Saving with password problem

I have tried saving an xls sheet under a different name using a password to
stop others from changing the contents but I can't seem to get it to work.

I go to "File", "Save as", and then click on "Tools" on the "Save As"
dialogue box that comes up.

I choose "General Options" and enter a new password in "Password to Modify"
(I also put a tick in the "Read only recommended" box.

I click okay and another box comes up wanting me to re-enter my password,
which I do and click okay.

I then save the sheet.

Later I load the sheet again and the first thing that happens is I get a
"Password" dialogue box, whixh says "Enter password for write access, or
open read only", so Iclick on the "Read Only" button.

I can then delete and modity whatever, no problem, I want and save it right
on top of the original!

What am I doing wrong, please?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

>>I can then delete and modity whatever, no problem, I want

That part is expected.  This does not protect a sheet from editing.  Use
Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet for that.

>> and save it right on top of the original!

That's not what should happen or what happens to me.  After I click Read
Only to open the file it says "[Read-Only]" in the worksheet window's
caption.  And if I try to save it I cannot overwrite the original.  I have
to use another name or another location.

--
Jim
"John Vanini" <john_vanini@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have tried saving an xls sheet under a different name using a password to
>stop others from changing the contents but I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> I go to "File", "Save as", and then click on "Tools" on the "Save As"
> dialogue box that comes up.
>
> I choose "General Options" and enter a new password in "Password to
> Modify" (I also put a tick in the "Read only recommended" box.
>
> I click okay and another box comes up wanting me to re-enter my password,
> which I do and click okay.
>
> I then save the sheet.
>
> Later I load the sheet again and the first thing that happens is I get a
> "Password" dialogue box, whixh says "Enter password for write access, or
> open read only", so Iclick on the "Read Only" button.
>
> I can then delete and modity whatever, no problem, I want and save it
> right on top of the original!
>
> What am I doing wrong, please?

0
jrrech (1933)
10/13/2007 3:04:14 PM
That's brilliant! It works beautifully! I don't understand why the other
system didn't work as that is what it seemed to imply - but it really
doesn't matter.

Thanks a lot, Jim, I can now password protect my spreadsheet and I'm very
grateful.

John

"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> Use Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet for that.
><snip> Jim

Just note that Excel's internal password protection is very weak and passwords
easily cracked.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:00:02 GMT, "John Vanini" <john_vanini@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>That's brilliant! It works beautifully! I don't understand why the other
>system didn't work as that is what it seemed to imply - but it really
>doesn't matter.
>
>Thanks a lot, Jim, I can now password protect my spreadsheet and I'm very
>grateful.
>
>John
>
>"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> Use Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet for that.
>><snip> Jim

0
Gord
10/13/2007 6:23:29 PM
Be aware that XL's protection is worth it's weight in tissue paper for
true security:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

In article <CI7Qi.26962$HW.335@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>,
 "John Vanini" <john_vanini@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks a lot, Jim, I can now password protect my spreadsheet and I'm very
> grateful.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/13/2007 7:16:44 PM
Oh dear, I didn't know that. I have produced a census in Excel, and wanted
to put it on the Internet but, obviously, I don't want anyone changing any
details.

I shall have to look for some other way.

Thanks to all for your help,

> Just note that Excel's internal password protection is very weak and
> passwords
> easily cracked.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

Outlook 2000
Please hear me out and I hope anyone has an answer. There is a guy who sends our company an email with a couple of attachments and at the bottom of the email he has a disclaimer that just says stuff like 'This email is intended for whoever and it is private or whatever' anyways I can open this message up fine and download the attachments or anything he sends. Same with everyone else except for one lady downstairs. She has Outlook 2000 and she can view everyones emails fine EXCEPT from this guy. What happens is the message is nothing more than that disclaimer then there is the...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

mail problem #2
i used sbs03. i had an external pop3 server. i used pop3 connector for connecting to external pop3 mail server and routed that mails to local exchage mail boxwes. it working fine when i retrieve mails. i registered an domain name as example.com my exchange server domain is ns1.example.com when i registered domain i got email address like. sujith@example.com in my exchage i had the mail id as sujith@ns1.example.com when i am sending mails from my exchange outlook it is going as sujith@ns1.smartsoft.co.in address. then when a person who got my mail replies me. my emailid is sujith@ns1.sma...

