Same operations on a variable number of rows

I am posting this to both the regular and the programming group
because I don't know if the solution requires programming. If not,
sorry and ignore this.

Anyway, here is my questions. I have a specific and then a more
general issues. I have a set of data that changes frequently. In
particular, the number of items change. What I want to do is get the
list of unique concatenations of the items. Now that part is easy. I
concatenate the cells. Copy as value. Then make a filter unique. But
that is lots of action on my part. I have to copy the concatenate
formula to a variable number of rows. I have to do the copy and paste
special. And I have to do the filter. Is there someway to make it more
automated? My idea, which may not fit in with excel, would be to have
something that looked in col A and B, concatenated everything as long
as there was something there, and wrote the value to col C. If it
could then filter and write that to D I would be very happy.  I am as
interested in the general problem of dealing with variable number of
data items as this specific problem (which is just a sub-set of what I
am doing). I could do it with a DB, but that is much more complex a
problem and has its own issues in my case.

Anyway, TIA.
--
Matt Silberstein

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

assuming data starts in A1 and there are no headers in the first row.

Sub GetUniques()
Dim rng As Range
Dim cell As Range
Dim rng1 As Range
Set rng = Range(Cells(1, "A"), Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
For Each cell In rng
  Cells(cell.Row, "C").Value = cell.Value & _
    cell.Offset(0, 1).Value
Next
Cells(1, "C").Insert Shift:=xlShiftDown
Cells(1, "C").Value = "Header"
Set rng1 = Range(Cells(1, "C"), Cells(1, "C").End(xlDown))
rng1.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
    CopyToRange:=Cells(1, "D"), _
    Unique:=True
Cells(1, "C").Resize(1, 2).Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
End Sub

This method doesn't use concatenation and the results are not concatenated,
however the unique results are the same if you did concatenate them.

Sub GetUniquesAlternate()
Range("A1:B1").Insert Shift:=xlDown
Range("A1:B1").Value = _
  Array("Header1", "Header2")
Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Resize(, 2) _
    .AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
    CopyToRange:=Cells(1, "C"), _
    Unique:=True
Range("A1:D1").Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
End Sub

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
message news:uar75199v2gs7nmqopkg9if6u2csbio3dp@4ax.com...
> I am posting this to both the regular and the programming group
> because I don't know if the solution requires programming. If not,
> sorry and ignore this.
>
> Anyway, here is my questions. I have a specific and then a more
> general issues. I have a set of data that changes frequently. In
> particular, the number of items change. What I want to do is get the
> list of unique concatenations of the items. Now that part is easy. I
> concatenate the cells. Copy as value. Then make a filter unique. But
> that is lots of action on my part. I have to copy the concatenate
> formula to a variable number of rows. I have to do the copy and paste
> special. And I have to do the filter. Is there someway to make it more
> automated? My idea, which may not fit in with excel, would be to have
> something that looked in col A and B, concatenated everything as long
> as there was something there, and wrote the value to col C. If it
> could then filter and write that to D I would be very happy.  I am as
> interested in the general problem of dealing with variable number of
> data items as this specific problem (which is just a sub-set of what I
> am doing). I could do it with a DB, but that is much more complex a
> problem and has its own issues in my case.
>
> Anyway, TIA.
> --
> Matt Silberstein
>
> All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
> a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
> there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
> end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
> or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

0
twogilvy (1078)
4/6/2005 2:38:08 PM
Hi, Matt.  This will concatenate Cols. A&B and write to C, then filter C for
your criterion and paste to D.  Sorry - it doesn't do anything to handle
blanks in A and/or B.  If that's a major problem, I;m sure it can be worked
out.

