SAVE SELECTED RESULTS WITH LATCHING

I put a number from 1 to 200 in A1.  Excel then takes this number and, using
a 2-column look up table in array BA1:BB200, the applicable stock symbol in
BB1:BB200 is inserted in E1 and the stock's daily moves are tested for fit
to certain criteria that are determined by a complex spreadsheet in E1: AZ
200.  I get four outputs like "Squeeze" "Buy alert", "Strong Buy", "Sell
alert" and so on, variously, in A2:D2.  For symbol #1 I can
straightforwardly make the output appear in cells BE1:BH1 but I want to
latch them there and automatically go on to the next symbol which is in cell
BB2 and create ouputs for this next symbol in row 2 in cells BE2:BH2 and so
on.

Two questions
1/ How can I set the system running so that the spreadsheet steps through
each stock symbol/number upon completion of the spreadsheet calculation
(about 1 second).
2/ How do I latch the outputs in successively lower rows as the input steps
through the 200 symbols?

I can see accomplishing the objective with 200 worksheets, but since each
worksheet is MB in size and loaded with complex formulae, this gets very
unwieldy.

I have put together a spinner to step through the numbers.  I have no skills
with macros, but I suppose I could use a macro to manually take the output
to progressively lower rows with <paste special> on each trip but how do I
do the stepping process automatically?

The NOW() function seems to be apt for timing but how do I get it to operate
so as to recognize when a spreadsheet calculation is complete and the system
is ready to go to the next calculation? My first introduction to the NOW()
function was today and I don't see how to get seconds out of it, only
minutes.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Neil.

[Unfortunately, there's no performance proof on finding winners in the
market yet - still in the research stage!]

0
nspokes (4)
2/22/2004 10:05:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
you may try the following code which does the following:
1. Inserts each value of your stock range in BB1:BB200 into A1
2. Let Excel calculate the results
3. Copies content of A1 as well as BE1:BH1 to the rows below (I wasn't
sure whta your range A2:D2 stores??)
Paste this macro in one of your workbook modules - invoke it on your
worksheet (you may have to adapt some of the ranges

------
Sub latch_value()
Dim rng_stocks As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim rng_calculate As Range
Dim row_count As Integer
Dim col_stocks As Integer
Dim row_stocks As Integer
Dim wks As Worksheet
Dim copy_range As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set wks = ActiveSheet
Set rng_stocks = wks.Range("BB1:BB200")
col_stocks = rng_stocks.Column
row_stocks = rng_stocks.row
Set rng_calculate = wks.Range("A1")
Set copy_range = wks.Range("BE1:BH1")

For row_count = row_stocks To (rng_stocks.row + rng_stocks.Rows.Count -
1)
    If wks.Cells(row_count, col_stocks).Value <> "" Then
        rng_calculate.Value = wks.Cells(row_count, col_stocks).Value
        wks.Calculate
        copy_range.Copy
        copy_range.Offset(row_count - row_stocks + 1, 0).PasteSpecial
Paste:=xlPasteValues
        rng_calculate.Copy
        rng_calculate.Offset(row_count - row_stocks + 1,
0).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
    End If
Next

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

-----

If you have further questions just come back to this NG :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

