Saving As .CSV

Hello, here's the situation: I downloaded an .xls file from my broker and
opened it in Excel.  The original file was delimited by commas and I had to
choose comma delimited in order for Excel to display it in columns/rows
correctly.  I made some changes to the file, then saved it with a new name.
The problem is, I can find no way to save it as a comma delimited file
again.  Saving it as a Workbook places quotes around the commas and creates
spacing between text (when I view it in Wordpad), and saving it as a Text
File (Tab delimited) does just that--makes it TAB delimited, not comma
delimited.  I just need my file to be a comma delimited text file again,
like it was originally.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Grant

0
nospam7515 (2084)
3/27/2007 6:32:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could use a macro and write code and have complete control over what you
write.

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Grant wrote:

> Hello, here's the situation: I downloaded an .xls file from my broker and
> opened it in Excel.  The original file was delimited by commas and I had to
> choose comma delimited in order for Excel to display it in columns/rows
> correctly.  I made some changes to the file, then saved it with a new name.
> The problem is, I can find no way to save it as a comma delimited file
> again.  Saving it as a Workbook places quotes around the commas and creates
> spacing between text (when I view it in Wordpad), and saving it as a Text
> File (Tab delimited) does just that--makes it TAB delimited, not comma
> delimited.  I just need my file to be a comma delimited text file again,
> like it was originally.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Grant

0
birelan (531)
3/27/2007 6:58:05 PM
It doesn't give me the option to save as CSV.  The only "save as" options
are: Excel Workbook, XML Spreadsheet, Single File Webpage, Web Page,
Template, and Text (Tab Delimited).  As I said, I tried Workbook and Text.

> Which "Save As" CSV version did you pick from the drop down box?
>
> Grant wrote:
>
>> Hello, here's the situation: I downloaded an .xls file from my broker and
>> opened it in Excel.  The original file was delimited by commas and I had
>> to choose comma delimited in order for Excel to display it in
>> columns/rows correctly.  I made some changes to the file, then saved it
>> with a new name. The problem is, I can find no way to save it as a comma
>> delimited file again.  Saving it as a Workbook places quotes around the
>> commas and creates spacing between text (when I view it in Wordpad), and
>> saving it as a Text File (Tab delimited) does just that--makes it TAB
>> delimited, not comma delimited.  I just need my file to be a comma
>> delimited text file again, like it was originally.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Grant

0
nospam7515 (2084)
3/27/2007 7:15:43 PM
Thanks Dave, that first one did the trick.  What I don't understand is why
there simply isn't an option to save as Text-Comma Delimited rather than
Text-Tab Delimited.  Anyhoo, I got what I need.  Thanks again.

Grant

> You could use a macro and write code and have complete control over what
> you
> write.
>
> Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:
>
> Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
> www.smokeylake.com/excel
> (or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)
>
> Chip Pearson's:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm
>
> J.E. McGimpsey's:
> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html
>
> Grant wrote:
>>
>> Hello, here's the situation: I downloaded an .xls file from my broker and
>> opened it in Excel.  The original file was delimited by commas and I had
>> choose comma delimited in order for Excel to display it in columns/rows
>> correctly.  I made some changes to the file, then saved it with a new
>> name.
>> The problem is, I can find no way to save it as a comma delimited file
>> again.  Saving it as a Workbook places quotes around the commas and
>> creates
>> spacing between text (when I view it in Wordpad), and saving it as a Text
>> File (Tab delimited) does just that--makes it TAB delimited, not comma
>> delimited.  I just need my file to be a comma delimited text file again,
>> like it was originally.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Grant
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
nospam7515 (2084)
3/27/2007 8:07:40 PM
Actually, there is a "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)" option.

It just doesn't use the same rules as what you want.

(Or your rules don't use the same rules as what MS wants...)

