Row Numbering

I'm using Office 2007, and I have a spreadsheet with 112 rows. I have two
questions:

(1) For some reason, the built-in numbering skips rows--goes from 41 to 45.
There are no hidden rows. How can I fix this?

(2) In column A, I've set up my own numbering, but line 1--the header
row--reads as zero. Is there a way to fix this so that that row doesn't
print out or show a zero? In other words, to leave that cell blank?

0
Andrea
6/1/2010 3:28:04 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The row heights are set to zero?

You have a filter enabled?

Don't enter 0 in A1 and it will remain blank.

Start numbering from A2.

Enter 1 in A2...........right-click on A2 and drag the fill handle down =
as
far as you wish.

Release button and "Fill Series"

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:28:04 -0400, "Andrea" =
<andreawkNOSPAM@NOSPAMcox.net>
wrote:

>I'm using Office 2007, and I have a spreadsheet with 112 rows. I have =
two=20
>questions:
>
>(1) For some reason, the built-in numbering skips rows--goes from 41 to =
45.=20
>There are no hidden rows. How can I fix this?
>
>(2) In column A, I've set up my own numbering, but line 1--the header=20
>row--reads as zero. Is there a way to fix this so that that row doesn't=20
>print out or show a zero? In other words, to leave that cell blank?=20

0
Gord
6/1/2010 3:56:12 PM
OK, removing the zero was easy. Thank you. Fixing the built-in numbers is
more difficult.

How do I know if the row heights are set to zero? I don't see this on Excel
2007. How do I know if a filter is enabled? I don't think it should be, but
how can I find out?

Gord Dibben wrote:
> The row heights are set to zero?
>
> You have a filter enabled?
>
> Don't enter 0 in A1 and it will remain blank.
>
> Start numbering from A2.
>
> Enter 1 in A2...........right-click on A2 and drag the fill handle
> down as far as you wish.
>
> Release button and "Fill Series"
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:28:04 -0400, "Andrea"
> <andreawkNOSPAM@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm using Office 2007, and I have a spreadsheet with 112 rows. I
>> have two questions:
>>
>> (1) For some reason, the built-in numbering skips rows--goes from 41
>> to 45. There are no hidden rows. How can I fix this?
>>
>> (2) In column A, I've set up my own numbering, but line 1--the header
>> row--reads as zero. Is there a way to fix this so that that row
>> doesn't print out or show a zero? In other words, to leave that cell
>> blank?

0
Andrea
6/1/2010 4:14:39 PM
I figured out how to check the row height, and all the rows are set at
15.75, including the one above and below the missing rows. (The one above
was 14.25 for some reason, but I just changed it to 15.75 and this didn't
affect the missing rows.)

As best I can tell, there isn't any filter enabled. When I hover over the
top of the column, it doesn't say anything, and the symbol doesn't look like
the filter enabled one I saw when I Googled this. If I'm missing something
about this, please let me know. Thanks.

Andrea wrote:
> OK, removing the zero was easy. Thank you. Fixing the built-in
> numbers is more difficult.
>
> How do I know if the row heights are set to zero? I don't see this on
> Excel 2007. How do I know if a filter is enabled? I don't think it
> should be, but how can I find out?
>

> Gord Dibben wrote:
>> The row heights are set to zero?
>>
>> You have a filter enabled?
>>
>> Don't enter 0 in A1 and it will remain blank.
>>
>> Start numbering from A2.
>>
>> Enter 1 in A2...........right-click on A2 and drag the fill handle
>> down as far as you wish.
>>
>> Release button and "Fill Series"
>>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:28:04 -0400, "Andrea"
>> <andreawkNOSPAM@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Office 2007, and I have a spreadsheet with 112 rows. I
>>> have two questions:
>>>
>>> (1) For some reason, the built-in numbering skips rows--goes from 41
>>> to 45. There are no hidden rows. How can I fix this?
>>>
>>> (2) In column A, I've set up my own numbering, but line 1--the
>>> header row--reads as zero. Is there a way to fix this so that that
>>> row doesn't print out or show a zero? In other words, to leave that
>>> cell blank?

0
Andrea
6/1/2010 4:56:52 PM
Sorry for all these posts, but I just figured out what the problem was. I
kept going back to where the rows stopped numbering, and I did find a row
height that was empty. When I typed in 15.75, the hidden rows appeared.
Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what caused that to happen in the first
place?