N. Spokes wrote:
> I put a number from 1 to 200 in A1.  Excel then takes this number
> and, using a 2-column look up table in array BA1:BB200, the
> applicable stock symbol in BB1:BB200 is inserted in E1 and the
> stock's daily moves are tested for fit to certain criteria that are
> determined by a complex spreadsheet in E1: AZ 200.  I get four
> outputs like "Squeeze" "Buy alert", "Strong Buy", "Sell alert" and so
> on, variously, in A2:D2.  For symbol #1 I can straightforwardly make
> the output appear in cells BE1:BH1 but I want to latch them there and
> automatically go on to the next symbol which is in cell BB2 and
> create ouputs for this next symbol in row 2 in cells BE2:BH2 and so
> on.
>
> Two questions
> 1/ How can I set the system running so that the spreadsheet steps
> through each stock symbol/number upon completion of the spreadsheet
> calculation (about 1 second).
> 2/ How do I latch the outputs in successively lower rows as the input
> steps through the 200 symbols?
>
> I can see accomplishing the objective with 200 worksheets, but since
> each worksheet is MB in size and loaded with complex formulae, this
> gets very unwieldy.
>
> I have put together a spinner to step through the numbers.  I have no
> skills with macros, but I suppose I could use a macro to manually
> take the output to progressively lower rows with <paste special> on
> each trip but how do I do the stepping process automatically?
>
> The NOW() function seems to be apt for timing but how do I get it to
> operate so as to recognize when a spreadsheet calculation is complete
> and the system is ready to go to the next calculation? My first
> introduction to the NOW() function was today and I don't see how to
> get seconds out of it, only minutes.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Neil.
>
> [Unfortunately, there's no performance proof on finding winners in
the
> market yet - still in the research stage!]

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/22/2004 11:06:00 PM
Hi
find below a repost of the code to take care of some linebreaks:
----

Frank Kabel wrote:
> [...]
>> gets very unwieldy.
>>
>> I have put together a spinner to step through the numbers.  I have
no
>> skills with macros, but I suppose I could use a macro to manually
>> take the output to progressively lower rows with <paste special> on
>> each trip but how do I do the stepping process automatically?
>>
>> The NOW() function seems to be apt for timing but how do I get it to
>> operate so as to recognize when a spreadsheet calculation is
complete
>> and the system is ready to go to the next calculation? My first
>> introduction to the NOW() function was today and I don't see how to
>> get seconds out of it, only minutes.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Neil.
>>
>> [Unfortunately, there's no performance proof on finding winners in
>> the market yet - still in the research stage!]

2/22/2004 11:12:17 PM
Thanks very much, Frank.  I'll need to study VB and your code a bit more
before I can use your ideas which were most kindly put forth.  Thanks also
for the followup note.  I'll keep you informed of progress and will likely
be back with questions which you kindly offered to reply to.

Best, Neil.

news:O0ORSlZ%23DHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... Hi find below a repost of
[...]

2/23/2004 2:24:57 AM
I created a simple version of the code to try out.  I created an excel
worksheet with four formulae in cells B2:E2 referencing cell A2 as the input
cell and a stock list was put in cells H2:H17.  The input cell was A2.  An
add-in  was used in the formulas to abstract the data from the database.  I
appeared to find it necessary to change the Set copy_range as follows:
Set copy_range = wks.Range("B$2:E$2")  - i.e. a $ sign was needed to
stop simple iteration of line one data only.

All very well!  Excellent results and that's great!  I noted that the last
input was left behind in cells A2:E2.  That's OK.  See below (hope it's not
too scrambled by the posting routine).

However, I noted that after running the macro, the whole workbook is
corrupted in that I can no longer copy and paste formulae normally in this
workbook.  If I add a new worksheet and use the same add-in I get wrong
answers when copying and pasting in the new worksheet.  It's as though the
formulae that I'm using in the add-in disregard the newly typed reference
cell and always use the cell A2 no matter what.

Frank, do you have any thoughts on this?  Revised code follows below. [I
added the end Sub line also. ]

Thanks very much,
Neil.

Sub latch_value()
Dim rng_stocks As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim rng_calculate As Range
Dim row_count As Integer
Dim col_stocks As Integer
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim row_stocks As Integer
Dim wks As Worksheet
Dim copy_range As Range

Set wks = ActiveSheet
Set rng_stocks = wks.Range("H2:H15")
col_stocks = rng_stocks.Column
row_stocks = rng_stocks.row
Set rng_calculate = wks.Range("A2")
Set copy_range = wks.Range("B$2:E$2")