--

Dave Peterson
0

> Actually, there is a "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)" option.
>
> It just doesn't use the same rules as what you want.
>
> (Or your rules don't use the same rules as what MS wants...)
>
> Grant wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Dave, that first one did the trick.  What I don't understand is
>> why
>> there simply isn't an option to save as Text-Comma Delimited rather than
>> Text-Tab Delimited.  Anyhoo, I got what I need.  Thanks again.
>>
>> Grant
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > You could use a macro and write code and have complete control over
>> > what
>> > you
>> > write.
>> >
>> > Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:
>> >
>> > Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
>> > www.smokeylake.com/excel
>> > (or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)
>> >
>> > Chip Pearson's:
>> > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm
>> >
>> > J.E. McGimpsey's:
>> > http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
nospam7515 (2084)
3/28/2007 1:17:40 AM
It's the one that looks like:

"CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)"

--

Dave Peterson
0

> It's the one that looks like:
>
> "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)"
>

> Grant wrote:
>>
>> Would you care to share exactly WHICH option allows me to save it to
>> .csv?
>> Because, as I told Bob, when I "Save As," I see no comma delimited
>> option,
>> only Text (Tab Delimited) and some others.  Thanks.
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Actually, there is a "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)" option.
>> >
>> > It just doesn't use the same rules as what you want.
>> >
>> > (Or your rules don't use the same rules as what MS wants...)

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
nospam7515 (2084)
3/28/2007 1:39:16 PM
I see in your other post, you "discovered" the rest of your "CSV"
options. You ought to be good to go!

Grant wrote:

> It doesn't give me the option to save as CSV.  The only "save as" options
> are: Excel Workbook, XML Spreadsheet, Single File Webpage, Web Page,
> Template, and Text (Tab Delimited).  As I said, I tried Workbook and Text.
>
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Which "Save As" CSV version did you pick from the drop down box?
>>
>>Grant wrote:
>>

>>>Hello, here's the situation: I downloaded an .xls file from my broker and
>>>opened it in Excel.  The original file was delimited by commas and I had
>>>to choose comma delimited in order for Excel to display it in
>>>columns/rows correctly.  I made some changes to the file, then saved it
>>>with a new name. The problem is, I can find no way to save it as a comma
>>>delimited file again.  Saving it as a Workbook places quotes around the
>>>commas and creates spacing between text (when I view it in Wordpad), and
>>>saving it as a Text File (Tab delimited) does just that--makes it TAB
>>>delimited, not comma delimited.  I just need my file to be a comma
>>>delimited text file again, like it was originally.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Grant

0
birelan (531)

How do I save e-mail messages in flash drive?
I want to save files and e-mail in the flash drive plugged into my computer. When I clicked File and Save As there was no option for a flash drive. Would be grateful for anybody's help to nroll@optonline.net. N. Roll Is the drive visible when looking at the drives listing in Explorer? If so, you can select it from the drive listing in Outlook as well. If it is not visible in Explorer, then you'll need to assign it a drive-letter first; Right click "(My) Computer" in the Start Menu and choose Manage. In the Computer Management screen select Disk Management fr...

loose graphics on screen after saving
Help, with 2003 after I save and restart publisher I cannot see the graphics or photos on the screen. They are there when I print ctemple19058 wrote: > Help, with 2003 after I save and restart publisher I cannot see the > graphics or photos on the screen. They are there when I print ============================= The following article may be useful: (Read the 4th FAQ) Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/ lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQ...

How many copies of a file can be updated by the "File/Save" comma.
Same File, saved in two different locations, for two different users, be updated at the same time when selecting the File - Save command? This macro saves the file to one other folder when the file is saved. You can modify it to repeat the copy to another folder. HTH Otto Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'Change the following path to your own Const szBackupPath As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\Otto Moehrbach\My Documents\ExcelData\Backup" 'If they're not using the Save As command... If Not...

Cant save file to CD on personal PC, due to admin
Somehow I have gotten the admin controls activated on my PC. when I try to use a CD to save a word file, the computer tells me I do not have the admin authority to do that. this is my personal computer, not networked with any others, been using it for years. how do I get out of this? I am unable to back up my documents. thanks This is not an Office question. I would start with a newsgroup for your operating system. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "BAC" <BAC@discussions.microsoft....

OL 2007 save as .txt adds line breaks
Good day, we receive reports from our database system in landscape plain text format which are then saved to disk and further processed with systems such as MS Excel or Access. Problem is, that since Outlook 2007 these e-mails get re-formatted by Outlook (adding line breaks according to the display on the screen) causing all Excel / Access routines to break. In Outlook 2003 this did not happen. Is there a way to prevent this and save the .txt e-mail as it comes from the server? Thanks n brgds Philipp Post Do these messages show an Infobar with the info that Outlook remov...

Save button to customize the toolbar of New Message window
Hi! This question is regarding Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP Home Edition. There is not Save button that I can choose from the list of 'Available toolbar buttons' when I try to customize the toolbar of the New Message window. This means that everytime that I want to save an email that I do not want to send right away, I have to click on the 'File menu' and then on the 'Save as...' menu option, instead of just clicking on a Save icon from the toolbar. Do you know how can I add the Save button to the New Message toolbar? I followed the ususal procedure of rig...

Excel 2003 unites csv file row contents in a column A with squares
Hello! I exported a Windows Address book to a csv file in Windows Vista. Excel 2007 opens the file correctly, but Excel 2003 unites row contents in a column A with squares betweel fields. How to open the csv file in Excel 2003 correctly? Regards, Dmitry Use Data/ Import External Data/ Import Data, specify as delimited, then set the delimiter to whatever the delimiting character in your csv file is. -- David Biddulph "Dima" <Dima@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC458D7A-F5B7-4402-A8BD-D89A147710E8@microsoft.com... > Hello! > I exported a Windows Addr...

File is saved on opening #3
Yes, it still happens -- Roadi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roadie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=593 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27563 I don't have another guess. I've never seen excel do anything like this. You are sure you opened in Safe mode so that all macros were disabled? (You do see "safe mode" in excel's title bar, right?) One more thing to try (that may not help)... Open excel in Safe mode File|Open and click on your workbook ...

Increment SQL identity From Access Front End on save of record
I have a button to save a rewly created record from Access to SQL backend table. Here's my code... DoCmd.Runcommand acCmdSaveRecord Me.lot# = DMax("lot#", "tblSales") +1 I receive the following error: "cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table tblSales when Identity_insert is set to off." Can anyone see what I need to add here? Thanks, -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200708/1 If you want to write down your own values for the lot# column, don't use the identit...

Is there a way to have an excel read only auto refresh after save
We are using a master workbook to track open customer orders. It requires a password to write so that it can not accidentally be changed. Several user's leave it open as read only during the work day. Is there a way for these users to see any updates made and saved during the time it is open as read only? Close and re-open -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Jenna" wrote: > We are using a master workbook to track open customer orders. It requires a > password to write so that it can not accidentally be changed. Several user's > leave it...

Where are combined and decoded newsgroup files save?
I am using Outlook to read newsgroups, and combining/decoding multi-part postings. Where does Outlook save the decoded files? I did a search on my hard drive and couldn't find them anywhere; nor do I see any preferences where I can specify a folder. thanks Scott You're using Outlook Express, a completely different app. You need to post to an OE ng, part of IE family "detour" <detour@no_spam.net> wrote in message news:dPWqf.46595$6e1.30406@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > I am using Outlook to read newsgroups, and combining/decoding multi-part > postings. Where...

network password not saved
I am using Outlook 2002. My network passwaord is not being saved. Any thoughts? Hi rsmcqueen! Same problem here. As yet unresolved. Try: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 Neither worked for me (and a few others). Also, replacing your Outlook.pst file has been suggested. If unsuccessful. Report back with details of your Operating System. When did this repeated request start? -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "rsmcqueen@gbronline.com" &l...

Saving grouped objects- EMERGENCY
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Is it possible for me to save grouped objects as their own jpeg file? I have a jpeg file and I have grouped it together with a text file. I need to save this as one item so I can use it in several different documents. I need it to be at least a jpeg file so that I may be used in printed marketing items. Suggestions? By "text file" do you mean text *box*? If so, Control/Right-Click the grouped object & select Save As Picture, then choose the format you want to save in. I'd reconsider using JPEG if you&#...

Saving document fails due to document being open

CSV Format
Hi Folks - I have an .xls file with a zip code column entered as text. I need to send the file to the feds as a csv file. When I Save As the xls file to a csv file, I lose the leading zeros in the zip code. Any ideas? Michael Have you tried formatting the entire column as text? I don't know if that will work, but give it a shot. Michael wrote: > Hi Folks - I have an .xls file with a zip code column entered as text. I > need to send the file to the feds as a csv file. When I Save As the xls file > to a csv file, I lose the leading zeros in the zip code. Any ideas? > &g...

