Search and replace problem

Hi,

I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to
mark the cell's "to review".

The symbol used was "(*)".

I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but
Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between
brackets.

Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete
the specific characters.

TIA

Melissa

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a
tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk

in find what put ~* then replace with nothing (I assume you want to remove
it since you said delete so do not put anything in the replace with box)

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com

"Melissa" <isuzu_tribe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to
> mark the cell's "to review".
>
> The symbol used was "(*)".
>
> I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace",
> but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng
> between brackets.
>
> Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to
> delete the specific characters.
>
> TIA
>
> Melissa

0
Peo
7/28/2006 5:18:38 AM
"Peo Sjoblom" <peo.sjoblom@nw^^excelsolutions.com> wrote in message
> It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a
> tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk
>
> in find what put ~* then replace with nothing (I assume you want to remove
> it since you said delete so do not put anything in the replace with box)

Thanks,

Melissa

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> Excel 95 - Excel 2007
> Northwest Excel Solutions
> www.nwexcelsolutions.com
>

> "Melissa" <isuzu_tribe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to
>> mark the cell's "to review".
>>
>> The symbol used was "(*)".
>>
>> I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace",
>> but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng
>> between brackets.
>>
>> Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to
>> delete the specific characters.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Melissa

OMA Problems
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. We have a Front end / back end setup with OWA working fine with and without forms based authentication. I understand there is a problem with SSL/Forms based authentication, so to get OMA working we have disabled this. However we get the following error messages:- Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeOMA Event Category: (1000) Event ID: 1503 Date: 19/02/2006 Time: 20:15:14 User: N/A Computer: FRONTEND Description: An unknown error occurred while processing the current request: Message: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size...

Money+ Auto Download Problem
I erroneously posted this in MoneyCentral and was nicely told this is the correct forum for the post. Forgive the cross-post. I had been a Money 2007 user but had not kept it up-to-date. I got religion and decided to install Money Plus when prompted by the pop-up that a new version was available. I deleted my old accounts, installed Money Plus, created two new accounts (checking & credit), downloaded my checking and credit account from BOA without any problem. Next time I started Money+ the software was trying to download from a third BOA account, (not the checking & credit ...

AfterUpdate Problem
I need to flash an "RE-ORDER ALERT" message after inventory level falls below re-order level. The message only flashes up when I move to a next record and back after a DoCmd.Save. I need the message to flash immediate after a Save. Note. The message is a flashing label on the form. Thank you. Perhaps you could code it to actually flash before DoCmd.Save is processed. Once you're into that code string, it will be run. Or, maybe consider a Message Box. I like this idea because it forces the user to interact with the reorder message. No one can say "I didn'...

Searching for Newsgroups

Search & replace in formulae

Search engine optimization

Problems with controls in MFC !
I inserted 2 ComboBoxes Controls in a MDI Child FormView. I have defined 2 class member variables of type CComboBox using ClassWizard (tab variables) to manage the controls but each time I try to use these variables to call a CCombox method (or inherited methods from CWnd) especially EnableWindow() the call raises an assertion failure on ASSERT(IsWindow(h_Wnd)) Test in EnableWindow() method in file winocc.cpp . h_Wnd seems to be NULL I encountered the same problem with a Datagrid control. I have eahc time to call getDlgItem(IDC_DATAGRID) to get a instance of the control. Why it is not possibl...

excel VBA

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

SMTP Mail Sending Problem Windows 7
Hi, I am using SMTPClient class for sending mail from my C# application. I have successfully sent mail in local area or outside of the domain. But, i met a strange problem. When i send the mail to the client who uses Windows 7 he cannot receive the mail, although exchange server tells me "it has delivered". I worked on it and i found a silly case. When i set MailPriority.High the client receives the mail. If i do not set the mail priority to high, the client does not receive the mail. Can Anyone tell me what is the problem, or has anybody met a problem as simi...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

how to find and replace a symbol in my worksheet
I need help with finding and then replacing a symbol in my worksheet. In the find and replace box there is no way to insert a symbol there. I have tried to cut and paste as well as to insert the symbol in the find box. If anyone has an idea on how to replace a bullet with a comma please let me know. Thanks TC TC In the Replace What: box you would hold down the ALT key then hit the ascii code number on the NumPad. Bullets are usually ALT + 0149 So.........select the cells. Edit>Replace what: ALT + 0149 you will not see anything in the what: box, but it is there. with: , Replace...

Problems with charts, VBA and series...
I have a chart in a worksheet, the chart is a stacked column chart with 6 series and I want to programmatically changed the names of each of the data series. I can do this just fine if I do it manually. When I use the macro recorder and try to run the recorded code I get the Following error: 1004 Unable to set the Name property of the Series class I have no idea why this is the case, Interestingly enough when I use the on error resume next, I find that I am able to change the name of the first series and the sixth series with no problems but data series 2-5 all generate the same error. I am ...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Problem Resolving Email Addresses to Contacts in CRM via Outlook
When creating a new email and inserting the email address I am sending too which does map to a CRM contact in CRM 3.0. I get the following error. "The sender does not have an e-mail address in Microsoft CRM. Do you want to send the e-mail? If you click yes, the e-mail will be sent out, but no corresponding activity will be created in Microsoft CRM. What am I doing wrong here? I also noticed that Microsoft CRM contacts do show up when I click the "To:" however the contacts that I've added in CRM are not showing up? Thanks! This is due to your CRM user record not h...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

Excel combobox problem
I'm using a combobox populated from rTest (a 4 column, 60 row named range) and linking it to a cell named Test. My problem is that it only displays the first 41 rows of that range in the dropdown. The following are the properties that I've changed for the combobox: LinkedCell = Test ListFillRange = rTest ListRows = 20 SelectionMargin = false BorderStyle = fmBorderStyleSingle This is excel 2003. -- aoeui ------------------------------------------------------------------------ aoeui's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26603 View this thre...

Problem: new calendar entries land on wrong date

Simple calculated field problem
Hi, I am very new to Access and am trying to do something I think should be reasonably simple, but can't work out the syntax I need. My database is to track weight loss. I have only one table at the moment (this will grow but my problem only involves a single table), which is called 'Measurements'. The table has only 3 fields, 'Date', 'Weight' and 'Fat%'. I would like to be able to track weight loss from one day to the next, so am trying to make a query that shows, for each day, the values in the Weight and Fat% fields, and a calculated field tha...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...