Restricting Input

Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell
restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or
has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists,
I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank.

Thanks in advance.

Randy,

0
rvieira (12)
1/24/2005 9:35:33 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
then input your restriction.

Randy Vieira wrote:
> Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell
> restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or
> has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists,
> I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Randy,

0
itguru (22)
1/24/2005 9:52:06 PM
Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You know,
like "" means blank..

Any help?

Randy,

"NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
> you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
> then input your restriction.
>
> Randy Vieira wrote:
>> Ok, I'm on a roll here.  Could someone please tell me how to set up a
>> cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is
>> "empty" or has a certain value?  Kind of like an IF function, only when
>> "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must
>> leave it blank.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Randy,

0
rvieira (12)
1/24/2005 9:58:42 PM
How about:
Allow:  Custom
formula is:  =A1=""

(to allow entry only when A1 is "".)

Or
formula is:  =A1<>""
if A1 has to have something in it first.

====
Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something in B1
and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't get
validated again.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Randy,

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> How about:
> Allow:  Custom
> formula is:  =A1=""
>
> (to allow entry only when A1 is "".)
>
> Or
> formula is:  =A1<>""
> if A1 has to have something in it first.
>
> ====
> Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something
> in B1
> and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't
> get
> validated again.
>

> Randy Vieira wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You know,
>> like "" means blank..
>>
>> Any help?
>>
>> Randy,
>>
>> "NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
>> > you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation,
>> > then input your restriction.

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
rvieira (12)
1/25/2005 1:22:38 PM
Hi Randy

A spreadsheet is a very liberal thing, so they're not much good for forcing
or restricting user inputs. I think you would be better off with a
userform -not really knowing what you're building, just an impression.

Best wishes Harald

"Randy Vieira" <rvieira@kirkblum.com> skrev i melding
> I'll give that a shot then, thank you.  Too bad it isn't retro-active, but
> guess some accountability must be passed on to the user input.
>
> Randy,
>

> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > How about:
> > Allow:  Custom
> > formula is:  =A1=""
> >
> > (to allow entry only when A1 is "".)
> >
> > Or
> > formula is:  =A1<>""
> > if A1 has to have something in it first.
> >
> > ====
> > Remember that this stuff isn't retroactive.  If your user puts something
> > in B1
> > and later enters something in A1 (or cleans up A1), the B1 value doesn't
> > get
> > validated again.
> >

> > Randy Vieira wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, I thought so, but I don't know how to specify "any value".  You
know,
> >> like "" means blank..
> >>
> >> Any help?
> >>
> >> Randy,
> >>
> >> "NewsMan" <itguru@telus.net> wrote in message
data-validation,

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
innocent (844)

Using Form to input multiple field to table at once
In this simplified exampe, I have 2 tables Table#1: Students with field <Name> Table#2: Attendance with fields <Date> , <Name> and <Present/Absent> which is a checkbox to be checked if present. I would like to make a Form which generates a tabular list of all student pulled from the "Students" table so that I can then click the check box next to each students name that is present on a given day. I would also like one input field on the form to input the date only once Then, I would like to be able to click a button to have form update m...

Restricting Input
Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell restriction that will only allow data input if another cell is "empty" or has a certain value? Kind of like an IF function, only when "true" exists, I can input any value, and when "false" exists, I must leave it blank. Thanks in advance. Randy, you can accomplish this using data validation. Select: data-validation, then input your restriction. Randy Vieira wrote: > Ok, I'm on a roll here. Could someone please tell me how to set up a cell > restriction that will ...

Restrict calendar?
We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our employers are holding off on the purchase due to the fact that there is no way to restrict certain users from even being able to see "Free/Busy" on their calendars. They want it so that a whole Active Directory OU can be set to not have any calendar access to another OU's calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible? This is huge for us so a great big Thank You in advance to those who might have suggestion. sgsundqu wrote: > We are currently looking at moving to Exchange 2003 this year. Our > employe...

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most of our customers do no wish to load all products to MS CRM. Therefore the system restriction to use price lists is too inflexible. In case of opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level. ...

Restrictions
All of a sudden I am no longer able to click on hyperlinks embedded within email and get an error message "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTION IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR." I haven't knowingly changed anything but some other program may have. How do I get back to normal? See if the articles at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D310049 and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307818 help with this.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrator...

