search a matrix for values

OK, this is a bit of a tricky problem....

i have a 7*7 matrix in excel, which is full of numbers...

i want to search in only half the matrix, where half is from cell1-1,
to cell 7-1 (i.e. top left to bottom right).  what i want to search is
for numbers a certain value, say X.

what i then want to do is tablulate these numbers in one column, and
then tablue late their position as a reference to the matrix (i.e.
their matrix position).

how on earth can i do this?

Phil

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I have assumed that the matrix is in A1:G7

In A10 I entered

=INDEX($A$1:$H$7,ROW(A1),ROW(A1))

and copied down to A16

In B10 I added

=CELL("address",INDEX(OFFSET($A$1,,ROW(A1)-1,7,1),MATCH(A10,OFFSET($A$1,,ROW
(A1)-1,7,1),0)))

and copied down

Just adjust to your ranges.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Phil Newman" <phillenium2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, this is a bit of a tricky problem....
>
> i have a 7*7 matrix in excel, which is full of numbers...
>
> i want to search in only half the matrix, where half is from cell1-1,
> to cell 7-1 (i.e. top left to bottom right).  what i want to search is
> for numbers a certain value, say X.
>
> what i then want to do is tablulate these numbers in one column, and
> then tablue late their position as a reference to the matrix (i.e.
> their matrix position).
>
> how on earth can i do this?
>
> Phil

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
10/4/2006 10:46:46 AM
I should have added that where I use A1, that should remain, don't adjust
that, use A1 for the first, A2 for the second etc.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Phil Newman" <phillenium2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, this is a bit of a tricky problem....
>
> i have a 7*7 matrix in excel, which is full of numbers...
>
> i want to search in only half the matrix, where half is from cell1-1,
> to cell 7-1 (i.e. top left to bottom right).  what i want to search is
> for numbers a certain value, say X.
>
> what i then want to do is tablulate these numbers in one column, and
> then tablue late their position as a reference to the matrix (i.e.
> their matrix position).
>
> how on earth can i do this?
>
> Phil

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
10/4/2006 10:48:48 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure if the code given gives me the right answers, but i can't
get them to work anyway, for the second column, i get N/A which is odd.

Phil

Bob Phillips wrote:
> I should have added that where I use A1, that should remain, don't adjust
> that, use A1 for the first, A2 for the second etc.
>
> --
>  HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
>
> "Phil Newman" <phillenium2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > OK, this is a bit of a tricky problem....
> >
> > i have a 7*7 matrix in excel, which is full of numbers...
> >
> > i want to search in only half the matrix, where half is from cell1-1,
> > to cell 7-1 (i.e. top left to bottom right).  what i want to search is
> > for numbers a certain value, say X.
> >
> > what i then want to do is tablulate these numbers in one column, and
> > then tablue late their position as a reference to the matrix (i.e.
> > their matrix position).
> >
> > how on earth can i do this?
> >
> > Phil

sorry, i mis-typed the original post, i want to search for numbers
ABOVE a certain value

Phil

Phil Newman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if the code given gives me the right answers, but i can't
> get them to work anyway, for the second column, i get N/A which is odd.
>
> Phil
>

> Bob Phillips wrote:
> > I should have added that where I use A1, that should remain, don't adjust
> > that, use A1 for the first, A2 for the second etc.
> >
> > --
> >  HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> >
> > "Phil Newman" <phillenium2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > OK, this is a bit of a tricky problem....
> > >
> > > i have a 7*7 matrix in excel, which is full of numbers...
> > >
> > > i want to search in only half the matrix, where half is from cell1-1,
> > > to cell 7-1 (i.e. top left to bottom right).  what i want to search is
> > > for numbers a certain value, say X.
> > >
> > > what i then want to do is tablulate these numbers in one column, and
> > > then tablue late their position as a reference to the matrix (i.e.
> > > their matrix position).
> > >
> > > how on earth can i do this?
> > >
> > > Phil

I assume you want to find numbers bigger than a target value
in the lower diagonal half of the matrix, including the diagonal
center, a total of 28 cells.
I assume that the matrix has unique values and
horizontal and vertical headers from 1 to 7, like this:
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7
1 87 50 70 31 64 61 18
2 83 69 76 34 36 17 32
3 41 73 65 52 74 80 63
4 56 85 79 89 72 88 98
5 97 51 93 53 67 91 49
6 71 99 45 11 48 58 59
7 84 46 33 57 37 66 77
Name the 7x7 matrix ArrayA,
the column header Colm and
the row header Roam
Create another 7x7 matrix named ArrayB with this array formula:
=ArrayA*(ArrayA>Target)*(Roam>=Colm)
Assuming Target=55, ArrayB will look like this:
87  0  0  0  0  0  0
83 69  0  0  0  0  0
0  73 65  0  0  0  0
56 85 79 89  0  0  0
97  0 93  0  67 0  0
71 99  0  0  0 58  0
84  0  0 57  0 66 77
To list the numbers in a column, create a template like this:
Seq	ListA	RowA	ColumnA
1	99	6	2
2	97	5	1
3	93	5	3
4	89	4	4
5	87	1	1
6	85	4	2
7	84	7	1
8	83	2	1
9	79	4	3
10	77	7	7
11	73	3	2
12	71	6	1
13	69	2	2
14	67	5	5
15	66	7	6
16	65	3	3
17	58	6	6
18	57	7	4
19	56	4	1
20	0	0	0
21	0	0	0
22	0	0	0
23	0	0	0
24	0	0	0
25	0	0	0
26	0	0	0
27	0	0	0
28	0	0	0
Name the columns with the suggested headers.
Seq is just a sequence of numbers.
ListA, RowA and ColumnA have these formulas:
=LARGE(ArrayB,Seq)
=SUMPRODUCT((ArrayA=INDEX(ListA,Seq))*Roam)
=SUMPRODUCT((ArrayA=INDEX(ListA,Seq))*Colm)

