Return Range Based on Cell Value

This topic has been covered in varying degrees, but the problem is
that I do not want to sum or count the range. I want the range itself
returned as the value.

For instance in A1 is 7.  i.e. July
In B1-B12 are dates 201101, 201102, etc.

I need a formula that will count out the cells and return the range
based on that value in A1. In this case it would return B1:B7. This of
course would be nested in another formula.
0
paul2349 (15)
10/5/2011 12:18:20 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Pablo < > wrote:

>This topic has been covered in varying degrees, but the problem is
>that I do not want to sum or count the range. I want the range itself
>returned as the value.
>
>For instance in A1 is 7.  i.e. July
>In B1-B12 are dates 201101, 201102, etc.
>
>I need a formula that will count out the cells and return the range
>based on that value in A1. In this case it would return B1:B7. This of
>course would be nested in another formula.

=OFFSET(B1,0,0,A1)

If your date strings are sequential, then the above formula would return:

={201101;201102;201103;201104;201105;201106;201107}

0
ron6368 (329)
10/5/2011 12:43:34 AM
Thanks. That isn't quite what I needed because it returns all the
dates, but it got me to what I did.

I used this in the formula: =$B$1:OFFSET($A$1,0,$A$1,1)

so the offset returned B7 and the end result was B1:B7.

0
paul2349 (15)
10/5/2011 9:50:21 PM
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:50:21 -0700 (PDT), Pablo < > wrote:

>Thanks. That isn't quite what I needed because it returns all the
>dates, but it got me to what I did.
>
>I used this in the formula: =$B$1:OFFSET($A$1,0,$A$1,1)
>
>so the offset returned B7 and the end result was B1:B7.

The formula I gave returns the dates in B1:B7 which is what you wrote you wanted (you wrote dates B1:b12)

Your formula returns the contents of B1:H1.  If that is what you want, you would be better off with:

=OFFSET(B1,0,0,1,$A$1)

0
ron6368 (329)
10/5/2011 10:47:37 PM
Yeah, B1:H1. That's what I meant. Thanks for the help.

0
paul2349 (15)

Time based entry
I was wondering. Is it possible to automate a table or field entry based on time criteria. I am creating a database where the user will have to designate a transaction "cleared "for the balance to be reflected correctly. Can I do this automatically to avoid human error. For example it takes 10 days from a transaction entry to clear, therfore after 10 days I would like it to be reflected automatically if the user has not manually made the adjustment. TIA You could try this using an update query that runs when the database is opened, something like: UPDATE yourtable SET yourtable....

Dynamic unlock a cell (under condition)
Hello guys, lets see if anyone could help me out on how to do this: I have a sheet protected with a password, the reason of this (you know) is that there are some cells that are locked (to not see their formulas or 'cause I don't want them to be changed under any circustances). This is working fine, but now I have the need of some cells (two ranges actually, these are E7:E56 & N7:N56) that they come locked by default but under certain conditions I would need them to get unlocked. Taking an E7 as example, let's say that depending on what we have in B7 this E7 will chang...

Customer Returns
I'd like to know if there someone has written a RMS report that shows the customer account number, customer's name (last, first), and other customer statistics that INCLUDE pieces purchased and pieces returned. Or, if someone with more knowledge of SQL would care to share their coding expertise to accomplish the same, it would be appreciated. ...

How do I count the number of cells
I have several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data. All the columns are labled Odd or Even In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that that coulmn has data in it The last row belows shows what the answer should be Total Total Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 7 6 3 ????? ????? 5 1 2 ????? ????? 1 2 9 3 1 3 PLease help =COUNTA() - will count the number of non blank cells. In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2). Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. &...

Zero-value Budget Column in FRx SP11
Hello all, We have just resolved an interesting problem that one of our customers was encountering after upgrading from FRx SP9 to SP11, that I'd like to share with you all, along with our resolution. Bear in mind, I am not recommending this resolution to you, so much as providing it to assist you with your own enquiries. The symptoms of the problem are as follows: A report contains a two columns, a budget column and an actuals column. Running the report on FRx SP9 produces the correct figures. Running the report on FRx SP11 produces correct actuals, but the budget figu...