HTH
Ed

Sub Foo_CONCATENATE()

Dim LastRow As Long
Dim strFilter As String
Dim wks As Worksheet

Set wks = ActiveSheet
With wks
    ' Run down Col. A to find last row
    LastRow = .Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row
    ' Insert Concentate formula
    .Range("C2").Formula = "=CONCATENATE(A2, B2)"
    .Range("C2:C" & LastRow).FillDown
    Calculate

    ' Get filter criterion
    strFilter = InputBox("Enter filter criterion.")
    ' Filter
    .Range("C1").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=strFilter
    ' Copy filtered range
    .Range("C2:C" & LastRow).Copy
    ' Paste values
    .Range("D2").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues, , SkipBlanks:=True
    ' Toggle Filter
    .Range("A1").Select
    Selection.AutoFilter

End With

End Sub
"Matt Silberstein" <RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
message news:uar75199v2gs7nmqopkg9if6u2csbio3dp@4ax.com...
> I am posting this to both the regular and the programming group
> because I don't know if the solution requires programming. If not,
> sorry and ignore this.
>
> Anyway, here is my questions. I have a specific and then a more
> general issues. I have a set of data that changes frequently. In
> particular, the number of items change. What I want to do is get the
> list of unique concatenations of the items. Now that part is easy. I
> concatenate the cells. Copy as value. Then make a filter unique. But
> that is lots of action on my part. I have to copy the concatenate
> formula to a variable number of rows. I have to do the copy and paste
> special. And I have to do the filter. Is there someway to make it more
> automated? My idea, which may not fit in with excel, would be to have
> something that looked in col A and B, concatenated everything as long
> as there was something there, and wrote the value to col C. If it
> could then filter and write that to D I would be very happy.  I am as
> interested in the general problem of dealing with variable number of
> data items as this specific problem (which is just a sub-set of what I
> am doing). I could do it with a DB, but that is much more complex a
> problem and has its own issues in my case.
>
> Anyway, TIA.
> --
> Matt Silberstein
>
> All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
> a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
> there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
> end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
> or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

0
ed_millis (164)
4/6/2005 2:59:26 PM
Just a heads up, but
think you misread:

> What I want to do is get the list of unique concatenations of the items.

Autofilter won't do uniques.  You have to use advanced filter.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > something that looked in col A and B, concatenated everything as long
> > as there was something there, and wrote the value to col C. If it
> > could then filter and write that to D I would be very happy.  I am as
> > interested in the general problem of dealing with variable number of
> > data items as this specific problem (which is just a sub-set of what I
> > am doing). I could do it with a DB, but that is much more complex a
> > problem and has its own issues in my case.
> >
> > Anyway, TIA.
> > --
> > Matt Silberstein
> >
> > All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
> > a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
> > there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
> > end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
> > or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

4/6/2005 3:07:05 PM
Ouch!  Thank you for pointing that out, Tom.  I also tried it with numbers,
and found out concatenate writes as a text string, and numeric filter
operators (<, >) won't work.  *sigh*  I'll keep plugging!  I'm bound to get
better - after all, I've learned most of what I know from you already!

Ed

"Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > something that looked in col A and B, concatenated everything as long
> > > as there was something there, and wrote the value to col C. If it
> > > could then filter and write that to D I would be very happy.  I am as
> > > interested in the general problem of dealing with variable number of
> > > data items as this specific problem (which is just a sub-set of what I
> > > am doing). I could do it with a DB, but that is much more complex a
> > > problem and has its own issues in my case.
> > >
> > > Anyway, TIA.
> > > --
> > > Matt Silberstein
> > >
> > > All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
> > > a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
> > > there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
> > > end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
> > > or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

4/6/2005 3:15:32 PM
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:38:08 -0400, in microsoft.public.excel , "Tom
Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> in <udewDZrOFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>
wrote:

>assuming data starts in A1 and there are no headers in the first row.
>
>Sub GetUniques()
>Dim rng As Range
>Dim cell As Range
>Dim rng1 As Range
>Set rng = Range(Cells(1, "A"), Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
>For Each cell In rng
>  Cells(cell.Row, "C").Value = cell.Value & _
>    cell.Offset(0, 1).Value
>Next
>Cells(1, "C").Insert Shift:=xlShiftDown
>Cells(1, "C").Value = "Header"
>Set rng1 = Range(Cells(1, "C"), Cells(1, "C").End(xlDown))
>rng1.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
>    CopyToRange:=Cells(1, "D"), _
>    Unique:=True
>Cells(1, "C").Resize(1, 2).Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
>End Sub
>
>This method doesn't use concatenation and the results are not concatenated,
>however the unique results are the same if you did concatenate them.

