replace text in one column

Hi,

In my "Book1.xls" I have a column A that has 24 rows of the following
text in them -

C:\Documents\Symantec

I want to replace this text with D:\Hold\Folders  in all 24 rows of
Column A

I know I need a do loop, but I am not sure how to write the symnatecs.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about just select that column and do Edit|Replace?

If you need a macro, you can record one when you do it manually.

--

Dave Peterson
0

how do I set my tab to stop at column N and rtn to A
I have an invoice created in excel that I would like to be able to tab over no further than the end of the invoice(column N) and then return to column A. Howeer, the tab continues past the column and I don't know how to lock it. TL, You can hide all the columns past column N, and the tab will stop at column. If youve been tabbing, from column A for example, and have arrived in column N, the Enter key will return you to column A, one row down. Otherwise, you can use the Home key to get back to column A, then the Enter key do go down one row. If that isn't good enough, you can...

Center text in text box
I produced our club's latest newsletter on Publisher for the first time and overall was a pretty pain free experience. Very intuitive program. I was unable to find a command to center text within a text box. Is this feature not present in Publisher as it is in word? It was not on the tool bar with the margin justifying commands and my quick search didn't bring it up. I ended up ball parking my lines in the center with tab and space bar. Any suggestions? Right-click the toolbar, tick "formatting". -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/...

Replace word in sentence function...
I have the following function which replaces a word in a sentence with "....." =REPLACE(I2,SEARCH(E2,I2),LEN(E2),".....") Where the word is E2 and the sentence is I2. At the moment, if the word is "work" and the sentence is "I worked at home" I get the sentence "I .....ed at home". Any ideas how I could capture any remaining letters at the end of the word and get the result "I ..... at home"? I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Chris can you upload example, would be easier to view -- Message posted from h...

Offset text print problems
recently all of my excel documents are printing the text offset from the gridlines. I have checked through every setting I can think of and am having no luck. I have even changed the font I am using. Any ideas on why this is happening and or how to fix it ? I have no idea, but I'd start with the printer driver. Either get a fresh or new driver from your printer's manufacturer. You may even want to try it on a different printer to see if that makes a difference. IMC Techie wrote: > > recently all of my excel documents are printing the text offset from the > gridlines....

find and replace hyperlink?
Hi, I want to globally find and replace the contents of a hyperlink with a new hyperlink. For example, I want this Jul.xls#'Title Page'!A1 to be replaced with Aug.xls#'Title Page'!A1 I can't seem to find a way do it. Is there a way? Thank you, Mike Take a look at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm look for: Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks) If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm me wrote: > > Hi, I want to g...

Filter query from text box
I have a query that is filtered out by a year. I have a form that the user enters in the year. In the query, if I just put in a year of 2009. It works fine. If I replace the filter criteria to this: [Forms]![frmSalesAnalysis]![Year] I get a ODBC-Failed error. Any ideas. Thanks, Jasper Post SQL of query by opening in design view, click on VIEW - SQL View, hightlight all, copy, and paste in a post. -- Build a little, test a little. "Jasper Recto" wrote: > I have a query that is filtered out by a year. > > I have a form that the ...

Extracting the number from a text
Hi, In a cell say C3, the value is such as S9(09)V(05). the value of that cell might be in one of the following format: (1) S(9)V(5) (2) S9(09)V(05) (3) S9(9)V(05) (4) S9(09)V(5) (5) S(11) My requirement is: i need to get the numbers extracted which, is present before & after the letter 'V' & enclosed in parantheses. In some cases, the letter V may not be there. (for ex: point 5 - here, only one number is there ie.11) This extraction should happen ONLY if the cell E3 has the value "COMP-3." Thanks in Advance. Venkatesh V First number: =IF($E$3="COMP...

Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP
I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97 which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3. I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I already have and still operat...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

replace a negative result with a zero?
I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is negative. Any help is greatly appreciated. -- Pam Well, what is the formula that you are using? You could try this: =3DMAX(your_formula,0) to replace your_formula. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 19, 5:17=A0pm, Pam2277 <Pam2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have my formula entered but need it to return a zero if the result is > negative. =A0Any help is greatly appreciated. > -- > Pam Hi, =if(your formula<0,0,your formula) "Pam2277" wrote: > ...

delete rows which have a one in them
i've got this code built that will delete a row if there is a one in column h but it's not working sub delete() finalrow = celss(rows.count, 1).end(xlup).row for i = finalrow to 2 step -1 if cells(i, 8) = 1 then cells(i, 1).entirerow.delete endif next i end sub it doesn't work, what do you think is wrong? Try this. Sub Macro1() ' count down through the rows(from bottom to the top) For MyRow = Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Rows.Count To 2 Step -1 ' check column H for a "1" If Worksheets...

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

Access 2002/2003 VBA What kind of file is .CRC (Binary, text) ? How do I read it with FreeFile()?
Dear All Access 2002 w/SP3 Access 2003 w/SP2 Windows XP Pro w/SP2 Type of file: CRC File Opens with: Unknown application I want to read all the data in a .CRC file I know I can read it using FSO, if I click on File name -> right click on properties, Changes and choose the notepad to open it. But I do not want to do this, I want to open the file as is using FreeFile() and read all the data The file was created using a program called CdCheck http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/ Can someone please help? Thanks in advance Regards, Antonio Macias rebelscum0000 <piiixp@jedikeeper.com> wro...