Andrea wrote:
> I figured out how to check the row height, and all the rows are set at
> 15.75, including the one above and below the missing rows. (The one
> above was 14.25 for some reason, but I just changed it to 15.75 and
> this didn't affect the missing rows.)
>
> As best I can tell, there isn't any filter enabled. When I hover over
> the top of the column, it doesn't say anything, and the symbol
> doesn't look like the filter enabled one I saw when I Googled this.
> If I'm missing something about this, please let me know. Thanks.
>
> Andrea wrote:
>> OK, removing the zero was easy. Thank you. Fixing the built-in
>> numbers is more difficult.
>>
>> How do I know if the row heights are set to zero? I don't see this on
>> Excel 2007. How do I know if a filter is enabled? I don't think it
>> should be, but how can I find out?
>>

>> Gord Dibben wrote:
>>> The row heights are set to zero?
>>>
>>> You have a filter enabled?
>>>
>>> Don't enter 0 in A1 and it will remain blank.
>>>
>>> Start numbering from A2.
>>>
>>> Enter 1 in A2...........right-click on A2 and drag the fill handle
>>> down as far as you wish.
>>>
>>> Release button and "Fill Series"
>>>

>>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
Andrea
6/1/2010 5:33:14 PM
You or someone else manually set the row heights to zero.

Gord

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:33:14 -0400, "Andrea" =
wrote:

>Sorry for all these posts, but I just figured out what the problem was. =
I=20
>kept going back to where the rows stopped numbering, and I did find a =
row=20
>height that was empty. When I typed in 15.75, the hidden rows appeared.=20
>Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what caused that to happen in the =
first=20
>place?
>

>Andrea wrote:
>> I figured out how to check the row height, and all the rows are set at
>> 15.75, including the one above and below the missing rows. (The one
>> above was 14.25 for some reason, but I just changed it to 15.75 and
>> this didn't affect the missing rows.)
>>
>> As best I can tell, there isn't any filter enabled. When I hover over
>> the top of the column, it doesn't say anything, and the symbol
>> doesn't look like the filter enabled one I saw when I Googled this.
>> If I'm missing something about this, please let me know. Thanks.
>>
>> Andrea wrote:
>>> OK, removing the zero was easy. Thank you. Fixing the built-in
>>> numbers is more difficult.
>>>
>>> How do I know if the row heights are set to zero? I don't see this on
>>> Excel 2007. How do I know if a filter is enabled? I don't think it
>>> should be, but how can I find out?

0
Gord
6/1/2010 9:48:01 PM
I was the only one who worked on it, so it had to be me, but I can't figure
out how I did that because I didn't even know how to adjust the row height
in Excel 2007 until today. Anyway, at least it's fixed now. Thanks.

Gord Dibben wrote:
> You or someone else manually set the row heights to zero.
>

> Gord
>
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:33:14 -0400, "Andrea"
> <andreawkNOSPAM@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for all these posts, but I just figured out what the problem
>> was. I kept going back to where the rows stopped numbering, and I
>> did find a row height that was empty. When I typed in 15.75, the
>> hidden rows appeared. Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what
>> caused that to happen in the first place?
>>

>> Andrea wrote:
>>> I figured out how to check the row height, and all the rows are set
>>> at
>>> 15.75, including the one above and below the missing rows. (The one
>>> above was 14.25 for some reason, but I just changed it to 15.75 and
>>> this didn't affect the missing rows.)
>>>
>>> As best I can tell, there isn't any filter enabled. When I hover
>>> over the top of the column, it doesn't say anything, and the symbol
>>> doesn't look like the filter enabled one I saw when I Googled this.
>>> If I'm missing something about this, please let me know. Thanks.

0
Andrea

Hiding blank rows
I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of the three columns I would like that column to be hidden or deleted. Can I do this in some automated fashion? Thanks. Michael try adding a column in that column put something like =if(counta(b2-d2)>0,"",1) and use autofilter to hide the 1s "mlkpied" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with columns, first name, last name, home phone, > business phone and cell phone. When I don't have phone information in any of ...

Can you lock a drop-down cell so that it sorts with the row?
I have created drop-down cells (type of business) for my client contact list but when I sort that list alphabetically or by last contacted date the drop-down cells don't sort with it. How can I solve that issue? Thanks for the responses! Are these Data Validation dropdown lists? Where is the list range located? i.e. =$A$2:$A$20 If inside your sort area the lists should change to whatever is in A2:A20 after the sort. Tested in 2003 and 2007 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:19:01 -0800, Lisa in Victoria <Lisa in Victoria@discussions.micros...