Saving won't honor "Track Changes" display state
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel The latest infuriating bug I've encountered with Word is showing up in a long manuscript that I've already posted about other save problems with, and now it's stopped honoring the display option I have set in &quot;Track Changes&quot; for displaying &quot;Final.&quot; Every time I reopen the document now, that option is set to &quot;Final Showing Changes,&quot; and I have to manually re-set it to get rid of the change balloons. <br><br>I save it that way, then when I re...

save excel file formatted as f12.3
I have an excel file with 14 columns. I want to save this as a text file with all columns 12 characters wide and those columns which are numeric to 3 decimal places. All other columns if empty should contain 12 spaces. Columns which contains alphas should be left justified; colmns containing numerics should be right justified. Is there an easy way to do this? Thanks Chris I'd use 15 helper columns. Say your data is in A1:Nxxx I'd put this formula in O1: =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),TEXT(A1,"00000000.000"),LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",12),12)) And drag to cell AB1. Then in th...

"Save As" default is a .txt file
When I click the File - Save As, the default Save As Type is Text (*.txt) How do I change the default to be a .xls file? <Tools> <Options> <Transition> tab, Expand "Save Excel File As" And click on MS XL Workbook -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Chesster" <Chesster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE2753DD-B5CF-4937-A0F7-D6AE95977E0F@microsoft.com... When I click the File - Sa...

User can't access saved views
Hi there, I have had several users in the past month or so who have been unable to access saved views. We have been able to correct this in the past by removing access to the saved views and regranting access but, one user still has no access and get an error stating "object doesn't support property or method". Any ideas? Thanks in advance, - Jason ------=_NextPart_0001_B0D95B10 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Jason, I recall seeing this posting elsewhere in the newsgroups. Did you get a response on this yet? Thanks! Kind regards, Mike ...

Office 2007 save as delay
In Office 2007, when I try to save a document in another folder than the default one it starts indexing my root files... and it takes some time to do it. If I click on the side icons (like My coputer or My document) it moves a bit quicker, but it is still delaying the saving process. In Windows, disconnect any mapped drives that are not currently available. CristianA wrote: > In Office 2007, when I try to save a document in another folder than the > default one it starts indexing my root files... and it takes some time to do > it. If I click on the side icons (lik...

Save-skip-cancel-help ?
Can someone tell me what the options in the autosave dialog box really mean - or more specifically what the diference between Skip and Cancel is. Neither seems to do much - the box still comes back. (I know that I can turn it off, but just wonered what the difference is, if there is a difference...) Save changes in XXXXX.xls? Save Skip Cancel Help Regards, Rob Hi Rob, I know this is not what you want to hear, but the best thing to do with autosave is to trash it and forget that such an option ever existed. Some people may call me a control freak, but I dont care! I refuse to let...

can't save to jpeg or other graphics file format
I am not able to save to a jpg or other graphics file format. (Publisher 2002). Any suggestions? is this a common problem? Didn't see anything referencing it in the forum. Jeff W wrote: > I am not able to save to a jpg or other graphics file > format. (Publisher 2002). > Any suggestions? is this a common problem? Didn't see > anything referencing it in the forum. ------------------------------------- What happens when you go to... File / Save As / JPEG? Do you receive an error? -- John Inzer it says "Publisher cannot save the file" "John Inzer&quo...

Allow fast save Option
According to the help information in my MS Excel 2002, there is supposed to be a check box; Allow fast saves, under the Options Tab Save. This check box is not there. Does any one have an answer for this and if so does the Option/feature actually work? Thank you. Steven On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:37:56 -0700, "Steven" <siannarelli@msn.com> wrote: >According to the help information in my MS Excel 2002, >there is supposed to be a check box; Allow fast saves, >under the Options Tab Save. This check box is not there. >Does any one have an answer for this and if so...

Can one save Autocorrect settings?
I have had the need to reformat my hard disk several times, and reinstall Office. Every time I do that I loose my Autocorrect settings! Is there a way to save - say to a floppy - my settings so I don't have to try to remember what terms I used before? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ as answered in microsoft.public.excel: Dana DeLouis wrote a couple of macros to transfer AutoCorrect entries. The first one dumps them onto a worksheet. You can che...