I think I understand this enough to make it do what I want. Thanks for
a very large help.

>Sub GetUniquesAlternate()
>Range("A1:B1").Insert Shift:=xlDown
>Range("A1:B1").Value = _
>  Array("Header1", "Header2")
>Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Resize(, 2) _
>    .AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
>    CopyToRange:=Cells(1, "C"), _
>    Unique:=True
>Range("A1:D1").Delete Shift:=xlShiftUp
>End Sub

More compact, but harder for me to do more processing. Thanks again.

--
Matt Silberstein

NUMBER FORMAT #9
CREATE A NEW NUMBER FORMAT SO THAT THE SELECTED DATES WILL APPEAR ONLY AS THE FULL NAME OF THE DAYS OF THE WEEK. ...

Copy certain cells in a row based on one coordinate
I have a few thousand rows of data and about 10 columns. In a different sheet tab, I want to enter a coordinate(G22) in cell A1, and in B1, I want to see the text in B22 of the other sheet. I hope this makes sense. I have a data sheet, and want to extract certain cells from a certain row and place it in a different sheet to fax to a customer. I was hoping there was a command to enter a cell, and cells from that row would be entered in another sheet in a different order. Joe Hi have a look at VLOOKUP if I understood you correctly: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html -- Regards...

Moving text from row to column in Excel
Hi, I'm working with a report from a web-based application that I cannot export into Excel. I can copy and paste the text, but when I do that all the text that is listed in columns horizontally ends up being listed in the first column of my Excel file vertically. What I want to do is select, say for example, the first 8 or so items in the list vertically and have them move to the first 8 horizontal cells. Is there an easy way to do this short of copy and paste? This is something I may need to do on a regular basis and need a quick and easy way to change the way this info is coming into Ex...

deleting rows automatically using a maco or vba
I have a report that comes to me in Excel 2003. I need to remove the first 3 and last 3 rows. The report in between may vary on the number of rows however. It is basically a repetion I want to forgo. This assumes that col A is filled on the last row: Sub RowRemover() Dim n As Long Dim s As String n = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row s = n - 2 & ":" & n Rows(s).Delete Rows("1:3").Delete End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "outrigger" wrote: > I have a report that comes to me in Excel 2003. I need t...

"the operation has timedout" error
Hi All, I am getting the following error. Is it possible to increase the timeout period of a web service? Event Type: Error Event Source: UKDynamics Event Category: (6) Event ID: 103 Date: 15/10/2008 Time: 14:41:52 User: N/A Computer: XXXXXXXXXX Description: Message:- Failure occured during Synchronisation of Locations from XXXXX to CRM. The operation has timed out Type:- System.Net.WebException Source:- System.Web.Services at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWeb...

Adjusting formula so it works even if some rows above empty?
I have a dollar amount in cell F23, say, with a formula in G23 to deduct that from subtotal in G22. The formula in G23 looks like this: =IF($F23<>"",($G22-$F23),"") This works great. But I've run into a problem I need to adjust for and can't figure out. These columns, F and G, from rows 18 to 31 are for miscellaneous information. Sometimes I have amounts to deduct, other times it's just info in the description column B to the left of F (there are some merged cells there) about payments in the rest of the spreadsheet and no amount needs go into column 2...

FAILED OPERATION
publisher will not connect to outlook when sending email attachment What version Publisher? What version Outlook? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "fits nicely" <fits nicely@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:452BD0E4-6742-4A99-B86E-3CB2AF88500A@microsoft.com... > publisher will not connect to outlook when sendi...

How to make repeating rows stop
I have a client with Excel 2002. She has row 7 set to repeat. However after row 210 (which becomes a notes section) she wants it to stop. Is this possible? Thanks, carla bradley carla.bradley@DELETETHIS.lgeenergy.com I don't believe this is possible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Carla Bradley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01e001c48b9f$de40b4e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client with Excel 2002. She has row 7 set to > repeat. However after row 210 (which be...

Sorting rows by identical value of columns
I have an inventory worksheet with 3 columns. Each of the columns contains values that should exist in at least one of the other two columns. We want to visualize the rows that contains values not represented in another column. The data in each column is sorted A-Z, but this does not show the "gaps" where a value is not in one of the other columns. A B C 1 PC1 PC2 PC2 2 PC2 PC3 PC4 3 PC3 PC4 PC5 4 PC5 PC5 PC6 We want this sorted by identical values on the "row axis". A ...

Dual cash drawer operation
I have a prospect that has a news and gift store, and also sells lottery tickets. He would like to use a separate cash drawer at the POS, to enable him to keep the state money separate from other sales monies. He wants to kick the second drawer for this transaction. Can this be handled at the POS? Thanks for the help. Ralph. Hi Ralf :-) Do they accept other tender types for these transactions "can I pay with VISA for lottery tickets?" I'm just curious... maybe Vince has some tips :-) I know this isn't the answer you are looking for... but how about at the end of ...

HOW DO I GET A WARNING FOR REPEATED NUMBERS
I am working on a spreasheet in excel I have got invoice numbers but i need to create a warning for repeated invoice numbers.Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Try =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1, previously posted by Vishu "Kenya" wrote: > I am working on a spreasheet in excel I have got invoice numbers but i need > to create a warning for repeated invoice numbers.Any help would be most > appreciated. > Thanks Thank you Kassie,It worked! "Kassie" wrote: > Try =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)=1, previously posted by Vishu > > > "Kenya" wrote: >...

"Sticky" prices for parts in Store Operations
Hi, When we go into store operations, bring up a part and check it's price, then go into another part - RMS seems to "remember" the last part's price. eg. we look at, say, a bolt - it is $3.50, we close that, open up, say, a truck (just an example) - this truck now shows a price of $3.50! In POS where we do the invoices, it has the right price for the truck... but we don't want to do an invoice when just looking up parts for a verbal query. This is a strange one, has anyone else seen this or knows where I can start looking? Thanks, Daniel This issue was fixed...

Sorting does numbers in weird order
I was given a worksheet that I need to sort in numerical order. The cells contain both letters and numbers (e.g., VL 1087). The problem is that it sorts them like VL 1, VL 10, VL 100, VL 1000, VL 1001, etc. VL 16 is after 159 etc. Kind of like dewey decimal system without the decimals. I have tried reformatting the cells to text, numbers, general. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? The easiest way is to insert two temporary helper columns next to th numbers column. Then - seperate the VL from the numbers, using Data Text-to-columns. Now you have a number column you can sort by, an a...

Operator precedence (order of operate) =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2)
Hi, what is the order of operating and calculating in this formula? =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) 1- A1+A2 2- A1/A2 3- A3^5 4- A2*A3 Regards. If it were me, I'd put parens in to ensure I get the calculation I want. "Masood Shahab" <masshahab@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e9d5QwzsFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > > Hi, > what is the order of operating and calculating in this formula? > =A1/A2*A3^5-(A1+A2) > > 1- A1+A2 > > 2- A1/A2 > > 3- A3^5 > > 4- A2*A3 > > > > Regards. > > > Masood Shahab wrote... &...

Number of users per message store.
Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per message store, other tan counting them seperatly. Thanks, Mark in the ESM, you should be able to drill down to "Mailboxes", select them all, and get a count down in the "status" bar... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mark A. Dudley" <mark@nospamcjmnetworking.com> wrote in message news:447495a7.179533468@msnews.microsoft.com... > Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per > message store, other tan counting them seperatly. > > Thanks, > Mark On Wed, 24 Ma...

You cannot perform this operation at the moment.There is an online operation in progress.
Do you know why is the following message appearings "You cannot perform this operation at the moment.There is an online operation in progress.Please try again later". I have nothing running in the background. I am trying to import a file by downloading from the web and then clicking "Open" button. Some activity is in process, either the one you initiated or another one Money piggy-backed on your request. Money does some auto-processing on imported files, trying to match the file transactions to existing Money transactions. It doesn't let you make any transac...

Customer Item Number on Packing Slips, Orders, Quotes
I want to add the Customer Item Number on my reports. I found a user-defined function RW_SOP_GetCustomerItemNumber but I don't know how to use it (what parameters I need?) Does somebody know where I can find this information? Thanks, What I have found, Cards>Sales>Customer Items The customer items are added here... "Veri Salvador" wrote: > I want to add the Customer Item Number on my reports. I found a user-defined > function RW_SOP_GetCustomerItemNumber but I don't know how to use it (what > parameters I need?) Does somebody know where I can find th...

