Restricting Input

Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell
restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or
has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists,
I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank.

Thanks in advance.

Randy,

0
rvieira (12)
1/24/2005 9:35:33 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
then input your restriction.

Randy Vieira wrote:
> Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell
> restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or
> has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists,
> I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Randy,

0
itguru (22)
1/24/2005 9:52:06 PM
Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You know,
like "" means blank..

Any help?

Randy,

"NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
> you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
> then input your restriction.
>
> Randy Vieira wrote:
>> Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a
>> cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is
>> "empty" or has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when
>> "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must
>> leave it blank.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Randy,

0
rvieira (12)
1/24/2005 9:58:42 PM
How about:
Allow:  Custom
formula is:  =A1=""

(to allow entry only when A1 is "".)

Or
formula is:  =A1<>""
if A1 has to have something in it first.

====
Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something in B1
and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't get
validated again.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Randy,

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> How about:
> Allow:  Custom
> formula is:  =A1=""
>
> (to allow entry only when A1 is "".)
>
> Or
> formula is:  =A1<>""
> if A1 has to have something in it first.
>
> ====
> Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something
> in B1
> and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't
> get
> validated again.
>

> Randy Vieira wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You know,
>> like "" means blank..
>>
>> Any help?
>>
>> Randy,
>>
>> "NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
>> > you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
>> > then input your restriction.

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
rvieira (12)
1/25/2005 1:22:38 PM
Hi Randy

A spreadsheet is a very liberal thing, so they're not much good for forcing
or restricting user inputs. I think you would be better off with a
userform -not really knowing what you're building, just an impression.

Best wishes Harald

"Randy Vieira" <rvieira@kirkblum.com> skrev i melding
> I'll give that a shot then, thank you.  Too bad it isn't retro-active, but
> guess some accountability must be passed on to the user input.
>
> Randy,
>

> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > How about:
> > Allow:  Custom
> > formula is:  =A1=""
> >
> > (to allow entry only when A1 is "".)
> >
> > Or
> > formula is:  =A1<>""
> > if A1 has to have something in it first.
> >
> > ====
> > Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something
> > in B1
> > and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't
> > get
> > validated again.
> >

> > Randy Vieira wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You
know,
> >> like "" means blank..
> >>
> >> Any help?
> >>
> >> Randy,
> >>
> >> "NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
data-validation,

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
innocent (844)

Restrict outgoing mail
For certain users on my network, I would like to restrict the email addesses they can send to. I have a public contact list within Exchange 2003. Can I restrict certain users to sending messages only to addressees in that contact list? Its not that simple but it should be doable using SMTP connectors. Setup one connector with unrestricted access for the main group and then setup a 2nd connector for the restricted group. You would then restrict the domain names that the second connector could send to. This approach could quickly become unwieldy though. Nue "Mark" <Mark@d...

Input calculation in specified rows and columns
Sub Inspectthis() Dim F As String Dim I As Integer Dim PrevRow As Long Dim R As Long Dim Rng As Range Dim RngEnd As Range Dim SumArray As Variant Dim Wks As Worksheet Set Wks = Worksheets("Sheet1") SumArray = Array("O", "R", "U", "X", "AA", "AD", "AG") Set Rng = Wks.Range("A2") Set RngEnd = Wks.Cells(Rows.Count, Rng.Column).End(xlUp) Set Rng = IIf(RngEnd.Row < Rng.Row, Rng, Wks.Range(Rng, RngEnd)) PrevRow = 2 For R = 2 To Rng.Rows.Count If Rng.Item(R) = "Renovation"...

Restricting subfolder creations
Hi to all, I would like to kow if there is a way to restrict users from creating subfolders in there mailboxes. I've tried the permissions in outlook 2000 but dont seem to be working. We are using Exchange 5.5 SP4. Thank you in advance for your help Alesandro What is the goal? On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:49:09 -0800, Alesandro <Alesandro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi to all, > >I would like to kow if there is a way to restrict users from creating >subfolders in there mailboxes. >I've tried the permissions in outlook 2000 but dont seem to be working. &g...

SMTP Relay and Delivery Restrictions
Hi! If I clear "Anonymous Access" option on SMTP Virtual Server >Properties>Access>Authentication, the authenticated users cannot send any mail over Exchange 2003 server. I think that is the secure way to disable this option because of relay, or not? They have the following error if they send any mail through Exchange 2003: "454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to submit mail to this server." Why? How can I realize the options below? The authenticated users in the Active Directory 1) should be able to send/recieve mails to/from domains in my Exchange org...

Update Column with Restricted Collation?
SQL Server 2008, server and database are both set to default Latin CI collation. Some characters are in there that are not valid for consuming systems. I would like to write a SQL-Update that will replace the varchar value with a value with a "restricted collation" like ASCII 7-bit so characters not on a standard US keyboard will be removed. How can I do that? Thanks. On 2010-04-13 22:01, SnapDive wrote: > SQL Server 2008, server and database are both set to default Latin CI > collation. Some characters are in there that are not valid for > consuming syste...