For row_count = row_stocks To (rng_stocks.row + _
   rng_stocks.Rows.Count - 1)
    If wks.Cells(row_count, col_stocks).Value <> "" Then
        rng_calculate.Value = wks.Cells(row_count, col_stocks).Value
        wks.Calculate
        copy_range.Copy
        copy_range.Offset(row_count - row_stocks + 1, 0).PasteSpecial _
           Paste:=xlPasteValues
        rng_calculate.Copy
        rng_calculate.Offset(row_count - row_stocks + 1, _
             0).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
    End If
Next row_count
End Sub
      Result (roughly):

                 OPEN(0) HIGH(0) LOW(0) CLOSE(0)   EQUITY
      INTC   30.03     30.03         28.65         29        A
      A         34.92      34.932     33.37         33.72     AAPL
      AAPL   22.45     22.46      21.8899       22.19   ADBE
      ADBE   37.96     38.17     36.22         36.6       ALTR
      ALTR   21.9     22.13     21.31          21.84      AMAT
      AMAT   21.87     21.88     20.95       21.21        AMGN
      AMGN   63.57     63.73     63.02     63.12        AMZN
      AMZN   45.19     45.253     43.35     43.969     twx
      twx         17.68     17.7     17.49     17.52         CD
      CD        22.53      22.55   22.15      22.27        CE
      CE        14.45      14.62    14.38     14.43        CHKP
      CHKP   23.07       23.09    21.9       22.18       CMCSK
      CMCSK 29.43    29.44     28.58     28.7          CSCO
      CSCO    23.17    23.26     22.54     22.75         DELL
      DELL     34.02     34.09      33.2     33.36          ELX
      ELX       25.02      25.02      22.73    23.4          GPS
      GPS      20.52      20.63     20.44     20.45           HD
      HD        35.79      35.9      35.16     35.38           HPQ
      HPQ     23.35      23.35     22.69     22.91           INTC
      INTC    30.03     30.03     28.65      29

0
nspokes (4)
2/24/2004 4:14:51 PM
Hi
you forgot the last two lines. add the following just above 'end sub':
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

This should help :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

N. Spokes wrote:
> [...]
>       AMAT   21.87     21.88     20.95       21.21        AMGN
>       AMGN   63.57     63.73     63.02     63.12        AMZN
>       AMZN   45.19     45.253     43.35     43.969     twx
>       twx         17.68     17.7     17.49     17.52         CD
>       CD        22.53      22.55   22.15      22.27        CE
>       CE        14.45      14.62    14.38     14.43        CHKP
>       CHKP   23.07       23.09    21.9       22.18       CMCSK
>       CMCSK 29.43    29.44     28.58     28.7          CSCO
>       CSCO    23.17    23.26     22.54     22.75         DELL
>       DELL     34.02     34.09      33.2     33.36          ELX
>       ELX       25.02      25.02      22.73    23.4          GPS
>       GPS      20.52      20.63     20.44     20.45           HD
>       HD        35.79      35.9      35.16     35.38           HPQ
>       HPQ     23.35      23.35     22.69     22.91           INTC
>       INTC    30.03     30.03     28.65      29

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/24/2004 4:20:55 PM
You're right, Frank - I inadvertently omitted two rows in my initial copy
and pasting - thanks for your patience.  The new macro works like a charm
and resolves issues that I mentioned.  I gotta learn this stuff, it's very
powerful.

Best,
Neil Spokes (: -))

0
nspokes (4)

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

Save and save as

Saving Images

Select All question
At home I have Excel 2002 and am very happy with it. At work, I have Excel 2003, and I find it disconcerting that, when I hit a Ctrl + A, it selects a range of its own choosing, within the work I am most currently on. When I say Select All, I mean Select All - is there some option that is incorrectly set? I have looked all over the Customize and Options areas. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. -- Regards, P D Sterling Florida, New York USA True, they added an annoying thing in 2003, you need to do it twice in Excel 2003 for it to select all, wait it gets worse! In Excel 200...

"Unattainable" savings goals

Saving default tabs

Save to unProtect a Document?