How do I count odd numbers in a range?
Could someone please help me!!! I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have tried to use the 'countif' , 'iseven' and 'isodd' formulas. However, I have been unsuccessful. Can someone please let me know if this can be done? Here's a formula from an older post by Peo Sjoblom that seems to do what you want: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(A1:A22,2)=1)) Adjust the range as necessary. tj "Rob" wrote: > Could someone please help me!!! > > I am trying to count how many odd and even numbers there in a range. I have > trie...

Remove Cell Auto-Format (General) on Paste / Replace
Good morning all, Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series o spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor i that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems t think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/262 (different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted AL cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and choose it's own way to paste data. The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot o the time, ...

Hi, I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.com but the return-path field is blank. With some anti-spam filter this Email is Junk. Return-Path: <> Anybody know how to specifeid a return-path to the NDR mail? _____________ Thank you Sebastien On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:48:04 -0800, "Sebas" <Sebas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I got Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 in Native Mode and when I receive >bad mail the response is made from postmaster@mydomain.c...

Format cells unavailable
I am assisting a customer running Word 2000 on a Windows 2000 system. He has a spread sheet that will not allow him to do a format > cells on the header row and a few rows below. We can select the colum and this option works but nothing happens when using this option for an individual cell. I don't think these items are protected, is there any way I can be sure? I tried selecting all of the columns and unlocked the cells and this did not help. Can anyone think of any reason why format cells would not be available on this sheet? TIA George Tools, Protection. If the sheet's ...

Convert VLOOKUP to absolute cell reference
My spreadsheet has a VLOOKUP through 44,000 rows that only needed to be performed once. The relevant data is in the VLOOKUP cells as I want them and the lookup values will never change. As long as I keep the other worksheet intact, can I convert the VLOOKUP formulas to absolute references? My spreadsheet is running very slow with the VLOOKUP in place, so I'm trying to speed things up. Would this idea work? Hi Rich, You can try to convert all the formulas as values by using copy and paste special values. also you can try to go to options calculation and change the options to manu...

Comments in Cells
Is there a way to show the comments against a cell when printing a worksheet out? Regards Ric You can print the comments as they display on the worksheet, or at the end of the worksheet. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html#Printing Ric wrote: > Is there a way to show the comments against a cell when printing a worksheet > out? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:407D1E25.407...

Site for SOP Returns
Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard Orders? Yes. You must make sure to change the site when performing a Return Transaction. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Everton Raymond" wrote: > Is it possible to have a different default Site ID for Returns than Standard > Orders? Sorry, I did not see the word "default" in your post until after I r...

Query regarding A,B,C char. width values returned in 16-bit and 32-bit OS
I am trying to retrieve individual character widths of a string (from a TrueType font) and I tried using GetCharWidth (which weirdly works for TrueType fonts too tho' MSDN says otherwise) and/or GetCharABCWidths to retrieve the A,B and C spacings. Please note that I have selected the TrueType font (hFont) into the Device Context (hDC). I used GetCharABCWidths. Problem is this: GetCharABCWidths returns correct A,B and C widths in Win 98 and incorrect (much lesser A,B and C widths such that the characters OVERLAP) in other 32-bit OS (NT, XP). The effect is seen across all TrueType fonts, th...

Merge/consolidate text cells based on unique keys ?
Hi all. I hope someone can help me out. I have an Excel worksheet with 2 columns: 'Client #' and 'Invoice #'. Every time the accounting dept. generates an invoice, a new row is added in this worksheet. Obviously this is chronological not per Client #. But for the sake of simplicity, let's assume the worksheet is already sorted by Client #, like so: A B Client # Invoice # 231 5929 231 4358 231 2185 231 6234 464 1166 464 1264 464 3432 464 1720 464 9747 791 1133 791 4930 791 5496 791 6291 989 8681 989 3023 989 7935 989 8809 989 8873 My goal is to achieve...

displaying a comment only when the cell is selected
I'd like to insert a comment in a certain cell, so that when that cell is selected by a user, the comment is then displayed. I know this must be possible, but I haven't been able to figure it out.... I can show or hide comments in various combinations, but can't find a way to hide the comment UNTIL the cell is selected, and then display it. How do I do this please?! Thanks Hi! Use Data Validation. Select the cell Goto Data>Validation Select the Input message tab Type in your message OK out The message will only be displayed when that cell is selected. (no mouse ov...