> sorry, i mis-typed the original post, i want to search for numbers
> ABOVE a certain value
>
> Phil

Hi Phil

Assuming X in B2 and no duplicates in the matrix, here is one
way to do it. The matrix can be any *square* size, named or with
cell references.  For duplicates only one address will be displayed.
Depending on the placement in the matrix of the value in question,
this address may be wrong.

In e.g. P5 enter this array formula:

=LARGE(IF((MIN(ROW(Matrix))+ROWS(Matrix)-1-ROW(Matrix)<=MIN(COLUMN(Matrix))-COLUMN(Matrix)+COLUMNS(Matrix)-1)*(Matrix>$B$2),Matrix),ROW()-ROW($P$5)+1)

Enter with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited
later. If done properly, Excel will display the formula in the formula
bar enclosed in braces { } Don't enter these braces yourself.

ROW($P$5) must always reflect the starting cell, since
ROW()-ROW($P$5) functions as a counter.

In Q5 enter this array formula:

=ADDRESS(MAX((P5=Matrix)*ROW(Matrix)),MAX((P5=Matrix)*COLUMN(Matrix)))

Again with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter>

Select P5:Q5 and copy down with the fill handle (the little
square in the lower right corner of the selection).
The number of cells to copy down is (N*(N-1))/2+N-1, where
N is the side in the matrix (in this situation 7).

The values in P5 and down are displayed in descending order.

--
Best regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"Leo Heuser" <leo.heuser@DROPTHISadslhome.dk> skrev i en meddelelse

>>"Phil Newman" <phillenium2002@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> sorry, i mis-typed the original post, i want to search for numbers
>> ABOVE a certain value
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Hi Phil
>
> Assuming X in B2 and no duplicates in the matrix, here is one
> way to do it. The matrix can be any *square* size, named or with
> cell references.  For duplicates only one address will be displayed.
> Depending on the placement in the matrix of the value in question,
> this address may be wrong.
>
> In e.g. P5 enter this array formula:
>
> =LARGE(IF((MIN(ROW(Matrix))+ROWS(Matrix)-1-ROW(Matrix)<=MIN(COLUMN(Matrix))-COLUMN(Matrix)+COLUMNS(Matrix)-1)*(Matrix>$B$2),Matrix),ROW()-ROW($P$5)+1)
>
> Enter with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited
> later. If done properly, Excel will display the formula in the formula
> bar enclosed in braces { } Don't enter these braces yourself.
>
> ROW($P$5) must always reflect the starting cell, since
> ROW()-ROW($P$5) functions as a counter.
>
> In Q5 enter this array formula:
>
> =ADDRESS(MAX((P5=Matrix)*ROW(Matrix)),MAX((P5=Matrix)*COLUMN(Matrix)))
>
> Again with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter>
>
> Select P5:Q5 and copy down with the fill handle (the little
> square in the lower right corner of the selection).
> The number of cells to copy down is (N*(N-1))/2+N-1, where
> N is the side in the matrix (in this situation 7).
>
> The values in P5 and down are displayed in descending order.
>

> --
> Best regards
> Leo Heuser
>
> Followup to newsgroup only please.

The various possibilities:

Lower half (incl. diagonal) use    <= in the formula
Lower half (excl. diagonal) use    <

Upper half (incl. diagonal) use    >=
Upper half (exc. diagonal) use    >

Diagonal use  =

Leo

Thanks very much for all your help, but i've decided to use MatLab for
my problems instead as it handles the matrix much easier.

Cheers,

Phil

> Thanks very much for all your help, but i've decided to use MatLab for
> my problems instead as it handles the matrix much easier.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

You're welcome. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Leo Heuser

Matrix operations
Hello I would like to apply a formula operating on matrices/vectors to a number of rows. Formula: T1*(v1+T2*v2) Input: T1 is a 2x2 Matrix, v1 a 2x1 vector, both are defined through cells which are always at the same location within the Worksheet. For example T1 in A1:B2, v1 in A3:B3. T2 is a 2x2 Matrix defined by { cos(x),sin(x); -sin(x),cos(x)}. x is a value, v2 a 2x1 vector. See below how they are defined Output: A 2x1 vector Task: I now want to apply the formula to a number of rows. In each row the column 1 to 2 define v2, column 3 defines x. The result of the formula should be in colu...

