Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change

Good morning,

I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a
neighboring page.  Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of
the old data.  When I do this the report's left most column field names all
change from FieldName to FieldName2.  When I look in the drop down box for
that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data.
 I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2
to FieldName"space""space".  I can't change to just FieldName because that is
already in use.  My fear is that next month when I do this again it will
again dup the field name and I'll have to put in "space""space""space" etc.

Any idea why it does this?  I've tried:

* deleting the data then pasting the new data
* deleting the rows then pasting the new data
* leaving the column headings in place and pasting only data
* pasting everything including column headings

The new data is slightly larger than the old.  I have 2 versions of the
report.  One pulls from a static page.  For the new data after I paste I have
to go into the wizard and go "back" so as to increase the range of the data.
My other version of the report uses a dynamically calculated Named Range, so
all I have to do is paste and I'm good.

Thanks for any ideas.

Russ
0
xrbbaker (61)
4/5/2007 1:08:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sounds like you still have the original 'FieldName' in the data that
the report relates to - can you make sure it isn't included and only
the data for the new month is?  ie when you 'go back' to change the
range the report points at make sure the range only includes the new
and not the old?

On Apr 5, 2:08 pm, xrbbaker <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a
> neighboring page.  Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of
> the old data.  When I do this the report's left most column field names all
> change from FieldName to FieldName2.  When I look in the drop down box for
> that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data.
>  I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2
> to FieldName"space""space".  I can't change to just FieldName because that is
> already in use.  My fear is that next month when I do this again it will
> again dup the field name and I'll have to put in "space""space""space" etc.
>
> Any idea why it does this?  I've tried:
>
> * deleting the data then pasting the new data
> * deleting the rows then pasting the new data
> * leaving the column headings in place and pasting only data
> * pasting everything including column headings
>
> The new data is slightly larger than the old.  I have 2 versions of the
> report.  One pulls from a static page.  For the new data after I paste I have
> to go into the wizard and go "back" so as to increase the range of the data.
> My other version of the report uses a dynamically calculated Named Range, so
> all I have to do is paste and I'm good.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Russ

CloudDoctor,
Can't do.  My original data range is A1:L209.  The new data is A1:L1339.
The new data is larger than the previous and is totally new data so I can
just tack in on the end.  I'm stumped.

"CloudDoctor" wrote:

> Sounds like you still have the original 'FieldName' in the data that
> the report relates to - can you make sure it isn't included and only
> the data for the new month is?  ie when you 'go back' to change the
> range the report points at make sure the range only includes the new
> and not the old?
>

> On Apr 5, 2:08 pm, xrbbaker <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a
> > neighboring page.  Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of
> > the old data.  When I do this the report's left most column field names all
> > change from FieldName to FieldName2.  When I look in the drop down box for
> > that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data.
> >  I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2
> > to FieldName"space""space".  I can't change to just FieldName because that is
> > already in use.  My fear is that next month when I do this again it will
> > again dup the field name and I'll have to put in "space""space""space" etc.
> >
> > Any idea why it does this?  I've tried:
> >
> > * deleting the data then pasting the new data
> > * deleting the rows then pasting the new data
> > * leaving the column headings in place and pasting only data
> > * pasting everything including column headings
> >
> > The new data is slightly larger than the old.  I have 2 versions of the
> > report.  One pulls from a static page.  For the new data after I paste I have
> > to go into the wizard and go "back" so as to increase the range of the data.
> > My other version of the report uses a dynamically calculated Named Range, so
> > all I have to do is paste and I'm good.
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas.
> >
> > Russ

0
xrbbaker (61)
4/5/2007 4:40:01 PM
I see from contextures.com the below hint.  I guess that is my problem.
Excel simply adds the new data on top of the old data cache.  Since the
column headings are the same as the old column headings it appends a "2" to
the end of it to differentiate.  To me that makes the pivot table about
worthless.  Is my understanding correct here?  Also, I tried the instructions
for the manual clear of old items and it didn't work. - Russ

Old Items Remain in Pivot Field Dropdowns

The data in the pivot table source may change, and items that were
previously in the source are no longer included. For example, some sales reps
may leave the company, and the names of their replacements appear in the
source table.

Even after you refresh the pivot table, the names of the old sales reps will
appear, along with the new names. In the list at right, Cartier has replace
Gill, but Gill still appears in the list.