RPC-over-HTTP problem
Hello! I have asked this before, but i didn't find a soloution at that time. Whats nessesary to do to be able to save the Outlook password when connection using RPC-over-HTTP(s)? TIA! /Magnus ...

Save and save as

problem printing banners
When printing a banner produced in MS Publisher 2003, the printer (Lexmark X5150) consistently gets to the end of the first page and ejects the stationery. Similar banners produced in MS Word 2003 print satisfactorily. -- lord_gaty On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:52:26 +0000, lord_gaty wrote (in article <F97A76A4-7FE9-4258-B2E9-25B62188853D@microsoft.com>): > When printing a banner produced in MS Publisher 2003, the printer (Lexmark > X5150) consistently gets to the end of the first page and ejects the > stationery. Similar banners produced in MS Word 2003 print satisfactorily. >...

Unable to deliver the message due to a recipient problem #4
Hi All, I am running Exchsrvr 5.5 SP4 with Post Sp4 fixes in installed. I have a user who sent an email to 4 recipients in the company and he got this error "Unable to deliver the message due to a recipient problem". None of the article in the knowledge base can help Anyone ever encountered this? Did any of them receive the message? Please post the complete NDR. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Vincez" <Vincez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFF49776-E253-4469-9561-140824BDBC05@microso...

Saving Images

"Unattainable" savings goals

Print problems
For publishing a company catalogue I have chosen a template with a single start page, single end page and inbetween double sided pages obviously placed there for some kind of convenience for later laminating or stapling. My problem is that, instead of relying on my copyshop ready-printed ones, I want to be able to print this out at the company as well when I need a copy, but then double sided! My color laser is set to print duplex, so that part is 100% ok. Why does the document still print out as single-sided? What have I done wrong? Should I choose another template that is already se...

Saving default tabs

Save to unProtect a Document?

Mobile AvtiveSync Problem
Hi! We deployed front-end and back-end Exchange 2003. All works well. We have a sychronization problem if our MDA mobile user access our Exchange Server by using ActiveSync. If they start to sychronization the contacts, calender and mails over MDA the get the error number 0x80004005. The EventView on the front-end server has the following error message: Source:ServerActiveSync EventID:3005 Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [tbe.test.exch.net] User: [inka@experts.company.com] HTTP status code: [409]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly. How can we...

Save csv format to dbf format

Daylight Savings Time #2

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

Custom ADM Template Problem
I'm trying to make a registry change via GPO and have written this ADM file, but the change never takes place on the computer I'm testing. I can see the GP is applied. Am I doing something wrong? I copied this format from one my other ADM files that does work. CLASS MACHINE CATEGORY "Metco" CATEGORY "AutoDisconnect Changes" POLICY "Changes Autodisconnect Timeout" Explain !!AutoDisconnect KEYNAME "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters" VALUENAME "autodisconnect" VALUE NUMERIC 4294967295 ...

Userform Textbox Format Problem
I'm having a problem with the formatting of a textbox on a userform. Basically, I have the text box linked to a cell that shows a percentage. However the text box shows the value in the "Scientific" format. Is there a way that I can make the text box show the value exactly as I have it in my workbook? If not, is there a way to format it so that it appears the way I want it to appear? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Maybe you could just drop the linked cell (called the controlsource in a userfor...

Out look upgrade from 2000 to 2002 Problem
After installing Office XP, I received following message:"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The DLL file for the information service could not open, MAPI was unable to load information service PSTPRX.DLL Be sure service is correctly installed and configured." I also found that "Option" is whited out and can not access. Someone help me. Thanks, You may get some help by checking this out: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293058&Product=ol2002 -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have ...

How to get saved old saved work that was saved over?
I typed up some History notes and saved it. I wanted to use the same format from those History notes for some new History notes and I saved over on my old work. How can i retrive my old saved work? My work was in Word not Excel But I could not find a place to ask a question in the Word help section. If you saved over the original file, it is gone forever. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Maral" <Maral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0ADFEF9-6A46-4589-8923-4BFC07D9C61F@microsoft.com......