Searching for Newsgroups

Search & replace in formulae

Looking Up the First Nonzero Value in a Column
Hello everyone, I am looking for a function that can return the first nonzero value in a column. I have a table that has months across the top and down the leftmost column. The data in the table are balances as of each month, essentially. It looks like this: J F M A M J 1 F 2 1 M 3 2 1 A 4 3 2 1 M 5 4 3 2 1 Is there a way to say, "Look in the column labeled "F" and return the first nonzero number"? Then the cell below it will need to be the number directly below that first number, and so on. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! Sincerely, T...

cell value
How can i test if a cell is empty or if it is a value in it? THNX -- wasss ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wasssu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1605 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27509 wasssu User Defined Function. Function IsEmpty(Searchrange As Range) As Boolean IsEmpty = (Application.CountA(Searchrange) = 0) End Function Returns TRUE or FALSE If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on "getting started". http...

Search engine optimization

Copying only the numerical values
Is it possible to have a summary worksheet in an Excel spreadsheet and then copy this worksheet on its own to another document but with the numerical values only? I have a worksheet which is a summary of various other Excel documents linked together. I wish to email this summary page with the numerical values only. I don't particularly want the file paths showing in the document I email - I just wish the numerical values - not the formulas which produce these values. Is this possible? Without going through complicated procedures. "SM" <theesel1994REMOVE@googlemail...

different values count
Hi, guys!!! need some help... each day i record one or more record at the end of the month I must count the working day of the mount counting only dates that are different. that is: 20/09/2004 abcabcabc 20/09/2004 abcabcabc 20/09/2004 abcbabcab 21/09/2004 abcbabcba 22/09/2004 abcababcb 22/09/2004 abababcba 23/09/2004 acbcbabcb working days = 4 (the 20, 21, 22 and 23) is there any function that count different values i'm coming crazy to solve this problem... thanks to you al -- ramalin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ramalina&#...

Historical Stock Close Value
I'm trying to get the Historical Closing Price of stocks. I recorded a macro that will download, and also found several scripts that will download historical info for stocks. However it downloads a table for the stock with "Open", "Hi", "Low", but I do not want the whole table, I only want the "Close" price. Is there a way to do this? I do this sort of thing often. If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the...

Vlookup data wrong if the small value found are same
Dear Friends, I need to find the smallest 8 amounts from hundreds of data and look up the data of the corresponding amount. So I used the small function with referrence to the Rank column and found two -100,000.00 and each of them related to Joey and Keith. However, the vlookup function retrieved both data as Joey and lost Keith's Number and Name. Same problem occurs if retrieving the top 10 amounts with large function. Thanks for your great help in advance. Fanny Rank Amount Number Name 1 -156,250.00 8 John 2 -120,547.00 13 Peter 3 -103,100.00 541 Mary 4 -1...

excel VBA

retrieving maximum value from query
hi there, I have a table of the following schema build --------------------------- build_id AutoNumber build_date Date/Time label Text CL Number ---------------------------- for a simple query like SELECT build.CL FROM build; how can I apply a filter so that I only get the max CL value? thanks in advanced. SELECT Max(CL) FROM build If you want the details about the entry with the largest value, you could try: SELECT build_id, build_date, label, CL FROM build WHERE CL IN (Select Max(CL) FROM build) Recognize, of course, th...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Filter out rows based on the value of a cell
Using Windows XP and Excel 2007 Would like to create a search box of sorts, where when I type a word into a specific cell, let's say B2, then the rows displayed filter out based on what I typed, so that only rows where column D equaled "Smith" for example, would show. It would also be helpful if I could select a value from a dropdown next to it determining which column would be checked for the filtering. For example, I type "Smith" in cell B2, and then select "Last Name" from the drop down so that the rows displayed are filtered by showing only rows where the...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

Selecting Refedit value
Hi. I am using refedits and am selecting a range of cells...i.e. more than one cells. If I select a single cell then I can get the refedit value from the Range (Reedit1) or Range(RefEdit1).Cells(1).Value or RefEdit1.Value. I got this help from this user group itself. Now my criteria is changed and now i want to select values say for e.g. from $BO$304:$BQ$304. How can I extract the values into a variable???? Can it be done. thanks a lot Monika Monika, You can set a range or refer to a range according to the refedit value e.g. Dim rngInput as Range set rngInput = Range(Refedit1.Value)...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

How can I search for a phrase within thousands of documents 2003 search I searched for "Trust" in document name and "special needs" within document -- Irritated 2007 Word User You could do that by modifying the code in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm probably in combination with the code in the article "Insert into a document the names of all files in a selected folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InsertFileNames.htm ...