Manually Clear Old Items

To manually clear the old items from the list:

Drag the pivot field out of the pivot table.
On the Pivot toolbar, click the Refresh button
Drag the pivot field back to the pivot table

******************

"CloudDoctor" wrote:

> Sounds like you still have the original 'FieldName' in the data that
> the report relates to - can you make sure it isn't included and only
> the data for the new month is?  ie when you 'go back' to change the
> range the report points at make sure the range only includes the new
> and not the old?
>

> On Apr 5, 2:08 pm, xrbbaker <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a
> > neighboring page.  Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of
> > the old data.  When I do this the report's left most column field names all
> > change from FieldName to FieldName2.  When I look in the drop down box for
> > that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data.
> >  I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2
> > to FieldName"space""space".  I can't change to just FieldName because that is
> > already in use.  My fear is that next month when I do this again it will
> > again dup the field name and I'll have to put in "space""space""space" etc.
> >
> > Any idea why it does this?  I've tried:
> >
> > * deleting the data then pasting the new data
> > * deleting the rows then pasting the new data
> > * leaving the column headings in place and pasting only data
> > * pasting everything including column headings
> >
> > The new data is slightly larger than the old.  I have 2 versions of the
> > report.  One pulls from a static page.  For the new data after I paste I have
> > to go into the wizard and go "back" so as to increase the range of the data.
> > My other version of the report uses a dynamically calculated Named Range, so
> > all I have to do is paste and I'm good.
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas.
> >
> > Russ

0
xrbbaker (61)
4/5/2007 5:04:01 PM
Maybe you're getting some false groupings.
Select one of Fields that ends with a 2
On the PivotTable toolbar, choose
    PivotTable>Grouping and Selection>Ungroup

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/5/2007 8:22:51 PM
Hi Debra,

That's not it.  I now know what the issue is, but still not how to correct.
Aditionally, I should have done a better job of more accurately describing
the problem as Value duplication, not Field duplication...

Originally this PT report Field had values of ValueAA, ValueBB, ValueCC.
When she saw the report the user didn't like the value labels and asked if
they could be changed.  I found out that all one had to do was go into the PT
Report and edit the value and PT changed the values to ValueXX, ValueYY,
ValueZZ across the board.  Cool!  This month the lady who produces in
Business Objects the data for me to use as input also modified the Field to
use ValueXX, YY, ZZ.  Thus the PT somehow sees these new values coming in as
conflicts??? with the modified values that I overlayed and it screws things
up.  (Technical term.)

Knowing this, it would seem plausible that all I would have to do is what I
just tried:

*  remove the dup field column from the report
*  add the new data to the data page
*  hit Refresh (without the field on the report)
* add the field back on to the report

In this way I would think it would clear out the old "overlay" values that I
had input before.  It does not.  It still keeps them internally somewhere and
chokes on the new data.  Maybe with my new more accurate description what I
need to do to fix is more obvious???  He hopes....

Thanks

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Maybe you're getting some false groupings.
> Select one of Fields that ends with a 2
> On the PivotTable toolbar, choose
>     PivotTable>Grouping and Selection>Ungroup
>
> xrbbaker wrote:
> > I see from contextures.com the below hint.  I guess that is my problem.
> > Excel simply adds the new data on top of the old data cache.  Since the
> > column headings are the same as the old column headings it appends a "2" to
> > the end of it to differentiate.  To me that makes the pivot table about
> > worthless.  Is my understanding correct here?  Also, I tried the instructions
> > for the manual clear of old items and it didn't work. - Russ
> >
> > Old Items Remain in Pivot Field Dropdowns
> >
> > The data in the pivot table source may change, and items that were
> > previously in the source are no longer included. For example, some sales reps
> > may leave the company, and the names of their replacements appear in the
> > source table.
> >
> > Even after you refresh the pivot table, the names of the old sales reps will
> > appear, along with the new names. In the list at right, Cartier has replace
> > Gill, but Gill still appears in the list.
> >

> > Manually Clear Old Items
> >
> > To manually clear the old items from the list:
> >
> > Drag the pivot field out of the pivot table.
> > On the Pivot toolbar, click the Refresh button
> > Drag the pivot field back to the pivot table
> >
> > ******************
> >
> > "CloudDoctor" wrote:
> >

> >>Sounds like you still have the original 'FieldName' in the data that
> >>the report relates to - can you make sure it isn't included and only
> >>the data for the new month is?  ie when you 'go back' to change the
> >>range the report points at make sure the range only includes the new
> >>and not the old?

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Contextures

xrbbaker (61)
4/6/2007 12:46:01 PM
Hi

Did you try Debra's code for removing old items?
This invariably works for me when I have old items in the list.

