage of Outlooks "Follow up" Search folder to search on flagged items The default folder will not search on items in the Deleted folder Is there a way to create a Search folder that will search for flagged items across all folders; including Deleted Thanks Jeff In news:1126659017.522440.221740@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, orbojeff <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> typed: > I hate having a large Inbox and prefer to delete items after I read > them. > However I w...

Search for Uncommitted PO Quantities From Sales Order Processing
Hello, I need help understanding this option in POP setup. The help file says: "Indicate whether you want back-ordered quantities from Sales Order Processing to be linked to existing purchase order line items with uncommitted quantities. If you don't mark the selection, new purchase orders always will be created to fill Sales Order Processing shortages." Does this option mean that GP will automatically search out backordered sales docs and automatically link them to purchase orders that have available quantities that are not already committed to sales docs? Then...

Addon search
I am searching for an addon to do the following. I figured there's somebody out there maybe doing this and somebody on this group might have worked with something like this already. A prospective customer of ours sells linear based inventory. The stock it by the foot. Their current system (which is no longer being supported) has the following feature. The "order taker" can type in number of pieces OR feet OR inches and the system calculates the quantity in feet or fraction of a foot. Is there an addon out there that does the above scenario? They do not want to have t...

Capture search term
Suppose somebody searches for "hello world" in a search engine and my site is in the search results. They click my site. How do I determine that "hello world" was the search term they used to get to my site? -- Everything I do is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. (W.C. Fields) ...

Help with query searching within a string
I want to enter data character by character into a combo box and search the field for matching records. Ex: if I type in "a" any records containing the letter a anywhwere in the string. If I then type "h" the list will be reduced to any records containing "ah" within the string. etc etc. I assume this will go in the criteria box under the field I am searching. Is this possible? Thanks Brad Brad "within the string" is different than "starts with". A combobox can use the AutoComplete property to help you find a row that "starts...

Searching in a column of strings
Hi I try to find how many cells have a sequence of charcters. From Cell A1:A50. Exemple for "NY" : cellA1 = NY123 cellA2 = NY3235 cellA3 = NY5434 cellA4 = LA4234 function(NY) = 3 Like Seach but instead to be in a single cell, it's in a sequence of cell? Thanks Jack Jack =COUNTIF($A:$A,"*NY*") Regards Trevor "Jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:348501c3fd71$700c6c60$a001280a@phx.gbl... > > Hi > > I try to find how many cells have a sequence of > charcters. From Cell A1:A50. > > Exe...

Please help! Multifile search...
First off, please forgive me if this is posted somewhere else. I looked but could not quite get anything to work for my issue. I have 2 .xls files. The first file is an order list, and contains the item name in colum c, and the quantity in column d. There are multiple listings of eac item in this file. EXAMPLE: Column C Columd D wireset 8 monitor 2 keyboard 1 wireset 4 CPU 1 What I meed to do is figure out how to do a search for "wireset" an get...

Email Search Help Please
I am using Outlook 2002 with Small Business Server 2000 (Exchange 2000) Recently, I have deleted existing profiles in Outlook on all workstations and created new ones. The only other thing I did is created new POP3 Connector accounts in Exchange 2000 Here is my problem. Before I did what I described above, when I performed searches in Outlook, the search results would appear how I wanted them, in descending order of dates, newest first and so on. Now however, the search is displaying the oldest emails first and the newest ones come up last. Since archiving takes care of the older emails, I ...

Search actual Formula for cell ref?
Other than using Find from the Edit menu, is there any way of (using formula) searching another formula for a certain cell reference? Let's say I have a single column (B) of 100 similar formulas. I want to check that none of the formulas contain a reference to column H, so want a formula I can enter in the adjacent cell to flag if it does, i.e. = IF (columnB_formula_contains_a_ref_to_column_H, "Y","") I've been using Edit-Find to look for !H in the formulas but want to do it using functions as can see some useful applications of the technique (if it exist...

Still searching for an answer to bibliography problem
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I saw an earlier post about a user seeing Uxbek characters &quot;&amp;#1081;&amp;#1080;&amp;#1083;&quot; in their Word bibliography. I didn't see an appropriate solution posted and the thread is no longer active, so I'm trying it again... <br><br>I use the Word bibliography feature to insert the references I make to various documents in academic papers (APA style). I frequently collaborate with fellow students, sharing Word files and merging them to produce a group project...

Showing Search Criteria
Hello, I don't know if this is a easy task or a Hard Task. But I Have a Query That Filters Out a Search Via a Date Field Which A User in a dialog (which has to unbound text boxes) types 2 Dates, and the query then lists all The Projects Between those Dates. That Works Great, And Ive Created a Report That Shows Those Searched Results, What I Would Like Is on the Report To Be able to Show The 2 Dates The User Searched Between, so When any one is viewing the report they know that the projects are only between those dates? Can This Be Done? Regards Dan Simply refer to the criteria...