Restrict DB Access
Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a single SQL Database/Server when they login to GP? Thanks It's unclear exactly what you want to do. In GP, you can restrict access by user to the company databases via the User Access window. When you set up the ODBC DSN, you are determing which database server the user can access through GP. Additionally, if you happen to have multiple servers, the best way to handle it is to have different user accounts. -- Charles Allen, MVP "JDR" wrote: > Is there a way in GP7.5 to restrict a user to only see a si...

Can the content control input box be grey like the old one?
I am looking to get the best of both worlds: From the new content control tools, I like: - use "group" instead of "protect" which makes things easier on me and my users - can use rich text to give my users more flexibility From the old forms, I like: - have the fillable areas greyed out which allows any areas that are left blank to not show up when the form is printed. With the content control, there is always the "click here to enter text" which I don't want. Anyway to have the best of both worlds? Thanks, Ryan On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 0...

Restricting no. of recipients
Hello, We are using Exchange 5.5 server now and for some reason, we need to restrict the number of recipients that an user can send at once. I tried to find at most of configuration dialogs, but could not find it. Is it possible to enable this function in Exchange 5.5? Or is there a 3rd party tool regarding this? Appreciate it if you can find it or help me. Thanks. Richard You can set this, but it is for the maximum number of recipients in the message before distribution list expansion, so a distribution list counts as one recipient. It is much more accurate in Exchange 2000/2003....

Listing consecutive days without inputting each one individually
I am creating a chart with the days of the month. I wish I didn't have to meticulously enter each date individually. Isn't there a fill function that would make this task a snap? Enter three consecutive dates in adjacent cells. Select the three cells. There is a darker square in the lower RH corner. Click on that and pull down as far as necessary. "jcrouse" <jcrouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5C7F07-A325-4318-983E-A5D1C3889C8E@microsoft.com... > I am creating a chart with the days of the month. I wish I didn't have to > metic...

restrict to export records to Excel and restrict to print
Hi, It is a major requirement for us to restrict some users to export Microsoft CRM records to Excel file and to restrict them to print as stated in our implementation policies. Is there a possible workaround for this restriction? Would greatly appreciate for your fedback. Lot of thanks in advance. In v1.2 there is no easy way to do this. v3.0 should enable this via security roles. In thoery, you could do something with javascript that conditionally removed the link, but not sure how reliable it would be as it would need to do a server-based call to determine the security. Matt Parks...

input problem
I am running Chinese Access 2002 and found that whenever I tried to input characters in form, query, table and etc..., the Chinese input is selected instead of English. In the same machine, I got English input defaulted in word and excel, no problem. The language in control panel is selected as English as well. Now everytime I need to press ctrl + shift to turn to English input. I think there is an option where I can accomplish this. Can anyone please help? Thanks. Can anyone please help? Thanks. "abc" <abc@d.com> wrote in message news:ugYT4i5iHHA.4188@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx....

restricting the drop lines to only a single series
I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. Is there a way to see only what I want, i.e. the drop lines for a selected series only? z.entropic Hi Z, > I have mutiple-series charts, but would like restric the drop lines only to > only one (ususlly the first) plotted data series. However, the drop line > option seems to apply to ALL data series and creates an unreadable mess. > > Is there a way...

restricted users
Is there any way to run pub 2002 xp as a restricted user? I want users on a certain machine to be able to user publisher but not install programs or make any system changes, as soon as they lose domain admin though, it barfs pretty hard. When you click on the icon it says it's running the installer package, then it throws a 1722 error saying there is a problem with the package and setup did not finish. The program at this point acually loads, but as soon as I try to do something it throws an error saying I have low memory or the disk is full and it crashes. Soon as I give domain...

Using Autotext in an input form?
I have an app where the users are entering large amounts of text in a multi-line text box. It would be very helpful if they could use Autocorrect (or something like it) to type in abbreviations and have them automatically expand into the text. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? TIA If the input has such consistency of input that you were considering autocorrect entries, then surely it would be simpler to select the content from a dropdown field? See http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<...

Messaging size restriction bizzare
Hi, I am current using Trend Mico ScanMessage gateway and Exchange 2003. Incoming is going through ScanMessage gateway first and relay to Exchange 2003. I setup "sending message size" as 3900 KB in Global setting and 50000KB as receiving message size. I test it with internal mail and everything is fine accoring sending/receiving size restriction until external email such yahoo. For example, (External email) if I send 3 MB attachment which is fine and but not everything above 3900 KB (bounce: limit or email box is full). It seems Exchange is using sending message size (ov...