Regards

Roger Govier

"xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
>> > Old Items Remain in Pivot Field Dropdowns
>> >
>> > The data in the pivot table source may change, and items that were
>> > previously in the source are no longer included. For example, some
>> > sales reps
>> > may leave the company, and the names of their replacements appear
>> > in the
>> > source table.
>> >
>> > Even after you refresh the pivot table, the names of the old sales
>> > reps will
>> > appear, along with the new names. In the list at right, Cartier has
>> > replace
>> > Gill, but Gill still appears in the list.
>> >

>> > Manually Clear Old Items
>> >
>> > To manually clear the old items from the list:
>> >
>> > Drag the pivot field out of the pivot table.
>> > On the Pivot toolbar, click the Refresh button
>> > Drag the pivot field back to the pivot table

roger5293 (1125)
4/6/2007 2:02:12 PM
Roger,

That did the trick.  I was trying to avoid using code since I'm a contractor
and will leave here some day leaving this to folks who won't attempt any
code.  However, since it seems this is more like a one time clean up it
shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for the advise.

Thank you Debra for the corrective code.

Regards

"Roger Govier" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Did you try Debra's code for removing old items?
> This invariably works for me when I have old items in the list.
> http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>

> "xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Debra,
> >
> > That's not it.  I now know what the issue is, but still not how to
> > correct.
> > Aditionally, I should have done a better job of more accurately
> > describing
> > the problem as Value duplication, not Field duplication...
> >
> > Originally this PT report Field had values of ValueAA, ValueBB,
> > ValueCC.
> > When she saw the report the user didn't like the value labels and
> > asked if
> > they could be changed.  I found out that all one had to do was go into
> > the PT
> > Report and edit the value and PT changed the values to ValueXX,
> > ValueYY,
> > ValueZZ across the board.  Cool!  This month the lady who produces in
> > Business Objects the data for me to use as input also modified the
> > Field to
> > use ValueXX, YY, ZZ.  Thus the PT somehow sees these new values coming
> > in as
> > conflicts??? with the modified values that I overlayed and it screws
> > things
> > up.  (Technical term.)
> >
> > Knowing this, it would seem plausible that all I would have to do is
> > what I
> > just tried:
> >
> > *  remove the dup field column from the report
> > *  add the new data to the data page
> > *  hit Refresh (without the field on the report)
> > * add the field back on to the report
> >
> > In this way I would think it would clear out the old "overlay" values
> > that I
> > had input before.  It does not.  It still keeps them internally
> > somewhere and
> > chokes on the new data.  Maybe with my new more accurate description
> > what I
> > need to do to fix is more obvious???  He hopes....
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe you're getting some false groupings.
> >> Select one of Fields that ends with a 2
> >> On the PivotTable toolbar, choose
> >>     PivotTable>Grouping and Selection>Ungroup

> >> --
> >> Debra Dalgleish
> >> Contextures
> >> http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
xrbbaker (61)
4/6/2007 2:26:00 PM
On Apr 6, 7:26 am, xrbbaker <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Roger,
>
> That did the trick.  I was trying to avoid using code since I'm a contractor
> and will leave here some day leaving this to folks who won't attempt any
> code.  However, since it seems this is more like a one time clean up it
> shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for the advise.
>
> Thank you Debra for the corrective code.
>
> Regards
>

> "Roger Govier" wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > Did you try Debra's code for removing old items?
> > This invariably works for me when I have old items in the list.
> >http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html
>
> > --
> > Regards
>
> > Roger Govier
>
> > "xrbbaker" <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Debra,
>
> > > That's not it.  I now know what the issue is, but still not how to
> > > correct.
> > > Aditionally, I should have done a better job of more accurately
> > > describing
> > > the problem as Value duplication, not Field duplication...
>
> > > Originally this PT report Field had values of ValueAA, ValueBB,
> > > ValueCC.
> > > When she saw the report the user didn't like the value labels and
> > > asked if
> > > they could be changed.  I found out that all one had to do was go into
> > > the PT
> > > Report and edit the value and PT changed the values to ValueXX,
> > > ValueYY,
> > > ValueZZ across the board.  Cool!  This month the lady who produces in
> > > Business Objects the data for me to use as input also modified the
> > > Field to
> > > use ValueXX, YY, ZZ.  Thus the PT somehow sees these new values coming
> > > in as
> > > conflicts??? with the modified values that I overlayed and it screws
> > > things
> > > up.  (Technical term.)
>
> > > Knowing this, it would seem plausible that all I would have to do is
> > > what I
> > > just tried:
>
> > > *  remove the dup field column from the report
> > > *  add the new data to the data page
> > > *  hit Refresh (without the field on the report)
> > > * add the field back on to the report
>
> > > In this way I would think it would clear out the old "overlay" values
> > > that I
> > > had input before.  It does not.  It still keeps them internally
> > > somewhere and
> > > chokes on the new data.  Maybe with my new more accurate description
> > > what I
> > > need to do to fix is more obvious???  He hopes....
>
> > > Thanks