Macro for merging rows
I have a fairly large spreadsheet that are sorted based on a file # (ie: E0800100, E0800101). The spreadsheet is setup to where each entry is on an individual row as seen below: A B C E0800100 Review.... 1.0 (hr) E0800100 Review.... 2.0 E0800101 Review.... 1.5 E0800102 Review.... .5 I am trying to organize the spreadsheet so that there is only one row per file number and the Descriptions (B) and Time (C) extend along the columns of that row. A. B....

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

Row Limit in Excel
I work a lot with excel and I know that the row limit is 65,536, but I need more than that. Is there any way to make the number of rows infinite or at least to give me a certain amount of more rows. If there is please let me know. Thank you. -- Please help Molly, that is all there is, per sheet. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Molly" <molly_carols@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FD2C7921-E249-4...

looking for empty row to paste a range of copied cells
Hi - I am trying to make a code that will copy a range ("A27:L27") on sheet 1 and then look for the next empty row on sheet 2 and paste it in range ("A27:L27") . I would also like the macro to insert a new blank row (or insert the copied row) for the purpose of shifting existing SUM functions on sheet 2 down. I would like those functions to be right below the copied/pasted cells every time the macro is executed. Thanks for any help - Jim A You don't Mention What column you want to sum This code will copy and paste to the fist row and then sum column D Sub Cop...

Row colouring that accommodates filtering?
What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW(),2)=1" that accommodates filtering, pls? The above gives clumps of identically-coloured rows, dependent on the particular filter criteria used. Thank you! :oD As long as there are no empty cells within the filtered list: Assume A1:B1 is the header row. A2:B10 is the data Select the range A2:B10 Conditional Formatting Formula Is: =MOD(SUBTOTAL(3,$A1:$A$2),2)=0 Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:%23wKPl8LmHHA.4768@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What can be used instead of "=MOD(ROW...

receivables transaction next document number
How do I set this from my e-connect .NET app? I need to pass DOCNUMBR field in <taRMTransaction> tag when used in e-connect. Anyone there can help me with this? Thanks. shah49@hotmail.com ...

Insert row with formatting from row below instead of row above?
My default Excel template has the top row formatted as a header, with bold text and a dark bottom border to distinguish it from the rows below. So if I insert a row at row 2, the new row is formatted like the header. Then I have to select the new row and remove the bold font, remove the dark border, select the header row and reapply the bottom border. Is there a way I can change the insert default so that it takes it's formatting from the row below instead of the row above. Or better yet, so that it has no formatting at all? Hi AFAIK you can't change this behaviour -- Regards Fra...

calculating row by row
I would like to have Excel total the sum of a row 5 of randomly generated numbers in a 6th column, one column at a time. I have no problem generating the random numbers and totalling them but I would like to generate the first number and place it in the total column then when I initiate it generate the second number, add this to the first and place it in the total and so on to the 5th column. Is this possible? Many thanks. Unless I'm missing something here, this formula should do it for you. This is for row 2 on the sheet, and would go into cell F2 =SUM(A2:E2) That formula will &q...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

how to add those numbers?
I have a column of numbers that I have to sum up, but there is one problem: some of them are formatted as a regular number (sometimes with decimals) and some are formatted as time (8:30 etc.) the regular sum(a:a) formula does not work on all of them is there any way to do it and get the result either in decimals or time or I'll have to redo the whole thing? Mark I think I'd get all those numbers to a common unit (time or minutes or hours). If you have 30 in a cell (say A1) and it represents 30 minutes, you can use a helper cell and put a formula like: =A1/24/60 (divide by the numb...

Sorting Rows by Color
Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? There is but you need to work it. Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SharonJo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:144901c4f9c9$f734ec80$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Excel 2003: Is there a way to sort rows by color? Put all > the blue rows together, all the green together, etc? ...

