Replacing Character

I need to replace/delete the " >"  character at the end of a number...
when the data was brought into the excel 1234> was the number that cam

it happens in about 7000 lines

any suggestions on  how to replace it with a blank??

thank

--
tico31p
tico31pl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1040

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Select the range to fix.
Edit|Replace
what:  " >"  (without the quotes
with:  (leave blank) or a spacebar
replace all

--

Dave Peterson
0

Find and replace deleting the rest of the text
I am using Microsoft Publisher for coupons and they are dated and numbered. My problem is that when I use the Find and Replace option to change The month/year, it deletes the rest of the coupon. I have no idea what "protection" was deleted and need to know if there's a remedy to update all the couponsat once instead of having to update each one individually. What version Publisher? What template are you using? Are you using a merge? Can you change the information before you merge without the deletion? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.m...

Replace more characters using replace
Hi I have number of characters in a string, that I like to replace with "nothing". I use a code like this: Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, " ", "") a = Replace(a, "&", "") a = Replace(a, "+", "") MsgBox a End Sub As I have about 15 characters, that all should be replaced with nothing, I am looking ofr another way to it. Something like Sub test() Dim a As String a = "Jan+& Per" a = Replace(a, {" ",...

Creating macro for find and replace
I recorded a macro for find value 0 and replace with nothing. However after I run it on another excel worksheet, there is an error. Run-time error 91: Object variable or with block variable not set. Is there any way to rectify this? Thank you for your help hidaya, It would help if you would post your code. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "hidaya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:225d001c45cca$f74af350$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I recorded a macro for find value 0 and replace with > nothing. However after I run it on another excel > worksheet, there...

Do you want to replace the contents of
When my macro runs, it stops after this procdure and asks "Do you want to replace the contents ofthe destination cells" is there something I can add that will automatically tell it yes? Here is the part of the macro that it stops on. Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("C1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _ TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _ Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=True, OtherChar _ :="/", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1)) Thanks H...

Checking characters , non-printable etc.
I'm copying some data from another spreadsheet that someone else created. It looks fine on the screen, but when I print it or paste it into Outlook, it gets messed up. Specifically, there is one cell which has about 20 lines of text. Some of the lines begin with a bullet character. When it prints some of the bullets are at the beginning of the lines and some show up near the end of the line. Effectively, the format of the text is not what we're trying to achieve. In Word, I can show spaces and paragraph marks. Is there a way to do that in Excel. I could write a for...

How do I recover document replaced by accident?
How do I recover document replaced by accident? If you don't have a backup I'm afraid you are sol. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "fortyfive" <fortyfive@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F78FE34-F135-4FE3-A460-42CE167A9A89@microsoft.com... > How do I recover document replaced by accident? If you have a backup you can start there. If on a network, perhaps your IT people back everything up at intervals? If no backup.......no chance. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:39:03 -0800, fortyfive <fortyfive@discussion...

VBA to find filename and replace
Hi I just found the answer to "Find and Replace in VBA" and tried to adapt it for what I'm doing, but it's more difficult so I need some help please. I have multiple worksheets in an excel 2007 workbook - a monthly report. Within the worksheets I have many cells that link to last months workbooks - (i.e I compare last month figures to this months figures). I need the macro to do the following: - Create an Input box for the user to "enter the name ofTHE OLD months workbook" - Create an Input box for the user to "enter the name of THE NEW mont...

Replacing Character
I need to replace/delete the " >" character at the end of a number... when the data was brought into the excel 1234> was the number that cam it happens in about 7000 lines any suggestions on how to replace it with a blank?? thank -- tico31p ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tico31pl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1040 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46572 Select the range to fix. Edit|Replace what: " >" (without the quotes with: (leav...

How can I combine multiple characters into a single character?
I want to create a new character which is a result of combining multiple charaters together into a single character. I remember there was a way in EXCEL that I can do that. However, I can no longer find that instruction from EXCEL Help anymore. Overstriking characters can be done in MS Word but not in Excel. "Yukon Chin" wrote: > I want to create a new character which is a result of combining multiple > charaters together into a single character. I remember there was a way in > EXCEL that I can do that. However, I can no longer find that instruction from > EXCE...

creating join with only the first 4 characters of a field
Anyone can help in creating this join in designer? the best way to join on just 4 characters is to do it in the SQL view. If you want to do it in the query design view (the grid). You can build a query on the first table with the calculated field Field: JoinThis: Left(SomeField,4) Save that query Now build a query on the second table doing the same thing Now build a query with the two saved queries as the sources and join on the two calculated fields. Alternative Build the query on the two tables and join on the fields that you need. Switch to SQL view and find the clause TableA INN...

Replacing A Column Of Numbers
Hello, New user of Excel 2007, and Excel in general. Should be simple, but I just can't figure out how. Have a column of numbers in Column A In Column B (row 1)I have the formula of what's in A (row 1) multiplied by 1000 And I have dragged this formula downwards, so I now have in each row B what is in the same row in Column A multiplied by 1000. So far, all is fine. Now, I want to replace what's in Column A by the newly generated values in Column B (row by row replacement) I can't just Cut out everything in Column A, as B then disappears, as, I'v...

limitation of characters in query?
I am trying to write a condition in my query using IIf statement and the statement is quite long. But I facing a problems that I am not able to type out all the condition in the query. Is there any limits for character type in the query field? On 9 Apr 2007 19:10:02 -0700, xiaodan86@hotmail.com wrote: >I am trying to write a condition in my query using IIf statement and >the statement is quite long. >But I facing a problems that I am not able to type out all the >condition in the query. >Is there any limits for character type in the query field? Yes: 1024 bytes if I recall a...