Hi,

Using code to clear the unwanted items is not necessary if you are
using Excel 2002 or later.  Simply drag the offending field of the
pivot table, click Refresh, and drag the field back on to the table.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire
Microsoft Excel MVP

Hi Shane

> Using code to clear the unwanted items is not necessary if you are
> using Excel 2002 or later.  Simply drag the offending field of the
> pivot table, click Refresh, and drag the field back on to the table.

I am aware of this, and that is what I try first.
There are some occasions where this does not work, however, as the OP
had already tried and noted it didn't work.

The code solution always does achieve the desired outcome.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

<shanedevenshire@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Apr 6, 7:26 am, xrbbaker <xrbba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> Roger,
>>
>> That did the trick.  I was trying to avoid using code since I'm a
>> contractor
>> and will leave here some day leaving this to folks who won't attempt
>> any
>> code.  However, since it seems this is more like a one time clean up
>> it
>> shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for the advise.
>>
>> Thank you Debra for the corrective code.
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> "Roger Govier" wrote:
>> > Hi
>>
>> > Did you try Debra's code for removing old items?
>> > This invariably works for me when I have old items in the list.
>> >http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html
>>
>> > --
>> > Regards
>>
>> > Roger Govier

> Hi,
>

> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
> Microsoft Excel MVP

0
roger5293 (1125)
4/6/2007 4:47:25 PM
If you run the code for 2002:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html#Clear2002

it sets the MissingItemLimit property to zero, so the problem shouldn't
recur. In Excel 2002 and 2003, that setting is only accessible via
programming.

xrbbaker wrote:
> Roger,
>
> That did the trick.  I was trying to avoid using code since I'm a contractor
> and will leave here some day leaving this to folks who won't attempt any
> code.  However, since it seems this is more like a one time clean up it
> shouldn't be a problem.  Thanks for the advise.
>
> Thank you Debra for the corrective code.
>
> Regards
>
> "Roger Govier" wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Did you try Debra's code for removing old items?
>>This invariably works for me when I have old items in the list.
>>http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html
>>
>>--
>>Regards
>>
>>Roger Govier
>>

>>"xrbbaker" <xrbbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi Debra,
>>>
>>>That's not it.  I now know what the issue is, but still not how to
>>>correct.
>>>Aditionally, I should have done a better job of more accurately
>>>describing
>>>the problem as Value duplication, not Field duplication...
>>>
>>>Originally this PT report Field had values of ValueAA, ValueBB,
>>>ValueCC.
>>>When she saw the report the user didn't like the value labels and
>>>asked if
>>>they could be changed.  I found out that all one had to do was go into
>>>the PT
>>>Report and edit the value and PT changed the values to ValueXX,
>>>ValueYY,
>>>ValueZZ across the board.  Cool!  This month the lady who produces in
>>>Business Objects the data for me to use as input also modified the
>>>Field to
>>>use ValueXX, YY, ZZ.  Thus the PT somehow sees these new values coming
>>>in as
>>>conflicts??? with the modified values that I overlayed and it screws
>>>things
>>>up.  (Technical term.)
>>>
>>>Knowing this, it would seem plausible that all I would have to do is
>>>what I
>>>just tried:
>>>
>>>*  remove the dup field column from the report
>>>*  add the new data to the data page
>>>*  hit Refresh (without the field on the report)
>>>* add the field back on to the report
>>>
>>>In this way I would think it would clear out the old "overlay" values
>>>that I
>>>had input before.  It does not.  It still keeps them internally
>>>somewhere and
>>>chokes on the new data.  Maybe with my new more accurate description
>>>what I
>>>need to do to fix is more obvious???  He hopes....
>>>
>>>Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

how to view 2 tables in design view side by side (access 2007)
I used to use access 2003 and was able to show side by side two tables in design view. How is this done in access 2007. Click on the Office Button, at the bottom right click the Access Options, select Current Database, under Applications Options - Data Window Options unselect Display Document Tabs and select Overlapping Windows. You will need to restart Access to take affect. -- Build a little, test a little. "celeste" wrote: > I used to use access 2003 and was able to show side by side two tables in > design view. How is this done in access 2007. ...