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed
I seem to be getting this error from the client side of Headquarters quite often, and I can't seem to find any solution online. The MessageBox also says: "(Unhandled Error, state = '7')" Seems to me this could possibly be a programming error, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Or, does anyone know if this is a problem that they haven't dealt with yet, or at least whether this is a problem I'm supposed to deal with or they are supposed to deal with? "Cribstoteens" wrote: > I seem to be getting this error from t...

How To Scramble The Variables in a module?
Does an Add-In exist that can do this? Any ideas as of how it can be done? Harlan Grove wrote: > "TwIsTeR_0O0" <adsd@hotmail.com> wrote... > >>Does an Add-In exist that can do this? >> >>Any ideas as of how it can be done? > > > Do you mean code obfuscation? > > Yes. ...

variable gaps
have values in cells f5 and h5.These values range from 1 to 1000,but ar in bands, and there only allowed increments in each band. Min max incr 1.00 2.00 0.01 2.02 3.00 0.02 3.05 4.00 0.05 4.10 6.00 0.10 6.20 10.00 0.20 10.50 20.00 0.50 21.00 30.00 1.00 32.00 50.00 2.00 55.00 100.00 5.00 110.00 1000.00 10.00 Thus allowed values are 1.01,1.02,-----,2.02,2.04-----,3.05,3.10,3.1 etc. In cell c25 I have difference between f5 and h5.I need to put in cel d25,the number of increments between f5 and h5. Suppose f5 is 5.7 and h5 is 17. How many increments is this? By hand,5.7 to 6 is 3 increments...

Printing from the Store Operations Journal
I am trying to print from the store operation manager journal. When I go to print I get a message indicating that: "An error occured while trying to print to the specified printer. Please make sure that you have a printer installed and that it is properly configured before continuing." I get this if I: Click the Print button Click the Page Setup button Press Alt-P (per the help file) I am running RMS 2.0 with SP2 currently installed. Earlier today I had SP3 installed. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and SP2. I am a tech support person and do no...

Number and Text issues
I have an .xls file that has a list of clients that I have filtered and sorted. In column "A", there is a list of numbers, some that have preceeding zeros and some that do not, but all of the numbers are of the same length. I have created a macro in another .xlsm spreadsheet (driven by commandbutton located on a userform) which allows the user to enter (via inputbox) a number and it will search the .xls file and return to the userform the information which is in the same row as the number entered by the client. This macro takes all of the values in column "A&q...

Money 2004 illegal operation error
Hi, Recently, about a week ago, whenever I close my Money 2004 program I get an illegal operation error as follows; MSN has caused an invalid page fault in Kernel32.dll at 0167:bff9db61. I have checked everywhere I can think of to find the problem with no results. This only occurs when I close the program. Sometimes when I click close on the error message it goes away and I can continue normally, other times the error message just keeps popping right back and I have to reboot to get rid of it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. I am using Windows 98se and IE 6.0. T...

Selecting alternate rows
I have a large file (Excel XP) with about 300+names and related details. I need to break it into 2 files but I need to select alternate rows for each file. It may come out to every 3rd row to work into 3 files. Is there a quick way to do this rather than tediously select each alternate row, copy to the new file and delete from the old file? Many thanks for your help. Norm. Many thanks - I shall give it a go. If I have a problem, I'll get back to you. Norm. "B. R.Ramachandran" wrote: > Hi, > > You can break your data into two worksheets as follows: > >...

Is there a number for Paid Outlook Support?
Is there a number for Paid Outlook Support? My Problem is listed below. I have search on the newsgroups and forums and have yet to get an answer, so now I guess I will pay. Please direct me to the paid support phone number. If you think you can solve my problem, that would be great too! Thanks Chaz THE PROBLEM: I am now using Outlook 2007, but this problem exists on Outlook 2003 as well. I put all the correct settings in and then most times I can then read and send email. The problem is that I keep getting this pop up box Asking for the username and password for the server. Even th...