Input Mask Question
Dear All, I created the text box and edit the input mask 0000/00;;" ". But I need to move the cursor manually to go to the next position of the text box. for example, I want to input 2007/04 The typing sequence is 2, ->, 0, ->, 0, ->, 7, ->, 0, ->, 4 ("->" means left arrow button). Several things. 1) -> looks like a Right Arrow, not a Left arrow (I assume that's a typo) 2) WHY do you need to manually move to the next position 3) If you must, why can't you move using the arrows? Nothing in the input mask prevents this. Jason wrote: &...

How to Restrict printing multiple detail pages?
I have several form letters I have converted into Access reports. The form letter has a CorpName as a group header followed by the address info. I then added a subform that pulls names of the addressee based on their relationship to our Company (e.g. Customer Rep, facility manager). The detail portion of the report has my boilerplate language, with a few controls interspersed to provide values. My problem is I get mutiple pages of detail when more than one addressee is in the subform. The first page is correct. (e.g. if there are three names in the subform, all three names print follo...

how can I move cells after data input without using enter or tab
I would like to set up a worksheet that allows 1 digit numerical data to be entered into a cell and then move onto another cell automatically without having to use the "Enter" or "Tab" or "arrow" keys Mull Cannot be done. How would Excel know that you had finished typing if you didn't indicate in some fashion? Code cannot run when you are in "Edit" mode, which is the mode you are in when entering something in a cell. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:11:03 -0800, "mull" <mull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I...

Multiple analog inputs selection in a video decoder
Hi, I'm developing a camera driver iMX51 platform.A video decoder is interfaced to the camera sensor input of iMX51 processor and is controlled using camera driver.Video decoder has 4 analog inputs.How should I select the 4 channels?In Camera MDD, I have seen IOCTL_CS_PROPERTY.Is it possible to select the channels using IOCTL_CS_PROPERTY or we have to write new IOCTL?Please help me.. Regards, Twinkle you can implement the channel switching in the IOCTL_CS_PROPERTY,but try to implement in the PDD layer function HandleAdapterCustomProperties() instead of implementing in...

How do I set up restrictions in my documents?
A restriction in my documents will be of a great help. For example, all numbers in column D should be <10. This will surely help drastically in my employees Data Entry work and also save time and effort. Thanks. Try Data > Validation Assume the restriction is to apply to data entry in col A Select col A Click Data > Validation Under Allow, choose Custom Put in "Formula:" box: =A1<10 Click OK Test it out .. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "KANGYUES." wrote: > A restriction in my documents will be of a great help. F...

Excel interprets date input as non-US
When I enter November 1, 2008 as 11/1/08, it is interpreted as January 11, 2008. This started happening recently, probably after I unwisely downloaded the latest MS updates (I'll never do that again). What's the deal? My preferences are all for US, so what's the problem? Excel interprets dates based on the regional date settings of your operating system. Check your systems regional date settings. As far as updates, you should install updates.....just don't do it immediately after they're released. I wait a few weeks. This way, if an update is released with a ma...

Help with Input Mask
Hello, I'm a complete newbie trying to design a relatively simple data base for organizing choir music. I need to store arranger and composer names and be able to search for them. I will not need to track or display first and last names separately, so I would rather not use separate fields. But I need to have the data input consistently. Is there a way to create an input mask or validation rule to insure "Last name, First Name" format? Thank you, -- Leslie On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:12:00 -0700, leslie1165 wrote: > Hello, > > I'm a complete newbie trying t...

restricting access to sp_table_statistics2_rowset
Greets, A company I work for has granted ODBC access to some of their clients (a risky proposition, I totally agree.) I have been tasked with analyzing the load these clients incur, and in the course of that, I noticed some calls to sp_table_statistics2_rowset were taking upwards of 100 seconds to return! That seems excessive so I'm considering restricting permissions -- does anyone know what [if anything] that will break? I also noticed the application was "Microsoft SQL Server", does that mean these calls have something to do with linked servers? I did sea...

How to get input events from desktop?
I am developing an application which requires to record users interaction with other display windows or desktop. I have no requirements of having actual display window, since this is just recording. Is there a way of doing that through MFC, or a dll that I can use? Look into SetWindowHookEx. joe On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:57:49 -0800, Farhad <fchoupani@comcast.net> wrote: >I am developing an application which requires to record users >interaction with other display windows or desktop. I have no >requirements of having actual display window, since this is just >...