Password locking one row and colum containing formula
To stop "nuisence experts" changing my spreadsheet formula (haven't we all met these people!!) I want to secure one row of cells and one column of cells whilst leaving the remaining worksheet accessable for data entry. I can lock the whole worksheet but have got bogged down trying to just secure (with Password) the cell and column containing the worksheet formula. Hi John All cells are Locked by default, which only becomes invoked when you Protect the sheet. So, select the range of cells from B2 to wherever you want, Format Cells>Protection>untick locked. Tools>...

Customized Text Fields
I am having a problem seeing the data from customized text fields in the Resource Usage view. For example I have a text field for charge numbers that are assigned to each task. I can view it in the Ghantt Chart. However, when I go to the Resource Usage view and insert that text column the data doesn't appear. -- DJW In article <2A53FDE3-F008-4134-838C-268B567209F8@microsoft.com>, DWilliams <DWilliams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am having a problem seeing the data from customized text fields in the > Resource Usage view. For example I...

Text Overlayment
Is there a way to overlay on letter with another - so that both are visible? Or is there some way to create a composite? For examples: M overlaying W or P overlaying X or T overlaying O? WordArt? Create a text box on the Master page with your first letter, on the publication page create another text box with the second letter. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PatJennings" <pfjennings@charter.net> wrote in message news:usKPm$xfGHA.356@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to overlay on l...

Selective Replace in Search and Replace
I need to search and replace in a large document. I don't want to replace the entire search term/expression just part of it. In this case I am searching for a paragraph return followed by any letter (not digit) and then want to change that to paragraph/tab but keep the letter. The search looks like this ^p^$ but naturally if replace is ^p^t I lose the first letter of the text string which I don't want How can I construct either search and replace so that ^p Alexander turns into ^p ^tAlexander and not ^p ^tlexander Thanks in a...

alternate quoted text formatting?
Is there any way to change Outlook's behaviour vis-a-vi quoted text in replies. It uses vertical bars to indicate quote level, but these just don't show up (in any consistent way) when viewed in any non-Outlook mail client. I'd much prefer Outlook to use ">" for quoted text or at least some method that is not limited to viewing in Microsoft clients. The only way I can find to do this is to use the view all mail as plain text option, but then if I'm forwarded an e-mail from an Outlook user where there is already quoted text in the vertical bars style, these are jus...

optimum method to print rows as columns
looking to convert each spreadsheet row to print as a column per page -- Concord If you've got more than one or two rows to deal with, the optimum is probably the macro below. You'll need to change the names of the two worksheets involved, and the "EmptySheet" referred to may even have to be added to your workbook if all the sheets in it are currently being used for something. To put the code to work: Start by making a copy of your workbook to test things with. Then open that copy and press [Alt]+[F11] and choose Insert-->Module and then copy and paste...

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Format Column
I have a column with inmate id numbers in it. I imported them from a text based program. I made a custom formatting for the column because all the id numbers begin with zero. IE 00112356 or 01555666 etc... The format I used was 00000000 under custom. The problem now is that I want to import them into access but access doesn't see the zero at the beginning. How can I make it show the literal number including the zeros? I tried adding the '01222555 before the number, but I would have to manually append 2000 records. Is there a faster way? Morph. Hi you could use a helper column...

One outbox message does not send
Ocassionally one message in my Outbox does not send. The message title for this message in the outbox is not in italics (required for sending). How do I get it to change back to italics and to send? I've re-opened it and used "Send" and tried numerous other tricks to no avail. -- Dmartinaus (Austin) Just create a new message by copying and pasting the body of the message in a new message window. There is no point in wasting any time trying to figure out what has gone wrong. Your message has been corrupted with Peter Foldes cum! PERIOD. hth "dm...

Replace wildcards with a space
I have a text field with all values containing an asterisk. The asterisk can be located anywhere within the contents. I am trying to replace the asterisk with a space. I will then use TRIM to remove any spaces at the beginning of the text. I have been unable to get an update query to work. When my criteria is like "~[*}", Access says that 0 rows will be updated. When the criteria is [*], I am asked to enter a parameter value. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - bkh Barbara wrote: >I have a text field with all values containing an aste...

One record
Hi How can i make it so i only get one record on a page? regrads alvin Place a pagebreak in the detailsection under your fields... hth -- Maurice Ausum "alvin Kuiper" wrote: > Hi > How can i make it so i only get one record on a page? > > regrads > alvin > Or set the force new page property of the detail section to "After Section" or "Before Section" or even "Before and After Section" -- John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland Baltimore County .. ...

How to count X's in a column
Hi, I need to count the number of X's that appear in column B. What would the best function be to do this? Many thanks, Marie -- Marie1uk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Marie1uk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20984 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=562016 =COUNTIF(B:B,"X") -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Marie1uk" <Marie1uk.2b39it_1153138207.1095@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote...