Search for Special Characters

------=_NextPart_000_017B_01C422CB.3F61B550

Is there any way to search for special characters in Excel, like a tab, =
for example?  I haven't been able to find one.

--=20
Best Regards,
Clark Murray
------=_NextPart_000_017B_01C422CB.3F61B550

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#000080>Is there any way to search for =
special=20
characters in Excel, like a tab, for example?&nbsp; I haven't been able =
to find=20
one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#000080><BR>-- <BR>Best =
Regards,<BR>Clark=20
Murray</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_017B_01C422CB.3F61B550--

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C42315.4039C630

To my knowledge, it's not possible to have a tab character in Excel. I =
do believe, however, that the TRIM function gets rid of non-printing =
characters.

<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->
Hope this helps!
Anne Troy (better known as Dreamboat)
Author: Dreamboat on Word
Email: Dreamboat*at*Piersontech.com
Web: www.TheOfficeExperts.com
<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->
  "Clark Murray" <clarkmurray@yahoo.com> wrote in message =
  Is there any way to search for special characters in Excel, like a =
tab, for example?  I haven't been able to find one.

  --=20
  Best Regards,
  Clark Murray
------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C42315.4039C630

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To my knowledge, it's not possible to =
have a tab=20
character in Excel. I do believe, however, that the TRIM function gets =
rid of=20
non-printing characters.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&g=
t;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;<BR>Hope=20
this helps!<BR>Anne Troy (better known as Dreamboat)<BR>Author: =
Dreamboat on=20
Word<BR>Email: Dreamboat*at*Piersontech.com<BR>Web: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.TheOfficeExperts.com">www.TheOfficeExperts.com</A><BR>=
&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;&lt;-*-=
&gt;&lt;-*-&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>"Clark Murray" &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:clarkmurray@yahoo.com">clarkmurray@yahoo.com</A>&gt; =
wrote in=20
  message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:uv7ItXwIEHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl">news:uv7ItXwIEHA.3040=
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#000080>Is there any way to search =
for special=20
  characters in Excel, like a tab, for example?&nbsp; I haven't been =
able to=20
  find one.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana color=3D#000080><BR>-- <BR>Best =
Regards,<BR>Clark=20
  Murray</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0098_01C42315.4039C630--

0
dreamboat (74)
4/15/2004 10:12:45 PM
Sometimes you can use the Find dialog and type the character code equivalent.

alt-0010 is the same as Alt-Enter
alt-0009 is the tab

But it didn't work for me for the tab character.  But a little macro did:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim FoundCell As Range
    Dim FindWhat As String

    FindWhat = vbTab  'chr(9)

    With ActiveSheet
        Set FoundCell = .Cells.Find(What:=FindWhat, _
                            After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
                            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                            SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False, _
                            SearchFormat:=False)

        If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox "Not found"
        Else
            MsgBox "found at: " & FoundCell.Address(0, 0)
            FoundCell.Activate
        End If
    End With

End Sub

But Tabs in excel aren't really supported within cells.  They don't work like
tabs in Word do.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Search & replace in formulae

Searching for Newsgroups

Search engine optimization

Paste Special Enhancement Request
I have a cell that contains a formula and formatting. I want to copy the output from the formula and it's formatting. If I do "Paste Special" I can choose "Value" to paste the value of the copied cell, but I cannot copy the format, as the choices are radio buttons and so mutually exclusive. It would be nice if these options could be tick boxes, so that more than one can be selected. Is this possible/planned? I am using Office 2003, so it is possible this is implemented in 2007. But you could do two consecutive paste specials--values followed by format. jcombe@ac...

excel VBA

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...

How can I search for a phrase within thousands of documents 2003 search I searched for "Trust" in document name and "special needs" within document -- Irritated 2007 Word User You could do that by modifying the code in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm probably in combination with the code in the article "Insert into a document the names of all files in a selected folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InsertFileNames.htm ...

special characters and 4 backticks
I have a file with [ in a name: my[file.txt If i want to dir with wildcard like this: dir my[* i have to use backtick to escape that special character [, right? So i run: dir my`[* But i get this error: Get-ChildItem : The specified wildcard pattern is not valid: R[* At line:1 char:4 + dir <<<< R[* + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-ChildItem], WildcardPatternException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : RuntimeException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand But if u use use 4 backticks it works: dir my````[* Mode ...

How do I delete the last character in a field in Excell?
for some reason when i export my contacts to a csv the email addresses are not separted by a comma but by a semicolon. i used the formula that seperates first name and last name together into two seperate columns searching for semicolon instead of space. the result is that a proportion of the email addresses are suffixed by a semicolon. how do i delete the semicolon? thanks Hi You could just use Find/Replace for this to keep life simple. Andy. "andrewcodd" <andrewcodd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C58BCDAC-C7BF-4340-9D64-E3F1880E6F36@microsoft....

search
Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search for a message on the screen and get nothing. mvestel@lbl.gov Sorry, that's not enough info. It should work if the parameters are configured correctly. Can you be more specific about how it fails? "Michael Vestel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45bb01c39f70$922026c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never > get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search > for a message on ...

Search for record which needs two search terms
I have a table where the records are uniquely identified by a combination of two fields ChildAOLTermID and PhotoID. I want to use a combo on a form to look up records in the table. In the AfterUpdate event: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) works but doesn't get me to the precise record I need because the PhotoID side of the record is not being specified. However, if I add that so that the search looks like: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) And "[Phot...

Can anyone tell me how to search across all worksheets in a workbook? I have a viewing diary with a sheet for every day of the month and it would really help if we could search the whole workbook for a name. Many thanks Michele Hi Michele Slect all sheets first. It's done this way: Click sheet tab of the first sheet. Hold Shift button and click the the last sheet tab. Now search. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Michele" <mjh1606@aol.com> wrote in message news:011301c35926$07b30d30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell m...

How can I increase the character capcity of an Excel cell?
The current maximum is about 1,100. Excel can hold 32k characters of text and around 1000 in a formula. You can't change this fact of life. -- Jim "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:442F16AB-1C7A-45CD-9A6F-E2C8282A2CDC@microsoft.com... | The current maximum is about 1,100. You can increase the ability of the cell to *display* more characters (cell can *contain* approx. 32,000) by strategically inserting forced line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) within the text. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please kee...

Need a special bar graph
Hello, I want to represent the birth and death of several historical figures in a horizontal line graph, given the birth and death dates. For example, consider the following. Pericles, -495 to -429 Socrates – 469 to -439 The graph I have in mind is somewhat like a Gantt chart. The graph techniques that I see in Excel only allow for one point, and always reference zero. What would you suggest for a graph of these? Thank you, Keith Here is my data (I do wish we had a better way of showing data!) born died Pericles -495 -429 Socrates...

Good Morning: I am in the middle of an email audit and I am trying to do searches that meet certain guidelines. An example of a search would be: The searches are like this Frequent within 10 words of Trad* Excessive with in 10 words of Employee Any help would be great. Cheers Darren ...

How can I create a multiple field search box? (corrected post)
Hi, I need assistance in creating a multiple field search box, i have a screen shot but i couldn't find a way to include it in this message. I have been battling with this problem for weeks. the search box was created in foxpro, i'm trying to create a similar search box in ms access 2003. it searches only one table so each table has a search box for it. Here is a description for the search box for the community table which is one of the tables in the database. It has a drop down list that selects all the fields in the table such as area code for the community, community code, and com...