Restricted Content on premium channels
hi, i am running windows media center on windows vista hooked up to a scientific atlanta cable box. most of the times i try, i am unable to watch content on the premium channels, or shows recorded to the DVR from the premium channels. i get the error: "Restricted Content - Restrictions set by the broadcaster or the originator of the content prohibit playback of this program on this computer." non-premium cable channels work fine. Upgrading the DRM security components at http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp?force=1 didnt work resetting the drm...

Displaying all Hours between user input start and end times
hi, I need to display all the hours between what my users enter as there start and end times. Example Start: 7/13/2007 5pm End: 7/14/2007 3am I want to see 5pm, 6pm...1am, 2am, 3am in a column. Is this possible? I am familur with VBA but am stuck here. -- Thanks Vance ...

Apply delivery restriction in E2K in Bulk
How do I apply delivery restriction in bulk on users in E2K, would appreciate help if some script can be referenced. "amiableraj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I apply delivery restriction in bulk on users in E2K, would appreciate help if some script can be referenced. what is it you're trying to do? this can be pretty simple if all you want to do is, say, limit the size of the messages sent to a value like '5120'. use ldifde to export the users, then use ms word to edit the file in bulk. save the file as txt and use ldifde to import the...

Capture Text Input
Hello everyone, As my last post was a little too wordy, I thought I would simplify the question. How can I capture new text that a user is typing into a text box? Not the old text plus the new text, just the new text. I hope this is clearer? I have left my previous explaination below if it helps explain my objective. Regards Kev I am building a patient Handover system. When a doctor ends his duty he hands over relevant patient information to the on call doctor. My system retrieves the relevant data out of the hospital's Clinical information system and presents it in a more efficient ...

Input Box
Hello, all: I'm creating an Input Dialog Box -- very similar to the MessageBox function or VB's Input Box. I have added a resource and associated a class to the dialog. So I have the following... CInputBox : public CDialog I have three items in the dialog: a static box, an edit control, and a button. The static box will display a message; for example, it might ask "How many items are you selecting?" The edit control allows the user to enter the input. The button just the standard OK button. I have added a function to the box void GetInput(CString szTextCaption, CS...

Using Input Form
I am using an Input Form to create a large number of similar records. Even though each key field is unique, the bulk of the fields in each database record are duplicate. Is there a simple way to "duplicate the previous record" using an Input Form in Access? I hope this makes sense. George L. Are you using a custom Add Record command button, or Access' native New Record buutton? -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com A simple solution might be to assign the default valu...

restrict email
is there anyway to restrict incoming email to only those in an adress book? rneaul@sbcglobal.net wrote: > is there anyway to restrict incoming email to only those in an adress book? Create a rule that deletes all incoming e-mails EXCEPT if the sender is in your address book. Include the stop-clause in this rule. This works if you have only 1 address book (or contact-type folder). If you have multiple address books, and because you can only specify one address book per rule, you would define rules that basically do nothing on the e-mail itself (i.e., no moves or deletes) but has the...

User input a filename
I'm trying to a create a very simple MFC dialog box in Visual C++ 6.0. I want to the user to input a file name, but I cannot figure out how to go about doing that. I don't want them to write out the entire path in a Edit Box, rather some sort of explorer that lets them navigate to the file they want. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shamit You can use the CFileDialog common control. CFileDialog Dlg(true,...); if (Dlg.DoModal() == IDOK) { //they selected a file. } AliR. <shamit1982@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1181232185.395394.14630@q69g2000hsb.go...

Restrict Incoming/Outgoing Internet Mail
We are running W3K3 Domain w/ Exchange 2003 - I need to create a network account for an outside contractor who will be here for upwards of 6 months. She needs to be able to book meetings etc with Internal Stafff - therefore ability to view FREE/BUSY. I have looked at 'Publishing FREE/BUSY to an FTP site.' - however that seems like a bit of work for the end user... so I am going to create the contractor a network account complete with mailbox HOWEVER - I want to limit the account to only be able to send messages to internal staff as well only receive mail from internal staff. I k...

adding row headings to multiple pages
I'm trying to add row headings to the page set up to add multiple pages. I need to print rows 1, 2 and 3. What format do I use? You can repeat rows on top in the File->Page setup->Sheet tab. In the "Rows to repeat at top" enter $1:$3, and those rows will show in all the printed pages. Hope this helps, Miguel. "connie" wrote: > I'm trying to add row headings to the page set up to add multiple pages. I > need to print rows 1, 2 and 3. What format do I use? ...

MTA Message Size Restrictions do not block large messages
Hello, We have our MTA size limit set to 4000k, although, users are still able to send these GIANT attachments all over the place. This is Exchange5.5 on a 2k server. Anyone? Are these users on the same server? Unless you apply a reg tweak that forces all mail through the MTA, any mail sent from one user to another on the same server will not be subject to MTA size restrictions. On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:16:40 -0700, "Sal Bugs" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >We have our MTA size limit set to 4000k, although, users >are still able to se...