Save csv format to dbf format

Select N rows and get Minimum
Dear All I need your help to sove this problem. I have a table Customers_Bal containing the following Information: Date Balance 01/01/2007 1000 01/02/2007 700 01/03/2007 800 01/04//2007 600 01/05/2007 1200 01/06/2007 1800 01/07/2007 2600 01/08/2007 900 01/09/2007 600 I need to select the first N rows and get the min(balance) and put it a new field (Bal_Min) in the Nth record. after select nrows from the second row - Get the min(balnce) put it a new field (Bal_Min) in the Nth+1 record and so on till the EOF. Let's suppose t...

Daylight Savings Time #2

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

How to get saved old saved work that was saved over?
I typed up some History notes and saved it. I wanted to use the same format from those History notes for some new History notes and I saved over on my old work. How can i retrive my old saved work? My work was in Word not Excel But I could not find a place to ask a question in the Word help section. If you saved over the original file, it is gone forever. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Maral" <Maral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0ADFEF9-6A46-4589-8923-4BFC07D9C61F@microsoft.com......

How do you select a specific Visio tab when 'Inserting Object' into Word doc?
I am inserting an object (Visio diagram) in my Word document so that updates to the Visio diagram are automatically reflected in the Word doc. I clicked Insert > Object > Link to File, and used it as a workaround to the bug found when you copy the Visio diagram by clicking Edit > Paste Special > Paste Link (bug is found if the Visio diagram is on a file share; you can't insert it - the option for Paste Link is grayed out). This Insert > Object workaround works fine, HOWEVER, my Visio file has multiple tabs on it. How do I distinguish which tab I want to embed? ...

control recording saving
I designing a form the feilds are bound. the form will be used by other workers i want the form to update records using a update button but if the user enters data and then decides that they don't want to update the information. hqw can i prevent the update of the information entered on the form when the user closes the form using the close button "904allen" <904allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > I designing a form the feilds are bound. the form will > be used by other workers i want the form to update > records using a update button but if the user ...

auto save email address's
In outlook 2007, how do I set it to auto save email address's that I send out? No full versions of Outlook ever had the ability to add recipients automatically to your Contacts Folder. Only the long abandoned IMO mode of Outlook 98/2000 did that. To automatically add the email address of people you respond to to your Contacts Folder requires code: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autoaddrecip.htm http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Johnfli" <john@ivhs.us> wrote in message news:%23t7Bb82DIHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &g...

Check for valid file name before saving
My form copies a file from one locatin, prompts the user to create a new name for the file, then saves the file to another location. is there an easy way to ensure the user has entered a valid file name (e.g. did not use '/' or "^" or anything like that) so the save does not fail? OR, would it be easier to some how set up error handling so that if the save fails for that reason, i can prompt the user to try again. How would i do either of these things? Thanks, You must use error handling for this kind of operation, as there are just too many things that could go wrong....

Transfer from Checking into Savings account...
OK all, Now I'm really confused. I'm using M05 Deluxe and I set up an ING Direct savings account. I transfered $20.00 into the ING account from checking but when I look at the ING savings account register, it shows a poitive Decrease of 20.00 and a balance of (20.00). As if I owe 20.00 to ING. However, when I click on the Home tab, it shows that ING has a positive amount of $20.00. What gives? Am I doing something wrong or is this how it's supposed to be? Thanks, Steve Essential Register and/or downloaded transaction data? What type of Money Account is the ING Savings ...

Save All...
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro SP2 Hi, Is there a way to do a Save All (all opened files) in a similar fashion as clicking Shift|File|Close All ? Failing that, any macros out there I could use? Thanks a million! Here is one I use to save and close all opened files including the file housing the macro and leaving excel. Sub CLOSE_ALL() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each w In Application.Workbooks If w.Name <> ThisWorkbook.Name Then w.Save w.Close ' w.Close SaveChanges:=True 'MsgBox w.Name End If Next w ThisWorkbook.Save Applicati...

selecting specific data #3
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee -- Thanks in advance...

daylight savings #2
It may be daylight savings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891338 ...