Selective Replace in Search and Replace
I need to search and replace in a large document. I don't want to replace the entire search term/expression just part of it. In this case I am searching for a paragraph return followed by any letter (not digit) and then want to change that to paragraph/tab but keep the letter. The search looks like this ^p^$ but naturally if replace is ^p^t I lose the first letter of the text string which I don't want How can I construct either search and replace so that ^p Alexander turns into ^p ^tAlexander and not ^p ^tlexander Thanks in a...

Peculiar search and Replace
I wonder if anyone can help me with the following search and replace. I want to replace the character string CO2 with the equivalent string except with the 2 subscripted. I tried highlighting the 2 in the replacement string and then selecting special formating and choosing a subscripted font, but that just resulted in the entire string being subscripted. I am using Word 2007 Format the string as desired in your document and copy it to the Clipboard, then use ^c (Clipboard contents) as your "Replace with" text. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (W...

Limit Search & Replace's Replace All?
I there a way to limit search and replace's (Ctrl + H) replace all to just a selected cell range, without using VBA? I like replace all because it is fast, but I'm concerned about it changing cells I don't want changed. select the range by highliting it, then find and replace, this should only replace in the range highlite -- davesexce ----------------------------------------------------------------------- davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3170 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56396 ...

NUL characters Outlook 2002
Hi, I am having problems sending some emails from my Outlook 2002. It only happens with some email addresses and while the messages vary somewhat, the message is basically the same: it has to do with NUL characters. Here is one of the messages: Reporting-MTA: dns; mailhub.mail.az Arrival-Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:56:24 +0400 (AZT) Final-Recipient: rfc822; 'recipients email address was here' Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command) This is another message: ...

255 Character limitation in memo field
Any one know of a work around? Publisher 2007, Excel Data Source Exported out of AuctionPay as a *.csv Thanks -- Kathryn Sullivan According to this, only by splitting the fields. Merged fields are truncated to 255 characters in a Publisher 2007 or Publisher 2003 publication http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829172/en-us -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E7F68AF-ADD2-48BF-AC09-DC8D57C2DABF@microsoft.com... > Any one know of a work around? > > Publisher 2007, Excel Data Source Exported out o...

Generate GUID, Find Duplicates, Replace, Rescan
I am trying to find a way to generate GUIDs, which I've found, but I need to ensure they are truly unique. Here is the script that generates the GUIDs Sub GenerateGUID() Dim c As Long, r As Range c = 1 Set r = Range("a2") Do Until r.Cells(c, 1) = "" Dim strGUID As String Set TypeLib = CreateObject("Scriptlet.TypeLib") strGUID = Left(TypeLib.GUID, 38) r.Cells(c, 16).Value = strGUID c = c + 1 Set TypeLib = Nothing Loop End Sub Here is the script that scans for duplicates. I nee...

Replace Certain Spaces
I have a list of names such as Green, Tom White, Bill Du Red, Mary Blue, Peggy Sue I want to loop through the names list and replace the space between double names with a nonbreaking space and leave the space after the ",". TIA Greg One way: =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,", ","##"),CHAR (32),CHAR(160)),"##",", ") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I have a list of names such as > >Green, Tom >White, Bill >Du Red, Mary >Blue, Peggy Sue >I want to loop through the names list and replace the ...

CRichEditCtrl and zero advance characters in fonts
Many Asian languages like Thai and Nepali use fonts where some characters (usually vowels) have zero advance and effectively sit above or below the preceding character. These fonts are usually not Unicode, being crafted for Windows 98 or below, and simply utilise the character space from 0x20 to 0x7f. When such fonts are used in a CRichEditCtrl, or even WordPad, the zero advance is replaced by what looks like the advance for the default character. So, instead of getting a letter with a vowel above it followed by another letter one gets a letter with a vowel above it, a space, then the followi...

Replacing Cell Contents in only one column
Hello, I am trying to replace the contents of a cell in only one column of the spreadhseet Right now I have coded: Cells.Replace What:="1", Replacement:="No Data", LookAt:=xlWhole _ , SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _ ReplaceFormat:=False I only want to search a specific column and replace 1 with No Data Assuming your unstated replacement column is "B", use Columns("B") instead of Cells... Columns("B").Replace What="1", Replacement:="No Data",... etc. -- Rick (MVP - Ex...

find and replace
How can I find and replace character Chr(160) ...? The interface doesn't seem to take the same syntax as Access. thanks Hi have a look at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany shank wrote: > How can I find and replace character Chr(160) ...? > The interface doesn't seem to take the same syntax as Access. > thanks ...

Adding line breaks by using find and replace
I am trying to import data from a text file into an excel file. I want the address to be all in one field rather than each line being in a separate field. How can I replace the code ^l (or any other code) with a line break so that the address appears correctly in the Excel file? Soozie, Are you sure you want the address fields combined? I've had to mess around with more applications where that had been done, in order to separate the address components. Rather than working with codes, you might want to concatenate some cells with a formula: =A2 & " " B2 & " ...

replace *
i was wondering if there's a way to replace the astris character ( * ) in the built in find/replace tool in excel. anyone know how? for some reason excel replaces every full cell instead of just the *'s. thanks PERFECT! thank you so much! you saved me many hours of tedium "CLR" wrote: > Use the tilde character (~) before the star in the Edit > Replace > procedure.......... > > Vaya con Dios, > Chuck, CABGx3 > > > > "J" wrote: > > > i was wondering if there's a way to replace the astris character ( * ) in the &g...

255 characters in cells
Is it possible to increase the number of characters allowed in cells to over 255. If not is there another way to allow large entries into cells in excel help, type specifications. click on workbooks specs. this will tell you all the limits of your version of excel. (it varies from verison to version) in my excel version 2k it says Column width 255 characters Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to increase the number of characters allowed in cells to ov...