selecting data from a database
I'll try my best to explain what i I want to do.... I have a databse that contains a list of times recorded by athletes over various distances. I would like ot be able to run a macro that compiles a report by selecting personal best times by athletes name for the various distances. the database is continually added to, athletes times are constantly updated so refencing specific cells is not feasible. I currently sort the database by name, distance, best time for that distance so I can see an athletes history but need a method to extract the best times for each discipl...

changing fonts on a report
I have text that I added to a report via the label control. I can't seem to change the font on this text. I have tried to highlight it and right click but it doesn't do anything. I do not see a Font option under Format. Where should I be looking? Thanks so much! with the report in Design View; you should be able to right click on the label control and go to 'Properties' - in that list are the font controls -- NTC "Selby" wrote: > I have text that I added to a report via the label control. I can't seem to > change the font on this text. I ha...

Data amalgamation
I have a table of data, including columns for date, a code indicatin data source, and various analysis under headings. As follows: Date Source A B C 1/1/01 X 2 4 8 15/3/01 X 3 5 7 16/6/02 Y 12 1 9 I want a summary table that is driven by a (variable) date range amalgamating data by source and A,B,C. As follows: X Y Z Pre 30/6/01 - A 5 0 0 - B 9 0 0 - C 15 0 0 Post 30/6/01 - A ...

cannot group dates in pivot table
I have imported data form an access database into excel. This data includes dates and events. I have put the dates into the row section of a pivot table and want to group the dates by 10 years. When I right click on the date field and choose group I get the message 'cannot group that selection'. Can anybody tell me where I am going wrong please? I am using Excel and access 2002 ...

Changing ODBC Data Sources
All: I have an Excel 2002 workbook with a lot of sheets. Each of those connect to a table in a specific access 2000 database. I had to recreate the access database due to a hole in the security. I had to create a new workgroup file and a new .mdb. I have used the same name for the .mdb file, but a different one for the ..mdw file (it had a typo in it). Useless to say that now none of the sheets is refreshing the data and to manually change all of them is a mess. Is there any way I could change the reference to this new .mdw and .mdb file in order to avoid doing the queries again one ...

Daylight Savings Time Change
The time on all of our computers automatically changed however the POS still is 1 hour behind. I thought that RMS was suppose to be in sync with the system time in Windows. I have restarted all computers and also changed dates and times in Windows. None of it works the day’s stay correct in RMS and the time is still 1 hour behind current time. I also tried a Windows Daylight savings update that someone has posted. It did not help. Is there a way I can manually change the time in RMS? Thank you, Neil RMS gets it's time from the SQL Server. Whichever system is acting as your SQL s...

newbie Question: Data exchange between Dialog and my own data structure
HI, I'm designing a program which has many CDialog(as docking control bar) and user data structures. I want to do some data exchange on those. For example: //================================================================== class CConfigDlg : public CDialog { .... //many common control such as CEdit... } class CMyData{ .... //many data members... } //================================================================== When I initialize the dialog, or some data hase changed in working thread,I want to update UI in using UpdateData(false); When I made some modification on the UI control...

Dates in Calendar have changed to Spanish
I have a user whose dates in the Outlook Calendar have changed to Spanish. Nothing else, just the dates. And all other Office apps are in English. Very strange. I have never seen this before. Anybody ever seen this before or know how to reset the dates back to English? Besides deleting his profile and recreating it, I know that will probably fix it. DC;112803 Wrote: > I have a user whose dates in the Outlook Calendar have changed to > Spanish. > Nothing else, just the dates. And all other Office apps are in > English. > Very strange. I have never seen...

Export data from tables to Excel
Hi I want help on exporting data from tables to Excel. Im using a form with a command button when button is pressed i want all the data on the form to goto an Excel spreadsheet but i want the spreadsheet to auto save with the primary key as the file name. Thank you Andy Andy, you can use a macro with transfer spreadsheet. In the macro you specify the name for the new file. It is auto saved. Jeanette Cunningham "Andysc" <u41622@uwe> wrote in message news:803b29d5bc08a@uwe... > Hi > I want help on exporting data from tables to Excel. > Im using a form with a comma...

duplicated data
I've a bunch of names and membership code of my fellow home makers...So how do I run a clean up of all the duplicated names? I really don't want to go blurry eyed trying to clean up manually THANX!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Take a look at data>advanced filter, unique records only and copy to another location -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "a_evie" <a_evie.v9on0@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:a_evie.v9on0@...