Restricted IPs still connecting despite Connection Restrictions
I have gone to System Manager -> Servers -> ServerName -> Protocols -> SMTP -> Default SMTP and setup the following under Access -> Connection Control on my Exchange 2003 SP1 Server. Select which computer's may access this virtual server: Only the listed computers... 1.2.3.0 (255.255.255.0) - Internal IPs AntiSPAM server IP 1 AntiSPAM server IP 2 AntiSPAM server IP 3 AntiSPAM server IP 4 AntiSPAM server IP 5 AntiSPAM server IP 6 AntiSPAM server IP 7 Still I am seeing connections from serveral other servers on the list. I have even accessed my server remotely via te...

Can I restrict the undo function to the current sheet only?
In Word, the undo function applies to the active document only. In Excel, it not only switches sheets, but workbooks as well. Is there a way to restrict the undo function to the active sheet only? I guess I would then want Excel to maintain a separate undo stack for each sheet. At the very least, can I get this at the workbook level? Not with anything built into excel. On 09/23/2010 00:27, Prof Wonmug wrote: > In Word, the undo function applies to the active document only. > > In Excel, it not only switches sheets, but workbooks as well. > > Is there a way to restrict the ...

Inputting Of Data
I have a cell, Q46 on a worksheet where I enter values manually. The cell is linked to some code, which basically tells the code how often to refresh (in seconds). Could I use a combo box or drop down list for this? The values that I enter are:- 1.00 2.00 3.00 4.00 5.00 10.00 15.00 30.00 What's the best way to do this? Put these values in a range such as Z1:Z8 Click Q46 and use Data | data Validation; specify List and the range Z1:Z8 best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Saxman" <john.h.williamsremovethis@btinternet.com&g...

Two-Input table
See table below Currency rates A B C D and so on Allowence $AU $2500 Exchange rate 75% Converted rate $1875 $1875 1000 2000 50% 55% ...

How to use two parameters in input of popup Variables
HI All Gary's Student kindly made some to code to allow input of variables via popup : Dim colstring As String Dim findit As Double, replacewith As Double colstring = Application.InputBox("Select Column ....", "Stage 1 of 3", Type:=2) findit = Application.InputBox("Column Selected : " & colstring & vbCr & vbCr & "Select Value To Replace?", "Stage 2 of 3", Type:=1) replacewith = Application.InputBox("Column Selected : " & colstring & vbCr & vbCr & "Value Selected : " &am...

data input into cell a1 drives c1 data gathered from a list
I input bills into an excel spreadsheet I would like to have to info I input into cell a1 automatically populate data in cell c1- an example of what i am trying to say: Right now: cell a1= telephone bill cell b1 = description (which varies so I do not have a drop down list attached to it) cell c1= cost center numbers pulled from a drop down list what i would like to do is type into cell 1 'telephone bill' and cell c1 to autopopluate with 1500- telephone equipment this, of course, would not work for all the entries but the monthly or reoccuring bills it sure would be nice I cann...

input many zeros problem...
Hi Everyone, My boss told me that he is a lazy guy. example: cell A1 input value: 500,000,000 He found too many zeros should be input and he try to minizes the input with 500,000k. However, I found it cannot do calculation of this input. Can some body help me? The objective is minize the input of zeros and it still can using for calculation. Best Regards, William Chan Use two cells: In A1 enter 500000 and in B1 enter=A1*100 -- Gary's Student "William Chan" wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > My boss told me that he is a lazy guy. > example: cell A1 > input...

restrict users from a fake ids
hi , i have exchange server 2003(sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i am getting a problem is that my clients are mailing through fake ids from my domain , my domain is "muet.edu.pk" but the users are able to mail as a hotmail id , how can i restrict them to mail from their own id , not from the hotmail or yahoo ids which is fake . thanks in advance regards ALI. On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:54:16 -0700, mohammad ali <mohammadali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hi , > > i have exchange server 2003(sp1) with windows server 2003(sp1) i am getting >a problem is...

DL Restriction
I've Exchnage 2003 as my Mail Server and we have created DL's for executives and managers.Now wht is happening is any one can send mail on any DL although we have restricted to receive mails from INDIA Team which has alla the Dl's.Can we restrict executives DL not able to send mails to all the DL's.... ...

Importing external data with cell value as input parameter
Hi , I need a query database with excel value say as A1 as input parameter and return the query value in cell B1.Tried with Data-->Connections.The connection DB is oracle and the excel verion is 2007.How can i pass the cell value to SQL statement? Thanks, PADS ...