Move cell info and info in range of cells on new entry
I would like to enter info into exsiting cell and when I hit enter the existing info would move down one row. B C D E 5 Enter new info her existing info moves down 6 7 Thanks for the help. -- JoAnn You could use a worksheet_change event macro within your sheet module to do this when you enter a value into the last column of the existing row. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8378874C-D0D0-4E73-98F6-F48E61B60898@microsoft.com......

Advice Needed On Change To Exchange Server Based Email
My web hoster offers Exchange email and I am thinking of changing my main business email address from ordinary POP3 to Exchange hosted so that I can access all my email messages, contacts, etc from any location. My hosters tech support people can't seem to explain to me clearly about what would be involved in doing this but from reading the FAQs on their web site I believe that I can download some software from their web site that will create another profile within my Outlook 2007 and that emails to/from my main business email address will then be received in this profile. ...

Report for Returns
Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can see if any customers are making habit of this? Thanks and regards, Rich hitman, Try running a detailed sales report filtered to only negative sales displayed. Good luck, Matt "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B3EE780-2655-45B4-B3C6-1F5D35FFA2A7@microsoft.com... > Anyone know a why to report on frequency of customer returns -- so we can > see > if any customers are making habit of this? > > Thanks and regards, > > Rich ...

Use tiltle in a cell
Is there a way to use the title of the spreadsheet as a cell value? I asked this before in another topic, but there was no reply. My sheet get's it's title from a database and is variable. So if i can use the title i can strip several characters from the title and use this. So I want to retrieve the title of the spreadsheet and use this in a cell. Thanks! The name of a worksheet can be extracted to a cell with: =MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from em...

Linking Dialog box content with cells in "regular" sheet
How to link data in Edit box (from Dialog caption) with exact cells in "regulal" Sheets? Or is there another way to link exact content from Dialog sheet to normal sheet? For example, if I have number 200 in Dialog, I need that exact number 200 on another ("regular") sheet to preform calculations with it. thnx ...

Returning the Beginning of the week
Returning the beginning of the week. e.g. if the date == 02/03/04 (Friday 2nd March 2004) the beginning week for that date == 01/03/04 (Thursday 1st March 2004) Hows does one go about achieving this? Regards -- Rizitsu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rizitsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15840 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314968 This formula will take a date in cell A1 and give the start of the wee in B1 * assumes that monday is the start of the week, so i...

Deleting a note keeps the value in the NOTEINDX field
I just discovered that if you delete a note from a document (in my case, a cash receipts document), the system will delete the actual note record from the SY03900 table but will leave the original NOTEINDX value on the document record intact. Is this normal behavior? I would think the system should clear out the value in the document record since the note no longer exists. Referential integrity! -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 Yes, this is normal for GP. The record is created the first time the user clicks the note icon and "bookmarks...

Copy Cells
Hi all I have a spreadsheet which has lots of calls logged on it. Each call is logged by a person. I have a tab for each person. What i need to do is each persons tab needs to pick up the information for that person (pick it out of the main sheet which has everyones call on it). So any cell in column 'A' with the name 'Joes Bloggs' needs to copy accross to tab 'Joe Bloggs' along with the rest of the information on that line. Hope this makes sense, if you dont understand reply with a question. Thanks in advance Darren --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum...

return
Capability of the system to automatically change the status of the PO to change order, and add line items that have been returned. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.ms...

Replace empty cell with cell on right
Hi all I wish I could write macros!! I have a spreadsheet of names and addresses (name, add1, add2, add3, add4, add5). I want to mailmerge them but some add2s are empty, because whoever typed the data in put the next line in add3, and some add3s are empty because they used add4, and some add4s are empty etc etc This means that the mailmerge (into Publisher - yuk!) puts blank lines into the address. I would like (please!) a macro that, if I select the range add1-add5, will squash the details to the left - so all of the empty cells are on the right! Thanks. -- Andy. Good news - you don&#...