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

Changing Banks
I've just changed banks and I'm wondering what would be the process for a new account? Should I just close the old and open a new one or amend the old one? Thank you in advance for you help Richard In microsoft.public.money, Richard wrote: >I've just changed banks and I'm wondering what would be >the process for a new account? Should I just close the >old and open a new one or amend the old one? > > You can do either. Normally you would create the new account, transfer the balance from the old account, and close the old account. On Sun, 29 Feb 200...

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

Combining two similar worksheets and showing changes
I thought i posted this question yesterday, obviously i have no idea what im doing, because now i can't find it. But anyway, In excel I have two very similar worksheets that started out as the same worksheet. They were copied by someone and now two users have been making changes to them, and i guess its my job to put them back together, and show the changes that both of the users made. if i just copied one to the other i would have nearly five thousand rows of duplicate data. How can i do this? It seems like it would be so simple, I just don't work with excel that much. th...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

Requesting data from Servers
This problem just started recently. "Requesting Data from Server" Machine running outlook 2000 Are you on an exchange server? "BJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ab001c3f494$88bb4fa0$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > This problem just started recently. "Requesting Data from > Server" Machine running outlook 2000 >-----Original Message----- >Are you on an exchange server? > >"BJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message >news:0ab001c3f494$88bb4fa0$3a01280a@phx.gbl... >> This pr...

retroactive deferral data to GL
Posting a Sales Retroactive Deferral does not populate the same columns in GL as if it were posted from Sales directly. This would be helpful for users and reports to have the data the same, regardless of it was retroactively entered or not. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...

Source Data / Series
I have 8 charts in one of my workbooks in one of my files. Every month, I change the source data (series) to include the most recent month for all of the series within the chart. For example, I change: {from} =Sheet1!$V$18:$V$600 { to } =Sheet1!$V$18:$V$650 Here is the dilemma: WHEN I AM FINISHED CHANGING ALL THE SERIES IN THE CHART, I PRESS 'OKAY'. Instead of my cursor remaining where it was before I edited the chart, i.e. somewhere near the chart, THE CURSOR JUMPS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE WO...

Word Mail Merge with Excel Data--Missing Data
I have created a mail merge document in Word2002, using Excel2002 for m data source. When I merge the document, some of my fields hav incomplete data. The only records affected are those where the dat from the Excel fields is fairly long. Only about 200 characters wil show up on the Word doc. I am not exceeding any limits in my Exce fields. I've tried everything I know to do, but can't get this one t budge. Any suggestions are welcome -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The following posts by Word MVP, Cindy Meister, may help you: http://groups.google.com/grou...

Text Constantly Changes Size in IE8 when Windows Change
In early January, I upgraded my laptop software from Vista SP2 32 bit to Windows 7, 64 bit. When I did this, my IE went from IE7 to IE8. Ever since that upgrade, I have had problems with text size changing. I know how to set text size. I've tried it various ways. I typically and would like to have text size set to medium with zoom set at 125% or 150%. Yet, when I change windows or reboot, the zoom very often resets back to 100%. At first I thought this was a Windows 7 problem. However, last week, I accidentally upgraded IE7 to IE8. on my desktop. That desktop is stil...

how do I print data in a spreadsheet data base to a mailing lable.
I would lik eto take the data from a customer data base in Excell and print each customers information on a mailing lable can this be done? should I use Access? if it can be done please help me. I currently am using Microsoft Office 2000 You could use Word's mail merge feature to create the mailing labels. There's mail merge information on the Word MVP site: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm And David McRitchie has instructions on his web site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm Kevin Jamieson wrote: > I would lik eto ...

User Timezone changes randomly ?
Hello We have Crm4 german / Latest Update Rollup installed (2) We have written a utility to reset all users timezone to our local timezone (GMT+1) Vienna After a week, some (like 3 out of 100) user timezones have been changed to GMT (+0) Reykjavik (and we are absolutely sure that the users did not change them manually) Outlook client is in use (Office 2007); Also Web client is used; Does anyone know this issue? Know a treatment? Or does anyone know what action might implicitly change the users timezone? regards Hello, you can use this RegKey. With this Key the users can't chan...