Accessing Client JavaScript after Selecting Row from Grid

Flag row if cell values = something specific
Let's say A1 = top and B1 = Bottom in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell background color of C1 should be red. How can I do this? And I need to do this in a macro. I can't use conditional formating from the menu. I have a recorded macro that does all my formatting and I need to add this. "Some Dude" <sdatt@myplace.com> wrote in message news:e9kw7DrfGHA.4864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Let's say A1 = top > and B1 = Bottom > > in C1, I want to say that if A1 = top and B1 = bottom then the cell > background color of...

lost cd key number #2
How do I find the install cd key number if I threw out the original cd case and box microsoft publisher 98 came in? Is there any way of getting a cd key number so I can reinstall it on my new computer? Any suggestions? What about if I originally registered it when I bought it and insalled it when it was new, does microsoft still have me registered as purchasing the sofware years ago? Fred ...

Row and columns
In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other computers using the same current version of Excel the columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers? Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

I selected row 1 and row 2 to freeze and it is freezing at row 12
I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row 12? Select one row only, if you want 2 rows above where it freezes select row 3, that will leave row1 and 2 unaffected when you scroll down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lori Brooks" <Lori Brooks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C968CA9B-35A3-427E-993C-D36F3B6D37B7@microsoft.com... >I am selecting row 1 and row 2 to freeze and excel keeps freezing at row >12? Hi, To freeze row 1 & 2 select A3 and then Window|Freeze Panes Mike "Lori Broo...

Renaming catalogs/rows/trees in FRX
Hello - Does anyone know why the Rename option in FRX is greyed out. I have used this before to rename existing catalogs/rows/columns. We are on FRX 6.7. Thanks. Marisol ...

Delete Rows #2
I would like to be able to delete a row with a name in it based on a cell with that name from another cell in a different worksheet. Any ideas? Thanks, Bernie Hi Bernie This example loop through row 1 - 100 on the activesheet and if the value in A is the same as in Sheets("Yoursheet").Range("A1").Value in delete the row Maybe you can use a Autofilter if you have many rows (faster) See this page for more info http://www.rondebruin.nl/delete.htm Sub Example2() Dim Lrow As Long Dim CalcMode As Long Dim ViewMode As Long Dim StartRow As Long Dim End...

Copy and paste to the last row
Dear ALL, pls help me for macro. I want copy the last row of column A, B and C. and Paste the row down. Example, my last row of A is A120, copy cell A120:C120. then Past to A121 Thanks so much hi if i understand correctly, this should work for you.... Sub movedownone() Dim r As Range Set r = Range("A65000").End(xlUp) r.Resize(1, 3).Copy Destination:= _ r.Offset(1, 0) End Sub regards FSt1 "tran1728" wrote: > Dear ALL, pls help me for macro. > I want copy the last row of column A, B and C. > and Paste the row down. > > Exam...

Delete all rows except...
I receive a weekly report & have been asked to delete all rows except for two particular rows. Here are the two criteria which are in column A cells: AWH98228 and AWL99467 Can anyone offer help? Thanks Try this: Sub RemoveRows() With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .Calculation = xlCalculationManual End With LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row For r = LastRow To 2 Step -1 'Headings in row 1 If Range("A" & r).Value <> "AWH98228" _ And Range("A" & r).Value <> &quo...

Hide Rows and Columns based on Date Input
Dates are listed in Column A, starting from Cell A3, and data appears in the corresponding rows (across the page). Not every cell has data in for the corresponding date. For example: The date in cell A5 may have data in Cell B5, E5 & G5. I would like to enter a date (using a command button and input box), this will then hide all rows, except for the row which relates to the date that has been entered. At the same time I would like it hide all columns that do not have data in for the given date. .... carrying on from example above. If the user entered the date that appeared in cell A5...

SUMing small numbers
For simplicty say I have two cells with values 0.0000004499190595611849428288 and 0.0000004499190595611849428288. If I have a formula that adds the two cells (=A1 + A2) the value seems to be accurate. But if I use the 'SUM' function (=SUM(A1:A2)) I get a result of zero, exactly. I have tried formatting the result of the SUM with scientific notation just to see if the value is just too small but it is really zero. I should see the sum to be something like .0000009... but it is zero. This came up when I tried to SUM about 31,000 data values (all small like this) and the result cam...

non scrolling angled row
I have seen this many times, but am unfamiliar with how to make it work I wanting to angle a top row with headings at -45 degree angle. No only the text, but the cells also. I would then like for that row no to scroll. I only want the date below to scroll. Any help is appreciate -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can't actually change the angle of cells. However, if you set the text angle to -45 degrees and apply a border to the cells, the border will also angle, so perhaps that's what you remember. For freezing that row, see Freeze Panes in XL Help. In art...